The Exile's Daughter

By SleepySindar

After surviving a terrible attack, Nesseldë finds herself alone in a world ensnared by an ever-growing darkne... More

A Flame in the Dark
New Beginnings
A Lucky Escape
Dark Tidings
Imladris
The Truth at Last
Small Comfort
The Long Fight Begins
The Growing Shadow
No Turning Aside
Final Preparations
To The North
Hope and Fear Come Hand in Hand
A Fair Stronghold
The Ceaseless Watch
In Memoriam
The Watchful Peace is Over
The Prancing Pony
The Battle of the Barrows
A Welcome Respite
Strengthening Ties
Out in the Open
An Uneasy Parting
Worst Fears
Bubbling Over
The Risk
Adjusting
Hope and Old Woes
Growing Danger
The Consequence of Fear
Silver linings
No Way Out
The Search Begins
Breathless Wanderings
The Battle of the Northmen
The Fallout
Picking Through the Ashes
Frantic Efforts
Faint Hopes
The Bigger Picture
Unlooked For
The Beginning of the End
Before the Morning
To The Last
Beyond Hope
Healing
Everlasting
Beginning
Update -The Next Adventure

Dawning Realisations

791 37 4
By SleepySindar

The next thing I knew, Legolas was shifting me gently into his arms and swinging a leg over the horse. I winced as my knee jolted and opened my eyes, watching him place me carefully on the grass. He smiled when he saw I was awake.

"It is early evening. We passed Bree a few hours ago and we should reach the hidden valley tomorrow before noon."

"How long was I asleep?" I sat up and took a drink from the water he handed me.

"About seven hours, perhaps." He chuckled. "I am hardly surprised. Three fights with no sleep is quite a challenge, especially for someone unused to this life."

He took our packs from the horse and sat beside me. Around us, the others were dropping to the ground. Some were tasked with lighting fires and refilling water, but many fell asleep where they sat. Galdor came over to take our flasks to the river, his eyes bruise-like with exhaustion.

"It is them I pity" I muttered, eyes on Mallor, his hairless chin drooping onto his chest. "How do mortal men manage such a day if even we are tired?"

Legolas shrugged slightly. "I suppose they do what they must. How is your knee?"

I avoided his eyes and spoke bluntly. "I can manage."

Legolas sighed good-naturedly. "I would never doubt that. I was only asking."

"I don't mean to be bad tempered. I'm sorry."

To my horror, a lump was rising in my throat. I thought back over the fights we'd won, my mind settling immovably on the Barrow-Wights. Though the voices had been raspy and distorted, hearing my family speak again had seemed a relief. That was the cruelty of those vile spirits, I supposed. They tricked people into yearning to be with them, though it was the voices of those they loved people truly longed for. I wanted my mother desperately. My mouth turned down.

"Ness", Legolas soothed. He shifted closer and, after a moment of hesitation, he wrapped his familiar arm gently around me. I lent my head slowly on his shoulder "Ma hen, mellon nin?" (S: what is this, my friend?")

"Goheno nin", I gasped, "Im penorven. boe annin postad" (S: forgive me, I am tired. I need to rest.)

"U mo edaved. Le a vellon" He stifled a sigh, shifting carefully closer. "You slept all day, so I know you do not speak the whole truth. Be honest with me. Is it the wights that upset you?" It seemed childish to tell him I wanted my mother and father, so I only nodded. (S: There is nothing to forgive. You are with a friend.)

"It's been a difficult day", I muttered. Legolas squeezed me closer.

"I knew you weren't alright" he sighed, "but we are of one mind. I do not think we will face them again, at least not soon. The rangers we fought with are tasked with patrolling the borders of the Shire and Bree. I expect they will be there for some years."

"Being silly", I sniffed, attempting to control myself and untie the knot of shame in my stomach.

"La vaethor veleg, Ness," Legolas assured me quietly, "but it is natural that such creatures would affect you so much, given what you've seen. There is no shame in grief." (S: you are a mighty warrior, Ness.)

"Ci vaer?" I asked tentatively. Legolas had been as badly affected, and yet he seemed his usual serene self. (S: Are you well?)

"I am just fine", he reassured me. "It is you who needs comfort today."

"Hannon le.", I smiled with effort, taking Legolas' other hand and squeezing it. He watched our clutching fingers for a second. (S: Thank you).

Shaking his head slightly, he offered a few more words of reassurance. "Avaro naeth. I 'ell nîn". (S: Don't worry. It was my pleasure.)

We looked at each other for a long moment. Legolas gave a tiny, almost quizzical smile. He let go of my hand and reached up to brush my cheek softly with his knuckles. I had seen those hands snap necks, cut throats and shoot down many enemies of the light; now they touched me, as soft as a piece of blossom which falls from a tree.

 My eyes strayed slowly, naturally, to his lips. Chancing a glance at him, I could see his gaze fixed on my mouth too. He bit his lower lip, tugging at the delicate pink skin. His eyes moved upwards slowly to meet mine. We shared an uncertain look.

Those few tempting seconds passed so quickly I wondered if I had lived them at all. He softly disentangled himself from me and stood. "Anírog vant?" (S: Do you want food?)

