Pointe Shoes and Spider Webs

By TheMaskedBallerina

Peter Parker wants to become a better Spider-Man, so he's going to have to do some self-improvement. He consi... More

1. Stick To A Theme
2. Cinderella
3. Smoothies
4. Underwear
5. Saved
6. First Position
7. Distracted
8. Assessment
9. Focus
10. The List
11. The Science Guy
12. Sneezy
13. Red Faces
14. Vitals
15. Scar
16. Protective
17. Fuzzy Lights
18. Phone Call
19. Memories
20. Unexpected Visitor
21. Arrival
22. An Apology
23. Doctors
24. Diagnosis
25. Match Maker and Moment Killer
26. Confrontation
27. All About The Money
28. Poetry
29. A-R-T
30. Old Man
31. After School
32. Shower
33. Kitchen Towels and Cucumbers
34. Magnetism
35. Hoodie
36. Tests
37. Raspberry Cheesecake
38. Med Kit
39. Close Call
40. News Paper
41. Video Call
42. Balance
43. Girl Talk
44. Gold
45. Mask
46. Cup
47. Double-Edged Sword
48. Silver
49. Sneezy - The Sequel
50. Spider-Kiss
51. Holding Back
52. Open Back and Up-Do
53. The Halloween Party
54. Forever
55. Encore
56. Chat Room
57. Pancakes
58. Birthday Girl
59. Pointe Shoes and Spider Webs
60. Firebird
61. The Anemoi
62. Heist
63. Gesundheit
65. Tony
66. Anonymous
67. Common Ground
68. There You Are
69. Origin
70. Fine
71. Mirrored Glass
72. Argyria
73. Touch
74. Ravir
75. Broken Spell
76. Fit For A Zoo
77. Day Six
78. Channeling Device
79. Split In Two
80. Promises
81. Nerves
82. Backstage
83. The Sugar Plum Fairy
84. Swanilda
85. Spot Light
86. Sorcerers
87. Two Tyrones
88. Rooftop
89. Decision
90. Anything
91. Exertion
92. Withdrawals
93. Gone
94. She's Lying And She Knows It
95. Dove
96. Animals
97. Truly And Undeniably
98. Guardian Angel
99. I Missed You
100. Chemistry
101. In Control
102. The Summer Retreat
103. Death
104. Reconciliation
105. Independent
106. White Swan - Black Swan
107. Somm
108. Spite

64. Rare

251 12 0
By TheMaskedBallerina

Peter's on the floor with his legs tucked in. He's surrounded by the three books he... Borrowed. It's an understatement to say the books are a pain to read. He's about halfway through the second book and if he has to google one more definition of an impossible word, he's going to go insane. Unfortunately, the contents of the books are mind-numbingly boring as well, which makes it even more difficult to get through. But he has to. For Daphne. At least he's going to ace this school project now.

The books told him more about the Anemoi than the internet ever could. Though, like Stephen said, that might just be his downfall. If the teacher doesn't know any of this, he probably shouldn't use it for his presentation. However, he's not actually reading them for the school project.

He turns to the next page, but looks up mid-action when his phone buzzes. Tony's calling him. Peter purses his lips when he reaches out for his phone and he straightens his back as he picks up.
"Hey, Mr. Stark!"
"Did you steal from Doctor Strange?" No greeting. Straight to the point. Peter takes a sharp breath and holds it.
"No," he squeaks. It's about the least convincing he's ever sounded.
"Don't lie to me, Peter." Panic rises in Peter's chest. They found out. They found out and he's so screwed.

"I- I just borrowed it for a school project, Mr. Stark, I swear-"
"Borrowed?" Tony scoffs. "Kid, you don't just 'borrow' ancient books from the Sanctum."
"I couldn't find anything interesting about the Anemoi online and I figured-"
"You figured?!" Tony interrupts him again. "Pete, you don't know what's in those books. Heck, they could be cursed. Have you read them?" Peter presses his lips on top of each other, not replying. "Kid...?"
"I'm halfway through the second one..." He mumbles honestly.
"Second one of what?"
"Three books total." Peter looks down at the books, embarrassed. He licks his lips and has to hold back his tears. This was a stupid idea.
"I know you have three books. I just wanna know which ones you read."
"Eh," Peter stutters and he looks at the book in his lap. "The myth of Cupid and Psyche and the one on the Anemoi in general..."
"Alright, great, I want you to bring all three books back to the Sanctum. Stat." Peter's face contorts. There was something off about Tony's comment. He sniffs and sighs defeated.
"Yes, Mr. Stark."

