Gate of Dimensions

By ManOfIllusions

1940, two years after a brutal civil war that saw the return of Kaiser Wilhelm II, the revived German Empire... More

Prologue: A Fallen Kingdom
[Act 1] Chapter 1: Attack on Berlin
[Act 1] Chapter 2: Order of an Empire
[Act 1] Chapter 3: Tor Korps
[Act 1] Chapter 4: A New Dawn
[Act 1] Chapter 5: The Usurper
[Act 1] Chapter 6: The Empress-In-Waiting
[Act 1] Chapter 7: Occupying Forces
[Act 1] Chapter 8: The Girl with Deceiving Looks
[Act 1] Chapter 9: A Timely Arrival
[Act 1] Chapter 10: Battle on the Outside
[Act 1] Chapter 11: Relieved from Within
[Act 1] Chapter 12: Meeting of Dimensions
[Act 1] Chapter 13: City of Hope
[Act 1] Chapter 14: A Suicidal War
[Act 1] Chapter 16: Two Worlds
[Act 1] Chapter 17: Germania
[Act 1] Chapter 18: Train to the Gate
[Act 1] Chapter 19: Arrival at Hindenburg
[Act 1] Chapter 20: Emperor's Gamble
[Act 1] Chapter 21: Beyond the Gate
[Act 1] Chapter 22: Empires Collide
[Act 1] Chapter 23: Two Leaders
[Act 1] Chapter 24: Two Soldiers
[Act 1] Chapter 25: Losers of the Last War
[Act 1] Chapter 26: After Negotiations
[Act 1] Chapter 27: Knowledge of an Empire
[Act 1] Chapter 28: Service of Nobility
[Act 1] Chapter 29: Start of a Journey
[Act 1] Chapter 30: Blackness
[Act 2] Chapter 1: Warlord
[Act 2] Chapter 2: New Age of Industry
[Act 2] Chapter 3: Compassion, Courtship, Cooperation
[Act 2] Chapter 4: Battle against Fate
[Act 2] Chapter 5: Dawn

[Act 1] Chapter 15: A Break from War

4K 85 43
By ManOfIllusions

When Helga was forced to go back to her encampment and Rommel headed back to Sapphire River to go beyond the Gate, only Werner's unit was left to garrison the city of Guinevere. Werner would call that a victory, enough to place his feet on the table.

Within the city, the men of the Tor Korps were designated specifically to the nobility section of the city instead of the barracks, treated as if they were nobles themselves rather than the simple soldiers they were, but some chose to man the walls to keep their feet moving. Although clearly a ploy in order to sweeten the relations between the two people, none bothered to act on it after they were treated to fine meals, entertainment and, best of all, beer.

Werner found himself in the company of Salomon, Simo and the elven girls within a luxurious mansion, at the generosity of Guinevere herself, with maids tending to their every need. Though finding himself at odds with the maids who constantly requested to bathe him personally, he found the treatment was a great relief to him and his favourite officers who were finally able to be free from their military uniforms, even though it wasn't an authorized leave. Judging by the sounds of Oktoberfest coming early, it certainly seemed like they were on vacation.

Celene, the only human maid, the head of the ten maids in the room, came up to Werner and said, "Master Werner, are you sure everything is to your liking? My girls are more than willing to provide you-"

"For the last time, I will have my bath at night, so tell your girls to step away from me, please," Werner dryly demanded. "I am an officer in the Wehrmacht, not some man you can leer at all day."

"Now why in the Paragon's name would you think that?"

The coy response left Werner speechless. The only thing that made it worse was the sweet and perverse giggles of the maids behind her.

"Salomon, Simo," Werner sighed, turning to his two officers on the other side of the table. "Please say or ask me something to distract me, please."

"Sure," Salomon said. "How long do you plan to keep us around when you aren't even using our talents properly?"

"I was actually hoping you two would stay as long as I command."

"Be aware that I am loyal to Finland, so is Salomon here," Simo responded. "If we both are suddenly called back, then you will be alone here with underwhelming officers and the woman you so loath."

"Well, I just hope you are considering staying as long as you can. I have a need for close allies."

"Well, what are you hoping for in the future? You already told Rommel your plans, likely going beyond the Gate to attend the meeting since this was your idea and probably going to win this war once the alliance is established. Where does that leave you?"

