The House of Beardsley

By flowersforleah

Ever since people could remember only men were allowed to enter the House of Beardsley, but for the first tim... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-five
Chapter Forty-six
Special Chapter 1
Special Chapter 2
Special Chapter 3 (Final)

Chapter Thirty-nine

3.4K 342 52
By flowersforleah

On the morning of the tea party I took out my everyday dress, then Beth and Clo gave it one look before showing their disdain for it.

"Come on!" Beth said. "We aren't working today, we are having a party!"

"Even Rhiannon finally dressed up," Clo said, turning around to show Rhiannon, who was wearing a powder blue dress. My eyes nearly fell out of its sockets: she looked youthful, no longer like she was attending a funeral, and her braid fell about her shoulder loosely, silky and golden. She smiled, still a dry smile, but most likely because of Clo's teasing.

"It's my only good dress," she said. "I wear it for Easter."

"Easter was last month, though," Beth said. But there she was, dressed up more gaudily than any of us, in a red and white dress that reached her calves—which would definitely upset Mister Kupka, and clean white gloves and stockings and heeled red shoes. It was no longer the season for boots, only.

"I don't have any other dresses," I whispered.

"No way!" Beth went into my wardrobe, which I was surprised she didn't memorize yet, and then my trunk, and sure enough, there were only long black or grey dresses or coats. Not even a simple Sunday dress like Clo's current purple one.

"This is a problem," Beth muttered. "Eugene would be disappointed."

"What do you mean?"

Ignoring me, Beth went into one of her trunks and dug through the dresses. On cue, both Clo and Rhiannon leaned over her to inspect the interior. One by one she pulled out dresses of multiple colors before throwing them to Clo or Rhiannon's hands.

"Let's choose one for Shuyan," she decided.

"I can't!" I looked at the dresses. "I've never wore anything like that, besides for the Christmas ball." And it was true: all her dresses were full of ribbons and had to be laced up. I didn't know how to wear it.

"My waist also isn't as small as yours," I added.

"You're skinny, I think you can fit," Rhiannon observed. She was right, I was skinny, most likely from my horrid diet at the orphanage, not because of Beth's rigorous corset routine.

"Stand up," Clo demanded, in her hands a pink dress. I stood up hesitantly, and she held the dress against my nightgown.

"I look horrid in bright pink," I said.

"Then this one." Rhiannon held a white dress against me. "This will suit you fine."

"That one is nice!" Clo added. I looked down at it. It had buttons from the neck down to the bodice, but ruffles around the shoulder-line and lace about the collar. There was a sash at the waist and the skirt billowed out and was long, reaching just above my ankles.

"They'll look nice with boots," said Beth. "And a big hat."

"Yes," Clo said. "Now turn around and we'll dress you up."

"No, I'm fine," I tried to argue, but the girls started prepping my hair, letting it loose with one white ribbon tying a part of it up, and dressing me up in the dress. It did fit perfectly, if not a bit too tight. I swirled one front of the mirror and was surprised to see myself.

My face was flushed and I was happy, and the girls too, surrounding me in a sea of red, purple, and blue. We laughed before going downstairs.

When we went downstairs, we were surprised to see the staff all dressed up too. They all wore a simple white shirt with trousers, some with vests, some without, and an assortment of cravats. They also all had their best hats and shoes on for occasion. Even Mister Kupka seemed to have styled his hair.

"It's still quite inappropriate, in my opinion, for you to eat with us, Lady Elizabeth," he said, making a stiff face. Beth laughed.

"Please!" She tucked her hair behind her ears—it used to only be past her chin, but it reached her shoulders. "I'm staying here until the very end, as Beth, not Elizabeth. Now come, look at the tea party me, Otis, and the twins prepared!"

We shuffled out of the servants' dining hall, chattering and nervous about the first tea party with the Beardsleys—even Mister Kupka never had had been in one in the entirety of his employment. Once we were outside, a familiar voice shouted,

"Happy Belated Easter, and the reunion of Olive and Rhiannon, and Elizabeth and Elias!"

