The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

By The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... More

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 7: Allies?
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 11: Uncertainty
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters
Chapter 19: Watch Your Back
Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers

577 30 7
By The3meraldQueen

Gaius spends much of his time studying into the death of the Map maker's apprentice. He insisted I get ready for the feast with Arthur and Mithian. It's far more 'important' than an investigation. As usual, I had no choice in the matter. Both Gaius and Arthur forced Merlin to see that I was ready for the feast. I'm still tough to be made 'proper' when nessicary.

My dress isn't the worst thing I've ever been forced to wear, the dark blue quite lovely if I do say so myself. The sleeve becomes short at my elbow, gold beading and stitches lying along with the deep V over my chest. Unfortunately, not leaving much to imagine for men. The dress isn't as long as most I've seen on Noble's wife's and not as thick. I presume this was per Arthur's request. I will most definitely have to thank him later.

It's strange to have my hair out. Naturally, I don't usually let my long hair fall from a braid or bun of some sort. It's always held back, which surprises me to see it long and wavy. I stare in the mirror for a long while, mesmerised that the same woman standing in the mirror is me. I can't believe that I'm the same woman I was a few months ago.

Finally pulling myself from my room, I begin to escort myself toward the feast. I've been too busy to ask someone to come with me. It wouldn't have taken much to get Gwaine to agree, although Gwaine is practically the life of the party. That very fact makes me decide to hunt for said Knight once I arrive. I need some form of entertainment to distract me from the flirting between Arthur and Mithian.

"Excuse me?" A soft voice calls from behind me.

I pause in my march, turning abruptly to see who has spoken. My breath hitches as I see the stunning Princess Mithian standing at the other end of the hall. Her brown curls hang beautifully over her frame as she makes her way toward me. As I realise she has addressed me, I notice the absence of a servant.

"I am sorry to be so rude, but...I seem to have gotten myself lost," Mithian explains. She looks around for a moment, an embarrassed smile on her lips.

I can't help but smile warmly, the girl having a strangely caring and friendly aura. "Not at all, M'lady", I offer, giving her a bow. "To where is it you are wishing to find?"

Mithian's embarrassed smile turns into a natural glow, her loving nature beaming through her. It overpowers me, and I can't help but smile widely back, my cheeks hurting from the tension.

"I simply wish to find the Hall...that is where the feast will take place, no?" Mithian questions.

"Yes, but...forgive me for the asking, shouldn't Arthur-uh-The King, be escorting you?" I ask, already planning a lecture to Arthur on treating a Princess when asking for her hand in marriage.

Mithian shakes her head. "Well, yes, but I have requested to meet My Lord at the feast...I am embarrassed to admit. I enjoy my own company sometimes."

Her words correlate with much that I understand myself. This almost immediately makes me like her so much more. There is no way possible to not like this princess. I can already tell that she has a heart of gold and kindness like no other. Already I find myself won over, which I wasn't going to allow myself yet.

"No need to be embarrassed. I'm headed to the hall by myself as well," I assure, gesturing down the hall. "I could take you there if you'd like?"

"Thank you very much", Mithian beams, taking another step to join me in our walk to the hall. "I don't believe we've met officially. I'm Mithian", she offers, holding out her hand to me.

We stroll down the hallways in pursuit of the hall. I take her hand and nod. "I'm Edythe."

"Edythe?" she repeats, a shock spreading across her face. "You're Arthur's long-lost sister."

I chuckle under my breath. "Yep, that's me."

"Please accept my apologies. I had no idea."

This causes me to chuckle some more, never liking when people begin talking to me as if I'm a royal. I found out I'm related to one, that doesn't make me one of them. "Please, don't apologise. I wouldn't have told you that I was."

"Because you do not wish to be royal?" She asks, gaining a confused glance from me. "We've heard about you, is all. There's not much but rumours. I can only presume you haven't lived in Camelot for long."

"No, I haven't. And no, I do not wish to be royal," I admit.

We turn down another stone hallway. "It must be lovely, though. Finding your family," Mithian wonders, looking to me with bright, curious eyes.

