How I Met You

By modernism

"Hey." It all started with that three lettered word in a mysterious text from an unknown California... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six Teaser
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine

Chapter Fifteen

50K 1.3K 327
By modernism

 PLEASE READ A/N AT THE END! THERE IS A KIND OF COMPETITION THING!

I freaking love you guys :D I have 5,000+ reads now. The answer to the last riddle was RIVER (not Edward from Twilight. You know who you are! Haha) A lot of you got it right! New riddle:

Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?

 -Chapter Fifteen-

And that’s when I started hyperventilating. Six miles away? That close? How is this even possible? I can’t believe he lives six miles away.

Okay, so I met a guy who lives in California. I live in Florida. He lives six miles away from where I’ll be staying for three months.

And I thought the chances were small.

“Alex? Are you—” I couldn’t hear Jake anymore. Number one, I was in too much shock. Number two, I dropped my phone on my lap.

“Alex what are doing?” Danielle asked, coming up from behind me. “Are you okay? Why are you breathing like that? What—”

“Six miles away. . .” I whispered. It was as silent as a thought, though.

“What are you saying? I can’t hear you, A. Speak up, or I’ll smack you.”

“Jake lives six miles away,” I drawled.

Danielle stopped talking and went silent. “Six miles away? That close!? Oh my gosh, that means we can meet him! And you said the chances were so small! Alex!”

I stopped breathing completely when she said that we could meet him. I wasn’t ready to meet Jake. How could Danielle?

Of course I want to, but I’m not ready!

A humming sound came from my lap. Jake. My eyes went wide as I picked up the phone quickly. Damn it, he heard all of that, didn’t he?

I put the phone up to my ear, and talked into the speaker. “By any chance, did you happen to hear any of that?”

“What, you mean Danielle squealing like some crazy fan girl, and that abnormally loud breathing?” he asked. “Yep! I heard everything from ‘six miles’ to ‘the chances were so small.’”

I inwardly groaned. Next time, I’ll hang up or something. I laughed nervously, “Okay, then. . . Er. . . So you live six miles away?”

My palms began to sweat. Ugh, I’m getting nervous. Let’s try to not breathe abnormally this time, Alex. Keep it calm and collected. . .

“Yeah, I do.” Jake hesitated, probably trying to choose his words carefully. “Alex?” he asked.

“Yes?” I replied. If he asks—

“Did you maybe wanna, you know, like meet up somewhere?” he drawled.

Oh, God. He asked. Calm and collected, Alex!

Shakily, I took my left hand and switched my phone to my left ear. “Sure.” I replied. Okay, that’s good enough, I told myself. Short and simple.

“Really?” he asked. Before I could say something sarcastic like ‘no, I just said sure because I hate your guts, and I don’t wanna see that ugly face of yours’, he added, “Okay, then! I’ll pick you up in a few hours then.”

A few hours? As in today!? Oh, God. . .

I nodded in agreement as I replied, “Okay, see you then.”

As soon as I hung up, Danielle bombarded me with questions. “ ‘See you later’!? Alex, are you going to go meet him?”

I stared blankly at her. Eventually, a grin made its way to my face. She smiled widely as her eyes sparkled. “Yes, you are! Oh my gosh, I am definitely coming with you! Alex, I can’t breathe right now! I can’t believe—”

“Danielle, chill! And I don’t think you should come. . .” I hated saying those words. As they escaped my lips, her face fell, and her smile disappeared all within a second.

“Why not?”

“I don’t think he wanted me to bring a friend. . .”

“Aw, Alex! I wanted to see him!” she pleaded. “Please! Pretty please!? With a  cherry on top?”

“Sorry. You can see him when he picks me up, though.”

“When will that be, exactly?” she questioned.

“In a few hours.”

Her smile was back in an instant. “A few hours!? Alex, we have got to get you ready! We have to do your hair, we have to do your makeup, we have to—”

I cut her off. “Are you going to stand there and ramble, or are you going to help me get ready?”

She shut up and scurried off to my three suitcases. Ah, Danielle is going to enjoy this. I, on the other hand. . . Not so much.

* * *

I gazed at my reflection in the mirror that hung on Vicky’s closet door. Vicky and Dani were standing on either side of me grinning from ear to ear.

The first thing they chose for me to wear on this so called “date” as Vicky calls it, was a long red ball gown with six inch heels. What the heck was she thinking!? It’s ninety degrees outside! And why does Vicky even have a big poofy ball gown in the first place!?

The second thing they chose was a pair of grey skinny jeans with a turquoise top to match. Even though it looked really nice, I still wasn’t going to wear skinny jeans in this hot weather.

So instead, the three of us decided on a pair of white shorts and a simple light pink and grey tank top with the words ‘Young, Wild, and Free’ written on it in sparkly letters. I wore this outfit with a pair of grey high heeled boots that stopped just above my ankle. The heel was only about three to four inches, I don’t want to fall on my face.

We all know what happened two years ago when I was wearing my mom’s six inch heels. . . I cringed as I thought back into the past. I ended up having a bloody nose and a black eye. I have no idea how I managed to do that. . .

I smiled into the mirror. This’ll do, I guess.

My hair was fishtail braided to the side, resting on my right shoulder.

Now, all I have to do is wait.

What can I do in the little time left? In fact, I don’t even know how much time I have left. All Jake had said was ‘in a few hours’. Very specific.

It’s been two hours already since he told me that, so he should be here soon, right? Oh, God. What if he sees me and thinks I’m ugly? I mean, I can expect him to since all of his friends are beautiful! Well, not the guys. . .

