1. FIGHTER - the maze runner...

By xoAwkwardDiamond

I didn't know what I was really doing most of the time. It may have seemed like I did but to be completely ho... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
SEQUEL
SEQUEL IS UP!

Chapter 23

57.8K 1.5K 1.4K
By xoAwkwardDiamond

      Alby's screams rung through the Glade, piercing the silence of night.

My eyes shot open, my body jolting up. My hand immediately went to my back reaching for an arrow. I patted my shoulders frantically, searching for the quiver.

But that was when I realized,

I was in the Glade.

In Homestead.

My eyes darted around the room, searching for any signs of danger. But all I saw was a dull, dark room filled with Glader-made furniture.

I drew out a long breath of air, feeling my back ache at the movement. I brought a hand through my hair, hoping that I would be able to get back to sleep without an issue.

I slowly laid back down into the cot, tugging at the thin white sheet that did nothing to warm me. My head sunk into the pillow, my eyes closing a moment before.

The pain relief pills Jeffery gave me earlier were the cause of me going to sleep. I didn't dream which was a good thing. I don't think I would be able to handle my dreams just yet.

But how am I supposed to get back to sleep now?

How 'bout that kiss of yours? My thoughts reminded me, making me inwardly scream like a fifteen-year-old girl seeing her favourite boy band in concert.

A smile pulled onto my face as the memory of Newt kissing me popped into my mind. I replayed the whole scene in my head like I was watching a romantic movie.

I shifted down slightly, trying to find my comfortable spot. But minutes went by without any luck of sleep.

Maybe it was because of Alby's screams continuing on. Or maybe it was because every time I would close my eyes, the sight of the griever would appear, like it was standing right in front of me.

So, I just laid there. Staring at the ceiling with my hands resting on my abdomen.

My mind was wandering everywhere. It went from the fears of being caught by grievers, to imagining myself eating a turnip that made me grow taller than the walls.

Ha! And the grievers would be like little, creepy lobsters that would pinch my feet. I thought.

My mind constantly wandered to Newt and the kiss, making me have little fangirl attacks. I tried to keep my mind from thinking about the night in the maze, but it was easier said than done. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to sleep anymore.

But my body wanted and needed the sleep. Twenty minutes later, I began drifting off. My mind slowly shut down, my thoughts pausing in place. It felt like my body sink into the bed as I relaxed. Everything stopped as my eyes shut, the darkness taking over sooner than I thought.

But once I was sucked into sleep, I didn't realize I was slowly trapping myself into a world of nightmares.

I ran through the maze. Feeling every muscle burn like a raging fire. My head snapped left and right, trying to make a decision on which way I should go. The roar of a griever coming from behind me, made the decision for me.

I ran down the left corridor, not really sure why.

I continued to run, my knees buckling every once and awhile. But I continued to run. Not even taking the quick second to look over my shoulder. My feet felt like bricks dipped in gold. I felt like I was carrying a thousand weights while running. I didn't even feel like I was going anywhere.

But eventually, the corridor made a sharp turn and for a second, I thought I had gotten away from all the madness.

I was wrong.

When I turned the corner, I spotted two grievers.

They weren't looking at me.

They were looking at the cornered Thomas.

They slowly crept in on him, ignoring his screams to stop. He looked at me with wide, fear-stricken eyes.

He screamed for me to help him.

But I couldn't.

I couldn't move.

I couldn't do anything.

Except scream his name.

Thomas' eyes turned to the creatures that were only a foot away from him. He screamed my name, dragging out every letter.

But his screams were cut off when the two monsters pounced.

They pushed his desperate figure out of my view, behind another corner.

But that didn't stop the pleading cries and screams from the boy I had a connection with.

The sound of metal sinking into skin was worse than the screaming cries of pain coming from Thomas.

Thomas sobbed.

My name being screamed every three seconds after a horrible crunch came from some bone in his body.

He cried.

His cries weren't used to plea for help anymore.

He cried because he knew there was no hope for him anymore.

He would be dead in seconds.

And there was nothing that he or I could do about it.

He screamed my name once again, his sobs hitting me like a ton of bricks.

His screams continued on and on.

And I did nothing.

I stood there.

Screaming his name like it would save his life.

But I knew that wouldn't happen.

I just continued to scream.

On and on.

"Ame!" A voice shook me awake.

I sat up, ignoring the pain shooting up my spine. My eyes scoured the room, looking for the grievers, the closing walls, the changing corridors, the ivy hanging from the walls, anything. But I didn't find a single thing like that.

I thankfully found that I was still in the Glade.