"I am thinking about creating my own auxiliary forces," Werner answered. "An army made entirely on the people here. I will give them guns, a place to live in our area and pay them a single gold a week. They will be loyal only to me and me alone unless there is a change in command. They will not be part of the larger German armies."

"You lost me at 'give them guns'," Salomon said, wiping a sweat. "You don't seriously intend to give them guns, do you?

"Well, I'm not going to give them a damn Panzerschrek if that is what you are fearful of. I was thinking of granting them the replaced Kar98ks for the privates and outdated MP35 for members, mainly the sergeants, who will show true loyalty to the Kaiserreich."

"You can give them something older than that," Simo suggested. "I mean, the manufacturing of the Kar98k is still superior to my Mosin-Nagant in many ways."

"How old? You mean as far as the nineteenth-century needle gun or farther than that to the flintlock musket? I am not a cruel enough person to give something as pathetic as those to people I expect to trust me."

"That actually would be preferable. Not everyone had the knowledge of guns in the sixteenth century so it should be obvious they'd be better off with either a really old gun or swords and shields. But, I was going to suggest giving them some leftover Gewehr 88s from before the Suuri Sota and leaving out the option of automatic submachine guns."

"At least when they look at our machinegun, they won't be asking why they aren't given something better as much because the answer would be obvious," Salomon insisted. "Just to add to the debate, I would recommend gathering or building the old Dreyse needle-gun to grant these people. It is literally just paper, powder, match and shot; easy to make. I see no reason to grant them to something still effective against German body armour."

"I won't give them a single Stielhandgranate, Panzerfaust or something similar to that laser gun you stole, so you don't need to worry. And Simo, you rejected our offer to upgrade your rifle with an adjustable, infrared scope or at least a silencer, so what are you talking about when you claim our rifles are superior?"

"Just why is it you are trying to project such power? I thought you desired to make a peaceful presentation towards the people here."

"Oh come on, Simo. You of all people should at least be familiar with the foundation of the modern German Army."

"I'm a farmer from Suomi who happened to be the greatest marksman in history and ended up being assigned to your army in an act of pre-war goodwill. I didn't have any time to study the history of the Prussian Empire."

"Well, let me tell you the most crucial part of our army. If we didn't try to project our power in any way, it would be a sign of weakness. Even the Gott in Heaven knows power, strength, and honour is what drove the Germans through every century of war. If we don't abide by this, then Bismarck would come out of the grave and strangle us all to death for denying him his dream."

"Werner, you need to consider the possibility of a huge security risk when you start recruiting as many people blindly," Salomon warned. "The elven girls said that there were millions of men in the Imperial Army so just how much of them could infiltrate this militia you are building up? What would happen if the entire army decided to desert and leave with the guns you gave them?"

"I'll take everything into consideration except the latter. If they ran away with my guns and ran out of ammunition, they would have no choice but to run back. These people don't have the means to mass-produce a single bullet. Everything here is agrarian. All they seem to have to match us are dragons, swords and if I am to believe, magic. If they don't, then I will send my Panzerhund after them."

"Werner, I know you are desperate to outmatch the Nazi leader of the Second Unit," Simo sighed. "But, you need to take into consideration that we are within another world, where our people from beyond the Gate can't hear or see us, considering it is all blocked by checkpoints set up by the paranoid leaders. You are paranoid too, Werner."

"Yeah, because there was more to my life than being paranoid," Werner groaned, turning away from his favourite officers. "Imagine if one of my soldiers happened to encounter that Nazi whore who likely won't get the memorandum until later with a bloody needle-gun. They would be massacred, but at least they would have a fighting chance with a better rifle than a museum weapon."

"So, you want Helga's forces and your auxiliaries to clash?" Salomon deduced.

"No, I was just being hypothetical!" Werner hissed. "If you are wondering if I am paranoid, I am. I was just fine being assigned to this unit until Helga showed her face. You two saw her at Castle Dagonet, how she unleashed hell on the people we (well, we as in us) are supposed to be finding a peaceful solution to. What she is doing here reminds me of what her brethren did during the civil war."

"You mean the merciless killing of Wehrmacht-supporters?"

"Worse," Werner whispered. "I mean the gassing of-"

Before the conversation could continue, a swift kick banged open the door and in came two dark elves; the typical Sera followed by the embarrassed Cara.

"Hey!" Sera called, barging into the room with Cara following behind. "Are you old men just going to stay in here, talk about boring nobility stuff and let the maids do everything for you? You should be getting out there and drink like your men."

"Sera, watch your language," Cara wheezed out, trying to pull her disobedient acolyte away, but her short size proved futile.

"Old man?" Werner chuckled. "I'm only twenty-one. Besides, we are not much like our brethren, I prefer to lie down and rest my head and think about my future here."

Sera groaned. "Out of all you Germans, you three are the most boring."

"Watch your language, dark elf," the voice of Bela warned, followed by her coming in the room. "He is here as a guest of Empress Guinevere so you don't get to judge his character."

Wanting to avoid conflict, Werner quickly said, "Calm down. If I am to enjoy the time I have left before our going back to the empire, then it can't hurt to spend it outside."

"Thank the totems," Sera wheezed out. "Get your butts up and let us enjoy the lives we have before your people destroy it."

As Werner got up from his seat and put his coat back on, he spotted Simo grabbing his rifle and head out the door. "Where are you going with that gun?"

"Me?" Simo responded, stopping in his tranks and turning around. "Since there aren't any Reds here, I might as well practise my skills on a few birds."

Acting quickly, Werner took out something from his bag and passed it to Simo. "Take this silencer. I don't want you to frighten the citizens of the city with your constant hunting."

"This is meant for your pistol, right?" Simo asked, inspecting the black carbon fibre in his hand.

"It's compatible with any firearm, except a cannon," Werner confirmed. "Good luck hunting out there."

As Simo gave a simple nod before heading out the door, Werner shifted his gaze towards Salomon. "You coming, Salomon?"

"I think I will remain here," Salomon told. "I think I will catch up on the translated books to help you in the coming meeting."

At that, Werner was immediately grabbed by Sera by the hand and dragged out the door, much to his shock, slamming it behind them, leaving Bela and Cara still in the room. Bela and Cara groaned upon realizing what just happened.

...

Within the city, German soldiers were posted all around the area, keeping their own people as well as the nobility safe and on high alert. Tanks and half-tracks were either outside the city in the camp or positioned at the makeshift checkpoints built in the last few months. The crowd they attracted was immediately enthralled by just the movements of the tank turret - some even tried to feed it fruit - and became celebrities among the masses, much to the humour of the Germans.

But, none of this reminded them of home. Knowing there was no coloured television or at least a carnival in this world, Werner knew that his men would celebrate their victory in the not-so old fashioned way: beer and folk songs, just like Oktoberfest.

"Bela, which is the largest tavern you have in the city?" Werner inquired.

Bela shot a look at Werner. The question almost every German she encountered in the city asked her. "The largest we have is the Lamorak tavern, but it is reserved for only the most esteemed nobles . . . but in this case, it is probably filled with drunkards by now."

Turned to his tank dog, Werner told him to remain with a German checkpoint, keeping him away from the locals, before following Bela.

Upon finding and entering the Lamorak, it seemed every off-duty soldier at this very location. Every table, every stool and pretty much every corner was filled with German soldiers with dishevelled uniforms either drinking themselves to the ground, munching on pies or dancing to the traditional tunes of the band. All of this would seem normal if not for the fact the bar was meant for more well-mannered patrons.

Sera and Werner edged a smile on their faces upon taking in the scene, but the other girls were much more shocked to see the soldiers letting out their inner sin. The only shred of uniqueness to the celebration flare was a large table where only a single lady-knight, likely one of the Silver Hands, sat alone, calling them over.

"Knight Vera, what are you doing here?" Bela asked, sitting next to her friend.

"On the Empress's request, I am to accompany you around the city," Vera replied. "I reserved a seat here when I thought you'd be here to relieve some stress. Though, I never expected to see the entire German Army here."

Werner, paying no attention to the screams of Germans and nobles around him, sat himself down with the girls. A nearby barmaid immediately put down a flagon of beer on the table, knowing full well what a German would have ordered.

"So you are the one Salomon mentioned?" Werner asked, observing Vera. "The officer of my army who saved your life spoke of your encounter with Victor. It must have been scary for you, I am guessing?"

"Not at all," said Vera. "I met your officer at the gate to the second district, where I had an encounter with the Hessian. I stood my ground as that bastard pointed his thunderstick at me and shouted in your language."

"I thought his name was Victor?" Sera questioned. "Who is that man, Werner?"

"I will discuss him never, so let us just have a drink first." Werner insisted.

Barmaids immediately came towards the table after tending to the other Germans and gave everyone their fill of beer - except Bela, who didn't seem to be interested. Every girl stared at Werner as he chugged down an entire flagon before demanding another. Comparing him to his soldiers, they were not so different at all.

"God, I am such an idiot," Werner drunkenly exclaimed, drawing the attention of everyone at the table.

"What is it, Colonel?" Vera asked.

"Oh nothing," Werner wheezed out. "Just the simple fact that even if you sign an alliance and allow military access, it wouldn't stop people other than the military from coming here and taking what they want."

"What do we have that your people could possibly want?" Bela asked.

Werner sniggered, almost amused at the obliviousness. "Isn't it obvious? Your resources, which would quite possibly be the only thing that would keep our people here."

"So your people desire our resources?" Vera inquired.

"Of course, considering it is what most wars are thought for anyway. If one was to consider the fact that you have no idea about modern industrialization, likely only trade and simple do-it-yourself factories, so it is a ticket for companies like the Reichswerke to expand their businesses over here."

"But what is underneath our planet that you could possibly want?" Cara demanded, showing hostilities to the proposition.

"Mein Gott, you must be the most oblivious people I have ever met. What don't we mine that could benefit the German economy? From the crude oil, which you likely have no idea what to use it for, to the mountains of metals deep underneath the surface. Hell, we could probably dump some of our pollutions here, which I would definitely disapprove of, but what are the words of a young lord matter to conglomerates who swim in gold?"

"So if the treaty is to be signed, the Empress would have to make references to what we can offer you just to make you consider an alliance?" Vera asked.

"That or invoke the sympathy to an unsympathetic kaiser." Werner simply responded.

"And why would the Kaiser be unsympathetic to us?"

"He isn't known for having a good temper, likely galvanized by his exile decades ago by nations from our world, and his current concern is making Germany powerful beyond any recognition of conservatism or liberalism, so he probably won't care at all about your people unless you have something to benefit the German people. In fact, he'd be better off making me the leader of this expedition, since I seem to be the only one who cares about the beauty of this land."

"Why is it you care so much about this land, we don't know anything about you?" Enrel asked.

"Let's just say it makes me feel better that I am protecting people who haven't grasped the concept of modern imperialism. You people are innocent of our politics, our people, our lives, which I am happy for, and I don't want to bring you into our conflicts, which we already have. The corpses that were melted thanks to my use of gases, explosive tank rounds, bullets, and tesla coils are proof all it takes is the Kaiser to lose his head to destroy everything here. I hope one day we would leave and never return, taking our technology with us."

"That is very sweet, Werner," Cara said, comforting him. "I was wrong to have ever thought you as a warmonger."

"Is every human nation on your continent a warmonger?" Sera asked. "Just how powerful is the German Empire? I know you are extremely powerful when compared to the entire damn continent, but how powerful are you compared to countries back in your home?"

Werner laughed, sitting forward and bringing the girls closer. "We have a nation that controls every German-speaking region, which is a lot of territories, except for Austria, who in reality are nothing like their past selves, even with Hungary in their territory. It has the means to produce a powerful army and a stable economy even when surrounded by enemies. Our engineering is second to none to any nation on Earth, which I don't need to tell you about, I can just remind you of the Thunderer. While here a single gold is worth a hundred coins of silver and ten-thousand coppers, gold lines our pockets until they burst into-"

"Why are you telling us this?" Sera interrupted. "It's not like this information is of any use to us."

"Because that is how word spreads, Sera," Werner answered, not at all annoyed. "From just a few people, it would become a hundred later when you return home. I have recruited and spread out criers all around the world to spread the word of the coming of the Kaiserreich, even that message to any survivors you gave me."

"What letter?" Cara demanded.

"A letter that details our people uniting behind the German's cause, people who can protect us," Sera responded.

Cara slammed her fist on the table. "I'm sorry, but am I not the person who is supposed to be leading you since the raids? It would seem you want to go your own path."

"Are you blind, Cara?" Sera yelled. "The Germans clearly have a better interest in us than the humans of Mordred here and are more capable of helping us than the humans of Guinevere. What is your problem with me?!"

"Oh Mein Gott," Werner sighed, grabbing a mug from a tavern girl. "If I didn't care about you all, I would burn this entire tavern town just for some peace and quiet. But I just can't bring myself to harm such fragile land any more than I already have."

"So the Empress was right!" Bela blurted out, shocking everyone at the table. "The only reason you aren't unleashing your wrath upon us is that you are sympathetic to us, but only because you see us as weak, pathetic people who can't fight back."

"Quiet, city elf!" Sera hissed, slapping the back of Bela's head. "If he were sympathetic to you then a remark like that is something he wouldn't want to hear."

"You dare lay your hand on me, valley girl!" Bela snarled, coming literally head-to-head with Sera. Both butt-heads with each other, snarling into each other's faces.

"Please stop," Werner pleaded, taking another big gulp from his mug. "No violence at the table until my mug is empty."

Every girl at the table caught Werner's meaning upon looking around at the dozens of Germans around them. Some were singing a traditional tune while others danced a jig on either the dancing floor, on the second level or on top of tables, much to the shock of other patrons, a true display that even the most disciplined of soldiers can't resist the taste of alcohol.

Out of all the elven girls, only Sera was relieved to see that the Germans aren't always a bunch of ruthless, perverted deviants and are instead capable of having a bit of fun.

"Let me ask you something now," Werner continued. "The area in which we were given, why is it called Sapphire?"

All eyes were on the only native human at the table. Clearly, this was a question Vera should be able to explain.

Groaning, Vera explained, "It is a legend that when Arthur brought Queen Guinevere, the first queen, from his side of the Gate, one of his wife's sapphires fell off and landed on the grass. Arthur told her to leave it there, now calling the region Sapphire."

Werner sat forward, though stumbled slightly. "So that is the origin of humanity here?"

"No, the origin of the Arthurian Empire. Humans existed here long before Arthur came. King Arthur was the one who arrived here with his God, conquered the old elven kingdom, proclaimed himself emperor and ushered in an era of unity for humanity. When he died, all the human kingdoms outside the centre of the royal domains released themselves. We managed to conquer the kingdoms of Zaurus and Lazare, but it was halted after the opening of the Gate and Mordred's betrayal. The Continent is in shambles now."

"From the looks of it, Mordred was only an inch close to becoming the absolute ruler before we came, am I right?"

Vera hung her head down in shame, clearly too proud to admit her leader's weakness.

"One more thing, why is it called the Continent?" Werner asked.

Raising her head back up, Vera replied, "Every species has its own name for the land we live on. The elves called it Lyrius, the dwarves called it Durn and the early humans called it Opara. But the name that stuck throughout the world was the 'Continent', practical and easy to say." Vera confirmed.

"But when you need to reference yourselves as a plural, especially when encountering another continent, you can't say you are Continentals and have it mean anything. Our continent is Europe, so we are Europeans. You might as well have stuck with Opara."

"As I said, Werner, it was the word that stuck. No one has ever gone far outside the south, east or west so we just have to live with the notion that this is the only continent in this world."

"No one with a ship big or fast enough can make the journey," Bela added. "No one can get past the Black Flags who surround our waters. Pirates, if you may. Even if you manage to get past the pirates, Mordred's fleet in the south-eastern port city of Avalon, who pay tribute to the pirates to attack any ports who supply us, sports the largest fleet of two-hundred ships, including converted merchant ships, who stop anyone trying to get around."

Big or fast enough? Werner knew they only needed a plane to circumnavigate the entire globe, but he just couldn't help but wonder if the Kriegsmarine would give a little hand against the pirates after the treaty. He would have to make the case to Karl Dönitz, who would likely spare one of the hundreds of ships under his command.

"Pardon me, Lord Von Goldberg," Sera said, tugging on Werner's coat.

"What is it?" Werner asked, annoyed. "I was considering offering ships to help you with your pirate problem."

"I'm sorry, but can you tell us about Helga?" Sera asked, more so demanded. "I have been hearing a lot about her and I am curious as to what she is."

"That is a story for another time, Sera," Werner said, trying to drop the subject.

