The Shrewd Wolves (H&HP Serie...

By shruthii

"You don't want a mate and neither do I. So for the sake of our wolves, let's just complete the mating proces... More

Description
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Epilogue

Chapter 3

48.7K 1.6K 124
By shruthii

TSW WAS #12 IN ACTION THIS WEEK :D Thank-you soooo much for your support. I LOVE YOU ALL :D

Finally, Here is chapter 3 which is dedicated to @frasermagoo  :)

Indiana Evans as Darya>>>>

****

“Be calm, cool, and collected. Don't let that
handsome bastard have power over you.” 
― M.M. Kin
, Seeds Volume One

DARYA P.O.V

“Get me another drink” I said to my guard, Nick, handing him my empty glass.

“No” he said and I glared at him.

“I want another drink” I stated with a growl.

“Na… You are not going to drink yourself to death.”

“Pssh…” I said waving him off.  “I am going to drink only until I forget his face” I mumbled scowling at the mental image of Quillon Sanders.

God! He was so beautiful.  He had thick dark hair, shapely mouth and superbly tanned skin. He was tall and very well-built. It didn’t take a genius to figure he is an Alpha because he had that commanding air around him. His scent radiated authority.

His eyes…. God! They were as dark as a new moon night. I could never forget it. The way he was staring at me, with those deep intense eyes, not only added color to my cheeks but it also caused my heart to hammer in my chest.

In the looks department, he scored gold medal. But everything else, he deserved a medal made of iron or even better aluminum.

‘But he did scold his brother’ my wolf pointed out and I rolled my eyes. She has been gushing over Quillon ever since she realized who he was to her.

Nothing! He is nothing to me. I don’t want him and neither did he want me and I was pretty sure about that, what with the way he was looking at me. As if... As if I am some uncalled-for problem in his life.

Well, that’s good. I didn’t want him in the first place either.

But I want him, my wolf snarled at me in rage and I blinked. Geez, the female is going crazy. She has been reacting like that ever since I walked away from there.

Why did I walk away? I was in desperate need of privacy to think all this through.

I had planned to have a full on verbal argument with Quillon ever since I heard him accusing me of ‘disrespecting’ his daft brother. That idea turned kaput the moment I inhaled his wonderful scent.

Why? Why him of all the male wolves out there?

When Duncan asked me what am I going to do? I impulsively told him I am going to move on and pick someone even better than Quillon, which is why I was in this club, wearing a blue shimmer dress. The dress was not only short, but it was also so tight that I could hardly breathe. I didn’t need anyone else telling me that I looked like a hooker in this dress.

The club, the dress, the drink was all part of my brilliant plan of forgetting Quillon and finding someone better. But the problem is there was no one who was better than Quillon in any department here. Hell, when I looked at Vernon, my heart didn’t even skip a beat like it usually used to.

Instead, all I could think about was of Quillon. I was actually comparing every guy around me with Quillon. Some didn’t have that striking eyes. Some didn’t have that curly hair. Some weren’t tall enough. Some didn’t have that sexy voice. No one seemed to match Quillon.

God! Did I turn into a hopeless case?

I was disturbed from my thoughts when Nick placed a glass filled with some drink. I drank it in one go. To my bad luck that wasn’t enough for me.

“Get me another” I ordered and Nick shook his head.

“No. Six is more than enough” Nick said and I glared at him.

“Get me another drink” I said through gritted teeth.

“Darya-”

“Leave” I heard Sel saying from behind me and I stiffened. Nick looked at me with concern, nodded once and then walked away. While Sel stared at me from behind, I played with my bracelet.

With a sigh, Sel sat on the stool beside me which was earlier occupied by Nick.

“So, how is your brilliant plan working?” Sel asked cocking an eyebrow.

“Great” I said sardonically. “In fact seven guys asked for my number” I lied. They didn’t ask my number, they asked if I am ready to go to a quieter place. All the bastards, went home clutching their groins.

“Really?” Sel asked with an amused expression and I bristled like a porcupine. Shaking her head, she got straight to the point, “Why did you walk away?”

“I wanted time to think” I muttered staring at my empty glass. “Besides, it’s not like he tried to stop me” I said with a growl. My wolf didn’t think it that way. She blamed me for walking away. She thinks he might still be near the lake, waiting for me. As if…

“He might think you walked away after Duncan asked you to” Sel said and I shook my head. It had nothing to do with Duncan asking me to leave. I walked away because I wanted to clear my head.

When I woke up today morning, I had never thought I would meet my mate. It was like a huge blow to me, especially knowing it was Quillon.

“Don’t you want to know anything about him?” Sel questioned and I shook my head.

My wolf sniveled which caused my lower lip to tremble, “I want to know everything about him” I whispered in a low voice.

“Well, he knows almost everything about you” Sel said and I finally turned to look at her. It was only now I realized that the music had stopped and other than the two of us, there was no one else in the club.

However, I didn’t ponder over that because I knew she did it. Instead, I looked at Sel with keen interest. “The agent, Mike, who was asking questions about you with the pups, works for Quillon” Sel said and I paled. “Relax, he doesn’t know about your gifts” she was quick to add and I let out a breath, that I wasn’t even aware I was holding. “You know, the pups wouldn’t do that” she said and I nodded.

The pups in my pack are already trained how to reply when someone asks about me. They do tell some useless things about me to the agents, but they find much more about the agent himself, without his/her knowledge and then, inform it to Waylon, Duncan’s Beta.

My secret was safe and will continue to be safe until I choose to change that.

“So, what are you going to do?” Sel questioned and I merely shrugged. “You know, I knew everything about Duncan before I came to know he was my mate. However he knew nothing about me but we got to know each other by going out on a date” she said with a smile.

“A date?” I scoffed. I couldn’t picture us sitting together and eating something. However, I could picture me and Quillon sitting and having a glaring match.

“I don’t think he would tell me anything about himself, I think he would try finding out all the secrets of the pack from me” I grumbled.

“Why are you so keen on thinking the worst of him?” Sel asked with a frown. “Ever since Quillon took over as the Alpha, Serene and our pack had less fights” Sel pointed out.

“You didn’t see the way he was looking at me. It was like what-am-I-going-to-do with-her look. As if I am some kind of a pest that would mess up his life” I muttered with a frown. “Besides, why are you thinking the best of him?” I snapped. “I thought you five didn’t want me finding a mate.”

“It wasn’t like that” Sel muttered sheepishly. “It was more like I didn’t see anyone capable enough to be your mate. But Quillon… the boy seemed different.”

“Different?” I asked cocking an eyebrow. My wolf perked up at the same moment, “Good or bad different?”

“Only Lory can tell that. You know how good she is in judging others just by looking at them. But personally, right now, I think its good different.”

“But how different?” I demanded to know.

“I don’t know… it was just the way he was looking. His eyes… they conveyed that sort of message for me. He seemed…. Mysterious” she put it in one word and I smiled.

“I felt that way too” I said. “It was mostly when he was looking at me, the intensity of his stare. It was like he was trying to figure me out” I mumbled. “Also, I don’t want to go on a date with him. He doesn’t seem like the guy who has the patience to sit through five course of meal.”

“You never know…” Sel trailed off standing up.

You will never know anything about him if you don’t give him a chance, my wolf snapped. He is mine, my destined mate.

“Never judge a book by its cover” Sel said placing a hand on my shoulder.

Instead, you did the exact opposite. You thought the worst of him without even knowing anything about him. Didn’t you see the way he yelled at his brother, when he realized his brother was at fault? My wolf all but shouted. He is mine, she snarled and I winced.

“It’ll get worse if you keep denying it” Sel said sympathetically. “Let’s go” she said and I stood up.

