Entwined

By sabb24

The world is a cruel place filled with secrets, danger, and lies. After losing her entire pack in a deadly a... More

COPYRIGHT
Prologue
Chapter 1: Ruthless
Chapter 2: Games
Chapter 3: Warmth
Chapter 4: Pedestal
Chapter 5: Restless
Chapter 6: Everett
Chapter 7: Past & Present
Chapter 8: Candles
Chapter 9: Ripping Out Roots
Chapter 10: Eastern Formal
Chapter 11: Truth
Chapter 13: Pawn
Chapter 14: Strategy
Chapter 15: Counter Attack
Chapter 16: Blood
Chapter 17: Revelations
Chapter 18: Home
Epilogue

Chapter 12: Shattered

3.7K 173 10
By sabb24

Chapter 12: Shattered

Everett Tucker

       I’d never felt so detached from my body in my life as I watched my tiny, defenseless mate fight like a well-trained assassin against three highly ranked wolves.

       This must be a joke. I’m seriously dreaming, I never woke up and I’m still lying in bed with Juliet tucked in by my side.

       I couldn’t begin to process what was unfolding in front of my eyes. Juliet was incredible as she effortlessly fought off three deadly wolves, without them ever having the opportunity to attack her in return. I felt sick to my stomach; what in the world was happening? I couldn’t keep track of her tiny figure, as she took no more than five seconds to immobilize one wolf after another.

       Still in shock, I watched Alpha Michael burst into his wolf and charge toward her. Distantly, I felt my wolf snarl, pushing me to protect Juliet but my body just couldn’t respond. I was, for the first time in my life, in a state of powerless shock. Luckily, I watched Juliet fly over the angry wolf and settle on her feet before me, completely unscathed. I couldn’t even recognize the beautiful, lethal girl. I swallowed tightly, feeling the urge to wrap my arms around my mate and desperately get a grasp on the unbelievable situation.

       “J-Juliet,” I croaked as her gaze flickered up to meet mine. I knew the moment I looked into her evergreen eyes, that she was still my Juliet. I had no freaking clue what the hell was going on, and how she could move in the way she did, or more importantly, what the hell Michael was talking about when he said half-breed. But, I knew one thing…those green eyes belonged to my Juliet, my mate.

       Then, I watched in horror, as Michael’s wolf rose behind her and sunk his filthy teeth into her petite shoulder. I felt fury boil through my veins at an uncontrollable force, as I watched Juliet’s face fall with unthinkable pain. In the same second, I was about to flip over my desk when suddenly Juliet ripped herself shockingly away from the bite, injuring herself further. 

       JULIET! JULIET! JULIET! I stumbled towards her and felt an odd pinch in my own shoulder, as I fixated my gaze on her gushing blood. No… Juliet… I didn’t get a chance to do anything but stare as she dismissed her detrimental wound, and hurtled herself through my window without a pause.

Juliet Rose

       I ran for an hour and a half before the blood loss began to make me feel extremely woozy. I was pretty much setting myself up for slaughter at this point because I was sure I’d left a trail of blood all the way from Everett’s to here, in the middle of the forest. I slowed sluggishly and pinched the bridge of my nose in an attempt to stop myself from collapsing. I need to keep running because I knew there would be a manhunt set out for me. Thankfully, my speed allowed me to cover twice the ground of a regular wolf so, I could allow myself a few minutes of rest.

       I sighed as my arm hung lifelessly at my side, tingling uncomfortably. I just needed a second…I swallowed and allowed my shaky knees to collapse into the dirt. Before I knew it, I’d slid to the floor with my cheek resting against the cold earth.

       I attempted to pull up all of the happy memories I had with Everett to comfort myself, but all I could think about were his devastated eyes. I’d hurt him beyond words. If this wound didn’t kill me, the guilt and shame surely would. I didn’t know how much time passed before I began to watch my vision blur in and out of focus. I was no longer in any condition to fight so this was it, me, giving up as usual because I’m just a reckless rogue.

       I laughed shakily and remembered the wise words of my father long ago. ‘Rogues were supposed to be ruthless killers and connivers.’ I guessed I’d finally fit the bill. 

* * *

       I awoke alone and cold in the middle of the bitterly chill night. God, how long had I passed out for? I shuttered as I pushed myself up off the ground with my good arm. I guess I ran further than I’d thought.

        I rubbed my face tiredly and stood slowly, assessing my shoulder. I swallowed; I had a strong pain tolerance, so it looked a lot worse than it felt. Looking around quietly, I decided there was only one place I wanted to be in that moment, even if it meant my immediate death.

       This was probably the most senseless, idiotic, decision I’ve ever made… and I couldn’t have cared less. Hours later, I ended up at the forests edge near Everett’s mansion, entirely numb and dispirited. The courtyard was completely empty and most of the windows in the mansion were black so, I’d guessed it was later in the night than I thought. I took a deep breath, relishing in the familiar, homey scents and… Everett.

       Everett?

       I felt my entire body grow cold as his handsome figure stepped out of the shadows behind the stable. Of course he’d be here – he was always at the stables. When his gaze snapped up to my hooded figure, I watched his eyes grow wide with shock.

       “Juliet…” Everett ran to me and I robotically stepped back, suddenly terrified. Seeing my expression, Everett froze a few feet away from me, looking desperate. “Juliet… everything is going to be okay. Tell me what’s going on,” Everett started; he raised his palms up, showing me he meant me no harm. For a moment he seemed collected, until he realized the state of my wound.

