Pointe Shoes and Spider Webs

By TheMaskedBallerina

Peter Parker wants to become a better Spider-Man, so he's going to have to do some self-improvement. He consi... More

1. Stick To A Theme
2. Cinderella
3. Smoothies
4. Underwear
5. Saved
6. First Position
7. Distracted
8. Assessment
9. Focus
10. The List
11. The Science Guy
12. Sneezy
13. Red Faces
14. Vitals
15. Scar
16. Protective
17. Fuzzy Lights
18. Phone Call
19. Memories
20. Unexpected Visitor
21. Arrival
22. An Apology
23. Doctors
24. Diagnosis
25. Match Maker and Moment Killer
26. Confrontation
27. All About The Money
28. Poetry
29. A-R-T
30. Old Man
31. After School
32. Shower
33. Kitchen Towels and Cucumbers
34. Magnetism
36. Tests
37. Raspberry Cheesecake
38. Med Kit
39. Close Call
40. News Paper
41. Video Call
42. Balance
43. Girl Talk
44. Gold
45. Mask
46. Cup
47. Double-Edged Sword
48. Silver
49. Sneezy - The Sequel
50. Spider-Kiss
51. Holding Back
52. Open Back and Up-Do
53. The Halloween Party
54. Forever
55. Encore
56. Chat Room
57. Pancakes
58. Birthday Girl
59. Pointe Shoes and Spider Webs
60. Firebird
61. The Anemoi
62. Heist
63. Gesundheit
64. Rare
65. Tony
66. Anonymous
67. Common Ground
68. There You Are
69. Origin
70. Fine
71. Mirrored Glass
72. Argyria
73. Touch
74. Ravir
75. Broken Spell
76. Fit For A Zoo
77. Day Six
78. Channeling Device
79. Split In Two
80. Promises
81. Nerves
82. Backstage
83. The Sugar Plum Fairy
84. Swanilda
85. Spot Light
86. Sorcerers
87. Two Tyrones
88. Rooftop
89. Decision
90. Anything
91. Exertion
92. Withdrawals
93. Gone
94. She's Lying And She Knows It
95. Dove
96. Animals
97. Truly And Undeniably
98. Guardian Angel
99. I Missed You
100. Chemistry
101. In Control
102. The Summer Retreat
103. Death
104. Reconciliation
105. Independent
106. White Swan - Black Swan
107. Somm
108. Spite

35. Hoodie

619 22 8
By TheMaskedBallerina

Daphne wakes up slowly, not realizing what happened, or where she is. She's trying to make sense of her position and her heart beats faster when she figures out what's going on. Peter's lying on his back. His chest is bare. Daphne is laying right next to him on her side, holding onto him with her arm and having one leg pulled in over his body, hooking around his upper leg. She's like a koala, clinging onto a tree. Skin to skin. She doesn't hate it. On the contrary. She's actually really comfortable.

Her circulation isn't that great, so she's often chilly. Her hands and feet are practically always cold. Not right now, though. Peter emits a comfortable warmth, like a portable heater. He does feel warmer than anyone else she's ever met, but she guesses that's just how he is. Daphne realizes she's never slept as peacefully as she did with Peter at her side. Last week they'd fallen asleep together on the hospital bed, but Tony woke Peter up to go home. She can vividly remember the uncomfortable tightness she felt in her chest when she was woken up for a check-up and Peter was gone. But right now, he's here. With her. She's safe. With him.

Daphne peeks at the clock on her night stand. Four o'clock in the morning. She can probably get in another couple hours of sleep before she needs to study again. She doesn't really want to move right now anyways. She looks up at Peter's face. His mouth is slightly opened and he snores softly. His breathing is steady and slow and his face is completely relaxed. So peaceful. His brown curls are tousled and this time she can't fight the urge to tuck the strand of hair that's in his face back where it belongs. Her hand ghosts around his cheek and she smiles at him. At how soft he looks, even though she can barely see his face in the dark.

She pulls her arm back in and snuggles up against Peter just a little more. The moonlight illuminates his uncovered chest. Her eyes trace the lines of his muscles. He was definitely flexing last night. She suppresses a chuckle. She can't deny he's ripped, though. Who's his trainer? When does he even have time to maintain this physique? Ballet twice a week is not enough exercise. Especially not for pecs like those. Plus, he's quite the nerd. Peter spends a lot of time in Mr. Stark's lab and Daphne doesn't dare to imagine the piles of homework he gets at Midtown Tech. Not when she might be getting the same amount of homework soon too. He also spends time with Ned, building complicated Lego constructions. And his his aunt, whom he doesn't stop talking about once she's mentioned... When does Peter work out?

