✓ | DAWN OF US | Four (6 Unde...

By fhreyachaes

❝ you didn't see that coming? " " sweetheart, can you please stop pretending you're in an avengers movie? ❞ i... More

DISCLAIMER + CAST
➳ ONE
➳ TWO
➳ THREE
➳ FOUR
➳ FIVE
➳ SIX
➳ SEVEN
➳ EIGHT
➳ NINE
➳ ELEVEN
➳ TWELVE

➳ TEN

6K 231 44
By fhreyachaes

乱七八糟
(luàn qī bā zāo)
something is a total mess

YVETTE LEANED AGAINST THE SIDE OF THE CAR, WATCHING THE SUNSET BEFORE HER AS SHE LET HER THOUGHTS RUN FREELY. She remembered asking her parents as a child to go on parks, and perhaps even accompany her when the sun dips low into the horizon. They never had time for her — her whole childhood was taken from her.

     She wondered what it was like — to have a normal family out there with parents who loved and cared for their children. A mother who'd fuss over her and make sure she's eating her meals and a father who'd take her out on basketball or even baseball games, put her on his shoulders to watch the fireworks.

    "Does it ever bother you, bro?" Seven asked, and Yvette glanced over to where he and One sat on the hood of the car. "To mean nothing to anyone. Like, one wrong word in there, and they go find themselves an Eight. Nine?"

     "Why do you think I chose you?" One quipped back at him. "A man whose longest relationship's with a rifle."

     Yvette snorted and rolled her eyes at that.

     Seven chuckled as he said, "You don't know my fucking life, bro."

     "You can't do the stuff that we do and have someone you love," One reasoned. "It doesn't — it doesn't work."

     "Sure you can," she called out as both men turned to her. She smiled, warmth spreading throughout her chest as she remembered the way Four tucks her in his arm and holds her as though he never wanted to let go. "Just because I blow shit up and kick some ass doesn't mean I'm incapable of love."

     Seven jutted a thumb at her and gave One a pointed look. "She's right. Everybody's got someone or something to lose, man. Even you."

     One paused to assess the peaceful and contented smile on Yvette's face and at the knowing expression on Seven's. He cleared his throat and averted his eyes away from them. "No, I . . . I'm gonna leave this world the same way that I came into it. Alone, thank you."

     "You're as dramatic as ever," Yvette mused. "Ever since day one we've met. It's a wonder how I managed to put up with you."

     One flipped her the bird.

     Seven barked out laughing at them. "You can drop the boo-hoo bullshit 'cause I see through it," he told One, pushing himself off the hood as he made his way to the car.

     "You were good in there," One complimented Seven. Yvette slid into the driver's seat and revved the engine as the car purred to life.

     "Yeah, I know," Seven said cockily, opening the door to the backseat.

     "That Turkmen was garbage."

     The three laughed at that, strapping their seatbelts across their chest as Yvette put the car in reverse. "You've got a soul, man," Seven said to One. "You could let it out."

     "I can't believe you missed your opportunity to say 'let it go'," she said, clicking her tongue in faux disappointment.

     "Clever coming from the girl who doesn't know who Eminem is," One retorted back.

THE DAY OF THE DEAD
TURGISTAN RUINS

Yvette was sitting on the edge of a boulder, closing her eyes as she tried to save up her energy when she felt a shadow fall over her. Cracking an eye open, she found Four looking down at her with a grin tugging on his lips.

"Hey," he said. "Can we talk?"

     "Of course," she replied, moving over as she made space for Four who perched on the rock next to her. She watched him, feeling the way their arms and legs pressed against each other and sent warmth seeping through her clothes. "What's up?"

     Four's eyes locked on hers, gazing at her in a way that made her breath hitch on her throat. Smiling, he said softly, "That night I told you I was in love with you — I meant it. I don't know when exactly did it happen, I don't know what made me fall for you — but along the way, I did. Even before we agreed to no-strings-attached sex every so often, I'd fallen for you. Perhaps it was the way your eyes light up when you'd win a game, or the way you're so passionate in training, or how you're not ashamed of how hard you worked to get to where you are now — but I love you for them. I truly, wholeheartedly do."

     Yvette didn't know how to breathe — her chest had squeezed so tightly in itself that for a moment, she was rendered speechless. Finally, she said, "I know I'm not the best in words, and I know I can be cold and harsh and a real fucking bitch at times."

     Four let out a chuckle at that, eyes softening at her as his lips quirked up to a smile.

     "But I feel the same way," she confessed, feeling her shoulders lighten with the weight lifted off of them. "I want a relationship with you," she said earnestly. "A real one where we can do everything we want to do without holding back in fear of the other not wanting to reciprocate them." Yvette paused to look over the ruins and stones that gave them a view of the city below. "But with the mission we're about to have right now . . . "

     "You think it's best if we start anew after?" Four finished her sentence, and she turned to see him still watching her fondly. "I think that's a good idea. Best to start when all this shit goes down nicely and quickly."