...

Something doesn't add up. A lot doesn't add up, actually. Tony and Peter only just hung up the phone after Peter received another lecture about responsibility. Peter's staring at the books. The third book, to be exact. That was the only book that stood out from the rest and Tony seemed relieved he hadn't touched that one. From the looks of it, it's an encyclopedia. Tony doesn't want him to read it, which is weird. Why would he not want him to read it? Does Mr. Stark know what Peter's looking for? He takes a breath. It's only one word he has to find. What harm could it do? If the book was actually cursed it wouldn't be in the open library of the Sanctum. Right?

Peter shuts the book in his lap and places it on top of the other one he already read. He reaches for the encyclopedia and takes a breath. He opens it quickly, reading the rather troubling foreword. The book is a copy of the original book, which was written by 'The Collector'. Peter frowns as he reads the lines. This book can pretty much be described as an informational piece of literature on how to keep zoo animals. But the animals aren't actually animals. They're humanoid species. People. Peter shudders. Luckily, the book is set up in alphabetical order. He flips the book to the last page and works his way back.

"Zephyrus, Zephyrus..." He mumbles as he flicks through the pages. "Zephy-...r?" Peter's eyes stop at a short section about Zephyrs. He quickly reads the words. His muscles tense up and he's frozen in place. What does this have to do with Daphne? Why can't she say this word? His mouth goes dry. He doesn't want to admit it, but everything he reads makes sense with Daphne's recent behavior, like her distrust of Doctor Strange. However, nothing about the text is satisfying. Nothing eases his mind.

Due to their incredible rarity, Zephyrs are a prized jewel in anyone's collection. They're a true curiosity, often enslaved and used by sorcerers to increase their power to unimaginable heights. The shorter the expected life span of the Zephyr's species, the more powerful the energy is that can be taken from them. Example: an Asgardian will make a weaker Zephyr than a Midgardian.

Peter can hear his breathing quicken, but he can't feel it. There's no oxygen in his lungs. His eyes scan the next part of the text. He's not blinking.

Zephyrs are created by accident. They are not born as Zephyrs. Three people are involved: a source of immense power, a strong-willed sorcerer and the future Zephyr. The exact rules for creation have never been studied, as Zephyrs cannot be created on purpose.

Zephyrs cannot perform any magic. They can only give energy to other magic users. Taking their energy is very painful to them. One should take care of them well to prevent premature death.

Peter stares at the words wide eyed. His stomach flips and he wants to throw up. This can't be. She can't be... He grabs his phone and takes a picture of the page. He shuts the book with a loud thud and stares at the binding. His mind races. He must've been breathing, because he hasn't fainted yet, but he can't feel his chest. Tony didn't want him to read this. Why? Why does this need to be a secret from them? Why has he been playing them? He feels a sudden ache in his chest, like a dagger.

Tony knows. He knows what Daphne is and yet he hasn't told them. Stephen must have told him, there's not other explanation. Peter squeezes his eyes shut. The man he looks up to so much – his mentor – lied to him. Peter can feel the tears resurface and his breath is shaky. The words he read bounce around in his mind, not letting him calm down.

Enslaved and used... Peter shakes his head aggressively and the tears start streaming down his face. He didn't realize the gravity of what Daphne's going through and he blames himself for not taking the books sooner. He wipes his cheeks as another intrusive memory flashes in front of him. Premature death.

...

