The Royal Series 0 - A Royal...

By ElaineWhite

Life. Love. Blood. Even a vampire King can fall in love. Faith. Honour. Heart. Even a poor, deaf boy can beco... More

Introduction
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 1
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 2
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 3
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 4
The Archer & The Hunter: Part 5
Love On A Battlefield: Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Promised to Him: Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Strangers Once Again: Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
A Little Faith: Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Too Young to Die: Prologue

13 0 0
By ElaineWhite

August 3rd, 2110: 14 Years Old

† Harrington †

"Father!" Jaycob huffed and swatted at his father's hand as Spencer tried to fix his shirt collar for the third time.

Harrington hid a smile behind his hand, as he pretended to cough. He truly loved Spencer, who was a far better father than his own absent parent, but he did have to agree with Jaycob that he sometimes worried too much. One day, he would remind Jaycob that it was better to have a parent who was too attentive than one who did not care at all.

"I still cannot adjust to you calling me that. Am I not your 'daddy' anymore?" he asked, pouting just enough to let them know he was teasing.

Jaycob rolled his eyes, but a smile played on the edge of his lips. "I'm a big boy now, father. I cannot be seen calling you 'daddy'," he objected, a hint of pleading in his tone that Harrington understood all too well.

At fourteen, they were considered almost adults by the other children and the teachers at their school. It had come to the point where Jaycob had spent weeks pleading with his parents to let them walk to school alone. It would cause whispers and give the mean children too much to talk about if they continued to have a chaperone, usually either Spencer himself if he could, or the guard Camryn. Sometimes Jaycob's uncles would take turns, if they had the time away from work.

It was beginning to get embarrassing, but in a way that Harrington secretly liked. He could not help but look around the empty street outside Jaycob's home and smile. It was peaceful here, more so than his own home in the centre of Ruiseart. He so enjoyed the few minutes he got to spend here in the quiet of the world, before returning to the chaos of the town to venture to school.

His own home was nothing like the house his best friend lived in, but it was hardly a hovel. A simple house, in a cramped area of town, Harrington had spent his entire life feeling as though there were people all around him at every moment of his life. He craved peace and quiet, plenty of space, and lots of silence, perhaps more than his friend wanted freedom from the obligations of being a Prince.

Still, when Jaycob finally kissed his father's cheek and said goodbye for their first venture to school alone, he could only be glad for their friendship. Meeting in the streets by a fluke, because they had both followed a travelling game of football through the alleyways of Ruiseart, they had become friends instantly. Mostly because Jaycob had stopped Harrington from falling over his big feet and then proceeded to slip on a wet leaf over the cobbles and knock a tooth out. They had barely been three or four years old, but they had laughed so hard there had been tears.

That was the first time Jaycob brought him to his house, for snacks and to meet his parents, and Harrington found out he was a Prince.

They had been inseparable ever since.

"Lost to thoughts?" Jaycob enquired, snapping Harrington from his memories.

He smiled at his friend and nodded, as they finally walked to school together. "I was remembering the day I first met your father. He scared me so much, he was so quiet when he entered the room," he admitted with a chuckle. It was something Spencer had become an expert at; entering a room almost silently had become somewhat of a magic power, though Harrington would never forget what he had said, when he asked about it.

"Well, little one, as a deaf child, I had a terrible habit of being too loud in everything I did. I had no ability to hear how loudly I spoke or walked," Spencer had told him, with a faint smile and patience that his own father had never displayed when teaching him something. "After being shouted at by teachers or my parents one too many times, I learned to be quiet. I had friends who helped me, telling me if I was still too loud or if I was making progress. It is a habit I have never been able to break, and it bears me in good stead when walking through a silent hospital ward in the dead of day."

Harrington smiled and looked over at Jaycob. "Are you angry with your father for wanting to walk you to school?" he asked, not sure how he would feel if his father had ever offered to do such a thing. With his work in the construction industry he was often up so early that it was still dark when he left the house. Then he did not return until long after Harrington had been sent to bed.

