Queen of Asgard (NaNoWriMo201...

By Jamie-Michelle

Life was simpler for Suzume Hamada before she knew gods and monsters were real. The night her cousin was murd... More

Author's Note
Character Aesthetics
1: The Impossible
2: Split Second
3: Sif
4: Aftermath
5: Loki
6: An Offer
7: Devil In The Details
8: Saying Goodbye
9: Asgard
10: First Impressions
11: First Dates
12: Strategizing
13: Inside The Vault
14: Getting Started
15: Girl Talk
16: Loki Returns
17: Eir
18: Second Dates (Part One)
19: Second Dates (Part Two)
20: Second Dates (Part Three)
21: Bad Press
22: Entering The Ring
23: The First Trial (Part One)
24: The First Trial (Part Two)
25: The First Trial (Part Three)
26: The First Trial (Part Four)
27: The First Trial (Part Five)
28: A Time To Grieve
29: Departures
30: Backstory
31: Third Dates (Part One)
32: Third Dates (Part Two)
33: Third Dates (Part Three)
34: Disaster
35: Words Spoken
36: Living Arrangements
37: Curtain Time
38: Lights, Camera, Action!
39: After Party
40: Cold Shoulder
41: Real Talk
42: The Second Trial (Part One)
43: The Second Trial (Part Two)
44: The Second Trial (Part Three)
45: The Second Trial (Part Four)
46: Moving Forward
47: Invitations
48: Dinner Party
49: Road Trip
50: Brews and Bites
52: Operation Cobra
53: The Third Trial
54: Reunion
55: Ours
Epilogue: Wedding Bells
Final Author's Note

51:Cutting It Short

156 15 34
By Jamie-Michelle

The next morning saw me awake to the sound of Thor's snoring. I groaned inwardly, wishing for five more minutes of unconsciousness. However, as I rolled over to look at him, I found my found myself unable to be annoyed with him for long. He looked so cute asleep, his brown hair mussed on his pillow, mouth half open as he dreamed on. He'd kicked the covers around as well, revealing the lines of his biceps and the scratches I'd left along his arms the night before. I spotted even more along his back and I smiled to myself. He hadn't complained at all so I figured I hadn't hurt him too badly.

"Sleep well," I whispered as I placed a feather-light kiss across his cheek."I love you." I couldn't bear to wake him just yet so I decide to take advantage of his deep sleep to get a few things done. I slid out of bed, searching endlessly for my t-shirt but unable to find where I'd thrown it the night before. That had been the only one I'd brought. That left me with one choice; the dress I'd been wearing when I'd come here. Sighing, I grabbed it from the dresser I'd laid out on. At least the weather looked nicer now than it had last night. A quick splash of water on my face, some concealer on the bruises left on my exposed neck and shoulders and brushing out the snarls in my hair left me ready to go. If my timing was right, I'd be back before he even knew I was gone.

A quick stop to call a cab in the hotel lobby as well as a nearby Denny's was my last errand and I let myself get carried away in my thoughts, reflecting on the previous night as the cab pulled away from the hotel. Thor's cheesy but cute waltz in the parking lot, the way he'd kissed me as we made our way back inside which I was sure drew side-eyes from the staff. His soft touches turning hungry and curious as we found ourselves alone. His laughter as I more or less tackled him back onto the bed and let myself get carried away on the passion that had been building up inside us both all night.

The cab rolled to a stop and I was jostled from my reminiscence and faced with the waking world again.

"Hello," I greeted cashier as I walked inside and made way to the counter. "I had the to-go order for Suzume Hamada?" I stood off to the side as they began to put the finishing touches on my order, wishing that I still had a cell phone. Standing idly by was normal on Asgard, but far less so in Boston and I caught a few other patrons staring at me. I averted my gaze at that, not wanting to make the situation more awkward by staring back.

"Suzume?" I jumped at my name and turned but my shock turned to joy as I saw my former partner walking into the store.

"Matthew!" I exclaimed, rushing towards him and wrapping him a hug. "It's great to see you!"

"You too," he patted my back a moment before letting go. "Been way too long!" He beamed, showing the gap between his teeth, "You remember Danny?"

Indeed, I had recognized the black man beside him and I smiled. "Yes, you're the one who brought that jambalaya to the department potluck." We all laughed then, no doubt recalling how half the department had dived for the beer coolers after trying the spicy dish. "How are you guys?"