Daphne can't wait to meet May. She sounds like the best mother figure one could ask for. She wonders if May knows the gratitude and awe Peter has for her. Daphne can hear it in his tone. He loves her. Daphne is sure she'll love May too. She sighs and swears silently at herself for letting her thoughts wander so much. She's waking up and she doesn't want to. She wants to fall asleep again. But something just doesn't sit right with her.

Peter has some sort of secret. Which is weird, because he tells her literally everything about himself. Maybe that's the reason she hadn't suspected him yet. She closes her eyes, letting her mind race. What could it be? What is he hiding? Her thoughts don't add up and are making her tired again. She takes a deep breath and decides to ask him about it sometime after the tests. She has something more important to focus on than a secret that's most likely stupid and unimportant. If it could wait this long, it can probably wait a few more days. She does hope she's worrying for nothing. Maybe he just does a shit ton of push-ups before bed. Or when he wakes up, or something. She sighs, lets go of her thoughts, albeit with great difficulty, and drifts back off to sleep.

...

When Daphne wakes up again, she frowns. Her bed feels empty. She feels around the mattress and opens her eyes when she realizes everywhere around her is cold. She sits upright and looks at her room. Her chest feels tight again. Just like it did last week. Peter's shirt and sweater are missing from the floor. A quiet panic rises in her stomach. Where'd he go? She leaps out of bed and rushes to the living room, hoping to find him there. Instead, it's empty. And quiet. She frantically starts looking for her phone, not understanding why she's panicking so much. She lets herself fall onto the couch when she reads the text that he had sent an hour ago while she was still asleep.

Cindy:
Morning, dove, just swinging home real quick to freshen up. Be back at 9.

Her heart skips a beat. How proud must he be for figuring out he could change her nickname from Daph to dove. She frowns at the second half of the first sentence. Something feels odd about it, but she doesn't know what. She shakes the feeling and starts typing.

Daphne:
Morning! Did you have breakfast yet or am I making us some?

She stares at her screen for a minute as drowsiness catches up with her again. She sits up straight when he starts typing. She pulls in her legs and impatiently waits for his message.

Cindy:
F o o d !

She chortles and gets up, making her way to the bedroom as she types.

Daphne:
Bacon and eggs?

This time she doesn't have to wait for long. The same reply pops up immediately.

Cindy:
F o o d !

She holds her head with her free hand and smiles. He's such an idiot.

Daphne:
Be warned, I'm not a chef.

Cindy:
Dw, my aunt isn't a chef either. I love her but she can't cook.

Before Daphne can reply, he quickly sends another text.

Cindy:
Please don't tell her I said that.

Daphne grabs a towel and fresh underwear and presses it against her body under her arm so she can still type with two hands. She has a bit of time to freshen up before she has to start making breakfast for them.

Daphne:
My lips are sealed.

She sends him a few fitting emojis and puts her phone on the little shelf above the sink. She runs some hot water and washes her face. Her thoughts wander to what she's going to be doing today. More studying. Yay. She dries her face in the towel she grabbed and looks at her reflection in the mirror. At least Peter will be there to help her. She doesn't think she's ever understood physics as well as she does now. All thanks to him and his incredible patience with her. She washes herself quickly and changes into a clean pair of sweatpants and a loose-fitting shirt.

The bell rings. Daphne turns off the stove and walks to the intercom.
"Hiya!" She says cheerily.
"Hey, I'm back!" Peter's panting. Did he run here? "Sorry, I'm a little late! Had to take... Uh... A detour. Some thugs were holding hostages downtown and it messed up all the trains." Daphne hesitates. Her mind races back to her early morning thought flow. One word keeps repeating itself in her mind. Secret. She brings herself back to reality by shaking her head.
"Come on in!" She presses the buzzer and opens the front door. She heads back to the kitchen and puts the bacon and eggs on plates.

Suddenly, two arms wrap around her and a warm body is pressed against hers. The familiar presence makes her sigh contently.
"Smells good," Peter mumbles in her ear.
"I did my best," Daphne smiles as she places a hand on top of his arm.
"You're the best."
"Oh, shush." She wiggles free from his grasp and walks to the front door to close it. When she turns back to Peter, she notices he's wearing a Midtown Tech hoodie. He follows her gaze down to his chest. He scratches the back of his head and laughs apologetically.
"Figured it'd bring good luck."
"Let's hope it does." She steps towards him and lets her hands ghost over the school's logo. She then looks up to meet his gaze. He smiles softly at her, reassuring her that he's going to be there with her every step of the way. She cocks her head confidently and nods. "Let's fucking do this."

...

