Goodbye to the Knight✔️

By SouthernAlps

[COMPLETED] "We lock eyes and even at this distance I see the fire burning within, his power radiating outwar... More

Welcome!
Prologue I
Prologue II
Prologue III
Prologue IV
Prologue V
1. Banquet Preparations
2. A proposal
3. Freedom
4. Rolling is better than walking
5. Forgotten table etiquette
6. Apples are necessary
7. Talk at the market
8. A goodbye
9. The best place to keep a knife is tied to your leg
10. Leon? Really?
11. What a scumbag
12. I insist
13. The Horse King
14. Royally screwed
15. Stick to the same story
16. One pound for the three of ye
18. Leon, king of jousting!
19. Cat and mouse
20. Maybe your pinky
21. The wise women
22. Becoming a graveyard
23. A flicker in the darkness
24. Of course good knight
25. A different side
26. Hair can wait
27. Pulling off the male look
28. A wall of steel
29. Flint and steel
30. The plague
31. The truth
32. An angel's kiss
33. Why lie?
34. Swanhild's Valley
35. One on one combat
36. If you wish
37. We don't have all day
37. A wizened grin
38. Tirunthius
39. Who is he?
40. We shall see
41. A challenge
42. Fireflies
43. Swamped by maidens
Not an update!
44. Dancing is my forte
45. Like magic
46. You will pay
47. We are strong
48. Time to fight
49. A bad joke
50. England... cold, wet and dreary?
51. Butterflies
52. You are our guests
53. A rather odd relationship
54. Snowflakes
55. Code of chivalry
56. Goodbye to the knight
57. The world has turned to cabbage
58. Runaway scum
59. Chaffinches
60. A thousand times over
Epilogue
Authors Note

17. A privy pot plant

2.3K 144 69
By SouthernAlps

We easily find our room, however unlocking it seems to be the real challenge. The key slots in perfectly well just will not turn no matter how hard Killian tries to twist it.

"Any chance that it is the wrong key?" Sage questions.

"No, it has to be this one, it fits exactly," Killian sighs and drops his hand defeatedly.

"Okay how about Killian and I go grab our bags from the horses and get Merik for help and Leon, in the meantime, you can stay here and keep trying." Sage suggests.

Pfft, the chances of me being able to unlock it after Killian has tried for a solid chunk of time are not high at all.

"Sounds like a plan. Here," Killian passes me the key, his rough hand grazing mine, sending a slight shiver up my arm, "good luck."

"Thanks."

Killian and Sage then walk off down the small hallway, or rather passage, lined with doors, Killian's large shaped frame being slightly too tall and so he has to stoop slightly.

I do a little jiggle once they're gone to get my brain working again, and turn my attention back to the door. I slide the key in, and although I don't expect a different result to Killian, I turn it anticlockwise. No movement whatsoever, which makes no sense. At a frequently used inn no lock should be that hard to get into, and definitely not that stiff. Things are not adding up.

Taking the key out I peer into the lock, and then feel like an idiot because all I can see is darkness. Okay take two, I place the key back in and instead of trying to force it with all my strength I jiggle it about, maybe it needs to be in the exact position in the hole, still nothing.

"Argh," I let out a quiet frustrated groan and twist the key again and suddenly the door swings open. I stand there in momentary shock, what just happened? Suddenly the gears in my head click, I twisted the key clockwise then by accident, the lock is a backwards lock, it all makes sense.

Giving myself a virtual pat on the back I enter the room. It is medium sized, a large double bed lies in the centre, a bed side table sits on either side of it with candles on them. I let out a yawn, the weariness getting the better of me and my stomach has a slight ache to it also, and go flop onto the bed. It's so soft, and I smile in relief, we've made it this far and tonight we will be able to sleep well in comfort.

The sound of voices begins to be heard from outside and I quickly jump up, the sleepiness going and I'm now full on alert. I cautiously go take a peak around the door and in relief just see Killian, Sage and Merik coming down.

"Ah, ye worked out the door!"

"I turned the key the other way," I mumble.

"Nice Leon!" Sage exclaims and walks through the doorway, plunking our bags down, Killian following behind him.

"I'll take it ye don't need me help anymore?" Merik says but Killian quickly starts talking.

"Actually I wouldn't mind one piece of advice, who would be a good person to buy a good horse off?"

"That would be Martha you want to find." He smiles, "She's got the stables out behind the bakery which will be quite easy for ye to find."

"Thank you for the help," Merik leaves and Killian turns to us. "I shall go find myself a horse, Sage if its all right with you, I would love a final horse check over once I've chosen, just to be sure that it'll be good for this journey?"