I felt someone in front of me, sitting on the bed by my knees. I felt hands on the sides of my arms, holding me firmly but not tightly. My eyes followed the arms to the body where I met the brown eyes of Thomas.

"Thom-" I tried saying, but my voice shook too much.

I didn't even hesitate to think of my actions. I pushed the sheet off me and almost leaped forward. I wrapped my shaking arms around Thomas' neck, holding him with a tight grip.

I felt Thomas tense from underneath my arms, most likely unsure of what to do. But after realizing what was happening, he didn't hesitate to wrap his arm around my shaky figure. He rocked me back and forth unsure what to do next.

I found it pretty calming though.

I didn't cry. As much as I wanted to, I held it in. I already cried in from of him...twice. And those were reasonable matters.

The first time I cried in front of him, it was because I had a knife against my throat, held by a sick boy that was practically insane. And the second time was when I had a griever's claw crushing my leg slowly.

But I was not going to cry over a nightmare.

I pulled away and looked at Thomas quickly, inspecting him and making sure there weren't any recent injuries. He looked at me with wide eyes and furrowed burrowed, probably thinking I've went crazy.

"Ame...are you alright?" Thomas asked cautiously.

I looked up at him with wide eyes filled with panic. I nodded slowly, blinking my eyes. I ran a hand through my messy hair letting out a puff of air, "Yeah. Yeah, I'm alright. Just a...just a nightmare."

Thomas nodded, looking down at his hands for a minute. His mouth opened and closed like he wanted to say something but couldn't find the right words. His thumb tapped the side of his hand as he searched his brain for something to say.

"I probably know what you were dreaming about.... You don't have to talk about it." Thomas finally said, quietly.

I looked up at him with furrowed brows, my eyes filled with concentration. I thought back to that moment when we were on the wall, tying Alby up. When the griever was just coming down the corridor. I blanked out for a few moments.

And during those few moments, it was like I was having a dream. But I was awake.

I don't want to say I had a "vision" because that would only make me sound insane.

I'm not sure what to think they are.

"Thomas?" I asked, in hope that he'll know the answer or can relate.

"Mhm," Thomas grumbled, looking at the floor.

I bit my lips nervously, trying to find the right words to ask him. I wasn't sure if I should tell him or bring it up. But I knew I needed to tell someone. Thomas is the only one I can truly connect with when it comes to these problems.

"Um...have you...y'know...dreamt anything weird lately?" I asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

Thomas turned to me with furrowed brows, a confused and almost an amused look pulling onto his face. "What?" He asked.

"Like voices in her head...when you sleep? Or weird thoughts?" I spoke, feeling more stupid by the minute.

"Voices?" Thomas questioned, his mood dropping quickly.

"Yeah...?" I played with my fingers while giving a nervous smile.

Thomas looked down, licking his lips quickly before gazing back up at me with a quizzical look. He looked around quickly, before lowering his voice and leaning towards me, "Have you?"

I pursed my lips closed, knowing that this was either the moment where he calls me crazy or the moment where he agrees.

I nodded my head slowly, being cautious of my answer.

"What was it of? When? Does it happen often?" Thomas asked frantically, his eyes scouring my face for answers.

"You can't tell anybody." I reminded quickly, glimpsing over towards the window for a second.

"Who am I going to tell? Don't answer that! You're probably just goin' t'say somethin' sarcastic! Just answer the first questions!" Thomas hissed.

"Alright," I hissed back at him before taking a deep breath and explaining everything.

"The first time I heard the voices...I think was when I remembered my name. Yeah. It was a young boy's voice. All he did was say my name and that was it. Didn't hear anything after that. But then, I think, that night. In my dreams, there were two voices talking. A boy and a girl. I didn't hear what they were saying, I just heard their voices. But then, the boy spoke to me. He said...'You never listen to me. I told you to tie your shoelaces,' or something. So, when I woke up and I was getting dressed, I realized that the laces on my combat boots were undone. I know that's probably just a coincidence but...now...I'm not so sure."

Thomas listened to me intently, focusing on every one of my words. He gritted his teeth in thought as I paused to let him process everything I was telling him. He gnawed on his bottom lip, trying to think of all the possible reasons as to why I was hearing these voices.

"Go on." Thomas said after a few seconds.

"The day when you arrived, before you went upstairs to look for Alby, I heard the voices again. They were talking as if they were best friends or brother and sister or whatever they were. I just remember the girl teasing the boy and the boy being all whiney and such. There was a bunch of other stuff like that that just popped into my head, but I haven't been able to make much sense of them. All I was able to come up with was that they're just daydreams. But I feel like there's more to it."

