A Story Of Nightlock.

By slyfox98

A story of how Foxface, a tribute from District Five of Panem, survives until the final five of The Hunger Ga... More

Part 1 - A Tribute in Training.
Part 2 - Chariot Ride
Part 3 - Interviews
Part 4 - Pre-Games
Part 5 - Bloodbath
Part 6 - Surviving.
Part 7 - The Girl on Fire is Burnt.
Part 8 - The Boy from District 11.
Part 10 - The Feast
Part 11- Alone
Part 12 - A Choice
Part 13 - Foxface's Poem

Part 9 - The Cornucopia

535 23 7
By slyfox98

A light breeze whisps past me, forcing me to open my eyes. A wrenching pain seizes through my arm, and I automatically know that I'm in trouble.

Instead of opening my eyes my lips part, though dry and cracked, and my voice comes out in a harsh tone as my throat burns with pain. It's ok, though. I only want to say one thing before I die.

"Thresh?" I croak, and my eyes flutter open.

I can see a shadow before me. I know it's Thresh, because of the figure, even though my eyesight is blurred.

"Finch," he whispers, coming closer.

"You're ok. You're fine..." Thresh's voice was dancing away from my ears, and I strained to stay consious.

"Where..?"

"You were only stung by three tracker jackers. I don't know how to heal the wounds... I... I'm sorry." The desperation in Thresh's voice made me flinch. It made me upset that he sounded so defeated.

I force myself to sit up, for Thresh's sake. My shoulder is weak, and I press my back against a cool, damp wall, feeling as if I'm going to vomit and faint at the same time. The cave, at the same time is comforting. It feels a little like home.

"I carried you back here. But I couldn't get most of the supplies, there wasn't enough time. I managed to pick up my bag, the fishing net and you. But nothing else. Nothing else."

Tears fill my eyes; wavering, waiting to be spilled onto my cheeks. I hold them in, though, not wanting Thresh to know that I too, was in despair. I want to cuddle up next to him, and as I move my ankle, a searing pain bolts through my leg up to my chest and I help, the tears now sqeezing through my eyes.

I look down to my leg, and remember the horror of what had happened what seemed like years ago. The knife that I had tripped over had been taken out of my foot, but a deadly cut remained, scabbed and bloody, a ring of purple and black bruises around it.

"T-Thresh!" I start to panic now, because I know that if I can't run in the arena, I will have no chance of surviving.

"I'm so sorry, Finch," Thresh cries.

"I took out the blade, but I couldn't heal the wound."

I wrench my head back in agony, feeling small trickles of water down my face from the cave's walls. I realise this is my fault. I shouldn't have snuck into the Career's supplies. This never would have happened. Thresh can't save me. I may as well be dead already.

A thought strikes in my head.

"Thresh," my voice quavers, barely under a whisper.

"Thresh, you have to do it. I'm no use to you any longer. I can't run, I can't do anything to help you any longer."

I can see Thresh's warm, brown eyes widen as he realises what I'm asking.

"No. No, no, no. Godammit! Why?!" Thresh slams his wrist into the rocky cave walls, and a sprinkle of dust falls onto my nose.

"Thresh, make it quick. This had to happen sooner or later. Do it. Now!"

What felt like extreme tension ended in about five seconds. A silver parachute drifts through the cave enterance and arrives at my feet. An unknown warmth spreads through me.

"Is that..? Thresh whispers.

I can barely even hold in my shock; I have sponsors? I have sponsors!

I open the tiny object that the parachute is holding. The first thing I acknowledge is the smell; it smells of cherries and reminds me of home, and I suddenly remember how once I had snuck a cherry from my mum's power plant. I press a finger to the gooey substance, and I feel that it's warm.

 A small note is attatched to the parachute. I pick it up with trembling hands and read it ;

DON'T DIE FOR ANYONE.

I know that it's from my mentor, Alius. Maybe he is trying to help me afterall. I spread some of the medicine on my heel and on my shoulder. I sigh in relief. The pain has almost vanished.

"Ok, Thresh. Looks like I've still got a bit of life in me. How many days have I been here? How many deaths has there been?"

"You've been unconsious for three days," Thresh says, almost immediately.

"The girl from District One and Four have both died. I don't know what has happened to the other Career's or Katniss."

"Ok." I sigh, and brace myself for my next question.

"Thresh... How much food have we actaully managed to save?"

Guilt spreads over the boy from 11's face.

"Almost nothing. A packed of barley sugar."

I can feel the dissapointment in my face, but quickly lighten up.

"You said before that you rescued the fishing net, right? Well, once the medicine kicks in, we could both go to the lake near the Cornucopia and fish there."

