The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

By The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... More

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 7: Allies?
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 11: Uncertainty
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters
Chapter 19: Watch Your Back
Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess

536 23 0
By The3meraldQueen

I hide out in Gaius' chambers after hearing Arthur was looking to ask if I'd like to join the men on a hunting trip. Mithian is going, and Arthur wants me to accompany her. So naturally, I'm hiding, not wishing to endure having to listen to those two flirt and blush over one another. Not to mention I see no point in hunting unless it has a purpose.

Gaius still observes the letter we found yesterday on the map maker's apprentice. He seems to be lost in deep thought. I read a book I found amongst Gaius' hundreds of books. It's something about magical creatures, quite fascinating. Once I read one page, I couldn't stop, and what better way to pass the time than with a book?

I lay between a couple of barrels leaned against a bookshelf, a pile of cloth in-between for me to sit on. If Arthur came looking for me, I am perfectly hidden from the doorway to Gaius' chambers.

"I don't know why I bother", Merlin announces, emerging from his room, jacket in hand. My eyes shuffle from my book to Merlin. "I should just leave him to it, let him make his own mistakes, see how he gets on without me. I should resign."

I giggle at the warlock's statement, shaking my head in amusement. Gaius is too absorbed by the letter to pay attention to Merlin's protests.

Merlin looks over at Gaius, eyes narrowing as he yells, "I said, I should resign!"

"Quite so", Gaius whispers under his breath, magnifying glass in hand as he continues reading.

"Gaius, you're supposed to say 'No, no, he needs you even if he doesn't realise it'," Merlin argues, annoyed that Gaius isn't paying attention to him.

Still examining, Gaius replies, "Something's not quite right here."

"Exactly."

"I can't put my finger on it."

My eyes shuffle between the two men, trying to figure out the focus of the conversation. I'm unsure if I should listen to Merlin's rambling or Gaius' incoherent pondering.

"I have to go hunting. I hate hunting," Merlin grumbles, putting on his jacket as he heads for the door. "Thanks, Gaius, you really made me feel a whole lot better."

Merlin slams the door shut on his way out of the room, causing Gaius to look up in confusion, clearly not hearing a word that Merlin had said.

"Is everything okay, Gaius?" I ask, placing the book down and pulling myself from my makeshift hiding space.

Seemingly forgetting I was here, Gaius spins around in shock to have seen me emerge from the barrels. He shakes his head, eyes returning to the letter in hand. "I do not understand. Agravaine had found no sign of a break-in. The maps to the siege tunnels were left untouched, and the boy's body had shown no sign of having fallen. None of the evidence adds up."

I nod, having thought the same thing when we found his body. "You think he was set up?"

"I can't be sure, but I believe, even if he were guilty, that he wasn't acting alone."

I frown. "So what do we do with this knowledge?"

"There isn't much we can do", Gaius sighs, taking a seat behind his desk. "Let's just be thankful that whoever was behind all this didn't succeed."

I nod, agreeing. The situation has me wondering and curious. I want to dig into the mystery, but I also know that there is no point. There isn't enough evidence to go off.

***

Once again, I'm off to deliver remedies for Gaius, trotting down the stairs as I go. Not much work has been done today, Gaius seemingly distracted by the mysterious death. I don't blame him. The death is very suspicious. However, many of the physician duties have fallen on me today, surprisingly not as hard as I had thought it would be.

With the training Gaius has given me and our resources, I have found doing the job easy. With most men having gone on the hunt, Camelot has been relatively quiet. My day in result has been quite peaceful and enjoyable.

Not having to look at Arthur and Mithian has lifted my spirits far more than I had anticipated. Despite my liking towards Mithian, I still can't help the hurt feeling that being around her evokes. Hopefully, over time, this feeling will subside...if not, this is going to be an awkward family.

As I sweep down the stairs, I notice that the halls flood with knights who have returned from hunting. As I pass, I get many greetings. A smile forms on my face as I return the gestures, slipping between two knights before I come to a halt.

"Edythe! You didn't come hunting with us," Mithian beams, a kind smile placed on her lips.

My smile dies from my face, forming into a faint curl. "Oh, I was just too busy", I reply, eyes already hunting the crowd for Arthur. "Catch anything?"

"Well, there was a deer, but I must have missed because she disappeared", Mithan explains a shrug on her shoulders in excitement.

"Sounds exciting", I bellow, the fakest smile on my face. "Better luck next time."

"Indeed", Mithan agrees, her face falling grave as a thought crosses her mind. "If you see Arthur, can you make sure he is okay for me? He had a sudden...thought and then...became quiet. I'm sure it's nothing...it just seemed...."

"Oh", I frown ", I'll um, make sure to ask about it and check in on him."

"Thank you", Mithan bows. "I'll retire for the night. Good night Edythe."

"Good night, Mithan."

Mithan has barely moved toward the door before I'm setting off toward Percival. The knight helps tend to the horses. I'm not sure exactly what would have upset Arthur, but there's no doubt it has something to do with Gwen.

"Good evening, Percival."

"Hello, Edythe", Percival greets. "Delivering Gaius' remedies as always?"

I roll my eyes. "When am I not?" We share a chuckle. "Hey, have you seen Arthur?"

Percival shrugs. "Uh, he was here only a moment ago. Probably attending urgent business to do with the incident earlier."

I frown. "Incident?"

"Oh, he hasn't told you?"

"No."

Percival shrugs. "Oh...well. It's being kept hushed, so..."

I narrow my eyes on the knight in confusion. In the last few days, I have felt left out of most things, many of which I have avoided. But I can't help but feel like something has been going on around Camelot that I am unaware of. Gaius has been relatively hushed about the death. Arthur has been spending more time with Mithian and, when not with her, with Agravaine.

"I wouldn't worry about it, Edythe", Percival reassures. "It's been taken care of."

Before asking any more questions, Percival leads his horse toward the stables leaving me in the square with many questions.

Choosing to ignore whatever is going on, as everyone appears to want me to, I venture to find Arthur. This proves to be challenging as he seems to have disappeared off the face of the plant. I've noticed the same for Merlin. What is going on?

I eventually go to Arthur's chambers, figuring if he was upset, this is where he would go to get some peace. I don't hesitate as I plant loud knocks on the door.

"Who is it?"

"It's Edythe."

"Come in."

I slowly push open the door, hearing Arthur's voice's soft tone. He's sitting on the edge of his bed, hunched over with something in his hands. I tread lightly as if the slightest movement would set Arthur off. I don't know if Gwen is upsetting him, but I don't want to push if it is.

"You alright?" I ask, coming to a stop a few meters from his bed.

Arthur looks back at the object in his hand, which I can now see is a ring...the ring he gave Gwen. My stomach ties itself in a not.

"I found this in the woods", he answers with no emotion in his voice.

"Oh."

"Oh," Arthur repeats sadly, nodding.

"You want to talk about it?" I ask softly.

Arthur shakes his head. "I'm not sure I'd know what to talk about."

I nod, understanding what it's like to have so much you want to say yet not knowing how to put it into words. I can see that the ring pushed one question in particular into Arthur's mind. Did I do the right thing?

"Edythe?"

"Yes, Arthur?"

"Do you think my marriage to Mithian is the right thing to do?"

If I'm being honest with myself, Mithian is a really good thing for Arthur. I haven't seen him this happy in a long while. There's nothing we can do to change the past, but also not knowing what could have been is a curse. Not marrying Mithian would mean Arthur may not be able to move on, but that would also mean that he is open to choosing his path...

"Arthur. To be honest, it's not my place to decide. And it's no one's. This is your choice, and you have to decide what is good for you," I answer truthfully. "And I don't mean choosing what is best for everyone else. I mean you."

***

Once again, we find ourselves standing out in the square, watching the knights of Nemeth mount their horses for the trip home. I hadn't expected Arthur to make this decision. I was expecting him to disregard what I had said and choose for his people over himself. But my brother has managed to select for himself.

Merlin had told me that they had spoken, and whatever the warlock had said appears to have worked a charm on Arthur.

Princess Mithian descends the steps, passing by Arthur without a word. I can see the devastation on her face. The princess had started to like Arthur. I feel sorry for her, having liked the princess if I didn't think of Gwen. I couldn't imagine how she must feel.

"Princess", Arthur starts with a soft voice. Mithian stops but does not turn to face him as she puts on her gloves. "Forgive me."

"The time for words is over, sire", Mithian concludes, turning to face Arthur.

"I understand. And it is for this reason that I hereby offer you and your descendants all the disputed lands of Gedref."

Taken aback, Mithian questions, "You would give up your ancient claims?"

"I have no desire for war. Or to grieve you any more than I already have."

I don't particularly know much about land rights or why kings must fight over such stupid small patches of land. But I do understand ancestry and what it means to people. So I know what it means to give up something like land with said history.

"Such an offer cannot be rushed into."

"I've had my scribes draw up an agreement", Arthur quickly adds, pulling out a scroll. "If you're happy with the terms, I'll sign forthwith."

"And if I refuse?" Mithian questions defiantly.

"It's all I can offer. I do so most humbly...." Arthur bows, handing Mithian the scroll, a hope in his eye that she will take his offer.

Mithan looks at the scroll for a moment, considering what Arthur has said before she takes the scroll. "Tell me...who is it that trumps a princess?"

"No one," Arthur thinks for a moment. "And everyone."

I feel the smile grows on my face, knowing in my heart what this now means.

"What great family is she from?"

Arthur sucks in a breath. "None...She's the daughter of a blacksmith."

"And for her, you would risk your kingship? Your kingdom?" Mithian asks softly, her mood beginning to lighten.

"Without her, they're worth nothing to me."

Tears well in my eyes, Merlin nudging me on the shoulder to stop me before I burst into a fit of tears. I already dislike this emotional part of me, but I also love that I'm embracing it.

"...I would give up my own kingdom to be so loved...." Mithian ponders out loud. Giving a soft smile, she says finally, "Farewell, Arthur."

Arthur returns the smile "Farewell, Princess."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.3K 633 20
Arthur Pendragon has always trusted his father's opinion of sorcery. He has witnessed, first hand, the atrocities Camelot's enemies could commit with...
8.4K 450 44
[2/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has lived an eventful life, spending most of it as a notorious felon among the seven kingdoms. Now, she has f...
6.8K 308 17
VIGILANTE SHIT- ❝ revenge is a good look on you ❞ IN WHICH, two sorcerers in camelot are both destined to take care of the king's most beloved, arthu...
40.6K 1.3K 17
Merlin is the prince of Crusia. Until his uncle attacked on night of him being crowned prince. He was taken from the battlefield and taken to Ealdor...