To Have A Wandering Soul

By authoranonymous97

If you are not a Seban you are worthless. If you are not a Seban you are inferior mind, body and soul. If y... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Chapter 5

532 13 0
By authoranonymous97

Caroline rolled over in bed, stretching as the morning light pulled her from what had been a peaceful sleep, but she was ready to take anything the world could throw at her, she knew she could survive it so long as Adrian was at her side.  Dangling her feet over the edge of the bed she glanced over her shoulder at him, he was sleeping still, as he was most mornings, the sunlight didn’t have such an effect on him.  She smiled down at his peaceful figure, loving the way that the sun fell on his face, illuminating his features.  Grabbing her camera Caroline took a picture of him sleeping, setting her camera on the nightstand she gently ran her hand along his cheek, trying not to wake him.  She admired his features for a moment before departing the room to take a shower as she did every morning.

As she was in the shower Caroline recollected the night before, wondering to herself why he had kissed her back.  Was it because he had been trained to do so? Or was it because he actually cared for her?  It would break Caroline’s heart if his had been taken by someone else, but she knew that he would never tell her if it was. Running her hands through her wet hair Caroline speculated how she would ask him, she knew that she could never bring herself to pull rank when it came to a relationship, she wanted him to desire her as much as she desired him.  It was times like these that she hated Adrian’s near perfect training.

Stepping out from under the hot water Caroline dried herself off got dressed and dried her straight brown hair.  She had made her decision, she would act as though nothing had happened, if Adrian brought it up she would know that he cared for her enough to pursue it, if he did not, that would be her answer.  Making sure she looked presentable to take pictures for the royal family Caroline opened the bathroom door and began preparing her camera, but not without noticing that Adrian had disappeared from the room.

It was a matter of minutes before she heard the door open behind her and his voice, more timid than usual.

“Mistress?”

“Hm,” she replied turning her head.

He was standing just inside the door with a tray of food in his hands, head downcast.  He set the tray on the table by the couch and knelt next to it.  Caroline wearily sat down in front of him.

“What’s this for?”

“I want to ask forgiveness.”

“For what?”

“I forgot my training.”

“What do you mean?”

“Last night, I was supposed to do,” he hesitated. “More for you. I’m sorry I didn’t”

Caroline grasped Adrian’s wrist and pulled him up to sit next to her on the couch.  He sat on the cushion, head downcast, awaiting her reply.  She lightly touched his chin and he looked up into her eyes.

“Adrian do you remember four years ago, when you first told me how scared you were when you came to Seba?” He nodded as she continued. “I made you a promise that day that I would never do the things that they had done to you.  It’s a promise I intend to keep, I didn’t kiss you last night because I wanted more, and I’ll admit it was against my better judgment to do so but I couldn’t help myself.”

“So you’re not going to punish me then?”

“No,” she laughed sitting back against the couch, “I do want to ask you a question though, will you be entirely honest with your answer?”

“I will.”

“Why did you kiss me back?”

“I could never resist you.”

“That’s all?  You were trained to do so therefore you did?”

“Yes...No.”

“No?”

“Mistress I am not your equal.”

“If you were, what would you say?”

“I would say that I’ve had the most amazing five years with you and,” he looked down at the couch, not finding it in himself to look her in the eye as he continued. “I want nothing more than to hear you say the same. Perhaps more."

"What more?"

"I've always been jealous of the men you've been with, I would ask if I could be one of them. But please mistress don't punish me for saying these things. I understand I am not worthy."

“What would you do if I said yes?”

His head popped up at her reply.

“Why would you do that?”

“In the five years that I’ve known you none of the men I’ve seen have compared, you set a standard that nobody else can live up to.  I fell for you a long time ago, but I couldn’t do anything without knowing how you felt first.”

"Mistress I am a pet, an object to please you, you don't need to consider my feelings."

"You really believe that Adrian?"

"It is the truth."

The two sat in silence, each waiting for the other to say something more, finally Caroline spoke.

“You know we do have to go back to the palace today.”

“When?”

“Soon.  Do you want to shower?”

“I should.”

“Go then.”

Caroline took off Adrian’s collar and cuffs; leaving him to walk into the bathroom while she ate the breakfast he had brought her.  The fruit and oatmeal was long gone when he emerged again, Caroline looked warily over at him.

“We should go.”

“Aren’t you forgetting something?”

Caroline stopped in her tracks, suddenly remembering that she had forgotten to replace his collar and cuffs.  Breathing an 'oops' she returned to the room and put them back on in the same manner she did most mornings, her sitting on the couch and him kneeling before her.  After buckling the cuffs onto his wrists and the collar to his neck she stood, considering helping him off the floor, but knowing he would not accept left him to stand on his own. They made their way to the car and drove to the palace in silence.

“Adrian while we’re here there’s nothing I can do to protect you should the need arise.  These people are all in high stations and I can refuse them nothing.  Just stick close to me and try not to attract any attention, I couldn’t stand something happening to you.”

