Tales of the Vangen: The Blac...

By FritztheGrim

[Completed] The Royal Guard of the Empire has faithfully served Byzantia for nearly three centuries now. Hand... More

Chapter 1: A Change of Plans
Chapter 2: A Bad Omen
Chapter 3: A Midnight Visit
Chapter 4: A Case of Bad News
Chapter 5: A Lesson Learned
Chapter 6: A Plan With no Substance
Chapter 7: A Waste of Good Medicine
Chapter 8: A Quill Cuts Sharp
Chapter 9: A Hitch in the Plan
Chapter 10: A Light Unlike Any
Chapter 11: A Knock at the Door
Chapter 12: A Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 13: A Proud Fool
Chapter 14: A Man and A Bridge
Chapter 15: A Meeting Between Old Friends
Chapter 16: A Sanctuary for Gods and Men
Chapter 17: A Killer on the Loose
Chapter 18: A Dream of What May Come
Chapter 19: A Revelation of the Gilded Past
Chapter 20: A Moment of Laxity
Chapter 21: A Hunter Stalks His Prey
Chapter 22: A Light at the End of the Tunnel
Chapter 23: A Night to Remember
Chapter 24: A Ghost from Danic
Chapter 25: A Tooth for a Tooth
Chapter 26: A Woman's Temptation
Chapter 27: A Weapon's Right to Fear
Chapter 28: A Duel to the Death
Chapter 29: A Standoff Between Comrades
Chapter 30: A Dinner with the Family
Chapter 31: A Rendezvous at the Dead God's Home
Chapter 32: A Truth and A Lie
Chapter 33: A Monster in the Dark
Chapter 34: A Painful Truth
Chapter 35: A Dance With Death
Chapter 36: A New Day to Die
Chapter 37: A Chance to Regroup
Chapter 38: A Wall of Men
Chapter 39: A Giant of a Problem
Chapter 41: A Brother Betrayed
Chapter 42: A Parley at Sundown
Chapter 43: A Plan In Need
Chapter 44: A Gesture of Goodwill
Chapter 45: A Memories Worth of Trouble
Chapter 46: A Matter of Opinion
Chapter 47: A Discovery of a Lifetime
Chapter 48: A Dangerous Question Answered
Chapter 49: A Cold Cuffed Reminder
Chapter 50: A Plan to Kill the Unkillable
Chapter 51: A Duel's Beginning
Chapter 52: A Duel's End
Chapter 53: A Traitor In Our Midst
Chapter 54: A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Chapter 55: A Traitor's Trial
Chapter 56: A Farewell to an Old Friend
Chapter 57: A Round of Beer
Chapter 58: A Brotherhood Like No Other
Chapter 59: A Chance to Reflect
Chapter 60: A Wake Up Call
Chapter 61: A Magnificent Plan
Chapter 62: A War in Sacred Halls
Chapter 63: A Place Between Stones
Chapter 64: A Man's Love Runs Deep
Chapter 65: A Shadow of a Thought
Chapter 66: A Final Stand
Chapter 67: A Peaceful Death
Chapter 68: A Paradise Lost
Authors Note: The End, at Least for Now
Fan Art

Chapter 40: A Broken Heart

254 42 27
By FritztheGrim

The war room was alive with activity as Libro stepped in. The large, well-furnished halls were buzzing with officers and clerks, servants and men-at-arms, all taking and receiving orders. Libro stepped past a group of officers in red and gold surcoats as he worked to keep pace with Dux.

"Everyone's so well dressed," Libro remarked. "Not a speck of dirt on them." He looked down at his own clothes, still splattered with gore and grime from the previous night. The Vangen had been given little time for rest before Dux had put those still fit for service towards guard duty. Even the Captain himself had not changed, looking as dirty and gruff as a highwayman.

"Goes to show how the elites like to operate," Dux commented, still staring straight ahead. "Passing out orders behind the security of walls, leaving the work for the grunts."

Indeed, thought Libro. Very unlike the Vangen way. "By the way, Captain. Why am I here again? This place looks more fit for people like Civis or Regis. Strategists and the like, you know?"

Dux gave a sidelong glance. "Because you're the Chronicler. I want you to jot what happens down. This rebellion will go down in history one day, and I want everyone to know how exactly it happened. That is was the Vangen who ended the rebellion, starting now."

Libro felt a lump form in his throat. He didn't have the heart to tell Dux then that the Archive was ruined. "Yes...Indeed. I'll need some new ink and quills when given the chance. I can jot it down from memory."

"Fine by me. Now come along, the Strategium is this way." Dux winded down a corridor with Libro following close behind.

The next room they entered was more significant than the last. Dark stone walls vaulted towards a high ceiling, painted in a fresco of the Empire's founding. Each quarter displayed a critical event. The founding of the First Empire by Emperor Contanias. His son Constant ascending the throne after his father's passing and every son's ascension after that.

It was the last quarter that drew Libros' attention. Displayed was the Empress standing on the Palace's parade balcony, looking down at an unfinished pyre. Before, he wouldn't have given the fresco a second glance, but knowing what he did now, it left a tight knot in his gut.