Once I stepped into my house, I closed the door shut behind me. Duncan had given me this house, when I first came to live here with mom. After mom’s death, I moved in with Duncan and Sel, but last year, I finally convinced them to let me stay alone. So, I moved back to this house but I only sleep here because the rest of the day, I spend in their house, which is next to mine.

And today, when I was in desperate need of privacy, this house felt claustrophobic. It didn’t offer me any peace.

I sat on the couch and stared around. I had seen what mom went through after dad’s death. Do I want to go through the same thing? No. Do I want to put my mate through the same the same thing? Definitely no.

Running a hand through my hair, I thought about Quillon. Why I didn’t like him? His pack and my pack were enemies. But that’s just not it. Maybe the fights between the packs have reduced after Duncan and Quillon took over as Alphas, but the fights were still there.

I remember four years ago, when wolves from the pack accidently crossed the territory, Quillon had kept them in the prison for a whole month before letting them go. That whole month, their families didn’t know where they were and what had happened to them. I disliked Quillon that very moment.

When Duncan had captured their former beta he had let him go within a week that too without torturing him. Why couldn’t Quillon do the same?

Ask him why he did that? My wolf suggested and I blinked. Was she actually supporting me? I am pretty sure he has a good reason for doing it, she said and I rolled my eyes.

Supporting my foot!

He is mine, she whimpered and I gulped.

What can I do now? I walked away when he was there and now… now I don’t know when I will see him again. I don’t know if I will see him again. That thought brought another whimper from my wolf. She folded her legs and lowered her heads. She was quiet.

I would rather prefer her being rude and nasty than being quite. I just cannot tolerate it when she is quiet.

It is crystal clear to me that she is missing him already. How is it possible? I just met him today!

My wolf whined and I groaned. What can I do to cheer her? Maybe just talk to him and clear some stuff?

Immediately Quillon’s image popped into my head and I blinked. Well, I actually cannot go to his pack now, can I?

Taking a deep breath, I stood up, picked the car keys from the table and marched towards the door. Just when I reached my car, I saw a red wolf waiting for me near the gate. When he sensed me, he stood up and blinked.

‘Going somewhere?’ Nick asked me through the link and I smiled.

“Stop” I whispered lowly and Nick stopped running. He folded his legs and sat down on the ground, while I got off his back. Straightening my dress, I walked towards the bank of the lake.

It was almost close to nine at night. The stars shone brilliantly, but couldn’t match the moon’s brightness. Standing on the edge, I stared at the place where Quillon was standing a few hours earlier. It was empty. There was no one there now. Because of the brightness of the moon, I could clearly see that there was no one there now.

I just stood near the bank and kept staring, I don’t know for what. As the cool breeze hit me, I wrapped my arms around myself protectively.

Minutes passed by, while I just stood and recalled the earlier conversation we had. We spoke to each other like strangers and that is what we are. Complete strangers, yet destined mates.

My whole body shivered when once again I felt the breeze. Rubbing my palms on either of my arms, I turned to leave.

“Took you three hours to come here huh?” he asked from behind me in that deep sexy voice of his. My heart skipped a beat and my wolf jumped in delight.

He is here, he is here, she squealed in happiness.

Closing my eyes, I inhaled sharply and took in his wonderful scent. Curving my lips to form a smile, I turned to face Quillon.

He was there, standing tall, and looking sinfully attractive clad in a beige chinos and a black tee, that did nothing to hide his powerful muscles. His hands were buried inside his pocket and his dark curly hair ruffled in the breeze. Suddenly, my mouth ran dry and I was at a loss of words.

To hear him more clearly, I mentally, slowed the flow of the water in the lake.

I turned scarlet to the roots of my hair, when I found his dark penetrating eyes scanning me. Suddenly, he frowned and I blinked in confusion. “What are you wearing?” he questioned through gritted teeth and I frowned.

Really?

“It’s called a dress” I said in a duh tone and Quillon glared at me.