"When was the last time you...heard these voices?" Thomas asked, also having a hard time rephrasing the question.

"Actually...believe it or not...a night ago. In the maze. We were in the ivy. I don't know what was happening, but my mind all of a sudden went somewhere else. I couldn't see anything, all I saw we're silhouettes of children. It was a little girl and a boy. I remember the boy saying something. Something along the lines like, 'That's what big brothers are for,' I think. So I'm assuming they're siblings. The little girl had a nightmare and her older brother was comforting her. But the crazy part was...she dreamt she was in the maze. I mean, she didn't say she was in the maze, but the way she described it...it couldn't have been anything else." I spoke shaking my head after almost every sentence.

"Well...it could've been another maze...." Thomas said suggestively.

"Thomas?" I spoke, my voice cracking at the end.

Thomas looked up at me with knitted brows; the hopeful glints in his eyes were more obvious than the colour of his iris.

"The girl said she was being chased by monsters with mechanical arms by a sluggish body." I told; my voice barely audible.

Thomas' eyes widened, his breath noticeably getting caught in his throat. There was a moment where everything stopped and he just sat there staring at the ground with knitted brows.

I didn't know what he thought of me. I wonder if he thought I was crazy. Am I? There's a good possibility. But the voices have to be something. There must be a meaning. The voices are too real to be a daydream.

"Did anything else happen in the maze?" Thomas had his head down, his eyes looking directly at his feet while his voice was quiet and coy.

Tell him. Tell him that you heard his voice in your head. My thoughts told me as the opportunity opened.

"Yeah. Yeah, something else did happen." I gritted my teeth nervously.

My mouth went dry as I spoke. Every word that escaped my lips became more and more like dusty heaves of air.

"I heard your voice."

Thomas looked back to me, his face twisted in confusion. This was the look I was trying to avoid. This look made me feel like I was more of an outsider than I already am. Thomas looked at me like I was actually crazy. I didn't know if I should take it offensively or just feel hurt.

But you're not crazy. A voice said into my head that I didn't realize until later.

"What do y'mean?" Thomas asked once more, his full attention on me.

"Just before I ran between the closing walls, just after we had climbed off the ivy we tied Alby in. The griever was staring me down when I heard your voice scream at me to get through the walls. And that if I didn't go then, I would basically be killed. But you said it in your head...and I heard it. How do I know? 'Cause when I heard your voice, your mouth didn't move." I told, looking a Thomas dead in the eye without any emotions.

Thomas stared at me. His brows were still knitted together but the look that was being sent to me only minutes before, disappeared. Only to be replaced by a look of curiosity.

Minutes went by without anything said. Thomas' mouth continued to bob as he tried to find the right words to say or to ask. I didn't know what he was going to say, but I was mentally praying that it wouldn't be something along the lines of, "you're crazy".

But then, from the silence of the room, came Thomas' small voice. He only said five words, but they were enough to send a shiver up my spine.

"I heard your voice, too."

____________________

THIS IS REALLY SHORT and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

BUT HEY! I'M BACK! SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG BUT I NEEDED THE BREAK!

APPARENTLY IT PAID OF BECAUSE...

GUESS WHO HAS A 71% IN MATH!

I'M PROUD OF MYSELF.

ANYWAY, y'all don't care about these author's notes so...

FOLLOW, VOTE, AND COMMENT!!11!!!!1!! <3

Bye.

Love, xoAwkwardDiamond <33

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.7K 391 25
"𝙄 𝙙𝙞𝙙 𝙞𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪, 𝙉𝙚𝙬𝙩! 𝙎𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙜𝙚𝙩 𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙢𝙖𝙯𝙚!" "𝙉𝙤, 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨...
85.5K 1.5K 38
"𝜤'𝙫𝙚 𝙖𝒍𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙮 𝙩𝞸𝒍𝙙 𝙮𝞸𝙪 𝜤 𝙙𝞸𝙣'𝙩 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙮𝞸𝙪 𝙩𝞸 𝙥𝙧𝞸𝙩𝙚𝙘𝙩 𝙢𝙚, 𝜤 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝒍𝞸𝞸𝙠 𝙖𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙢𝙮𝙨𝙚𝒍𝙛 𝞜𝙚𝙬𝙩! �...
94K 1.2K 57
"Please, I like blondes," she smiled, not noticing the fact that that statement went straight to Newts head ──★ Somewhere in the vines of: cranks, l...
6.2K 69 8
One shots ig or well things I want to happen also for some reason I decided 4*Town is 16-17 and Mei and them are 15 turning 16 most of them are 16! A...