The Royal Series 0 - A Royal...

By ElaineWhite

Life. Love. Blood. Even a vampire King can fall in love. Faith. Honour. Heart. Even a poor, deaf boy can beco... More

Introduction
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 1
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 2
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 3
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 4
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 5
Love On A Battlefield: Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Promised to Him: Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Too Young to Die: Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Strangers Once Again: Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
A Little Faith: Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Chapter 1

6 0 0
By ElaineWhite

March 24th, 2115

† Elex †

"Where would a fantasy novel with a gay romantic couple go?" Risteph asked, his brow crinkling with confusion.

Elex almost laughed. It had been a month since Risteph and his lover returned to Rolfesson from the commune and married. He had yet to adjust to what he called a 'normal' life.

Leaving his office at the top of the single-width spiral staircase, Elex descended with a fond smile and thought of how far the young man had come.

Though Risteph must continue to wear the gifts from the prophetess – a necklace, ring and a bracelet – for the rest of his life, he had responded well. He barely recalled the worst incidents magic had caused in his life. Which was a relief for Elex; as the manager of a book store, they would routinely have to serve customers with magic, even those as latent as Spencer's gifts. They had an entire room of magical texts in the basement, protected by an old spell the prophetess had gifted to the previous owner of the library.

If Risteph was to work with him and succeed here, he must be able to deal with magic and magic users without panic.

"I believe that you speak of Spencer's latest tribute to his sons?" Elex asked finally, as he reached the main floor and crossed to where Risteph puzzled over a group of three large volumes.

It was especially gratifying to see his new assistant reading the back cover with a confused frown, because the book – though he did not know it – was about himself. In fact, it was only when Spencer offered the three recently published volumes to his library for free that he explained Risteph's history to Elex. He thought it important that he be aware of the boy's history before hiring him, if he faced the risk of stumbling across Spencer's latest literary works.

And, indeed, it had proven to be an interesting and heartbreaking tale. He could not deny that he felt like a father to the boy, who had not heard from nor seen his own family in nearly three years.

Elex could not imagine surviving so long without seeing even a glimpse of Norman. Thankfully, his little noodle was attending Finnegan's school and enjoyed learning so much that it would be impossible to get him out of the library during his free hours. He counted himself lucky every day for such a wonderful son and the opportunity to spend so much time with him.

Risteph snorted and looked up at him, finally. "It says it is about a magic user and a villain who is not as evil as he first seems," he explained, as though Elex did not know the plot and content of every book within his library. "I have no doubts that it is some thinly veiled worship of Jaycob and Averie. I may have to bring it home to Jake, or he may never forgive me for knowing of its existence and not telling him."

The fact that he laughed at his own words soothed Elex's fears further. He now felt confident that he could trust Risteph with the magic texts, if he needed to, without fear that he would panic or suffer some magical malady just by being near them.

"Perhaps not," Elex disagreed, taking the book from his hand, as he recalled Spencer's warning never to allow him to actually read the books. Risteph could touch them, organise them and loan them to other readers, but never know the contents. " I believe this story contains information that you and Jake are not to be privy to. Perhaps one of his earlier works, instead? I hear that the story of two knights has been published," he suggested.

The faint shadow of knowing crossed Risteph's eyes, before he shrugged it off. "Sure. I think Jake would like that," he said, his voice suddenly dismissive and less excited than it had been before. The playful note was gone, replaced by a slump of his shoulders that said so much without the need for words.

Elex checked the back of the book, read the short description, and checked the length of the pages before holding it out to Risteph again. "I believe fantasy is the best place for this particular offering. The length alone suggests an extensive volume that fantasy readers will appreciate," he explained, having reorganised the library the moment he was given the job.

It still did not feel like a few months since he took up the position for the first time. Standing there, amongst the stacks of bookcases, he would never have imagined that it would be so easy and so natural for him to run a library. Just as easy and natural as it had been to run his old store.

This job came with the added benefit of an apartment above the library, right beside his office, where he and Norman stayed. It was large enough for their needs; two bedrooms, though one was small, as well as a small kitchen area and a bathing room. It was more than enough to provide security and shelter.

The library tables in the furthest room offered Norman an extensive open area in which to study his school work and complete his homework, while getting light through the three large stained-glass windows, and having the freedom to move around without disturbing anyone.

This move had been the best thing he had ever done for his son. Bringing him to the job interview had tickled his new employer, especially when Norman thanked him for offering a home and a job, as though it was a miracle he had never hoped for.

Elex almost laughed, recalling the moment. His son was so innocent, yet more aware of the world and the people within it than he sometimes approved of. In fact, he thought he must be quite similar to how precocious Jaycob once was. And if his son grew into anything resembling the strong, independent young man that Jaycob was, he would count himself lucky. Very lucky indeed.

***

"Papa!"

Elex nearly dropped the pile of books he had been organising when he heard that shout. He turned with a sigh and glared at his exuberant son, as he raced through the front door of the building and across to where he stood at the front desk. "Norman, how many times must I ask you not to startle me like that? If I damage these books, you will not have the first hint of a birthday present," he warned, as that date was growing closer.