"Not a good idea," Thresh says.

"These games are worth the risk Thresh," I say.

"Without risk, I'd certainly be dead by now."

                                                                                  *****

The cut in my foot has been reduced to almost nothing; a scar. The tracker jacker mark has also vanished. The pain in my back is gone, though memories of my hallucinations still linger close. Tonight we need water. We've decided that for sure. Thresh insists that we follow the lake a bit further on, just in case the Careers come. I think he's just a bit of a worry wart, but I agreed.

The day is warm and sunny ( as the game-makers planned it ) and I sit wading in the small pond near our hideout. Sure, it's quite filthy, but it's my first shower in ages. Thresh fleft his iodine in my pack, which is beyond our clutches. So we are forced to move on.

The sun is setting, and my stomach growls. I tell myself to be patient, to wait. Food will be coming tomorrow, when I steal from the Cornucopia once more.

I wonder when I last had a hot meal. Was it at the Capitol? I think so. We seldom had hot meals in District 5. We were given cans of corn and peas from the peace keepers. And me, who was often in the streets because of my lack of finance, was given almost nothing. Only the 'rich' people in out district could buy sweets and such.

I firm hand touches me on my shoulder; as a reaction from my past, I flinch, but look behind me.

"It's time," Thresh says, his warm eyes locked into mine.

I drag my feet out of the water, roll down the leg of my trousers and tie up my boots. Thresh holds my hand as we sneak away from the field.

We make our way quietly down the hill, where the Cornucopia still gleams in the little sunlight we have. I can see small figures next to a fire, the Careers. They're bodies are slumped and I can see Clove throwing one of her knives at an animal in a tree, probably a bird.

I am reassured that the Careers arent paying much attention to their surroundings.

I let go of Thresh's hand as we break through the forest. I have told him in every way possible how to stay quiet, and order him to follow me from a ten metre distance as a precaution. The river lies a few metres ahead, and I quicken my pace.

As I reach the gleaming surface of the water, I shudder as my tracker jacker hallucinations come back to me. Not five minutes later, I sense Thresh coming up behind me and keep walking west.

I can't see anything here but trees and greenery, even though the light has faded. I feel uncomfortable. I don't know these woods.

I almost jump out of my skin as I hear the anthem playing in the sky. The Capitol's seal shines brightly, recording the deaths of today.

"Quick," I hiss to Thresh. We do not want the sound of water to travel across this land mass.

Thresh unscrews his flask while the anthem is playing, and thrusts it underwater. Unfortunately, this is the only device we have for storing water, as Thresh was unable to save my pack which held a two litre water bottle.

One picture is displayed in the sky tonight; the girl from District 10. I've seen her in training, she had no special skills that I could see. To me, she was pretty useless. I guess she proved me wrong, she's been lucky to survive for this long.

The anthem plays one last time, which Thresh uses as an excuse to haul the fishing net from his pack and place it gently in the water. We will wait until dawn to see if any fish will be caught.

The Capitols seal dissapears from the night sky, leaving a deadly silence in the air.

I sit down on the cold earth, holding my head in my hands.

"Now we wait." Says Thresh.

"Now we wait," I repeat, though interrupted by a soft splashing sound. My eyes widen.

"Really, already?" I ask, sounding a little giddy.

"Wow, that was quick. Maybe the odds are in our favour." Thresh says, leaning over to look at our prize.

Splash! A huge wave of water hits Thresh in the face, and he falls backwards, squinting the liquid out of his face.

"Thresh!" I whisper harshly.

"Thresh, are you ok?"

He sits up, blinking. 

"I'm fine. What was that thing?"

"A big fish?" I suggest. I turn my head back to the pond, and look over the surface. I can't see anything, it's too dark. I start to crawl to the edge of the pond, my fingernails caked with mud. My head lingers over the shallow surface of the water, and I can see my own shimmering reflection.

Small, blue fluorescent birds flutter toward the water, dive into it to take a beak-full of clear water and quickly flit up into the sky again. I smile. Maybe there was joy in pain. 

My vision returns to the tree line, where a pair of yellow eyes stare back at me. I peer closer, and my foot snaps a tree branch; the sound echoing off the many trees in the forest.

Don't scream, don't I scream. Don't scream.  It was a mutation. I could feel the cameras on me, and almost hear the intense laughter of the Capitol audience. I didn't stand a chance.

"Thresh, run!" 

A low group emerges from it's throat. The silhouette walks dangerously into the moonlight, broad shoulders rolling in a fluid motion, brown fur covering it's back and snout. A bear.