He turned his attention away, focusing instead on the large, round stone stable seated in the room's center. The city of Byzantia stood on top, carved meticulously out of wood, ivory, and obsidian. Two people murmured nearby, picking up carvings of armies and placing them about the city, arguing amongst themselves.

The one on the right was an impeccably dressed man in his late fifties with sharp features and a graying well-trimmed beard. His hair was long, silvered, and pulled back into a tight ponytail. His mouth creased, creating deep lines in his face that made it appear that he'd scowled since the day he was born.

The one on the right thought was dressed more modestly. A woman in her mid-forties, although age had done little towards her youthful beauty. Her hair blazed fire red in the torchlight, a stark contrast to her freckled alabaster skin. When she turned to address the man, her neck craned shapely, falling down onto a set of strong shoulders.

It was only when Libro drew nearer that he finally realized who stood these people were. Lord Hallan of the Forge Lords and Lady Kent of the Bowmen Levies. Two of the most powerful noble houses in all of Byzantia. His thoughts rested on their banners hanging in the throne room and how far their history ran towards the ground.

Lord Hallan looked up, his narrow eyes hard and rimmed with dark marks. He parted a strand of long, gray hair and said, "Well, if it isn't the great Captain Dux himself. I'm glad you finally decided to show up. Tell me, how was Orienta? I'm sure it must be lovely this time of year." There was a hint of poison hidden in his smooth, honeyed voice.

Dux took the subtle remark and dealt it back equally, "My Lord Hallan, it is a surprise to see you. I half expected you to be in Gallia by now with the rebellion as it is."

Lord Hallan's mouth puckered. "Some of us needed to ensure the Empress' safety. While you and your men were busy playing soldier in heathen lands, I was busy holding off a rebel invasion."

Dux smiled, though his eyes did not. "Indeed, from the safety and comfort of the war room, no doubt. I'm sure your men did well defending the gates. It was good at least that we arrived in time to provide some support, although I dare say we hardly had to lift a finger."

Appearing countered, Lord Hallan settled his gaze on Libro next. "And just who is this? A sycophant of yours? The war room is for high ranking officers only. I demand that he be removed at once."

"This is Libro, our Chronicler." Dux introduced, waving a hand in his direction. " You should know how important history is to the Vangen. Given our current situation, I've decided that wherever I go, he goes. Try to understand."

Lord Hallan opened his mouth to remark before Lady Kent stepped in. "Gentleman, is this really a good time to start bickering? What with the rebellion and all?" the lady in question glared at them with a set of bright green eyes. Like Lord Hallan, she appeared to not have slept well, but there was a fire in her still that Libro found respectful.

Dux made a quick bow. "Apologies, my lady. To business then." Lord Hallan gave an approving noise.

"All matters aside," Lady Kent continued. "It is good to see you, Captain Dux, and your Vangen. Lord Hallan and I have been holding back the rebels for some time now. Nearly a month to be precise. Your arrival back from Orienta was very timely."

"I'm amazed that the Black Ministry had the gall to start something like this," Dux said. "After what had happened at Pyres Day, you would think turning traitor would be the least of anyone's concern."

"Indeed," Lord Hallan huffed, his arms crossed behind his back. "Truly a day of infamy, but that is what happens when you put your trust in Sorcerers."

"Doesn't your business rely on Sorcerers, Lord Hallan?" Dux pointed out. The man narrowed his eyes.

"Yes, while in chains and under constant watch." Lord Hallan gripped the table. "It is my belief that you keep the Talented in lock and key, not sitting in a lofty administration office. Something that I've made known to the Empress time and time again. But she has persistently told me that everything was under control. Time has proven this to be a falsehood."

"Are you doubting the Empress' judgment, Lord Hallan?" Dux asked. Libro froze, as did Lord Hallan.

The Lord chose his next words very carefully. "I do not doubt her majesty."

It looked like the Captain was enjoying making Lord Hallan squirm, Libro thought.

A smirk lilted on the corner of his lips, so faint that only Libro could see, hidden behind Dux's iron mask.

"It is obvious then that an outside source caused this rebellion," Dux mused, turning his attention to Lady Kent. "Not poor judgment."

The Lady nodded in agreement. "An astute observation. I have reason to believe that an attack was made against the Empress before the uprising."

"Assassins?"

Lady Kent shook her head. "No, something more magickal in nature. Tell me, do you know anything about the Attuned?"

Libro's ears pricked up at that. Her question bubbled up an old memory during his time in the Orphanarium. A man in red robes had appeared one day, looking for children who bore that description. The Watch had lined everyone up one by one to be inspected. Libro remembered how cold the man's eyes were when he stared into his as if he were sizing up a piece of meat for sale. Luckily, he had been spared, but a few had been selected and dragged off, screaming.

"Those sensitive to Magick, correct?" Dux said.

"Precisely," Lady Kent said. "On the day of the attack, half of my household's Attuned went into seizures. The other half died instantly. Those that were still alive were said to be mumbling something. It was brushed off as gibberish at first, but I have learned with time that the minds of a broken Talented are still quite useful."

"What did they say?" Dux demanded.