I nodded and he smiled again, bowing his head slightly before he went to find us something to eat. I frowned after him, wondering what on earth had just happened. It had ached, somehow, to be so close to Legolas. His presence had always comforted me, but as I watched him walk away it seemed to tug on my fëa to not follow him. I had never paid much attention to his lips before, either. They were bow-shaped, pale and smooth. (Q: soul)

I shook myself mentally. I was so used to being around him that his presence was bound to feel warm and safe. To be away from him only seemed strange because it was unusual. We spent almost all our time together among the Dúnedain – surely it was natural for him to feel like home.

However, why had he hesitated a moment ago? Countless times he had wrapped an arm around my shoulders to comfort me, but it had seemed somehow different. I closed my eyes for a second, recalling the precise weight and warmth of his strong arm pulling me into his side. 

"May I join you?" I jumped when a deeper voice reached my ears. "Sorry." Aragorn said hesitantly. I patted the ground next to me and he sat with a groan.

"Legolas is asking whether you are hungry." I smiled, pulling myself together valiantly to point at the elf. He held up a bowl to Aragorn, who nodded. Gandalf joined him at the fire, saying something that made him laugh and shake his head.

"So when were you going to tell me you have foresight?" Aragorn asked casually. I sighed.

"I've only known myself for three days. I saw something the night before we set out. The twins said it was foresight."

"What was it?" He asked. I thought back, recalling the strange, shivering sensation which had overcome me.

"I am unsure. I was on a mountain, and Legolas was with me. Others were behind us, but I could not see them. He said something strange, about a voice. I don't remember clearly."

"He is very fond of you, you know". I turned back to Aragorn to see him watching the one of whom I spoke. "He would do anything for you."

I half laughed. "What has Legolas' loyalty got to do with my new-found talents?"

Aragorn shrugged, but he looked thoughtful as he glanced between me beside him and Legolas preparing our supper. I frowned curiously at my friend. What did he think was going on between us? What was going on? I could feel my cheeks heating up and Aragorn grinned. "I see the way you look at each other. I know that look well. Arwen wears it when she sees me, and I am sure I mirror it when I see her." He raised a teasing eyebrow as I glared.

"Shut up. He takes care of me, like any friend would. You do the same for us both."

"I see you both as family, but that is a different kind of love. I am only stating the evidence of my eyes." he said calmly, concealing a smirk. "You are unspeakably beautiful, of course, dear friend, and I can see the appeal from your perspective. Big blue eyes, long bright hair, and he's so strong".

"I am not in the mood, Aragorn!" I sighed, hoping he could not see the uncertainty behind my eyes.

"In fair Imladris, my beloved of nearly 60 years awaits me. If that does not tell you I know love when I see it, nothing will." Aragorn answered, raising an eyebrow. "I saw you holding hands in the Pony last night, I saw the smile you gave him when he took your arm, and a few minutes ago, I saw him comfort you with such care. You looked at each other for a moment, and I thought I had witnessed something you would rather keep private. Mortal I may be, and I know the friendships and interactions of elves are completely different to those of men, but I know him, and I know you."

"So, we're close friends!" I shrugged, ignoring his comment about the strange moment a few minutes ago. "He is my closest friend." I said, quieter now. Secretly, I wondered whether there was truth in his teasing, "Even if you were right, which you are not, why would I ruin such a close friendship?"

"Love strengthens a relationship", Aragorn smiled.

"I don't love him!"

"Of course you don't." Aragorn chuckled disbelievingly. I shushed him desperately as Legolas and Mithrandir strode over with the food.

"Is he teasing you again?" Legolas lamented, handing me a spoon while I balanced my bowl in my lap.

"Relentlessly" I moaned, glaring at him out of the corner of my eye. Aragorn chuckled but said nothing, and Legolas wrapped an arm around me. Oblivious to the nature of Aragorn's joking, he was being incredibly unhelpful.

"Feeling happier?" He asked tentatively. Despite my embarrassment, my face softened, and I nodded with a smile. "Good", he whispered, releasing me. He turned to his other side and reached for his pack. "You should put your knee up."

"I'm sure it'll be fine", I assured, watching as he took out his blanket to make a cushion, placing it securely on top of his pack.

"It will help reduce the swelling. Put it up", Aragorn ordered. I tried to lift my leg. However, it was difficult to move it. Legolas moved forward to help after sending me a questioning glance. I nodded my consent, then he lifted my leg carefully, one hand keeping my knee straight, and settled it on the pack. I couldn't help but let my sigh of relief escape.

Legolas moved closer, sitting turned towards me so I could lean my back on him while we ate. I settled comfortably against his shoulder. "Thank you". He smiled easily and made an enthusiastic start to his food. I took a grateful bite from my own, determinedly avoiding Aragorn's eyes.

It's Christmas week!!! Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates! 

AM

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...
111K 2.7K 51
(An Official Wattpad Fan fiction) Follow Hedraliel, Legolas' wife as she gives a first hand account on how they met, the multiple love triangles that...
Promises By Emily

Fanfiction

20.7K 716 27
Valadhiel and Legolas grew up together in the Mirkwood palace. Over time, they both grew serious feelings for each other but never had the courage to...
4.1K 50 18
Arnwen is a dúnedain ranger. She has been hiding from the darkness in the east. When news following sauron's death comes, she thought that would be...