"Needing coffee," Matthew said eyeing the menu. "Can't start the day without it."

"And actual food," Danny reprimanded him, shaking his head fondly. "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

"And what's on the agenda today?" I asked, eyeing his attire. He wasn't in uniform but a pullover that bore the logo of the school Danny taught at. "Game day?"

"I won't be in the coach's chair," Danny corrected me, "it's the elementary kids wrestling today. It'll be nice to be a spectator for a change." It sounded more like a fine way to waste a Saturday but they looked happy to me. I was about to wish them luck when the cashier came back with two bags which contained my order. I reached for them but Matthew got there first.

"Please, allow me," he said, slipping his hands through the flimsy plastic. "Danny?"

"I'll get the table," he smiled. "It was nice to see you again Suzume."

"You too," I replied, as I slung my purse over my shoulder and headed out the door, Matthew not far behind with my food. "You didn't have to help me you know," I told him once we were outside and I walked to the cab I had ridden from the hotel. "I didn't want to interrupt your date."

"My grandmother would've risen out of her grave to scold me if I let you carry these by yourself. I'd rather she got to rest in peace."

I couldn't help but laugh at his joke, having heard many tale of the feisty Grandma Lily. "I'm really glad I ran into you guys, you both look good."

"You do too. What brought you home? I thought you were in Alaska."

"I am," I lied, "it's just a little hectic at the office so my boyfriend and I just wanted to get away. He's never been to Boston before and I know the area so we came here." I hoped he'd blame the cold wind for the redness in my cheeks.

"Sounds like you really like Alaska," Matthew said slyly and my face burned even hotter.

"I really like it there," I said, thankful I was able to be honest again. "It's never gonna be Boston but it feels like it could be home. And not just because of him," I added hastily and Matthew nodded and pulled open the door of the taxi so he could get my bags inside. "Thank you for the help."

"You're welcome," Matthew smiled warmly. "Well, you'd better get going before that food gets cold."

"And you shouldn't keep Danny waiting."

"Oh I'm not worried," my former partner shrugged. "He's a patient man."

"Considering it's been three years for you two he has to be," I teased. "It really was great to see you, take care of yourself."

"You too and don't be a stranger alright? Come down to civilization once in a while, it's good for you."

"I'll give you a call next time, maybe we can get coffee?"

"That'd be great," he raised his hand. "Take care Rookie."

I stuck my tongue out at his old nickname as I slid into the backseat of the car. I kept my eyes on my former partner as the driver pulled away and it was only when we turned the corner that I lost sight of him. Sighing, I leaned back against the seat and closed my eyes as I remembered our last encounter; Yuki's funeral. Six months had gone by since then and he hadn't changed at all. He spent his Saturdays at elementary wrestling matches with his boyfriend and with no idea of the worlds that surrounded them, each filled with more danger and wonder than the next. Matthew had been one of my closest friends half a year ago, but now, seeing him again I'd felt a distance. A gap that my knowledge of the greater worlds had created; the reason I'd had to lie to him when there had once been a time where I'd never had the need to.

I opened my eyes once again, my heart moving in slow, almost sad beats as the city I once loved and protected slid past my window. So much has changed, I thought as I looked at the sparse foliage that was so common for the area in November. I've changed. The cab came to a halt outside the hotel and I paid my fee, thanked the driver and grabbed my takeout.

Once inside the hotel, I went back to our room only to discover that Thor was not asleep as I had left him, but freshly showered and dressed in a white t-shirt and jeans as he lounged on the bed, flipping through the channels. "Where were you?" he demanded, throwing the remote aside once he saw me. "I was worried when I saw you'd gone!"

Blood rushed to my face as I set the bags on the small table. "Sorry," I apologized, "you were asleep so I went to get breakfast for us. Like omelettes?"

His arms wrapped around me and his warm breath tickled my neck as he kissed me cheek. "It's okay, just leave a note next time?"

So there was going to be a second trip to Boston? "I will," I promised as I extracted myself from his embrace so I could kiss him. "Eat up," I advised as I broke away, grabbing one of the still-warm containers. "We have a lot of ground to cover today."

"Can't we stay in?" Thor whined as he plopped theatrically on the couch with a large cinnamon roll in his hand. He considered the pastry for a moment and then added; "I'm sure we could think of a few things to do." His tongue snaked out, licking a stray bit of icing off his fingers that sent a ripple of desire through me. I remembered all too well how many things he'd done last night using the same appendage. I was sure that was what he was trying to do too but thankfully I was a woman who'd already learned the art of patience.