“Don’t talk to me with that tone” he snapped and I stiffened. “Do you go out dressed like that? And that too with him?” this time Quillon’s glare was directed at Nick.

It was then I noticed that Nick was standing and glaring at Quillon. “Nick” I called and he looked at me through the corner of his eyes.  ‘Leave. I need to talk to him… alone’ I added through the link.

‘Don’t let him boss you’ Nick murmured before walking away.

“I will wear whatever I like and Nick is my guard” I said in a causal tone.

“That kind of dress gives a come-on signal to males” he spat and I raised my brows. Well, he was right in that.

“Does it?” I asked innocently and was greeted with one more glare.

“You know it does” he said and then narrowed his eyes. Then suddenly he smirked, “What is it? Your attempt to tempt me?” he questioned cocking an eyebrow.

“Excuse me” I gasped. “The last thing I want to do is tempt you” I said through gritted teeth.

“Then why are you here?” he demanded.

“Why are you here?” I countered.

“I asked first” Quillon said and I rolled my eyes.

“I came here to pick my bracelet” I lied smoothly and then raised my hand and showed it to him. That bracelet was a gift to me from five Alphas’ and I have been wearing it since I was twelve. They all put a charm on it, every time I received my gift. Each charm represented an element.

He smirked because he knew I was lying.

“Now tell me, why are you here?”  I wanted to know whether he came here for the same reason, I did.

“I couldn’t sleep” he answered seriously and I blinked. “There is this grey eyed Barbie doll that is haunting me” he said faking a shudder.

“Did you just call me a Barbie doll?” I seethed.

“Do you prefer doll face?” he asked amused. I am going to drown him. I am going to drown him in the lake. That way, I will get rid of him once and for all. “I think you do” he answered for himself and I growled. “Temper, temper” he said in a sing-song voice.

“Nick” I called out loudly and Quillon’s smile got disappeared. Nick came rushing towards me, still in his wolf form and growled at Quillon, “Let’s go” I said and Quillon growled loudly. His growl was so loud that I actually felt intimidated.

“Leave” he almost thundered from the other side at Nick.

“You can go and order your wolves around but not the ones belonging to my pack” I spat in anger but Quillon wasn’t looking at me. His gaze was directed at Nick. I furrowed my brows and watched him in confusion. The way he stares with his dark eyes… it’s really intimidating.

“Leave” Quillon snarled.

My mouth dropped open as I saw Nick turning to leave. “Nick” I called out puzzled.

‘I think you need to talk to him’ Nick muttered before walking away.

“How could you do that?” I asked Quillon in bewilderment.

“I am an Alpha” was all he said.

“Well, I am an Alpha blood too” I said in outrage. How could he order other pack wolves?

“Both my parents are Alpha bloods” he said with a shrug and I raised my eyebrows shocked to hear it. I didn’t know his mom was an Alpha blood too. Actually, I didn’t know anything about his family.

Now is the chance.  Find out everything about him, my wolf encouraged.

“It makes me a little stronger than other Alpha’s” he continued casually.

“Sel’s parents too are Alpha blood’s” I mumbled to myself. It was true, I am stronger than Sel with my gifts, however when it comes to power, Sel can make me bow.

“I know” Quillon said and I looked up only to see that he was curiously staring at me. I felt my cheek color and so I lowered my head. Not good. Not good at all!

“Question, Question” Quillon muttered and I looked up again. “Why is your last name Kenrick when you are a Rhoades?”

“Mike didn’t tell you?” I asked Quillon cocking an eyebrow and he just narrowed his eyes. “Next time if you want to know anything about me, don’t hire an agent. They will not be able to find anything” I stated with supreme confidence.

“You didn’t answer my question” he reminded.

“I was adopted by the Kenrick’s” I said with a shrug. That seemed way better than telling exactly what happened.

“Why? Your parents weren’t capable of raising a daughter?” he asked with a glare, which I knew was directed at my biological parents.

