Prologue

Hello! A little housekeeping notes before you get started, 

This story will be paired with Photos and Songs, provided for you in the side bar. Please note that the actors/actresses that I have chosen for my characters are based on my own, personal perceptions - you are completely free to ignore them and conjure up your own imaginative images. There is also a Video Trailer up for this novel, in order to help you get a better sense of what this book will be about; again, this is provided for you in the sidebar on the previous page. 

Thank you for checking out my work.

02/05/15 Edited

♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥

Prologue

            I sat, shivering, in the basement of the pack doctor’s house, with my mother cupping her cold hands over my ears.

            I couldn’t hear anything really, just a muffled crash every few minutes. So, instead, I watched my mother’s wild eyes illustrate the horror above. I didn’t understand; why were we down here, in this unfamiliar basement? 

            All I did know was that a few hours ago, I’d been sleeping peacefully at home. But then, in a panic, I’d been carried here. I wanted to scream and demand my mother for answers - but something about her strangled expression stopped me. 

            For what seemed like forever, I sat wondering how much longer we’d be here, and for what reason my father hadn’t come to find us.

            I wasn’t sure how much time passed before my mother dropped her hands away from my ears. The moment my hearing returned to its normal state, I realized my mother had been sobbing. Before I could comfort her, she turned to me with her hand over her mouth, and wrapped one of her long, slender arms around me. 

            It hurt, seeing my mother in such a despairing state. Because of that hurt, wetness began to spill from my eyes as well. Noticing my silent tears, my mother quickly yanked down her sleeve, brushing my cheeks tenderly. 

            “I need you to listen to me carefully, sweetheart, okay?” My mother cleared her throat, and shot an anxious glance at the ceiling. “I want you to hide under the stairs, alright? They won’t catch your scent because of what you are - you must hide there until it is safe. Do you promise me?” 

            They? Who are they? How long will we be here, under the stairs? Could we call father to come get us?  The worrisome thoughts whirled around in my head.

            “Sweetheart, do you promise?” My mother shook my shoulders desperately and gazed deeply into my eyes - it felt like she was staring into my very soul. 

            I nodded tightly, just as my mother abruptly grabbed my hand. After pulling me to my feet, and nestling me into a crook under the staircase compartment, my mother knelt in front of me quickly. The sound of splitting wood echoed above us, and I couldn’t help but notice my mother wince at the sound.