Augustin was there, dressed in a white shirt and checked grey trousers. He gestured out into the garden, grass green and flowers in bloom, and there was a table far out in the middle, where the men sat. Valentin looked up at us and smiled.

"Come on, sit," he said.

"Oh, no, Master Valentin, let me," his valet, Clifford, said, and immediately rushed to his side, but Valentin shook his head firmly.

"No, Clifford. Take a rest today, I insist." With that, Clifford looked at us helplessly, and Matheus clapped his hand on his shoulder and guided him to a seat.

The picnic tables were brought outside and had tablecloths laid over them already, as well plates and utensils set up. It was sloppily done, as expected from well-sheltered boys who never worked a day in their lives, but their sincerity showed through.

"Elizabeth! Everyone!"

There was Elias, who was dressed in a simple cream trouser ran up to us. Olive followed, and crashed into Rhiannon's skirts wordlessly, then looked up at her and laughed, cheeks ruddy. Beth grinned with pride.

"How do you like the tea party? I decided on the menu and decors, and the twins set everything up."

"You are getting well with them," Elias said. Beth shrugged.

"It's not too bad—having brothers. It's less lonely." She looked at him. "It's been a long time since I've had so much fun."

They looked at each other and talked happily. It was hard to believe only a few days ago Beth had been so angry with him.

"Clo."

Clo and I, the only two still alone, turn around, and see Harper walking up to Clo. He gave me a nod of acknowledgement before turning to Clo again.

"You look nice in that dress."

I almost choked on air. Clo noticed and shot me a look before turning to Harper.

"I told you I despise unnecessary comments!"

Harper only smiled. He was less gloomy, and I heard him talk more now. Mostly to a certain girl.

"I don't think it's unnecessary to say the truth." Even Clo was unable to argue with that. She turned to me for help, but I only smiled.

"I think I'll go," I said, and despite her mouth opening, I turned around and left.

That's what you get for dressing me up, I thought.

When I was walking to the other side, where the other valets were preparing the masters' side of the table, I heard a voice call out my name.

"Shuyan!"

Eugene and Tobias were walking together. Eugene has one hand on his cane and was waving to me with his other. I touched my hair, suddenly conscious of how I looked, but then I smiled and waved.

"Go," Matheus said to me. "I'll finish preparing the last of it—you shouldn't work when wearing such a pretty dress."

"Thank you, Matheus," I said, and then ran to the two masters.

"Good morning, Master Eugene, Master Tobias," I said. "I'm glad the weather is so good."

"Yes," Eugene turned his head around to survey the landscape. "The rainy season has made the place even prettier. It's even better than how it looks from the window." He turned to Tobias, eyes soft. "I wonder how long it has been since I last walked outside."

"Be sure to stay warm," Tobias said. "The sun isn't fully up yet." Eugene nodded.

"Oh yes," he turned to me. "Silas won't be here today."

"Why?" I asked, aghast. "Are you sure it'll be fine? That he's not doing anything suspicious?"

"He won't," Eugene said. "Now that there's a will for sure, he knows he can't do anything. Rachel Mondeschein has him, all of us, in fact, under her thumb."

"More like under Elizabeth's thumb," Tobias muttered, and I couldn't help but agree. "She's the final piece. The most important piece."

"Oh, it's not chess, Tobias. Let's have fun with her. And call her Beth—she's our sister, after all."

Tobias didn't look sold on the idea, but Eugene didn't care. He laughed as he talked to us, and brought us to a table.

"We shouldn't sit separated by class," he said. "It's a tea party meant to celebrate the uniting of both sides! Miss Rhiannon shall sit with Olive, and Beth with Elias."

"But—" Phillip protested, "your late father never—"

"Father's gone," Eugene said, but not in a cold way. "But I'm sure he, being a man who adopted Olive knowing his background, would not do anything to keep him separated from someone who loves him."

"Yes, that indeed does sound like Lord Adam Beardsley," Mister Kupka said, puffing up his chest. "I was his valet for years, and I know how much value he puts in families."

"Even though he was fine separating mother and Elias," Beth muttered, but then she shrugged. "Oh, men."