At nine o'clock at night, Derek unlocks the front door. He's surprised to find Peter still tutoring Daphne and he wonders if he ever left the house. Peter's different outfit makes Derek sigh in relief. He didn't sleep over. Peter's wearing a T-shirt right now. His school hoodie was discarded when they discussed the topic of motion. It lies on the chair next to the TV.
"Dad!" Daphne jumps up from the couch and practically throws herself against her father. "You're back!"
"Finally," he groans. "I love those animals, but they don't do all that much. 'Specially when they're sick." He throws his bag in the corner and doesn't even bother hanging up his coat. He embraces his daughter. "I would love that slice of cheesecake now, if you don't mind." He glances up to meet Peter's eyes.
"Yes, sir." Peter gets up immediately and awkwardly shuffles to the kitchen.
"Sorry, I couldn't wait. I had mine yesterday." Daphne pouts dramatically at her father, knowing he doesn't mind anyways.
"S'okay, Daph. I'm gonna run a bath real quick. How's the studying coming along?"
"We're just going over everything one more time now." Daphne smiles wide. She places her hands on her hips and her eyes beam with confidence. "I'm ready for anything!"
"That's amazing, kid." He pats her head and grins. "Was Pete of any help?" Daphne laughs.
"I'd still be on chapter one if it weren't for him."

...

Daphne cleans up Peter's glass. He left ten minutes ago. It's just past eleven. When Derek came home, Peter became incredibly awkward for some reason. Daphne guesses it's because they've been so close all weekend. Peter hasn't really touched her since her father came home. All he gave her was a hug, that felt just a little too short for her liking, right before he left. Her father went to bed the second Daphne closed the door behind Peter. He was exhausted, but didn't want her and Peter to spend a second by themselves anymore. His supervision made it all a little embarrassing, but she can't hate him for being protective of her. Even if it was a little too late. She chuckles. Daphne can already hear him snoring. She closes the science textbook when she spots Peter's school hoodie, still on the chair. She frowns. It's mid-October. Did he really go out without his hoodie? She grabs her phone and texts him.

Daphne:
Aren't you cold?

She tosses her phone on the couch and continues tidying up. She puts the dishes in the sink, but before she turns on the tap, she hears her phone buzz. She drops herself onto the couch and unlocks her phone.

Cindy:
No? Why?

Daphne scoffs and types.

Daphne:
It's like, 50 degrees outside. Your hoodie is still here!

She sucks on her teeth as she thinks. A mischievous grin grows on her face and she grabs the hoodie from the chair. She hides her face in it. It smells like him. Safe. She doesn't hesitate and puts it on. It's a little big on her, but it feels like he has his arms wrapped around her again. She sighs with her eyes closed, enjoying the moment. After a second or two she grabs her phone again. He hasn't replied yet, which is a little odd, as he's online. She holds the phone up and takes a selfie, making sure the logo on the hoodie is in frame. She squeezes her eyes shut and scrunches her nose as she smiles wide. She knows she always second guesses selfies, so she decides to not even look at it and just send it with the caption "See?". It doesn't take long for him to reply this time.

Cindy:
Looks good on you. Let's get you one in your size tomorrow!

He still hasn't given her a proper explanation as to why he can juts walk out in just a T-shirt during fall, but she finds herself not caring about that anymore. At least not right now. A warm, fuzzy feeling spreads through her body. Did he leave it for her on purpose? She wants to be swallowed whole by the hoodie. Relish in it. In him. He's going to have to get another one, cause she's keeping this one. She makes her way to her bedroom and turns off the lights, forgetting about the dishes. After brushing her teeth, she climbs into bed and looks at her phone one more time.

Daphne:
Thanks again, Pete. See you tomorrow! Night!

She attaches a heart emoji and hits send before she knows it. She panics for a second. She just sent him a heart! He doesn't keep her waiting for a reply, though.

Cindy:
Night, dove. Hope you sleep well.

She stares at the emoji he put in his reply. She takes a very slow, very deep breath. Her heart flutters and she squeals quietly, pressing her phone against her chest. He sent her a heart too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.4K 1.5K 69
The fictional plot of the following fanfiction occurs after the No Way Home finale. So please proceed your reading of this book with caution and just...
30.8K 715 12
*sequel to 'Just Out of Reach'* 'how to deal with your boyfriend's girlfriend returning from the dead' was not in any girlfriend handbook y/n was eve...
50.4K 818 39
Tom grabs my hand and wheels me into his room, slamming the door behind him before wrapping his hand around my neck, forcing my chin up to stare at h...
87.5K 3.6K 53
Y/N feels like the only person in the world who hates superheroes. Tony Stark is possibly her least favourite person in the world, especially since h...