The Fae's Chance

By SociallyAwkwardMime

[Completed] "Are you scared kitten?" He whispered in my ear. I squeaked out a 'no' and continued to look at e... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Authors Note
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Epilogue

Chapter 17

6.1K 211 8
By SociallyAwkwardMime

Hunter ???    5 hours later

I walked into my office.  It was practically nonexistent, considering that is had glass walls.  One of the many mistakes that the designers made for the HBC. The floors are a blinding white, and healthy green house plants are scattered around the room, and outside of it. 

Sitting down at the spinny chair behind my desk I notice something weird.  It was a heart shaped box of chocolates and a letter.  

This struck me as sketchy.  As much good that we hunters are doing for people, they don’t love us for it.  I would say most rather despise us, considering that our jobs may or may not have had a hand in the depression that the Faes caused.  

I opened the letter that was addressed to me, the head hunter.  

8730 Mission Drive, Saturday 12:30 a.m.  
              *Don’t be late

 “Jacob”  I yelled out for my second in command.  He’s a bit strange when it comes to the Fae, but his job always gets done so I ignore it.  Or at least I try, while he describes how fun it was to nearly disembody some 12 year old looking Fae.

He struts into the room, like he’s important, and seems to strike a pose once he reaches my desk.  It was kind of humorous to watch the way he moves, it’s like a duck trying to be a swan.  

His bleached blonde hair looks like it wants to scratch his blue eyes out.  His chin was high, and his chest was puffed way to far past his legs. He could be a cocky bastard sometimes, and it showed in how he held himself.  

It’s times like these I question how I ended up with this sick bastard.

“What do you need sir?”  Jacob questions with a small smirk.  

I wonder, if I told him to jump off a plane with only a pillow for protection, would he do it?

“Prepare the murder to be ready in 5 days, your going to lead.”  I don’t normally bring in the crows, but since it said to go at night, it sounds like it could be dangerous.

“I’ll start that right away sir” he said as he turned to go do his task.  

I went back to my paperwork and thought about tonight.  I would have gone myself if I didn’t have a date with my wife tonight.  She hates when work keeps me away from home. I’ve had to cancel date night  times in a row, one more and I’m sleeping on the couch for eternity. She might even kick me out of my house. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Thomas ♤  Present

I couldn’t sleep all night last night.  I kept thinking about how Axel and Micheal were getting impatient with my decision. 

Axel never told me outright that he didn’t want to wait anymore.  Micheal pulled me aside after dinner and told me that Axel was getting annoyed with me.  Then he told me that he was worried about what Axel might do if I took any longer with my choice.

It scared the hell out of me.

*Flashback*

I lifted my fork up and took the last bite of lasagna off of Axel’s plate, and then took the rest of Micheal’s bread.  They have been a tad bit less clingy and it was starting to worry me. They had been focusing on some pest, which I’m pretty sure is code for hunters.

“Can I go to my r-room now?”  I asked when my attempt to annoy them failed.  They are the only people I’m allowed to talk too since neither of them have gotten around to introducing me to the other humans.  They said they would, but they didn’t.

“Sure, I’m done too, so I’ll walk you to your room.”  Micheal said glancing over to Axel to see if he was okay with it.  He gave a curt nod and went back to looking at his phone, which he’s been on the whole time.  When I asked him about it he said that the pest was overstepping its boundaries.

With that I stood up, put my plate as fork in the stainless steel dishwasher and started walking to my room taking little steps so Micheal could catch up.  Stupid long legged people.

“Thomas, I hate to tell you this, I know how much stress your under.  I’m sorry that I caused the majority of it. But-”

“Just s-spit it out.”  I cut him off. I looked to be in pain, so I added a “please”.

“Axel is having trouble understanding why it’s taking so long with your decision.  He might just take you away whether you like it or not. I’m worried about you.” He said in a slightly waivery voice.  His eyebrows furrowed to the max.