"Since when did you talk like that?" Clo asked. She sat with Rhiannon, and Rhiannon poured her tea, and she thanked her.

Eugene pulled out a seat for me, then Tobias pulled out a seat for Eugene to sit in and then sat next to him himself.

"Oh, yes," Eugene remembered, "I'll pour you tea today in return for always helping me out."

"But—"

"It's fine," Matheus prompted me, a few seats away, laughing with Rudy and Otis. "Today all the masters are serving us. We should simply be grateful and thank them."

I nodded. Eugene stood up and started pouring my tea. Tobias only looked at him spilling tea onto the tablecloth for a minute before sighing and standing up too, teaching him how to do it.

The two brothers were so different yet got along surprisingly well. Tobias was neat and composed, from his hair to his mannerisms, while Eugene was casual, hair brushed back but still falling into his eyes, laughing through the lesson he was getting from his brother.

"Here's your tea," he finally presented to me, on a beautiful white saucer with blue flowers.

I looked at it in awe.

"What are you waiting for?" Tobias asked.

"Nothing." I chuckled to myself. "Thank you, Master Eugene, Master Tobias." I took the cup into my hands and then sipped it. As expected, Otis made the perfect tea for a perfect tea party.

"You look nice today," Eugene said with wide smile, and I wondered if he was doing it on purpose—some teasing of some sorts.

"Thank you," I said again, wishing the talk could end there, but it didn't. Instead, he turned to Tobias.

"Tobias, Shuyan looks beautiful with her hair down, and in the dress, doesn't she?"

"Hmm," Tobias took a sandwich, already cut into a triangle, from one of the arrays of plates. They looked like colorful bouquets, the dessert plates, and the many sandwiches and biscuits too looked extremely appetizing and light for a morning meal.

He turned to look at me, and then our eyes met, and he turned back.

"Yes, I suppose she does look pleasant like that."

Eugene turned around with a grin, like saying "See, I told you!", but I could only look down around in embarrassment. This must've been how Clo felt when Harper complimented her.

"Did you know Tobias's favorite type of dessert is chocolate pudding?" Eugene said, as he also took a sandwich.

"I'm surprised," I admitted. "Master Tobias doesn't seem like he eats desserts."

"That's Silas," Tobias said. "I can't help what I like, and chocolate pudding, like chess, is one of the few hobbies I indulge in."

"Indulge in?" I repeated after him. Eugene chuckled; a childish laugh that made us feel like children again.

"The thing is, he periodically has Otis make it for him and bring it to his room after dinner so he can enjoy it alone," Eugene whispered into my ear. I laughed loudly, forgetting Tobias was there. He looked at us with his usual frown as we chuckled over his curious habits.

"Eugene, too, has his own quirks," he finally said after we were done. His lips turned up a little, a little glint in his eye.

"Oh, no," Eugene said, still laughing. "Now I've made Tobias mad!"

"Yes, you have, and I'll expose your secrets now."

"I want to hear!" Augustin jumped into the conversation, and then Tobias finally broke out in a grin I've never seen before, cheeks full and eyes relaxed.

The brothers and staff crowded around the two, and yes, I could see it too: a beautiful future if Eugene were to become the next Lord. It would be a mansion where tea parties would be held frequently and laughter would echo throughout the estate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Husband Wanted (HC #1) By Flo

Historical Fiction

68.4K 4.3K 29
Elizbeth Anne Humphrey wants a husband. Her expectations are not outlandish; all she asks is that he be reasonably handsome, reasonably wealthy and...
127K 9.3K 68
On a small farm in China, Peizhi Jiang is born. Because she is born physically different from everyone else being both Black and Asian, Peizhi lives...
1.2M 67.1K 43
What is a proper young lady to do when she finds a stranger sleeping in her bed? Angelique Grafton doesn't know much about love. Resigned to marry th...
Above All By bb2410

General Fiction

50K 6.2K 110
"I mean what's a party if they're no Idizians, am I right?" The night of the Day of Doves changes everything for Amani Cloutier, a 27-year old top ag...