Perhaps if they had lived a vampire lifestyle or the halfway compromise that Jaycob and his parents managed he might see more of his father. He would never suggest such a thing, though. His father hated vampires, because of the politics concerning the renovation of the towns. It was difficult enough to speak of his friendship with Jaycob at home, without mentioning the King.

Still, he knew that his father was a good man, and that every hour he worked was to keep them happy, healthy and with a home. Harrington simply wished he could spend more time with him, to perhaps learn who his father was when he wasn't at work.

"Not really," Jaycob replied, drawing his attention to his coat, as he tugged at a loose button. "I know father loves me and that is more than some children at school have, but he understands that I must be my own man. I will be King someday and I cannot have other people doing everything for me. I must be like my papa; I must do it all myself and if I cannot make my father understand why I must be able to walk to school alone, now that I am older, then I will never be a good King."

The reasoning made Harrington smile. "You do remember that you are only fourteen?" he teased, nudging his friend, who flushed. He was unlikely to be made King until he was at least of age, even if his papa did suffer an unexpected accident. They all knew that Spencer would take over the rule until Jaycob was of age, to give his son time to grow up and adapt to his fate.

Jaycob simply shrugged and sighed. "Sometimes, I forget."

Harrington lost his smile and hugged his best friend's arm, as he realised how true those words were. He would just have to make sure that they tried especially hard to remind Jaycob that he was still a child and would not face those immense responsibilities for some years yet. He hoped.

***

"You are wrong!" Jaycob shouted at the boy taunting him, his hands curled into fists by his side.

Harrington looked around the busy street, hoping one of the adults would intervene and shoo the bullies away. But everyone caught his eye and quickly looked away. Clearly, they were too afraid to interfere where the Prince was concerned, in case they were blamed if anything went wrong.

Frowning at their selfishness, knowing they would help if there was any hope of a royal reward for their actions, Harrington thought about what could be done.

"Your papa is a monster!" one of the boys, Baxter, said, with a sneer and laughter that caused the other four boys to join in. "Monster! Monster!" they chanted, all five of them shouting the same thing so loud that it could not be ignored by the adults, even if they wanted to.

Yet no one helped. And Jaycob looked so upset.

He had no idea of what to do.

"Have you seen a mirror recently?" Jaycob shot back at his bully. "You are the monster! You are so ugly that I am surprised the glass does not shatter upon meeting your reflection."

The shot was well aimed and Harrington would have smiled at what Jaycob's Uncle Parry would call 'verbal sparring' if it were not for the eerie silence that took hold. And the way the bully's face turned bright red.

Aware that the boys were getting closer, backing them towards an alley, Harrington did the only thing he could to prevent a disaster. Either Jaycob would get angry and do magic without meaning to or he would get hurt and Spencer would be furious. So he stepped forward and punched the bully in the face, using what his own father called a 'right hook' to deliver an impact that they would not see coming.

His fist landed on the boy's nose and he screamed, while three of the other boys stepped closer. With no idea if he could repeat the act again, as his hand throbbed painfully, Harrington looked to Jaycob for help.

His friend appeared shocked for a moment, then he raised his right hand and directed it at their attackers. All three boys froze in place.

Without thinking or waiting to find out what had happened or what might yet happen, Harrington grabbed Jaycob's hand and ran. His feet hurt in his new school shoes, but he tried to ignore the pinching of his skin as he led Jaycob away from the danger and somewhere safe. Where that might be, he had not a clue, but they could perhaps reach the school quickly and then the boys would be unable to retaliate until after school. By then, they could get a message to Spencer or someone else, to collect them and ensure they were able to get home safely.

"Do you think we will get in trouble?" Jaycob asked as they rounded a corner and emerged into a new street.

"Maybe. They might be too scared to tell on us," he admitted, hoping that would be the case. In any circumstance, the bully would be unwilling to admit to what Jaycob had said and the other boys would not want to admit to being bested by magic. "Besides, you are the Prince, Jaycob. They would not want it known that they were bullying the Prince or making fun of the King," he reasoned, remembering that important detail.

That alone should save them. In fact, he wished he had thought of that before, then Harrington might have reminded those awful boys of who they made fun of and what could be done to them if a guard was called. They were still children, so it would not be serious, but their parents would be informed and that would be enough to cease the incessant name calling that Jaycob suffered at school.