"I suppose it is."

"Have you and Arthur become close?" Mithian asks.

If it were anyone else being so nosey with my life, I would give them a good reason to shut the hell up. But because it's Mithian, I don't want to hurt Arthur in any way. I know she is just curious and young, that I can tell. I imagine she's only trying to understand the life she will soon be living. To get to know everything about her future husband.

"I would like to think so", I answer truthfully. "I can tell he's already taken a shining to you."

"You think so?"

I smirk. "Oh, trust me, he has."

Mithian blushes red, her face still just as beautiful with the red splotches, if not more. "I wasn't too sure I wanted to get married just yet", Mithian admits. "I've been worried ever since my Father had told me I was betrothed to Arthur Pendragon. I don't want to let my Father down...I want to make this marriage work for both our kingdoms. Save both from an unnecessary war."

I frowned, surprised that the princess would be so open with a woman she had only just met. I find myself respecting the princess. Most women of her status spend their whole lives dreaming about the day of their wedding. Yet here, Mithian is only choosing to marry because she wishes to make her father proud and save the people of both Kingdoms a war. I respect that, believing that we need more women to be strong and worthy of leadership.

"You have a firm head on your shoulders", I comment, looking at the young woman over. "There's no need to be worried. Arthur is a great king and will be a fine husband. You're very heroic for choosing so. You're Father will be proud no matter what."

As soon as I say the words, I feel a wave of emotion. I'm guilty of urging a girl to marry Arthur when there is a woman out there who should be in her place. My friend. I'm hurting Gwen by simply being okay with Mithian marrying Arthur. Then there is my comment about her father being proud. How am I to know if that is true?

I never knew my own, and the one I did have never sort to place such burdens upon me. How am I one to judge that?

"Thank you for your kind words, Edythe", Mithian acknowledges.

I didn't even realise that we had reached our destination, my mind wondering about Gwen. Her lingering presence has left me in a bad mood for socialising or being in a room full of people.

"I hope we will have the chance to speak some more?" Mithian requests, turning to face me.

I catch Arthur's eyes from across the room, a bright smile on his face at seeing our association. Seeing Arthur reminds me that I need to accept that Gwen is in the past, that Mithian is Camelot's future queen. This will make him happy, so I will not ruin it.

I force a smile. "Of course. You have a good night, Princess" I bow.

I try to stay present in the room, my mind else, whereas everyone celebrates Mithian's arrival. I can't help but stare at Arthur and Mithian, the two getting along fine. The two have chemistry. It makes me thrilled to see Arthur as himself again. The King has been hiding behind his authority for so long. I know that I'll get used to the couple, and once I talk with Mithian more, I'll grow to forget that Gwen had left an emptiness.

I am disappointed in myself for losing my strong will to accept this marriage. I hate that I was defending Arthur's choices to Merlin earlier, only to argue with myself over precisely what I defended.

"If you squeeze that chalice anymore, it'll burst", Gwaine observes.

His words pull me from my staring. I look at the knight, confused, Gwaine gesturing to my hand. I look down, finding my knuckles are turning white with tension as I grasp onto my chalice of wine intensely. I release my grip, knuckles hurting as I stretch them out for what must be the first time in an hour or so.

Gwaine nudges my shoulder. "Okay, what's got you in a fuss?"

"I'm not in a fuss", I protest, bringing the wine to my lips.

"Mhm, that's what a pissed off woman would say", Gwaine argues, taking a swig of his ale. He glances over at me, holding back a smirk. I give the knight daggers. "hey, I was just saying," he defends, holding up his arms in defeat.

I ignore Gwaine, turning back to the meal in front of me. I forgot to eat my food whilst I was lost in my trance.

"Oh come on, E", Gwaine whines, putting his ale down to place an arm over my shoulders. I narrow my eyes at using his painful nickname that he has taken to calling me. "I was just playin'."

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, I know."

"So seriously. What is it?"

"What's what?"

"Edythe", Gwaine presses ", something is wrong, tell me."