He almost could not believe it; his son was nearly five years old. How time flew. Elex shook his head and finished stacking the books into their categories within the trolley Risteph would use to move them around the library and put them away. The system made their lives easier, but still did not rival the ease of when the young Prince visited and used his magic to help them on busy days. But then, magic made everything easier.

"I am sorry, papa. I just wanted to show you what I made at school," Norman said, his tone subdued and quiet, though not tainted with hurt. He knew that Elex was not truly angry with him, only trying to remind him of his promise.

Once his hands were free, Elex turned and crouched in front of his son with a smile. "Thank you for understanding and apologising. And I would love to see what you made at school. Shall we sit in my office, so you can tell me all the exciting things that happened today?" he offered, as an alternative to standing and taking a quick glimpse at whatever had him so excited.

His own father had not even given him that much, as a boy. He cared for naught but the betting section of the newspaper, while Elex's mother worked herself to death at a flower stall in the market. Elex learned from a young age to work hard and achieve great things, but never to expect anyone to care. Especially not his father.

Long before Norman came along, Elex promised himself he would be a better father than his own had been. It may have taken him some time, and he may have failed in some ways, but he thought perhaps Norman's smile was the proof that he had succeeded.

Still, Norman nodded eagerly to Elex's suggestion, so he ruffled his boy's hair and held out his hand. Once that tiny hand was clasped in his, he walked his son over to the staircase, up the winding steps and into his office, before closing the door to give them some privacy.

Norman settled himself and unpacked his school bag, while Elex crossed to their kitchen and made them a hot drink. It did not take long before he placed a mug of hot chocolate, with a biscuit treat, in front of him as he took his seat.

The look of utter delight on Norman's face was beautiful. Only vampires could afford to buy chocolate, but the owner of the library was a vampire and had been generous enough to continue ordering in plenty of it, even after he moved to a more managerial position, overseeing everything from a distance. Elex could not be more grateful.

To know that the apartment was only the start of wonderful things had reassured Elex that things had finally taken a turn for the best. He could begin to save his wages and build a life, and savings, in case anything ever happened where he might need it. They had a safe roof over their heads and the privacy, space and time to grieve, to be together, to think and to adjust to their new lives.

Nothing about it had been easy, but it was getting there. Norman had stopped waking up in the night, not knowing where he was or being afraid of the dark. Elex had stopped having to talk him back into sleep, reminding him that he was safe and that the light from the hospital wards would not disturb his sleep anymore.

It was the little things that continued to surprise them. Things they thought they'd become used to. Just as he had, somehow, become used to the fact that he was a single father, his wife was dead and the time for grieving was over.

Elex watched Norman focus on his drink and biscuit for a short time, as he thought about all they had been through. Losing his wife had been a shock, especially when it had come at a time when Norman was barely old enough to understand their relationship. They had not married for love, nor really felt affection beyond friendship for each other, but they had loved Norman. Both of them had loved him with an intensity that they could never find it in themselves to have with each other.

As arranged marriages went, they had done well to like each other. It was more than some people had. But he could not bring himself to tell Norman that. Nor that his grief came not from losing his wife, but from losing a close friend, the mother of his son and someone who had helped him navigate the terrifying life of a parent. They had been clueless together, but Norman would never understand that, as young as he was.

One day, he hoped to tell him the truth, but not until he was of an age to grasp the differences of love. That one could love someone but not be in love with them.

Theirs had been a strange kind of marriage, but it had worked for them. In so many ways. Now, he barely knew what he cried in loss over when he thought of her. He could not even yet think or speak her name without becoming overwhelmed with sadness and a sense of hopelessness.

But he was not hopeless. Not anymore. Not since Jaycob had taken pity on a broken man and helped him find his feet again.

"Can I tell you of my day now, papa?" Norman asked, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand as he waited patiently for permission to begin talking.

"Of course. I want to hear everything," he promised, making sure to smile and keep the sadness and irrational fear hidden from his eyes. It was not Norman's fault that he felt a failure and a fraud. The sense of inadequacy that encased him every morning he woke to a new afternoon was almost becoming familiar.

He would keep pushing it down and away, until he no longer had to acknowledge it. Jaycob had helped put him on his feet, but it was up to Elex to stay there. He would not fall apart again. He had to get his act together, for Norman's sake. He was all that mattered, now. Norman and his happiness. Elex would not be the spectre of sadness to ruin his childhood. He had been strong and brave until now, so Elex would do his best to channel that strength from his son to reinforce it. And he would. With time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

588K 32.5K 40
the king of the richmond reunites with the prince of crime.
10.1K 644 38
What happens when vampires and werewolves,( natural born enemies.) Decide to live together as equals on the same lands. What will happen when a werew...
3.7K 163 27
What happens when the president's son falls in love with a Prince who is tied down by the archaic traditions of his society. Two people from differen...
58.6K 2.8K 21
Disclaimer: this is the third instalment of a three part book series. Therefore to get the full story you should read the first two instalments, name...