Despite the stories and the whispers, Harrington had met Jaycob's papa and he was not a monster. He simply looked sad and had a scarred face. There was nothing frightening about him. Although, he had a way of saying Jaycob's name that seemed to be universal to all parents; his own father could manage the same tone. He wondered if they took lessons to learn it, or if all people could do it, but only after they had children.

Laughing at the silly thought, Harrington released Jaycob's hand to wipe his sweaty palm on his trousers. As he did so, he glanced over his shoulder to check they were not being followed.

They were almost halfway to school and they could make it safely as long as their bullies were not following.

Before he could see much more than the usual bustle of street life, as customers began moving between the shops of the street, his toe caught on something and Harrington felt himself losing momentum. His head flipped back uncomfortably as his body flailed on its way to the ground, half attempting to keep him upright while the other half tried to make sure his fall was at least a little less dangerous than it might be.

As his head came closer to the cobbled street and he heard Jaycob's worried shout, he spotted the loose cobble he had tripped over. It felt as though time had slowed, his face coming closer to the road, his feet still halfway to leaving the ground.

Then something happened that shocked his senses, like they had snapped from slow motion into something so quick that only a vampire could manage. One minute he was facing a broken nose if he dropped at the angle he had fallen at, and the next he was standing upright, struggling to steady his feet beneath him, and Camryn stood before him.

"Hello," he said, somewhat shocked to find him standing there, so steady, so solid and with an arm around his waist. Looking down, he saw how comfortably it fit around his skinny frame and, for no reason he could fathom, a dopey smile came to his lips.

Harrington looked up into Camryn's eyes and felt frozen in time, as he saw them staring back at him. They were the most startling shade of blue. "Pretty," he whispered, already reaching his right hand up to touch the pale cheek so prominently sculpted beneath that eye.

Camryn flinched and backed away, removing his touch and the warmth of his presence, before looking to his left, where Jaycob appeared. "Are you alright, Jaycob?" he asked, once again using that casual tone with him that said they were family and formalities were not necessary.

"Yes, thank you." Jaycob eyed the guard suspiciously as he appeared at Harrington's side, patting his arm as he let his gaze roam over his body, clearly searching for injuries. "Thank you for rescuing Harrington. But, I must ask if my father sent you to spy on me," he said, as though it was the most natural thing in the world.

Before Harrington could scold him for being so suspicious, Camryn smiled and it felt like the world had brightened, somehow. As though the world had returned to the bright, happy, sunshine state it had been in before the sun began to fade.

"He did not, Jaycob, and you should know better than to ask." Camryn ventured to the side of the street, where a small boy stood holding a few wrapped parcels, with a look of shock. "Thank you. Here are some coins to spend how you wish," he said, handing over the coins and laughing as the boy's face lit up. He waited only until Camryn had taken the parcels before running off towards the shops.

When the guard returned to stand before Jaycob, he lifted the parcels in a sign of explanation. "I was running some errands for your father. He received a call to attend an emergency as soon as you left, but required these deliveries immediately, though they were not due to be sent to the hospital until later this day." He watched Jaycob until the younger boy nodded and hung his head.

"I apologise. I know better than to suggest that father would not keep his word," he confessed, only to glance up at Harrington for a second. "Though I do wonder why you continue to stare at Harrington the way you are. You have seen him countless times before today. Are you so concerned about his near fall?" he asked, apparently quite worried himself or he would never have mentioned it.

Intrigued, Harrington turned back to Camryn – as if he could ever look away! – and smiled at the thought of his concern. "Are you worried about me?" he asked, unable to help himself.

Clearing his throat, Camryn dipped his head. "If you boys will excuse me, I must get these deliveries to Spencer. Enjoy your walk to school," he said, only to take a few steps around them, before pausing and glancing back. "I would suggest a slower pace. I overheard your compatriots being reprimanded by a shop owner for being disrespectful to the royal family. I believe your walk to school will be more peaceful now. Though I do wish you would tell me when you face trouble," he remarked.