Suddenly, the bear charges, splashing into the water, square teeth sharpening like a vampire's, until they glisten in saliva to it's jaw. It's claws extend like glass knives.

"Oh..." I had no words. But something told me to run. I run blindly through the forest, the heat of the mutts fire breathing down my neck. I turn back to see where Thresh is, but that was a mistake. 

The bear runs full pelt after me, snorting rotten breath from its mouth, each step a pound against the damp earth.

I start to scream. 

The long, metal spikes emerge as teeth from the mutts mouth, pointing towards me. Is this the way I was going to die? I've lasted this long!

My feet are suddenly released from being paralysed, and I begin to run. After I place my left foot on the ground, a root is placed over my foot and I fall on my face, the fangs pressing further into my jaw.

"Thresh!" I scream, tears pouring down my eyes.

I hear a roar, turn my head, and see red, silver, and a flicker of my own death. I close my eyes, waiting for the end, but it doesn't come. I open one eye, and see Thresh standing triumphantly, a huge stone in hand.

"Thresh!" I cry, now to startled to do anything. I manange to untangle myself from my prison and run to the boy from District 11, giving him a hug as the tears pour down my eyes. 

Thresh grabs my arm, and pulls me away from him, looking into my eyes; although probably red and puffy from crying.

"Finch, we need to leave, now. The Careers would have heard everything." I nod, and we break off in a run, just as the sun starts to rise.

*****

I don't feel any safer back in the cave than I did during last nights events. My stomach growls more than often, and my tongue and throat are parched, even though we gained a little water at the pond last night. We need food today. And were going to get it.

I place my hands on my hips, looking at Thresh. I need to persuade him.

"Alright," he says.

"But there's something I need to tell you first." I can feel myself frowning. Thresh always tells me everything. What is he hiding?

"What?" I say, feeling a little out of my comfort zone.

"Last night we left the net, so there's no way we can fish again-"

"It's ok, that wasn't your fault." I cut him off, but he just keeps talking.

"I went back for it this morning, while you were still asleep, and it was gone. Do you know what that means?"

"The Careers," I whisper. Thresh nods.

"They have it now. We have to be much more careful. Oh, and one more thing. The little girl from my district, you know, Rue, I think she's in an alliance with twelve.

My eyebrows arch.

"How do you know?"

"I saw them. But only a glimpse to know that they're up to something today, Finch. Be extra careful."

"I will." I promise. 

As I make my way towards the forest, I make sure that I stay hidden between thick trees and scrub. Thresh is waiting at the edge of the field, so that we can run back to our hideout together. He's just too noisy to come with me.

In no time, I find the Cornucopia's whereabouts and crouch silently behind a bush.

I look left and right, and wonder how I'm going to do this without the Careers seeing me. There's still five of them. At least one is bound to see me. And then I'll be done for. And if there's one thing  I don't want in these games, it's a painful death. I'm about to give up when I, and the Careers, see a collumn of grey smoke rising to the sky.

Immediately I know that this isn't a mistake made by a dumb tribute. This has got to do with Rue and Katniss. Thresh was right.

I focus back on the situation, and see that the Careers have left the boy from District 3 to keep watch. He looks as bored as ever, and faces the opposite direction as me, again, only holding a spear that belongs to the boy from District 1. I doubt this boy even knows how to use it. And if he did,  would he use it?

I get up, and start sprinting towards the supplies.

Left, right, left, left, centre, hop.

I breathe hard, my heart is beating at a rapid pace, giving me the adrenalin that I need. 

I climb two boxes on the pyramid, grab a plastic bag full of food, and make myself stop for a second. 

I wipe the sweat off my forehead, and tuck a little bit of my loose hair behind my ear. I look frantically for a drink bottle, and find one. It's a little above my reach. If I could just... I stretch out my armas far as I can. The pain is excruciating. It feels as if the joint is going to dislocate. 

I need to adjust the pressure on my left foot, so I move it an inch... my heart stops when the pan falls. Bile rises to my throat and I start to feel nauseus. I quickly abondon the idea of the drink bottle, step down from the supplies, and run. The boy from 3 isn't looking at this stage, so I use all my will power and sprint towards the edge of the forest. 

The boy from district three turns around just in time to see me run off. I can see it out of the corner of my eye,but I don't think he's sure to whether he saw me or not. I think he's following me, so I just keep running, he will never catch me. 

As soon as I think I'm going to pass out from exhaustion, I hear a massive 'BOOM,' from behind me.  I turn around, my red mane of hair whipping my eyes. As tired as I am, I know I have to go back. Something big has happened, and I know that it has to do with Katniss. 

