Dead Reckoning - A Gregorio d...

23meraki tarafından

You are an ordinary senior college student. But on your first day, you get a video game which sends you to th... Daha Fazla

Introduction
I - Mimeomia
II - Keyframe
III - Monachopsis
IV - Hanker Sore
V - Jouska
VI - Exulansis
VII - Semaphorism
VIII - Occhiolism
IX - Rückkehrunruhe
X - Kuebiko
XI - Pâro
XII - Adronitis
XIII - The Tilt Shift
XIV - Anecdoche
XV - Ellipsism
XVI - Daguerreologue
XVII - Lachesism
XVIII - Kairosclerosis
XIX - Heartworm
XX - Ecstatic Shock
XXI - Silience
XXII - Catoptric Tristesse
XXIV - Sonder
XXV - Onism
XXVI - Liberosis
XXVII - Nighthawk
XXVIII - Kenopsia
XXIX - Fitzcarraldo
XXX - Altschmerz
XXXI - Mal de Coucou
XXXII - Midsummer
XXXIII - Gnossienne
XXXIV - Mauerbauertraurigkeit
XXXV - Fata Organa
XXXVI - Anemoia
XXXVII - Nodus Tollens
XXXVIII - Vemödalen
XXXIX - Chrysalism
XL - Ambedo
XLI - Rubatosis
XLII - Rigor Samsa
XLIII - Dead Reckoning
A/N: The Story behind "Dead Reckoning"
XLIV - Avenoir
XLV - Énouement
XLVI - Xeno
Bonus Chapter: Winter's Song
Bonus Chapter: Midnight Oil
Bonus Chapter: All Over Again
Bonus Chapter: Happiest Year
Next Book to Read
A/N
Important Announcement!
New A/N (12 May 2022)
#DeadReckoningat2
!!! (Updated 28 June 2022)
A/N (4 August 2022)
A/N (6 December 2022)
A/N (5 February 2023)
A/N (01 March 2023, New Project)
A/N (04 March 2023)

XXIII - Vellichor

1.7K 75 26
23meraki tarafından

n. the strange wistfulness of used bookstores, which are somehow infused with the passage of time—filled with thousands of old books you'll never have time to read, each of which is itself locked in its own era, bound and dated and papered over like an old room the author abandoned years ago, a hidden annex littered with thoughts left just as they were on the day they were captured.

* * *

The only reason that I've decided to return to the modern world after that encounter is a simple intention. For some reason, I want to be far away from that place. I hate the idea of having to deal with what happened next after finding Goyo be that cold and angry. It's is like, if his words could burn down anything and kill someone, he already do so. I know that I've ran too far, to think of leaving the game, but staying there is needing to deal with Goyo's presence and having the need to remember it all over again.

I sigh heavily and almost jump in surprised upon my phone ringing. I immediately answer it, not even looking at who is the caller. And somehow, I am starting to regret answering it.

"Hey, (Y/N). Saturday ngayon. 'Wag mo kalimutan na may trabaho ka ngayon," Gregory says through the line, causing me to frown in annoyance. "Ten minutes. Dapat nandito ka na." And with that, he ends the call, forcing me to do his bidding and head to his house.

Despite the CD being with me now, I can't risk what else he can do if I stop paying him for it. In the end, this is the world where I live in, and it is scarier than to face Goyo's wrath. However, whenever I am inside the game, I am starting to see parts of Goyo that I hate seeing.

When I've arrived at the mansion, I've been kept waiting for about thirty minutes, ringing the doorbell. I hope that one of his servants will answer for him, but then, remembers that if he has some servants today, why bother call me? After some more minutes, the main door finally opens and there he is, standing on his bathrobe with his hair still dripping wet and his chest a little bit exposed.

"Bakit ang tagal mo, (Y/N)? Napakabagal nga naman talaga," he remarks.

"Ako pa ang sinisi mo! Eh ikaw nga itong napakatagal bago buksan yung pintuan," I counter.