Taking a deep breath, I finally decided to tell him the truth, “When my biological mother, the former Luna, was pregnant with me, she met with an accident. She went into early labor which cost her, her life. In a nearby bed, my mom, Jane’s child was stillborn. So, my dad, Marvin Kenrick, he paid the doctors and lied to my mom. By the time he realized, whose daughter I was, it was too late.”

“They stole you?” he asked startled.

“Thank God” I mumbled and Quillon frowned. “Look, Quillon-” his name just slipped from my mouth and I saw the way his eyes widened when he heard it. However, I didn’t ponder over it much, “-I don’t call it stealing and to me, Marvin and Jane Kenrick were my parents and Duncan is my brother.”

He didn’t probe further on that topic, for which I was really grateful.

“My turn to ask a question” I said and he gave me a go-ahead look. “Five years ago, when Luke and Fox crossed the territory, why did you keep them as prisoners for a month? Why did you torture them? Why didn’t you feed them?” I asked and was surprised to see no change in his reaction. He was absolutely calm and behaving as if I am asking him how the weather is. “That made me hate you because Fox is my guard” I said through gritted teeth.

“It wasn’t me.”

“Bullshit. You were the Alpha when-”

“I said- It. Wasn’t. Me.” Quillon spoke through gritted teeth, cutting me off. I gulped as I saw that his fists were clenched to form a tight fist, so tightly that his veins were visible from the back of his hand, and his dark eyes turned a shade darker. He was angry. Very angry.

I believe him, my wolf announced happily and I furrowed my brows. How can it not be him? He was the Alpha. He was the one who had them thrown into the prison.

Just like him, I didn’t probe further on that topic… for now.

“Why so many guards?” Quillon demanded. “Don’t you know basic self-defense?” he asked with a frown. He seemed angry that I had guards. I was the same at first but then I learned to accept it because I know I can do much damage if the guards aren’t there.

“The guards are not for me” I said and Quillon cocked an eyebrow in an unimpressed manner. “They protect others from me.”

That earned his interest because he once again narrowed his eyes, “I tend to lose control when I fight. So Duncan thought it is better if I don’t fight” I added with a shrug. Quillon still had a skeptical look in his face but he didn’t press on the topic.

It was my turn to ask a question and so I took a deep breath and decided to go ahead with my question. It was now or never. “What are we going to do?” I asked and Quillon furrowed his brows as if he couldn’t quite understand my question. “About this mate’s thing.”

It’s time we talk about this and know what we both wanted from each other.

“I never wanted a mate” he answered immediately and my wolf bristled. Let me see her calling him ‘mine’ now.

“Well I didn’t want one either” I was quick to retort. “But we still are mates, belonging to ri… different packs” I changed the word rival to different because that seemed appropriate in the current situation. “So…?” I questioned looking at him curiously.

There was a long pause before Quillon said, “My wolf is being an ass” he said honestly and I smiled. Mine was being one too. “So for our wolves’ sake, let’s get this mating shit over with and move our separate ways.”

****

How do you think Darya will react to whatever Quillon just said? Please do share your thoughts :)

Next update on 26th…

The usual mantra of vote, comment and follow :)

Love you all :-*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.8K 1.3K 52
- Book One of the Alpha series - -#734 (June 6, 2017) -#196 (May 12, 2018) -#26 (January 29, 2019) -#10 (July 14, 2020) _ I surrendered my c...
5.6M 197K 72
PREVIOUSLY CALLED "My Coldhearted Beta" Highest Rank #2 in Werewolf (Idk how though) ▪▪▪▪▪ "I , Jake Anderson, reject you Lily Kim as my mate" "...D...
23.1M 651K 56
[#1 in wearwolf 6/8/17] "Come on Jenna. Just one word." He taunt. He gripped my wrist in one hand and trailed his hand down my side to my hips. His h...
6.3K 378 13
True love. Mates. The very backbone of the werewolf species. But what happens when your Alpha mate rejects you? --------- Eden Cross is a Beta wo...