I run back to the Career's supplies, only when I reach it, the pyramid is gone. Only a pile of ash and metal is left. 

I can feel myself starting to smile. She blew it all up. Katniss Everdeen, The Girl on Fire!

I might actually have a chance now, in these games. The Careers... they can't hunt. They won't have any food. I could actually be crowned Victor!

I start to laugh in a giddy madness, dancing in the ash the falls from the sky. I start to rummage through the burnt supplies, and feel something poke my finger, which starts to bleed. I realise I have found one of Clove's throwing knives, which can be used for hunting. 

Near the knife, I find a metal pot, the one that I knocked over before. I hold these possesions in my hands, laughing, and crying for joy.

I see Katniss Everdeen a few metres away, watching me, and I whisper a thank you to her, because she has just increased my chances of winning. 

I run back to the fields.

                                                                                      ***** 

Thresh was ecstatic over what we had gained. But we still need water. Were in desperate need of some iodine, or some protective devices if we were to go back to the river, where the muttations lie. At the moment we are coping by drinking small handfulls of dirty water from the creek, knowing it comes with a risk. But starvation also comes with a risk, and so does lack of water. These games come with a risk.

I lie with Thresh, looking up at the starry night sky, his arm serving as a pillow behind my head as we nibble on a piece of bark.

The Capitols seal appears in the sky, and the anthem plays.

The first face shown in the sky is the boy from District 1. This surprised me; he was a Career, they usually got to the end. I look over at Thresh, and see that he too looks confused.

The second picture shown is that of the boy from District 3.

"He must have been killed by Cato," I say.

"He probably got blamed for letting the supplies get blown up."

I didn't think another image would be shown, but there was, and it shocked me.

Rue. The small, intelligent girl from District 11. Her gaze lingers in the night sky, and I feel Thresh tense.

Her image dissolves from the sky and Thresh gets up. I sit and look up at him.

"Oh, Thresh, I'm sorry,"

Thresh seems to try and take this in, the tears swelling in his bloodshot eyes.

"She was just a kid." He says, forcing the words between his teeth.

I get up, making to hug him, but he wrestles himself free of my grasp and punches the cave wall with such a force, leaving a small dint.

"Thresh, I'm really sorry."

The tears are pouring down his cheeks now, and I know that he must have cared for this little girl more than I knew.

"Whoever did this... the Careers.... They're going to pay for it. I'm going to kill them!"

I try and soothe Thresh, rubbing my hand along his tanned, muscular arms, but I know that nothing will work.

"Come on, Thresh. You have to go to sleep. I'll stay watch." I say.

"No. I - I need some time to let this sink in. You sleep."

I lie down, and let myself be submerged into the innocent world of dreams.

A boy, the one from District 1, stands at the creek, holding the fishing net that Thresh and I stupidly left behind a few nights ago. The dream is occuring in flashes, so it's hard to figure out what's happening. The boy is smiling, shouting for his friends to come and see what he has gained.

The scene changes.

Rue, the little girl from 11, stands at a pile of greenery with a tree branch and other fire making instruments, as if trying to make a signal. Before she can light the fire, however, a fishing net drops over her head. She's in shock; and starts to scream.

The scene changes once more, and Rue is lying in a dense forest of moss and plants, hopelessly tangled in the net, screaming, praying that her ally would come and find her.

Like shards of a mirror being smashed, Katniss runs into the dream in flashes, freeing her ally from her prison. The next few scenes come in flashes too fast for me to understand.

Spear, arrow, blood, death.

I wake up gasping for air. I turn around, wiping the sweat off my face. Thresh has fallen asleep, his cheeks red and puffy.

I turn my head back around, and put it in my hands, trying to think.

But I already know a terrrible thing. The thing that Rue, the little girl from District 11, Thresh's district partner, has died because of our terrible mistake. Her death is our fault.

*****

Authors Note:

Please comment for this chapter, and vote if you wish! Thank you, SlyFox98 signing off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91K 1.9K 35
And that was the thing about her, she kept on surviving. With bullet holes in her lungs and knife marks etched in her back. She never let anything ge...
127K 2.5K 32
(After Catching Fire) -A Katniss and Finnick Fan Fiction- Katniss is taken out of the games and everything is chaos. With only her and Finnick as th...
1.2K 63 46
Do you know the real story about District 13? How it was still around after the Dark Days when the Capitol regained control. How it became a contende...
57.2K 905 18
Marin Odair, the younger sister of the renowned Victor Finnick Odair, finds herself thrust into the perilous world of the 74th Hunger Games. Tasked w...