"But why do you truly hate her? Is it only her ruthlessness? I don't know about her, but I sure know it was you who brutalized thousands of people during your relief effort."

"Not only that, Sera. Helga is a manipulator, an opportunist of the most heinous sort. She was the one who convinced High Command to let us use poison gas against unsuspecting people under the pretence that it is the best way to conserve ammunition, which was true but Helga only wanted to relieve the stress of seeing her world crumble through the suffering of others."

"So she . . . enjoys seeing others in pain."

"Enjoy is a complete understatement. I regret it to this day not pulling the trigger. Every time I look into her eyes, I see the heart of the Nazis still burning within her."

Before Sera could push the conversation further, Cara pulled her down and told her, "Can't you see he is hurting? Drop any questions you have now, Sera."

"Let me tell you this right now," Werner told, bringing the girls together. "Try to pretend that we are not here to ruin your way of life. Pretend that we are here just to help solve your problems. If you don't, then you will have problems. I will do my best to keep the Nazis away from your people, but you need to learn to stay out of our businesses if you want to survive."

"We will, Colonel Von Goldberg," said Vera. "I can ensure you we will remain ignorant of the facts in front of us?"

"Good," Werner yelled at the top of his lungs, raising his beer up high. "Now let us enjoy this break from war!"

...

"So there are two types of Germans?" Guinevere asked, reading through the book Werner gave her. " I guess they are more like us than we thought."

"But we don't know that, Your Majesty," Vera insisted, twiddling her thumbs. "For all we know, there are numerous types of Germans where they are from. And for all we know, German could refer to an entire continent and they are united but are divided by ideology, just like the Empire of Arthur itself."

"Everyone is divided by ideology, Vera. I believe you meant to say that there is more than one culture of the Germans. Is the German ideology, the main one, based upon expanding their influence upon other nations?"

"Yes, the Germans have an imperialist agenda, as you would expect, and seek to mine our resources for their own benefits rather than ours. It seems understandable they would do this since they pretty much have access to a second world."

"Anything else?"

"Werner gave useful information about trying to tell their kaiser what we can offer them or try to invoke sympathy. He absolutely refuses to speak about the Blackcoats, who he calls 'Nazis', who attacked our city and I have no idea how to get it out of him."

"That is all the information you got from him?"

Vera nodded.

"I expected a lot more from you, Vera. I need you to go back and talk to Werner, get him to come out about what he has on the other side. At least get me information about the men who attacked our city."

"But Your Majesty, I just said that Werner already made it clear he has no intentions to speak about what he views as none of our business. He would rather see us live in ignorance than face the hard truth."

"Then make him speak about it if you have to. Who is he to tell us what we can't and cannot know about? Those people were the ones who killed a town's worth of people in my city so I want to know what those people are and why are they so brutal when compared to Werner's men."

"I will do as you command, Your Majesty," Vera said, bowing her head.

"Also, continue the previous order of getting information about what kind of man Werner is. Telling me he is just like his German brethren is not going to cut it, since most of them are coming out of bars trailing beer."

"Well, he does have a more liberal side to him, likely stemmed from the fact he sees our society as inferior to their own. It would be wise not to confront him on these facts though, seeing as a mere scuffle between elves made him consider burning down an entire tavern."

"He was likely joking about that, Vera," Guinevere giggled. "Befriend him, get to know him and then probe him for information about himself. Don't just bring up the subject immediately and do not mention I told you anything since he would think I am trying to send him messages through you. Please, do this for me."

Not wanting to wait around, Vera simply gave one final bow before leaving on possibly her greatest favour for Guinevere. I'm going to die, Vera thought, almost kicking a chair. I am meant for destruction, not etiquette.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 148 14
[Story under heavy WIP, feedback very greatly appreciated. Title and description subject to constant changes.] "You never know what you truly have un...
1.9K 201 73
Elias Ashborn is a highly intelligent and studious young man who has always been a dedicated student, pouring all of his time and energy into his aca...
4.7K 226 21
Our protagonist awakes in a run down control room with collapsed command consoles and fallen computers entangled by a nightmare of wires. He finds hi...
42.4K 1.1K 18
The fall of Afghanistan and the situation within the pacific has the United States begun to loosen its grip on the coalitions they once established...