I took in a deep breath while we strolled down the purple hallway to my room.  My mind started to swirl. I don’t want to be taken and misplaced all over again.  I already have no control over my situation, I don’t want to lose the one choice I was going to be allowed to make.

My feelings are all over the place.  On one hand I’m starting to grow just the tiniest bit of fondness, I refuse to accept any lovey dovey feelings, for them.  But, on the other hand, I want my parents to send someone to come find me. I miss them so much. I just want to go home. I’m not even allowed to pick out my own clothes here.

“I know this is hard for you to hear.  If you ever need to talk about it, I'll always be here for you.”  He patted my back and opened the door to my room for me. He bowed and held my hand as I walked in.  It was confusing he made me feel like a prince and a child all in one go. Normally it’s one or the other.

I couldn’t help it, I started laughing like a circus seal.

*End of Flashback*

I don’t want to be taken again, even if I kinda know the person.  Why can’t things go back to normal?

I rolled over on my bed, starfish style head down.  Violently pushing my head into the bed I screamed my frustrations out.  It was quite therapeutic.

Maybe I should just choose my person today?  Figure out which one I can stand the most, the one who gives me the most butterflies when I look at them.  

I don’t feel like talking to either of them right now, but I have to give them both a chance.  Since I talked to Mike last and he told me about what Axel said. It was kind of sweet of him to warn me, but before I pick one of them I have to talk to Axel.  

However, that means I actually have to get out of bed, and it’s pretty comfy shoving my face into the mattress.  It was kinda hard to breath, but I was okay with that.
After a while I got up and went to Axel’s room.  I hope he’s there because if not I just left my room for no reason and risked running into unknown people.  Don’t get me wrong, I want to talk to more people, but all the people I want to talk too aren’t here right now and it’s hard to talk to new people.

I felt my uncertainty as I looked at the plain white door that separated me from possibly making the biggest mistake of my life.  My hand seemed to move by itself as it knocked on the door. Nobody opened the door, and after a minute I decided it wasn’t worth it.  Just as I was about to go back to my room the door cracked.

“What took you so l-l-long!” I scolded him.  

“What do you mean?  I answered as soon as I heard your knock.  It didn’t take any longer than 10 seconds.”   He looked really confused. But, I guess when he saw my face becomes a tomato he figured out what happened.  His stupid smirk lit up his stupid face.  

“Huh? Oh, r-r-right.”  I can’t believe I did this.  I gave up on holding my head up and facing him, so instead I started at the floor.  Then his socks. They had chickens and biscuits on them. It was funny seeing as he was this big intimidating Fae, but his socks looked like the belonged to a 10 year old. 

“Aww, did somebody miss me.”  He ran his hand through his dark curly hair.  “I can’ts say I’m surprised. I’ve been told I have that effect on people.”

His cocky smile made my heart pound.  My face got even redder, and he laughed.  It was deep and joyful, and addicting.  

“I-I-I just wanted to talk”  I managed to say. Then looked him straight in the eyes.  Maybe if I stare him down he will forget this happened.

“What about?”  He asked with his eyebrows raised.

“Things.”

He smiled, and for the first time I noticed he had dimples.  Wait, this is the first time I have ever looked at his face long enough to see him smile.

Shit.  The butterflies.  Oh, my god I’m feeling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

299K 7.2K 50
BOOK 1 OF THE BIG BAD WOLF SERIES: "R-Roman, stop," He lingers on each kiss, teasing me with his tongue. Sparks erupt. "You make me so damn angry...
423K 10.8K 12
It was now nighttime and I returned to my room which was very dark. The curtains were closed, strange I'm sure it was open this morning... Whatever...
44.3K 1K 29
"Look at me Axel . I'm sorry I never should've- His lips were on mine and I grabbed his waist like it was the most natural thing in the world. His...
468K 26.2K 60
[BOOK 1] Not Edited - For the edited version see my bio Aquilam and Ignis, two clans fighting each other for more than a thousand years now. A pl...