     Yvette grinned toothily, her eyes turning to crescents that Four loved. "Then we can be together by then."

     He reached down and took her hand, interlocking their fingers together as he held her firmly. "For real this time. It'll be the dawn of us."

     She brought a hand up to affectionately brush a knuckle across his angular cheekbone. "I'll be able to do this."

     Four raised an eyebrow, smirking as he leaned over to swiftly press a chaste kiss on her forehead. "And I'll be able to do this."

     She laughed softly and nodded. "We just need to get this mission over with." She rose to her feet, tugging on their entwined hands as she pulled him over to where Five, Seven, and One stood overlooking the city. Four twisted them around so that he was shielding her from the sun's rays.

     "It's beautiful," Five said in awe, eyes drinking in the view.

     "Thank you," One replied back obnoxiously. "I just threw it together."

     They all shared amused looks at that, rolling their eyes at One's comment.

     "The route to Rovach's boat will take about an hour. We need every second." One slid his sunglasses off his face, turning to give them a somber expression as he quietly said, "You know, none of us will be remembered. What's about to happen will. Little things, they add up to big things." He let out a puff of breath. "Let's go change the world."

     Yvette felt Four squeeze her hand in his, and she let herself rest her head on his shoulder for a moment before taking out her tablet from her bag and expanding it wide open.

     "Hey, One," came Murat's staticky voice from the walkie-talkie. "I'm freaking the fuck out."

     Rovach's face appeared on Yvette's screen — he was sitting behind a desk with his hands clasped together as he spoke, "My fellow countrymen. Well — "

     And just as planned, the screen blacked out for a second before Murat appeared. He was pacing with an terrified look on his face as he said for all of Turgistan to see, "I can't do this — I can't go live." He turned and noticed he was already being broadcasted, clearing his throat once again. "My brothers and my sisters — I'm here to teach. It's time for a revolution. For so many years, our people have suffered under my brother. Free yourself, rise up. Set us free. It's time for a revolution."

     At that precise moment, White Flag by Bishop Briggs began to play throughout the city as it blasted from every single television that broadcasted Murat live. Yvette grinned, looking up to share a glance with Four who mirrored her expression.

     One spun around to face them, eyebrows rising in confusion. "Who picked this?"

     Five and Seven swiveled to Four simultaneously.

     "You're welcome," he said smoothly, raising a hand with a cocky grin on his face. "It's a good song."

     "This — no," One said with a shake of his head.

     "It's perfect," Four insisted.

     "It actually matches with the situation, not gonna lie," Yvette piped up.

     "That is subjective," One retorted at them.

     "Rise up," Murat's voice echoed from the tablet again. "And let's take our country back."

     She grinned and said, "I'll bet you every single person down there is going ballistic and perfectly matching the song."

     "You're on," Seven said.

     One sighed at them before pulling up his phone. "Let's see if this works." He tapped on the screen as they all looked over the city again — and watched as all the statues surrounding Rovach's building blew up one by one and sent plumes of smoke into the sky.

     "Nice job, Zero," Five said, sending her a grin as the two bumped fists.

     "Thanks," Yvette said. "I would've let Two and Three put in Angel Fire instead, but One said no fireworks."

     Four chuckled, slinging an arm casually over her shoulders. "I love it when you talk explosives." She stuck her tongue out at him.

     "Okay, let's move out," One said, heading over to the car so Three can drop them off at the port by the boats before he drives away for his job.

     Five and Seven followed after, and Yvette made a move to walk behind them when Four paused to reel her back to him. She cocked her head slightly upon seeing the serious look on his face. "You ready for this mission?"

     Without warning, Four slipped an arm around her waist and drew her close to him as he dipped his head down to capture her lips in his. He pulled back after a moment, leaving her flushed as he grinned roguishly and sent her a wink. "Now I am."

A/N

We have 30 minutes left before the movie ends! I can't wait for the book to finally be completed as well!

Thank you for reading this chapter, I hope you enjoyed it! Please don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts, thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 320 8
|| 2022 MJFAs FINALIST ; BEST SHORT STORY || 𝑨 𝑴𝑰𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑬𝑳 𝑱𝑨𝑪𝑲𝑺𝑶𝑵 𝑹𝑶𝑴𝑨𝑵𝑪𝑬 𝑺𝑯𝑶𝑹𝑻 𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑹𝒀 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒓𝒂 **MATURE C...
1K 36 9
Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. But for Michael, it isn't. For someone who doesn't see a reason to celebrate love at Christmas time...
20.3K 1.1K 25
Welcome to the Christmas Calendar 2020. Three times makes a habit, right? Well, just like previous years this will be a collection of imagines. And l...
9.1K 322 15
A LONG TIME AGO, IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY... THERE WAS THE JEDI AND THE SCOUNDREL. A LOVE STORY THAT COULD NEVER BE. OR COULD IT? [#1 in Skysolo f...