"We'll have an early night," I promised with a wink as I grabbed a roll for myself and sat next to him. "Now hurry up!"

***

The smell of salt wrapped me like an embrace as I led Thor down the sunny path. The Sunday morning meant the foot traffic was light as we moved down the walkway, the water glistening in the sunlight.

"So what is this place?" Thor asked, squinting at the glistening water.

"This is the South Bay Harbor trail."

"The same harbor your ancestors threw tea into?"

"The very same. They built this to connect the Boston neighborhoods to the harbor back in 2001. Took some protesting and fund-raising but I definitely think it's worth it." I side-stepped as a biker rolled around us and continued. "I used to run this every day that I could. I just love the smell!" I inhaled the briny scent deeply, utterly content as I leaned against the railing.

Thor slid closer and wrapped his arm through mine. "I like the smell too. Reminds of me my brother-he loved the sea." He sighed, "So did you ever run the whole thing?"

I shook my head and smiled. "Forty-seven miles is a bit much."

"Is this where you stopped then?"

"No, I went another mile and then grabbed a smoothie at a joint nearby and then took a cab home."

"Can we go there?"

I was about to tell him we could only go if he could handle walking there.Strawberry smoothies tasted better when they were earned. However, Thor's easy grin faded and turned into a thin, hard scowl as he pulled the disc I'd seen once before out of his pocket. The runes on it were crimson red and though I couldn't read them, his expression was telling enough as his face turned bone-white.

"What happened?" I asked, heart constricting in my chest as visions of fire-wolves and frost giants galloped through my mind.

"Whatever it is, it's not good." Thor said grimly as he stuck the disc back into the pocket of his leather jacket.

"We have to go home," I said instantly, grabbing his hand. "Get us out of the city and we'll call the Bifrost."

Thor nodded and after a quick glance to make sure no eyes were on us, the bay vanished and we were back on the dirt road. Thor wasted no time shouting an unfamiliar word to the sky which turned from a clear blue to a cluster of grey-black storm clouds. I closed my eyes as the bridge descended on us and swept us away from the world that had once been my home.

Seconds later, my feet touched down on stainless steel flooring. The clang of the landing was lost in the chaos spinning around the room. Freya, Foreseti, Hemidal and a fourth man I didn't recognize were talking in frantic tones which quieted as Thor and I landed. From the bridge in front of the great glass windows, I saw the Queen of Asgard baring down at us. In an elegant white dress and matching jacket she vanished and reappeared in front of us, her blazing eyes didn't match the demure look of her outfit.

"The Brigade has attacked again."

My heart dropped like a stone into my stomach as Freya continued in a  clipped tone. "We lost two civilians in the attack and a third is in  critical condition."

I couldn't stop the breath that exhaled from my lungs hearing that.  From what I knew of the Brigade, their attacks were usually much larger  in scale and so was the loss of life. "What happened?" I asked, my mouth  dry and I caught Foreseti and one other man I didn't know looking back  at me with curious eyes and somber expressions.

"They set a Dragr lose in a shopping center," Freya replied and the  way the others began whispering told me that whatever a Dragr was, it  wasn't good. I looked at Thor questioningly and he explained.

"A  Dragr is what happens when a vengeful soul returns to their body after  death." He grimaced and looked at his mother. "Do we know who they  were?"

Freya shook her head.  "Investigators are running footage through facial recognition software  and forensics is analyzing the scraps of clothing. Neither have come up  with anything yet."

Apparently zombies were another example of fiction-turned-real on  Asgard. "Can't they do an autopsy on the body? Compare dental records?"

"The only way to destroy a Dragr is to burn them." Thor said gruffly  as he crossed his arms, the veins popping out vividly against his skin.  "No body left to autopsy."

"Clever," I twisted the word like a curse. "Sending a monster that's  hard to track." I bit the inside of my lip, trying to work out the right  questions to ask. "What's required to make a Dragr?"

It was  Foreseti who answered me this time. "They always had violent deaths and  are often found guarding treasures. Most of them only attack when  someone gets too close. It's rare they wander farther than that."

"Then  figure out the maximum distance they can travel and cross reference it  with treasures and violent deaths within the area. It might narrow down a  list. I'm sure the Brigade has cleared out by now but they might have  left something behind that can help us."

"You don't have the  authority to issue commands Lady Suzume," the stranger finally addressed  me. He was a portly man with silver eyes that were made even more vivid  by his ebony skin tone.

My pride bristled a little at the  statement even as my rational mind saw he was right. Before I could say  anything however, Thor addressed the unknown man and blue lightening  crackled between his fingers. "That's enough Bragi. Lady Suzume has past  experience in matters like these and I think we should listen to her. "

Freya  nodded. "I agree as well which is why I already ordered those actions  to be taken." The queen smiled at me though I saw the tired lines around  her eyes. There was something else going on, something she hadn't  mentioned yet. And that's when it hit me as I scanned the room again.  Foreseti, Freya, Heimdal and Bragi. All important people I was certain  but one vital person was missing.

The King.

Odin.

No. This can't be happening. The  glass and steel started to spin and I braced myself along the railing  as dread pumped like poison through my veins. "Where's Odin?" My voice  carried far more than I had expected it to. At my question, Freya's  usually impeccable posture slouched like I'd put a lead weight on her  shoulders.

"With this most recent attack my husband thought it  prudent to take...more drastic measures to get information about how to  stop the Brigade."

Beside me, Thor pinched the bridge of his nose  and made a grab for the handrail as well. I let go hastily, all too  aware of the lighting still flitting around him. "What did he give up  this time?" he asked softly and Freya shook her head.

"I'm afraid a  need like this requires more than just an eye." She sighed and hung her  head, hands  curling to fists at her side. "He's hung himself from the  Tree of Life."

"What?" I couldn't stop my voice from shooting through an octave. "How can that accomplish anything? You said-."

Thor grabbed my hand and I winced, expecting the pain of an electric shock. When I looked at him though, I saw the current I'd seen before was gone. "It's an old magic," he said calmly. "The Yggdrasil is full of magic that can only be accessed by sacrifice- a sizable one too. Last time Dad had to give up his left eye."

I breathed again. "So he's alive?"

"Yes," Freya confirmed. "Alive but suffering. He hopes it will be enough to satisfy the tree's demand for blood so he can get the information we need."

A shiver ran down my spine. Now I knew why that tree had thrummed with so much power and life when I'd touched it. It wasn't just magic, it had been the blood and suffering of countless people feeding into it.

"Then what do we do now?"

"Our investigations into this attack will continue," Thor replied, letting go of my hand and standing tall. "And once Eir is done attending to the third victim I want him working directly at the Tree to monitor Dad. I Bragi, how soon can we set up a press conference?"

"I can have one ready for tomorrow morning Your Highness." the portly man said at once before he vanished to complete his task.

"Foreseti, do you remember what we talked about yesterday?"

"Yes sir."

"Then you know what to do. Heimdall, put this place on lock down. I don't want anyone coming or going today unless absolutely necessary." It was then that he looked at me. "Suzume?"

"Yes?"

"Find Sif, let her know what's going on. Tell her to get her Valkyrie's ready."

I nodded. I was definitely being given an easy task but I saw that he was serious rather than trying to manipulate me into staying on the side-lines. "And if she asks why, what should I say?"

Thor didn't miss a beat. "Tell her Operation Cobra is about to start."

********************************

New chapter and all that happiness we got to enjoy a few chapters ago-yeah nice while it lasted right?

Write on! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

340 238 25
ᴘɪʟᴏᴍᴀ ᴅᴀᴠɪɴꜱᴋʏ ɪꜱ ᴀ ɴᴏʀᴍᴀʟ ɢɪʀʟ ᴜɴᴛɪʟ ᴏɴᴇ ᴅᴀʏ ꜱʜᴇ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴢᴇꜱ ʜᴇʀ ʙᴇꜱᴛ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ, ᴡʜᴏ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇꜱ ɪꜱ ᴀ ʜᴀʟʟᴜᴄɪɴᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ᴘᴜʟʟꜱ ʜᴇʀ ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴛʏ...
2.6K 317 26
For a thousand years, the outside world meant nothing to the Norse trickster god, Loki, and his devoted wife, Sigyn. The little prison inside the cav...
569 14 24
You set out on a poorly planned mission to avenge a close friend and end up making an unlikely ally (Loki in disguise). The brief partnership ends up...
12.2K 532 45
COMPLETED! Loki lets out a small chuckle, his eyes sparking with wild delight, "Of course we're bad for each other. We're both raging thunderstorms t...