"Nag-shoshower ako kanina." He smirks. "O kaya atat ka kanina pa ay dahil gusto mo ako panoorin mag-shower, ano?"

"Pervert!" I enter inside his house, moving him away from the entrance. "Pagkatapos mo sabihin kung anong gagawin ko, pumunta ka na sa impyerno."

He laughs as he closes the door and follows after me. He sits back onto one of the couches in the living room, chuckling as he takes down every chore to be done, "Today, I want my bedroom to be cleaned. Yung mga silverware, dapat mukhang brand new. And the floor in the rooms, kailangan wiped. It's okay as long as I can see some kind of my reflection in them. And also, yung garden. Kailangan ma-trim. Nasira yung lawn mower kaya baka kailanganin bunutin isa-isa yung mga damo sa yard."

I didn't even turn to look at him and being aware where the cleaning tools are, I head straight to get the necessary things I'll be using and to his room. As expected, it is still a trash. This time, there are more books scattered than just random things. I know that he is really disorganized and messy, having to deal with cleaning his room a few days ago. But only now that I realized that one of his hobby is reading. Looking at the title of the books, some of them are languages that I am not aware of, but those that I can understand notes that they are about history of varying kinds. And one, among all, catch my attention.

The title reads, Revolución Filipina: Ang Buhay at Kamatayan ng Batang Heneral.

Revolución Filipina. The same title as that of the game. Batang Heneral. I suddenly remember Isidro welcoming me at the start of the game. He mentions the title of the game, and how it focuses about the "Batang Heneral". And... Ang Buhay at Kamatayan... Is it possible that...?

I immediately flip open the book, heading to the last pages of the book in hopes of how it will tell death as some sort of legacy, but before I can even read a whole complete paragraph, only finding a familiar name in them, I hear Gregory calling out for me, "(Y/N). Alam mo naman siguro na it is a bad habit to look through other people's things, di ba?"

I turn to him at once, shaken.

He draws closer to me and takes the book from me. "Hmm... Revolución Filipina: Ang Buhay at Kamatayan ng Batang Heneral? Interesado ka sa libro na ito?"

"N-Nakita ko lang. Noong inaayos ko yung mga libro..." I defend myself, looking up at him.

He smirks. "Ito yung favorite book ko. And I heard mula dun sa owner ng video game store na many of the contents sa laro raw na iyon, ginamit daw ito bilang reference."

"T-Teka!" I immediately stand from where I am. "Yung ending niyan... Ginamit din bang reference?"

Gregory looks surprised with my outburst that it takes him a few seconds before answering. He says, smiling, "Maybe. Malalaman mo lang kapag narating mo na yung dulo ng laro."

# # #

I didn't return to the game for a few more days, afraid still of what happened in the game. But I am too eager as well to return right away in worry that something could've happened. Especially knowing that there is an end for such game, and not a very good one, I believe. I have every means to explore and search and find out what is really going on in the game; to make sure that whatever Gregory's book is all about will not show exactly the same details that will happen.

The notion of Goyo dying... is that the reason why he was considered as the Boy General? Because he is meant to die young? Isn't he already a general when I've left the game? And how old is he? Will that be considered that he is still a young man?

"(Y/N)!" I hear Via calling out for me, causing me to turn to her and smile. As she sits back on her chair next to me, she leans closer to me and whispers, "Ginugulo ka pa rin ba ng mga bully na iyon? And seryoso ba talaga yung nangyari noong isang araw? Talagang si Prince yun, di ba? Hindi ko iniisip na mabait pala talaga siya!"

Kung alam lang ni Via ang dahilan...

I chuckle a little. "Good thing na hindi na nga muna nila ako ginugulo. Siguro, natatakot din sila. Also, di na rin ako magpapatalo. Tapos na ang panahon na hinahayaan kitang depensahan din ako, V. Kailangan marunong din akong tumayo sa mga sarili kong paa."