“Okay,” came his reply.  Caroline moved to get out of the car and began to walk down the long path to the castle.  Adrian followed her to the large oak doors leading into the royal family’s house. This time upon being announced in the king’s personal office they found him accompanied by a tall woman, likely a head taller than himself when inches were not added to his height by the crown atop his head,

She was dressed in a royal blue gown than clung to her sickly thin frame; a deep purple cloak was draped across her shoulders.  Her long blonde hair hung in perfect ringlets down her back and was topped with a crown fitting to her position as the queen of Seba.

Both turned to the door from the papers they had been bent over as the slave’s voice made Caroline’s presence noticed.

“Ah-Miss Tonik, so glad you could make it.  My wife, the queen, wishes to discuss locations with you.

“Of course your majesty.”

The queen spoke as she walked toward Caroline, her voice high and her words firmly annunciated.

“Caroline, I’ve seen your work.  You do have promise as a photographer, but I’m not convinced that you have what it takes for a high profile job as thus.  I’ve taken the liberty of choosing where you will take each set of photographs. Now this process, of course, will take, at least, a matter of days,” the queen turned and pulled a sheet of paper from the desk behind her, handing it to Caroline and pointing as she spoke.

“You will position the family portrait in the throne room at point A, portraits of King Duncan and myself in the garden at point B.  Your king’s personal portraits will be done in the armory at point C, my own in the parlor at point D.  You will take the portraits of the twins together in the garden as well, Violet will have her individual portraits in the great hall at point E and Vincent will begin in the stables at point F.  Do you understand me?”

Caroline’s eyes had begun to glaze over as the queen’s voice, which wasn’t pleasant to listen to even if she was speaking on the most interesting subject in the world, had droned on and on about places on the small map.  Quickly Caroline nodded, even though she had only really paid attention to under half of the instructions she had been given.

“Of course your highness.” She responded with respect.

"We will begin the family photographs today. Slave! Summon the twins."

From a dark corner of the room a young boy of ten appeared, running out of the room to carry out his mistresses orders. Soon enough he was back in the room, announcing the entrance of the twenty year old twins.

Vincent was the slight elder; he had about three minutes on his sister from what Caroline had heard.  He was tall, shorter than Adrian but still nearing six foot.  His hair was blonde and curly, his eyes blue matching the blue of his regal attire.  He wore a small metal band atop his locks indicating his place as the rightful heir to the throne of Seba.

Violet was almost a polar opposite to her brother and seemed the picture of a perfect princess.  She could not have been taller than five foot two, her height in deep contrast with the hip length of her wavy blonde hair. Her brown eyes were lined in light shades of pink that was almost exact to the color of her floor length ball gown.  She stood with perfect posture as though she was constantly aware of the jeweled tiara that was upon her head.

Each was followed by one of their personal slaves, likely their favorite.  The boy behind Vincent could not be older than sixteen years, likely purchased at the last Auction.  He was small and seemingly malnourished, lanky in his build, his shaggy shoulder length brown hair only added to the effect of his street child appearance.  The girl following Violet seemed the same, short shaggy hair, clearly much less cared for than the Princess herself.  The only way one would distinguish either child from one of the many poor homeless that roamed the streets of the capital was by the exquisite collars that adorned their necks.  Caroline couldn’t help but think that the collars alone had cost more than the slaves.

Caroline curtsied as they entered and Adrian dropped into a low bow as she did so.  They straightened to find both twins staring at them in evident interest.  

“Is this your dog?” The prince began.

“Yes,” Caroline nodded, taking Adrian’s arm into her hand and pulling him closer.

“How dare he stand in the presence of royalty?” The princess followed her brother’s question.

Immediately Adrian dropped to his knees, hoping that the princess would be happy with his compliance.  Instead she stepped closer to him, looking curiously at his owner in the process.

“How obedient is he?”

“Entirely your highness.”

“Down slave.”

Adrian fell onto his forearms, crouched before her with his forehead touching the floor.

“Lie.”    

He rolled onto his side, silently praying that she would soon be appeased.

“Up.”

He stood, obeying her command without delay.

“I should like to borrow him.  As you can clearly see my brother and I have no had such luck with choosing our own slaves, it becomes rather tiresome to hear sobbing every other moment.”

“How long do you wish this your highness?” Caroline inquired hesitantly.

“However long I wish it, but I am in a good mood today, I only wish to keep him for the night.”

“Young lady!” The queen called from across the room, “We will begin.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Maid By leoleno

Historical Fiction

711K 14.8K 32
I'm River. A slave. Brought on a ship and sold to the love of my life. Forbidden love? Yes. How I could I not love him? His eyes. His hair. His smile...
482K 13.4K 23
JACK MORETTI. Cynical, short-tempered and powerful. After signing a contract that gained a woman as collateral, he collects an irritable woman motiva...
72.6K 2.6K 12
Red Ashwell, 18 years old. She is an orphan in birth, but she has a big family in her orphanage. She is a kind-hearted. She loves her family a lot. S...
308K 9K 27
❝ I let myself believe you'll come to love me as much as you loved you're wife ―I've never been so wrong. ❞ In which she falls in love with an s...