I groan like a child told off, "Can we please drop it, Gwaine? I'm not in the mood."

Gwaine sighs, leaving his arm around my shoulders. "Okay. But if I'm dropping it, you have to participate in socialising."

I shoot the knight another glare. "You are painful", I groan, leaning forward to start eating the food I have neglected to touch.

Gwaine chuckles, removing his arm from my shoulders to also eat more of the spread. "So I was thinking-"

"Oh no, that's never good", I tease, a smirk growing on my lips.

"Ha-ha", Gwaine sasses ", as I was saying. We should do something."

I raise an eyebrow. "Such as?"

"I don't know, a ride in the woods? Maybe a picnic, maybe both?" Gwaine offers, beginning to fill his plate once more. His belt will for sure be holding on for dear life by the end of the night.

I cackle. "You're not a picnic kind of guy Gwaine."

"You don't know that. Maybe I could be!" Gwaine protests, "but if a picnic isn't what you're into, we could do something else."

I chuckle under my breath. "Why is it so important to you that we go out into the forest anyway?"

Gwaine shrugs. "I don't know...I guess it'd be nice just to have a relaxing day with a close friend...but if you don't want to do that, it's fine. I'll just go by myself."

"Oh, come one, that's not fair!" I groan "don't guilt trip me!"

"It's not against the law."

"I'll think about it", I mumble, not liking that Gwaine is using the whole friend guilt trip to make me come on a date with him. Yes, I'm not stupid. I know that's what he sees it as. I've taken notice that Gwaine has been more suggestive of late than what he once was...and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

"Good", Gwaine smiles, feeling as if he's accomplished something by making me just think over the idea.

The night continues, getting louder with people drinking and dessert soon being served. I soon get a headache, deciding I must get some fresh air. As I slip away from the crowd, the thought of the stars and moon fill my mind. It gives me an eager excitement to look upon the roof that had been over my head for so long.

It doesn't take long before I reach the royal gardens, taking in a deep breath as the voices become a distant murmur. My head almost clears straight away. The cold wind bites against my skin, but I invite the feeling, missing the freedom of nature.

As I look up, I catch sight of a small stone ledge on the wall, the childish idea sparking in my mind, bringing a smirk to my lips. I pull off my shoes, sitting them against the stone wall. I look up at the stone structure once more, finding sturdy places to hold onto before wiping my hands on my dress. I hold onto the stone tightly before heaving myself off the ground.

At first, the movement feels awkward, restricted by my unused limbs. But much like a sixth sense, my muscles soon realise what I am doing. I find climbing the wall easy once again. The freedom of giving into old habits brings a genuine laugh of excitement to escape my lips.

I reach the ledge, pulling myself to a sitting position, breathing heavy. A bead of sweat covers my body, but still, I giggle to myself, looking up at the lit sky above. With all attending the feast, I feel like I'm alone—no one but my spirit within me sitting under the moonlight, on the dark covered world below.

Although I can't technically feel the light hit my skin, it almost feels like it could. The moon has been absent from my life these days, most of my duties spent inside the castle. When I first arrived, I wasn't going to allow myself to become so disconnected from the world outside. Somehow Camelot has made it so easy to do just that.

My eyes fall to the ground below and then to the dimly lit hallway. As soon as he exits the castle, I notice his figure, my observant and cautious nature always alert. He doesn't see me, the darkness being a perfect cover if I wanted to go unnoticed. Leon's brown locks glow in the faint distant light of torches, alerting me to who my company is.

"Hey, there stranger", I greet, swaying my legs over the edge of the stone structure.

Leon turns, confused as his eyes hunt for the source. His eyes eventually fall on my figure seated above the ground on the castle wall. A smile grows on his face. "Edythe? What are you doing out here?"

"Was a bit loud in there", I offer, a warm smile on my lips as I gesture with my left shoulder. "What about you, Sir Knight?"

"Needed some fresh air", Leon replies, hands resting on his belt. We both pause for a moment, eyes still locked as we both awkwardly try to search for a conversation starter.