Via looks a little surprised but breaks into a wide smile afterwards. "That's my girl! Mamayang uwian, treat kita ng merienda. Small celebration na nagkakaroon ka na ng backbone, bes."

# # #

Just as Via had said, she'd treated me for some afternoon snacks. Nothing much but enough for us to enjoy, and a small diversion from our way back home. After all, she knows that my mother will kill me if she finds out that I've been slacking off even if I know that I still have classes tomorrow.

We are already on our way out of the mall when Via immediately pulls me in one of the jewelry stores that we've come across, saying that she's just going to check on something. And me, as usual, can't complain about that.

I sigh heavily as I also look around for the jewelries that were enclosed in glass. Most of them had been pendant charms, rings and even earrings. Jewelry is not a much of my type, especially, knowing that they are expensive and with all my clumsy self, my mother will truly kill me if I lost one of those kinds.

"(Y/N), 'lika dito. Dali!" Via calls out for my attention as her eyes are glued to the jewelries in the center of the store.

I draw closer to her, leaning close to the glass as well as I try to find what she is looking on. "V, bibili ka ba?"

"Well, planning to. Anong sa tingin mo dito? Surprising to find na may mga religious medallions sila ngayon. Ang maganda kasi dito, makakaili ako ng chain. 'Di katulad dun sa may St. Paul's. What do you think?" she asks me and smiles a little.

And she is right. There are a variety of religious medallions featured. Most features the Blessed Virgin, and the Holy Cross, and the archangels and the commonly known saints.

"Ito, ma'am," the clerk starts as he takes one medallion out of the glass and to the counter. "Nag-iisa na lang po ito sa amin. And masyadong limited."

I inspect the medallion just as Via does, and I almost freeze on my place upon seeing the familiar figure of a man, holding a Bible and his other hand raised.

"St. Gregory of Palmas," the clerk adds with a smile.

"Hmm... Anong sa tingin mo, (Y/N)?" Via turns to me, asking for my opinion.

San Gregorio Palamas. Kung kanino nagmula ang pangalan ko, he told me.

No offense. Pero di ko inaasahan na ipapangalan ka mula sa isang santo. Napakalayo mo sa pagiging banal, I answered.

How could I just dimissed the thought na, yung nangyari sa plaza, at that time... Goyo has every right to be angry. Tama, di siya banal. Di siya imortal. Di siya Diyos. Bakit din ako magtataka to find a certain book about his life and death? Sa simula pa lang, ako itong si tanga na hindi nag-research about him. And had been avoiding him, avoiding all of this emotions within me, by leaving the game hanging.

"T-Teka, (Y/N)! Saan ka pupunta?!" I hear Via calling out for me, but there is no turning back this time.

I leave her alone in the shop and head straight home as planned, giddy and sure of myself.

Kung totoong mamamatay si Goyo... walang makakapigil sa akin upang itigil ang laro. May chance pa. May pagkakataon pa na magawa ko ang misyon ko sa laro na iyon, and at the same time, no reason para mag-aksaya pa ng panahon. Kaysa hayaan kong lumipas ang panahon, mas gugustuhin kong nandoon ako sa tabi niya. Masaksihan bawat hakbang niya patungo sa pagiging isang bayani.

* * *

A/N: Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates. ;)

#GoyoDeadReckoning || #GoyoAngBatangHeneralStories || #ProjectAguilaStories

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

3M 79K 38
I was awakened by a buzz, but I don't want to get up, instead I lay still on my bed and about to dream again when I heard a THUD, I flinched at the s...
219K 6.6K 37
If we are still in the 90's and someone will approach me and say "You're a descendant of a Goddess," I'll most likely answer "You need some serious h...
23.2K 887 63
WARNING! Two sites have plagiarized my work without my permission. This story goes beyond our perception of reality and common sense. Definitely not...
18 0 8
[ Synopsis ] Myths, fables, folklore, and legends. These are the only places where these gruesome, violent, peaceful, tricky, and fantastical creatur...