"Yes that works fine, just come find me when you have chosen, Leon and I will be doing a check over on our horses so we shall be around here somewhere."

"Okay, see you lads later," He nods then walks off.

I wait for a few seconds once his back has disappeared then begin talking normally. "Sage! At this rate I'm either going to go insane by not being able to talk, or," I pause, "I'm going to lose my real voice!"

Sage laughs, "You can't lose your real voice, however I do think if you gradually start talking more no suspicions will be raised."

"Yeah agreed, and I mean there are loads of men out there with higher voices anyway."

Sage sends me a look.

"Okay, there are a few men out there with higher voicers, maybe I'm just one of the late bloomers."

"Yeah, that's believable, now you ready for the real fun?"

"Learning to ride?" He nods, "Of course I am, but first lemme grab an apple from the bag, do you want one?"

I walk over to the bags and start rummaging.

"Yeah, do chuck us one,"

I grab two apples, both bruised but edible, and we leave, this time using the back door at the other end of the passageway, leading out to the stables.

"Ell! This place has its own privy!" Sage suddenly exclaims and I spin around the face him, eyes wide in disbelief.

"What? Where?"

"Over there!" He points towards a door on the far right with a little sign saying privy on.

"Well, in that case, I am heading there right now!"

Sage laughs, "Of course you are, I'm going after just to see what its like!"

I dash into the room, and do a miniature dance, cottages never really have their own privy, only the rich usually do, or in cities they sometimes have public latrines on the bridges, so to find one here of all places is exciting.

There a sound come from the pit that is covered by a well worn wood plank with a hole in, I peer in and realise that there is running water below, ahh so this is above a small stream that must flow into the river. Luckily the inn down river to much of the village so they wont be getting dirty water washed down for them to use.

I sit down and start relieving myself. My eyes suddenly catch onto something I had missed before, a flash of green on the floor beside me. I look down and realise that I have blessed even further with a privy pot plant, that being a potted plant, with soft leaves, placed in the privy for those wishing to wipe, who can easily pluck of a leaf. I'd come across it only at the Earl's castle and never anywhere else.

When I travel passed here again I will be sure to stop the night here, it certainly is worth the cost.

Plucking a leaf I wipe and then my good mood decreases rapidly. Blood. You have got to be kidding me.

"Sage," I call out softly.

A pause.

"Yes? You okay in there?"

"Can you do me the biggest favour?"

"Sure?"

"In my purse which is hung around the left hand post of the bed, there are some rolled up strips of red fabric, could you please bring one of them to me please?"

There's a pause, and then a whisper, "Has your... moon flow started?"

I blush, "Yes, now please can you get it!"

"Sorry, of course, I'm going, I'll be back shortly, umm bye!" He rambles on before going. Moments later he returns and knocks on the door, I awkwardly hobble over and stick my hand around the door and he passes it to me.

"Thank you Sage!"

I quickly seat myself again and wrapped my flow fabric around my underpants. Killian is going to think I have problems over the next few days with the amount of times I will be needing to privately 'relieve' myself.

I then emerge, an awkward blush on both of our faces, "I'm sorry you had to deal with that Sage."

Us women keep our flow stuff to ourselves, hardly every sharing with any males so this is a rare and awkward encounter.

Sage nods and then goes in himself and I inwardly groan at what the next few days will hold.

A/N:

Double update!! Whoaaa, crazy! I felt like it as a celebration for 50 votes - THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH - and hope you enjoyed this random chapter! 

Sorry to any reader who don't like reading/discussing 'moon flows' aka periods! It's a part of history that isn't usually talked about, but a very big part of womens lives. Also from what I could gather researching, it is unknown whether underpants were worn by women in this time period but ya know, my county my history;) Along with underpants the 'privy pot plant' is only found in Ardonshire ahaha ;)

SouthernAlps over and out...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

674 111 10
*** OPEN NOVELLA CONTEST 2021 - HONORABLE MENTION *** The year is 1907, and Amalthea Huntley, Countess of Claremont, is bored. Recently widowed at...
1.1K 74 33
BOOK 1 OF HENRIETTA TRILOGY. TO BE EDITED. *** I was a young boy who wished nothing but to be loved. But one day, as I was reminiscing a memory of my...
108K 4K 64
Medieval England - Year 1450: Eleanor was a poor shopkeeper's daughter whose only hope for a better life for herself and her family was to marry well...
181 84 20
I would like to thank everyone who will take the time to read this historical-fantasy book. The story takes place in Wales, around 1300, concerns tw...