       “Oh god, let me see your shoulder…” Everett’s face grew pained as he stumbled forward. Seeing him this way, standing in front of his perfect home and life, I knew this was time right time to tell the truth. He needed to know meeting me was a grave mistake and he needed to begin to move on.

       “Everett…I…” I started, feeling my throat drying up with the thought of what I was about to do.

            “Juliet, please come here, you’re hurt badly. I’ll get James, he’ll attend to you and we’ll figure all of this out…” Everett took another step toward me, so I took one back. “Juliet…” Everett’s eyes flashed with hurt and confusion.

            “Stop, Everett,” I whispered harshly, attempting to inject as much venom into my tone as possible; he needed to just stop. “I lied to you…about everything.” I threw myself into the fire and knew I’d never be able to take those words back. “I lost my pack in a massacre and then got picked up by rogues when I was six years-old.” I began, watching his face fall slowly with disbelief. “I’m a half-breed, which means I am half-human, half-wolf. That is also the reason you, or anyone else in your pack, could not pick up my scent during my stay with you. I was never attacked by rogues but instead, I came here to attack you.” I swallowed hard and felt my stomach twist. “I grew up as a murder and a thief. I attacked helpless villages with my rogue allies and let innocent people die over and over again. I’m the cold-hearted she-wolf. I’m the threat to your pack – I always have been,” I finished quietly and let the truth sink in. After a moment, I sighed sharply as Everett shook his head heatedly.

            “That’s not you; I know you Juliet, and you’re my mate,” Everett breathed and reached out to touch me. I clenched my teeth and dug my nails into my palms; I needed to let him go.

            “You thought you knew me, but you were miserably wrong. I’m a killer, Everett, and all I care about is myself,” I spat bitterly and hid my shaking fists behind my back. Now, it was time to lie to protect him. “I never loved you, I just said those things to get close to your pack and plan my attack. I mean, honestly, how famous would I be in the rogue world if I took down the invincible Eastern pack?” I sneered and laughed coldly to hide the tears rising in the back of my throat.

            “You’re lying,” Everett narrowed his eyes and took another step in my direction. He was beginning to look like a truly powerful Alpha male. Hell.

            “You think those rogues in the garden were there by chance? No, they came here for me because I attacked their leader like the psychotic killer that I am!” I screamed at him, making him freeze in place. I swear if he touches me, it’ll ruin everything. “You think I’m the girl I pretended to be? You’re so naïve!” I screeched and took a step back, feeling my heart begin to beat wildly.

            “You couldn’t have been pretending, Juliet. I love you, and I know you love me too,” Everett growled, spreading his arms wide in exasperation.

       “I don’t,” I spit out. “Go find someone who will actually return your feelings, because I never will,” I said bitterly. Everett’s arms dropped as he stared at me in fury.

       This was going to kill me and rip me up inside for the rest of my life. “Find someone who will actually make your pack proud. You don’t deserve this…” I whispered numbly and gripped the tree beside me; I was suddenly feeling weak and I needed the support to prevent myself from collapsing.  

            “What did you just say?” Everett snarled and clenched his fists at his sides, looking about ready to shift.

            “I said I don’t love you, I never loved you,” I stated simply and plastered another sneer to my face. Believe me… please believe me.

            “After that.” Everett’s eyes were pitch black now; I’d never seen him this way. Oh please don’t tell me he heard me clearly.

            “Nothing,” I snapped and took a few more steps back into the shadows.

            “I…don’t deserve this?” Everett took a huge step forward, and I shivered in turn. This was it, the words flew through my lips as if I’d been holding them back on a trembling rubber band since the moment I met him. I finally snapped under the pressure.

            “YOU DON’T DESERVE TO HAVE A REVOLTING MATE. YOU DON’T DESERVE TO BE HURT AFTER EVERYTHING YOU’VE BEEN THROUGH IN LIFE. FOR FUCKING SAKES, EVERETT TUCKER, YOU’RE THE ONE PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO DESERVES HAPPINESS AND I RUINED THAT FOR YOU. I COULD NEVER MAKE YOUR PACK PROUD BECAUSE I HAVE COUNTLESS BLOOD STAINS ON MY HANDS. I’M THE LOWEST OF THE LOW AND NOW YOU’RE STUCK HAVING TO HATE ME FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. YOU’RE MATED TO THE WORST POSSIBLE FORM OF BEING, A HALF-BREED ROGUE,” Screams ripped through my throat painfully and I felt my knees begin to shake horribly.

       That’s it, I laid it all out and I had nothing left to say. I knew it’d feel the warm, salty tears pour through my eyes the moment I stopped speaking. So there we stood, Everett and I breathing rapidly, with the truth lodged forever between us.

       I watched as lights in the mansion began to flicker on; the whole world must’ve heard my screaming confession.

       “You should’ve never saved me that day in the forest, you should’ve let me die,” I whispered, my heart shattering into pieces.

       With one final look at Everett’s wide, beautiful blue eyes, I turned and bolted back into the darkness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7M 234K 41
"Who was your first kiss?" Ares asked very seriously and my face started reddening. "I. . . haven't been kissed. Yet." I looked away as I didn't have...
91.7K 1K 9
Hermione and Draco get drunk and Hermione ends up pregnant now Narcissa is forcing them to get Married.
17K 450 23
What happens when you put the devil in the form of an angel? Answer, you get Arabella Rossi. A girl that has a dark past and a mothers instinct. Wh...
495K 11K 49
Sheltered shifter Celeste runs away after disappointing her parents with another failure to secure a worthy mate bond, but she accidentally stumbles...