I've found this to be a common reoccurrence between us. Despite his easy-going nature, I've been having trouble talking with Leon. Not because I dislike him. I'm pretty unsure why that is. It's a strange relationship I've never had before, yet it's not unpleasant. I often can't wait for our conversations.

"Princess Mithian is proving to be quite good for Arthur", Leon comments, distant as he speaks, unsure.

"Yes...she is", I agree in a whisper, head now hung low with the reminder.

"You disagree?"

Realising I may have given the wrong impression, I quickly backtrack. "No! Not at all. I like Mithian...I just..." my mind wanders back to Gwen and how much I miss her. How I wish I had the power to undo what Morgana has done. I shake my head, trying to ban the thoughts, not wanting to get angry again. After all, I did come out here to clear my head. "I shouldn't talk about it."

"I understand", Leon offers with a sad smile.

Silence falls between the two of us once more. Only the distant murmur of the dinner party floods the castle's halls. I decide to climb down from my ledge, knowing that I can't stay here forever. No matter how much, I'd rather just stay out in the moonlit garden. I dangle from the ledge for a moment, my muscles protesting the weight, only reminding me of how long it's been since I did something like this.

I drop, landing on my feet, giving me satisfaction that I haven't completely lost all my talents. I brush off the dress, turning to face Leon. I was surprised to find he was in motion to catch me if I were to fall. I see a small glimpse of this as he straightens himself, a little embarrassment forming from the gesture.

A smile creeps onto my lips without my consent. The uncontrollable smirk slightly annoys me because I have no control over it. I contain myself, repositioning parts of the dress as it shuffled enough to be uncomfortable.

"You're still getting used to our customs?" Leon observes.

I giggle as I play with the hem of my dress. "When will I ever grow accustomed?"

The warm smile returns to the knight's handsome features. "One day, you won't even notice you have. It will seem natural."

"Well, until that day comes, I'll be the one sneaking away from events to stargaze and fuss over dresses. Who knows, maybe, one day I'll be what society considers lady-like," I wonder, turning to pick up my shoes. I'm still not entirely ready to put them back on. "But not today, or tomorrow even. Maybe the next, but we'll just have to wait and see."

With my shoes in possession, I walk past Leon to sit on a bench engulfed in the moonlight. Leon follows behind me, listening contently with a smirk as I ramble about many possibilities of the future. I take a seat on the stone bench, patting the spot next to me as a gesture to Leon to sit. He doesn't hesitate, taking place next to me. I find myself looking up at the moon once again, not sure I'll ever be able to let go of the life I had once lived truly. No matter how much I've grown to love Camelot.

I sigh, breathing in the night. "You know. I like times like these. It's so peaceful."

"The night sky is very beautiful."

"Do you ever like to gaze at the stars?" I ask, now watching Leon as he looks to the sky for only a moment.

His eyes fall back on me. "When I'm given orders that require me to leave Camelot, I look up at the stars when I can't sleep. They're kind of comforting...a reminder that home is waiting under the same stars."

Leon's words touch me, almost making me gasp as I relate to what he says. Although I've never really had much of a home until Camelot, the starlit night sky was my comfort, my home. Whenever I miss the road, I look to the sky and feel comforted again.

I look to the stars once more, feeling as if Leon's eyes are burning into me. "I learnt many different beliefs when I was with the druids. One I heard was that stars...they're like pockets of knowledge. They've watched over the world for thousands of years, observing and recording the history." My mind wanders back to when I was younger and the stories I was told.

"It's believed that those of us gifted with the magic can hear their distant whispers. But only a few of us, those of us with souls pure, can hear what they say."

Leon hangs off my every word, seemingly lost in the world and picture I create. He seems mesmerised by my words, adoringly looking up to the sky. I would have thought I would have lost him when I spoke of magic, but that seems only to have fascinated him more about the unknown world above us.

"Kind of silly when you think about it", I chuckle under my breath. That's probably one of the only things I've ever truly believed in that the druids have told me, but I don't want to admit that.