Peter aggressively drops the books on the floor in the Sanctum.
"Careful, thief, those are rare copies." Just like yesterday, Stephen appears at the top of the stairs.
"Rare, huh?!" Peter scoffs. Stephen cocks an eyebrow.
"I believe you owe me an apology."
"Keep believing, Strange. But I wouldn't count on one." Peter turns back around to walk out the door, but with a wave of Stephen's hand it shuts and locks.
"Woah, there. When did you lose your manners?" Peter glares, but doesn't turn back to Stephen.
"Let me out," he grumbles. "I need to talk to Tony." The short silence that falls is so heavy, both males can feel it drag down their shoulders. Neither of them expected him to say that. Peter called him Tony. Not Mr. Stark. Tony.

"Peter...?" Stephen tries softly. "Did you read the third book?"
"I read what I needed to read." Peter clenches his fists and his jaw twitches.
"Listen to me, Peter," Stephen brings his hands up as a signal of peace and slowly walks down the stairs. "I told Stark about what I thought Daphne is. I was never sure and I told Tony to keep his mouth shut. This is on me. Not him." Peter turns his head and meets Strange's gaze.
"Since when do you defend him?!" he sneers. Stephen huffs and shakes his head.
"I'm not defending him. I'm telling you the truth." Peter stares at Stephen.
"What do you mean you weren't sure? A-about Daphne?" He asks, a little calmer.
"You saw my library. How should I know where to start looking?"

Stephen takes another step and rolls his eyes with a groan.
"When I checked her after the kidnapping, I immediately felt that I could draw from her. All I knew was that she is a channeling device and those... Things are rare and wanted."
"So, you don't know what she is?"
"I know now because of the books you took." Stephen gestures at the books on the floor with his head. "I have no ill intentions towards Daphne, but I understand that whatever that mist told her about herself is making her distrusting. A Zephyr is rare, Peter. The more people know about what she is, the more danger she is in." Peter doesn't look away from the books. He frowns. "I promise, I won't go near her," Stephen adds. "I just want you to know you should keep everything you read to yourself."

"Wait, you want me to not tell Daphne?"
"My best guess is that she already knows what she is and she can't engage in conversation with you about it. It will only hurt her." Stephen crosses his arms and looks at Peter with a cocked head. Peter bites the inside of his cheek and looks back up at Stephen. He's right, but how is he supposed to not talk about what he read? It was incredibly disturbing. She only recently found out about him being Spider-Man and he felt so much relief, not having to keep secrets from her anymore. And now Stephen expects him to keep another secret? About her?!

"She deserves to know that I know." Stephen sighs at that.
"We kept it from her because it could make her paranoid or scared. She's a collector's item, Peter. The moment word gets out that there's a Zephyr on earth there will be a hefty price on her head and you and I will be a whole lot busier fighting aliens."
"Well, you said it's likely the mist told her."
"As long as that Memory Prison spell is active, we won't know what exactly he told her."
"She's been on edge lately, so she must know something." Peter crosses his arms and Stephen sighs.
"Do what you want, Pete. Just... Don't tell anyone else."

"I won't, Doctor Strange." The corner of Stephen's mouth curls up at the return of Peter's politeness. Peter turns around to the door, but pauses mid-turn and looks back at Stephen. "We really do have a school project on the Anemoi, by the way," he mumbles. "She had a panic attack when she couldn't read the word 'Zephyrus' and that's why I came here." Stephen scoffs. The kid really can't keep a secret.
"I think it's best you ask your teacher for a different topic." He waves his hand and the books float from the floor towards him. "And don't ambush her with this. Go easy on her."
"I will, Doctor." Peter hears the door behind him unlock.
"Now, go yell at Stark. I have other things to do."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 224 30
This story is requested by @sarah33145. This plot was made by her❤️ Being the daughter of Stephan Strange is not easy. Yeah, you can get whatever you...
129K 3.4K 25
❝ y-you just WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND! ❞ I snapped staring into my clenched fists ❝ What don't I understand peter?❞ Tony kept a concerned tone, never onc...
33.7K 708 17
A Peter Parker x OC Story **SMUTS** A few years after Homecoming, Peter said yes when Tony Stark invited him to live at the compound. He left behind...
339K 14K 33
So, I suck at descriptions. ha. Sorry. Here we go; Life is hard, especially when you're juggling the life of a teenage nerd and a superhero. Now th...