Chapter 1: Ruthless

Chapter 1: Ruthless

Eleven Years Later

       I crouched on a low tree branch as I scanned the quiet town bellow. It seemed so peaceful and serene that I almost felt guilty for thinking of disturbing it.

       Well… almost.

       “Don’t you go zoning out on me, Doll Face…” I rolled my eyes as Reid waved his hand across my face. He was broad and tall, making it easy for him to stretch up to me.

       Ugh, I hated how they called me doll face or mostly, doll. When first joining the pack, I’d been called worse and since it’s pretty much a pack rule to throw out your old name when you join, I’d been named Doll since I hit puberty. Gag me.

       “Hello? Did you hear what I said?” Reid growled up at me and jerked his chin, silently commanding my presence at his side. I narrowed my eyes into slits as I slithered from my branch and stood back on solid ground.

       If he weren’t the closest thing I had to a companion, I would’ve killed Reid long ago.

       Reid had found me with his group of rebel wolves when I was a child, and had raised me to live and breathe in his rogue world. I knew I was nothing more than a valuable asset but without a pack, home, or some sort of family, I didn’t have the luxury of any opposing life-style options. We were bandits, plain and simple. We stole, robbed and tore through villages to survive. Though, not to necessarily murder; that is, unless someone was senseless enough to stand in our way.

       It is the only life I have ever known, so why question it, if it keeps me alive?

       Reid shoved me and pointed to the village, knocking me out of my head.

       “You get in first, set off the smoke and lead the alpha and betas on a false trail, they’ll be near there.” He nodded in the direction of the town square.

       I sighed, I always the decoy.

       “Get in, get out and loop back here when you’re far enough…they won’t be able to follow your scent.” Reid continued, as he flashed one of his devilish smiles at me.

       Since I had been born a rare half-breed, half-wolf and half-human, I had inherited heightened strength, speed and senses but I couldn’t transform into a full-fledge wolf. Therefore, the entire reason I was seen as useful, was because I looked like a vulnerable human and had an almost impossibly traceable scent between man and wolf.

       Reid snaked his arm around my waist, digging his nails into my abdomen painfully. I snarled sharply and pushed him away; I hated when anyone touched me. “Don’t be like that, Doll,” Reid snarled and went to reach for me again, but I quickly slapped his hand away.

       “Leave me alone - I’m going,” I snapped and yanked the tiny smoke bombs out of my jacket pocket. Without waiting for his response, I tore past the growling wolves around me and flung myself down the steep hill. My light leather jacket rustled behind me as I increased my speed upon entering the village. A shriek of menacing thrill escaped from my lips as I flew through the town square, whipping the hazardous smoke bombs in every direction. I laughed bitterly as I caught a few shocked expressions in the dispersing crowd of villagers.

       As the smoke penetrated the village, I heard the familiar cries from my fellow rogues as they pounded down from the hilltop. I skittered to a halt, sensing two authoritative figures burst into the town square. Bingo.