With learning about Merlin's magic, I've found myself thinking back to simpler times when I was a child. The things that I had learnt and the beliefs.

"Not at all", Leon offers ", you had me taken."

The both of us lightly chuckle, my gaze falling to my hands in my lap. "It feels like a lifetime ago I was told that...like a lot of other things."

"Do you miss living with the druids?"

"Sometimes..." I answer honestly, "but then I wouldn't have met or found out about my past, about Arthur. I wouldn't have met anyone here in Camelot. I wouldn't have met Gaius. Gwaine. You."

We both share a smile.

"I respect the druids, but I could never give my life to Gods I don't truly believe in. Or wait around for a powerful sorcerer to bring magic back to the lands when he may not even exist...." A chuckle escapes me as I now realise that the warlock I speak of is real. He is a good friend of mine.

"It's strange", Leon admits, eyes narrowing.

"What is?"

"Hearing of other beliefs", Leon explains, "I've always been taught to fear magic. I've fought against it most of my time being a knight. As I'm sure I will many times again...but now listening to you speak of magic with such honesty and passion, it makes me wonder...." Leon pauses for a moment, trying to find the right words.

"Wonder what?" I whisper, waiting for his response, intrigued.

"If I fight so hard for my beliefs...is it so bad that another would do the same?" Leon questions, eyes lost in thought.

I nod, understanding his words. To fight for one's belief is to fight for your life, especially for the people of magic. Their lives are literally on the line. Leon and many of the knights of Camelot have fought against magic. They have been told it is evil for most of their knighthood. I understand both opposing views, yet I don't agree with either.

"I wouldn't want Arthur to hear me say that", Leon admits, head hung low, ashamed for even thinking in such a wise manner. "Uther's death has never fully healed, magic having left that wound open."

"I understand", I whisper, looking into the darkly lit garden. "I've never seen this side of you, Leon", I admit. "I like it."

A shy smile creeps onto Leon's lips. "Sorry", he apologises.

"Why would you apologise for that?" I giggle.

"I'm not sure", Leon admits, looking at the ground in amusement.

Our attention is turned to the castle, a giggling couple making their way back toward their chambers. The two are intoxicated, howling in laughter and chatter as they pass by. This reminds us of the feast taking place back inside the hall, both of us letting out an audible sigh in union. This causes us to both chuckle in amusement.

"I shouldn't keep you any longer", Leon offers, standing from the stone seat, extending his hand out to me.

I smirk, taking the knight's hand and standing. "I'm sure I was the one keeping you", I defend, brushing my dress off once more.

Leon smiles softly. "Not at all. I enjoyed it quite a lot."

My smirk widens, a noticeable heat rising to my cheeks, though I couldn't say why. "I did too."

"Then perhaps we can schedule another time", Leon offers. "After all, you do still owe me a training session."

I chuckle at the memory, having completely forgotten when I offered Leon some training field advice. That seems like years ago now.

"So it appears I do", I agree "...I look forward to it."

I'm taken aback as Leon bows to me suddenly. "Until then, your majesty," he smirks, knowing I hate the formal terminology with a passion.

I roll my eyes, beginning to walk toward the Castle once more. "Be careful, Sir Knight. I wouldn't want to put you in your place on the training field."

"Is that a threat?" Leon calls after me, remaining in the distance.

"Take it as you will", I smirk, hand brushing against the stone as I round the corner, disappearing into the lit stone hallways.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.3K 506 15
The mythical city of Camelot, in a time before history began. A fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious peoples. A dangerous worlds in w...
6.5K 241 22
Emrys has always known that it is her destiny to turn the spoiled Prince Arthur Pendragon into the greatest king Camelot has known since magic was ex...
6.5K 191 15
The second book of Merlynn series sees our hero battle deadly assassins, magical monsters and ever more powerful sorcerers as she strives to fulfill...
1.7K 80 24
"It can't be him! It can't be Ethan!" Follow Merlin as he goes through the troubles of being a prince in hiding. What happens when a letter arrives i...