That the Heart of Magnus had been shattered."

There was a pause as those around the table wrapped their minds around what Lady Kent had said. Dux's brows furrowed in confusion. Lord Hallan glared down at the carving of the city, toying with an obsidian piece.

For some reason, Libro's thoughts drifted back to the rebels in Orienta, and the hill they so desperately dug into.

"I have no idea what that means." Dux finally said.

"And neither do we." Lady Kent nodded towards Lord Hallan. "The only one who might know is the Empress." The Lady paused to let that sink in. "And she hasn't left the throne room since the attack."

Dux took a deep breath, exhaling slowly out of his nose, his eyes going hard. "Then, I'll have to speak to her then."

"Her Majesty will not receive visitors." Lord Hallan snapped.

"She will receive me." Dux countered. "I am her Captain." Lord Hallan glared angrily but ultimately said nothing. For a while, silence dominated the war room once more.

Finally, Lady Kent said, "We'll need to prepare for another attack. The rebels may have scattered for now, but they will be back."

"My men are yours to command while I speak with the Empress," Dux said. "Lord Hallan, your men would do well with my Tribunes, Culter, Regis, and Magus. My Lady, I offer you Nox and Civis. All should be equally capable of whatever is asked of them."

"Thank you, Captain Dux." Lady Kent bowed. Lord Hallan merely gave a curt nod.

"If you have any supplies to spare, I have a few new recruits in need of proper weapons and armor." Dux continued.

"I will see it done." Lord Hallan's eyes narrowed. No doubt the man was not used to being ordered around, but pride it seemed could be set aside for now. "But what of Officer Libro there?" Lord Hallan added. "Where is he to go?"

Dux turned to look at Libro, the two of them locking eyes. "As I said, he is the Vangen's Chronicler. Where I go, he goes." The Captain motioned to leave. Libro bowed before the Lord and Lady one final time before following quickly at Dux's heels.

Libro kept close to Dux as he marched out the war room, turning down a stone hall, deeper into the Palace. Libro moved in silence as they stepped through the passageways, up stairwells, and across dimly lit corridors. It was only when Libro passed through a familiar set of wooden double doors that he recognized where Dux was going. Through the cold stone hallway, another set of doors came to greet them, carved in the guise of the Empress. The throne room.

Libro felt his heart leap into his throat. His mind itched as he drew closer, remember all the horrid dreams he had been subjected too. The Empress' prying. Her burning amber eyes. The lingering anger that made his nerves spark down his entire body. He almost wanted to run then, but obedience won out over his instincts. At least for now.

"Libro," Dux said suddenly. His voice echoed in the stone hallway, sounding heavy and sullen.

"Yes, sir?"

"I want you to wait for me here. Okay? I won't be long."

"Yes, Captain."

Dux hesitated before stepping towards the doors. Slowly, they parted, groaning like hungry beasts awaiting their next meal. From beyond, Libro could see the faint outline of the Onyx Throne, and sitting upon it The Empress. She sat there motionless, raising only a hand to beckon Dux in. He stepped deeper into the throne room until he'd passed entirely through.

The doors slammed shut with a jolt, their sound like the pounding of a catapult, echoing down the hallway until only the hiss of silence remained.

It was a long time before Dux emerged again. Libro looked up from where he sat shivering, eyes wide once he heard the doors open once more.

"Captain," Libro began to say, only to stop short. Dux looked like he hadn't slept in days instead of the hours he had been gone. His eyes were sunken in, face pale and slick with sweat. His lips were cracked and splitting. Hand clenching and unclenching. He looked down at Libro for a moment as if just recognizing him.

"Captain," Libro said again. "What happened?"

Dux shook his head and swallowed, only then did the fire return. His eyes went hard, his face returning to that iron mask of his.

"Nothing that concerns you." Dux stepped past Libro, his eyes focused ahead. "I have some business that needs tending too."

"I'll join you then," Libro said, moving to catch up. The Captain held out a hand.

"I'll be doing this alone. Go report to the Lady and see if she needs anything of you." Libro opened his mouth to object, but something in Dux's eye told him otherwise. He saluted, and the Captain swept down the rest of the steps before disappearing down the hall.

Alone once again, Libro stopped and stared at the doors to the throne room, the twin carvings of the Empress leering back at him. Whatever had happened in that throne room, it had left the Captain in a terrible state. Memories of Libro's past dreams sent a shiver up his spine.

Not wanting to disobey the Captain, Libro left, running as fast as he could back to the war room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 67 8
I joined the Rebellion to save my brother. Now I might be the one to die. Everyone knows that the Rebellion is the emperor's worst enemy. They fight...
95.5K 7.9K 32
Picked for the WattVamps February Showcase & now a Wattpad Dark Fantasy featured story! The Risen Series - Book 1 Rebellion I've been a cardholding...
196K 15.2K 51
{COMPLETED} The stars disappeared seventeen years ago. A black night sky has mirrored a bleak existence for the people of Auros. The Gifted, humans w...
777 114 25
A year has passed since the fall of Middengard. With the conspiracy against the Empress crushed under the Vangen's heel, an unlikely peace has fallen...