With the words of wisdom given, Camryn walked away. But not before Harrington noticed an unusually intense moment pass between them; his eyes unable to tear away from Camryn's blue and those blue refusing to break away from his brown.

It positively gave him shivers.

Jaycob's huff startled him out of the moment, turning to see his friend holding another wrapped parcel. "Uncle Camryn!" he called, already moving towards the guard as he waved the parcel he must have dropped while rushing to Harrington's aid.

When Camryn turned back and noticed Jaycob, he looked momentarily crestfallen before faking a smile and meeting them halfway. "Thank you, Jaycob." His eyes flicked towards Harrington's again and he could no longer keep quiet.

"Is this feeling what I think it is?"

Camryn swallowed and glanced in Jaycob's direction for a single second, before nodding. "Yes, Harrington."

"Then..." He barely knew the words to express himself, it was such a shock. Such an unexpected delight.

Taking pity on him, with a soft smile and gentle eyes, Camryn spoke the words trapped in Harrington's throat; "You are my life mate."

"What?!" Jaycob gasped and gazed at his guard in shock. "But...but you have known Harrington for years! How did you not know before today?" he asked, sounding so shocked that he wanted to ask why. It felt perfectly natural to him, but Harrington realised that perhaps the 'life mate' instincts that had kicked in were making him biased towards the strange situation.

"It is simple," Camryn replied, never tearing his gaze away from Harrington's. "You have reached an age of maturity for humans. At least, an age that was considered mature when humans and vampires first discovered each other. Now, it seems rather improper to have a life mate so young, but it cannot be denied. You have reached an age where the bond can detect what has been in front of me all along," he confessed, his voice a little dreamy and distance.

Harrington smiled, because he knew how that felt. He felt floaty and wonderful. He never wanted the feeling to fade. But then Camryn cleared his throat again – and why did he do such a thing? He was a vampire and they had no need for those human actions – and dipped his head.

"Thank you for the parcel. I had not noticed it was missing," he explained, only to skim his gaze over Harrington's with a faint smile. "I look forward to seeing you under better circumstances, once you are older, Harrington. Until this evening, Jaycob. Would you like me to walk you home from school?" he enquired, offering so much and yet denying him so much more that Harrington did not know what to do.

"No, thank you. I must fight my own battles," Jaycob announced, while continuing to look at them as though they were somehow being silly.

He was unable to speak as Camryn walked away. It was only when Jaycob tugged his jacket sleeve that Harrington snapped to attention and realised what had happened. "Life mates...he called me a boy!" he realised, frowning as that unpleasant fact pushed to the front of his brain. Then another thought occurred and he looked up at Jaycob. "And what did he mean by 'once you are older'?"

Jaycob laughed and pushed him onto their path towards school. "Uncle Camryn is being polite. Vampires do not just claim their life mates, as they used to," he explained, smiling in a way that suggested Harrington had missed something important. "Now, the laws decree that a human must be of age – according to their present laws – before a vampire can court them. That means Camryn must wait until you are sixteen before you can begin courting." He patted Harrington's arm, perhaps realising how disappointing that was, before linking their arms. "Do not worry, Harrington. The years will fly by, as we will be too busy with school to do much else."

His reasoning would have seemed sound any other day. But now Harrington knew what it felt like for that empty pit in his stomach to feel full. He knew what Camryn's gaze felt like and how it dimmed the entire world around him so that only Camryn shone bright. How could he survive two years without being able to experience those sensations again?

It would not fly by, as Jaycob claimed. It would be torture!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 265 35
18-year old "Robert" finds himself begging for a different life after he discovers that the marriage he has agreed to may very well be the end of hi...
7.9K 326 30
Mark was a poor boy in the village. His father dies in war and his mother remarries to a rich man named Joseph. Joseph has two children of his own; b...
94.5K 3K 42
It's the year 1769, you have a miserable life, living in an old, run down house in the Kingdom of Philis, until the King orders you to go to the Pala...
3.7K 163 27
What happens when the president's son falls in love with a Prince who is tied down by the archaic traditions of his society. Two people from differen...