You get the point.

What if he doesn’t like me though? Then what?

Alex! You need to stop with all these silent questions for goodness sake! I took a seat on Vicky’s bed.

Then the doorbell rang. My breath hitched, and suddenly I became a lot more nervous. He’s here already? What? I'm not ready! I took a deep breath, bracing myself to see Jake.

Danielle’s eyes went wide as she heard the bell. “Alex! He’s here!” Dani hauled me up from where I was seated and dragged me to the front door. I panicked, and the hyperventilating began again.

“Calm yourself, girly!” Danielle told me. “It’s just a guy, no need to worry! Deep breaths. Relax.”

I took a few deep breaths and calmed myself quickly. I placed my hand on the fancy looking doorknob and cracked the door open.

An old lady was standing on the doorstep as she smiled up at me. No, it wasn’t just some random old woman, it was my dear grandmother.

“Alex, look at you! You have grown oh so much. Look at your hair! It is so long now. Oh, dear, why are you dressed like that?” She looked over my outfit disapprovingly. “ You’re not going to a club, are you?” She paused and shook her head. “Kids these days.”

I laughed, a bit relieved when I noticed it was her and not Jake. Although I have to admit, I was also a little disappointed. I got worked up for nothing!

“Grandma, don’t worry, I’m not going to some club. I’m just going out with a friend,” I reassured her. A club? Really, Grandma? I’m not even old enough to get into a club!

“Okay, darling. Don’t let me see you looking all young and pretty-like with those short pants, and low cut tops, kay?” she questioned. I nodded firmly, loving how she referred to my shorts as ‘short pants.’ She gave me a small smile. “Good. Now can you let me in, please?”

I returned her smile, stepping aside. As she walked towards the kitchen where her two daughters would most likely be chatting, I heard her mumble something along the lines of ‘no wonder little girls these days are getting raped.’

My eyes went wide as I chuckled. Old people these days and their awkward conclusions. The wind was blowing through the open door so I closed it.

“That sucks,” Danielle stated from behind me.

“What sucks?”

“That it wasn’t Jake.”

I sighed. “Do you even think he’s going to come?” I asked her as I furrowed my eyebrows.

“Of course he will! He will be here any second, and I guarantee that!”

Danielle was beaming at me as she grinned. Why was she so eager to meet him?

A few moments passed before my phone buzzed in my pocket.

“Almost there ;)”

Of course it was from Jake. I smiled as I replied to him.

“Okay :) And don’t text while driving!”

“Yes, mother. Three more minutes, Alex.”  He said.

Three more minutes!? I rushed to the nearest bathroom and checked my hair and makeup. Okay, I still look good. Don’t freak out too much, Alex. I patted a few loose strands of my blond locks down and smiled at myself in the mirror. The makeup still looked nice and pretty.

Okay, this is good. I’m ready.

A few poses later, three knocks sounded through the house. Jake is here.

I scurried to the front door, almost tripping over my own two feet. I opened the door and didn’t see anything.

“Ahem,” a voice cleared its throat. “Down here.”

I looked down to see two little girls, probably six or seven years old, who were selling Girl Scout cookies. Still no Jake? What the heck!

“Would you like to buy some cookies?” the one on the right with auburn hair asked.

I smiled at the pair. “What kind of cookies are you selling?”

“We only have Do-Si-Dos and Thin Mints left,” the brunette replied.

“How much?”

“Four dollars,” they answered in unison. The two girls seemed jittery at the thought of selling another box of cookies. I remember that feeling when I used to sell cups of lemonade and homemade cookies in my neighborhood.

"I'll have a box of Thin Mints, then." I gave them a five dollar bill, and let them keep the change.

“You’re so nice!” the brunette chirped. “No wonder Boo-Bear talks about her all the time,” she said to the other girl.

Boo-Bear? Who is this so called ‘Boo-Bear’? And why does he talk about me?

“Hey!” someone called from behind the fountain that was placed in the middle of the ‘O’ shaped driveway. “You weren’t supposed to mention me, Olivia!” The guy walked out from his hiding space.

It was Carter. Jake Carter to be specific.

Hewwo!! I absolutely love reading your comments! Some of 'em are really funny xD So for this chappie, you have to (only if you want to) write some kind of joke in your comment! Either that or come up with some kind of nonexistent word =) Like splenderfulicious or something. It can't be a real word! xD Or of course, you can just answer the riddle in the beginning.

1. The best joke gets a dedication, a shout-out, a fan, and ten votes throughout one of your stories.

2. The best nonexistent word gets a shout-out, a fan, and five votes throughout one of your stories.  

3. The first person to guess the riddle gets a fan.

Thirty-five votes and at least ten comments 'til next upload!! 

             ~Storylover11~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.7M 645K 63
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
294K 7.3K 105
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #1- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
535K 48.4K 34
𝙏𝙪𝙣𝙚 𝙠𝙮𝙖 𝙠𝙖𝙧 𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙖 , 𝙈𝙖𝙧 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙢𝙞𝙩 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙃𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞...... ♡ 𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙄 𝘿𝙀𝙀𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙄 ♡ Shashwat Rajva...
53.7K 2.4K 36
ᴅɪᴠᴇʀɢᴇɴᴛ; ᴛᴇɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴅɪꜰꜰᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ᴏʀ ᴅᴇᴠᴇʟᴏᴘ ɪɴ ᴅɪꜰꜰᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ᴅɪʀᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴꜱ.