Habits

By jynxyouowemeyoursoul

Nellie Lovett has always been in love with Benjamin Barker. Though when he returned to Fleet Street after th... More

Silent Demons
Justice
Regrets
Deadly Love
Questions
Really Living
Return
Truth
News
No More Hiding
Mistakes
The Cry Of Demons
Giving Up
The Plan
A Life Together My Pet
Blackpool
Monster
Does It Ever Get Better?
Secrets That Can't Be Told
Not While I'm Around
Free From Fear
Reunited With The Past
Promises
Moving Backwards
Haunted
Dangerous Secrets
Living Life Apart
Changes
Return
Disappearance
Beautiful
The Sea

Leaving It All Behind

238 8 6
By jynxyouowemeyoursoul

John Turpin was no longer missing. The man was found in an alleyway, a gun in his hand and a bullet through his head.  No one suspected a murder, no one could believe anyone would want to kill him. But there was a man, a demon who wanted all the Turpins dead.  They would pay for what the Judge had done to him all those years ago.  Even if he had moved on he wouldn't risk a repeat of the past.

There were two secrets to keep.  Both were kept out of fear of the past.  Nellie worrying that Sweeney would leave her if he found Lucy was alive.  Sweeney scared he would be taken away again but this time from Nellie.  It was getting hard for Eleanore, she always hated keeping things from Sweeney and now that a full week had past she was getting desperate.  Sweeney on the other hand was fine.  He was disappointed at the fact he hadn't found another Turpin yet but he was kept distracted.

The shop was rather busy today but with Toby helping him out it was going quite smoothly.  Sweeney, though he didn't want to, found himself continuously thinking about the woman Nellie had kicked out.  He'd seen her a few times since but didn't dare talk to her.  Whenever he brought up the woman to Nellie she would get worked up and change the subject.  Was she really that worried about her?

Today Sweeney planned to look for her after he closed up the shop though he doubted he would.  For some reason he couldn't push away his guilt and wanted to apologize to her.  Sweeney looked up from the man he was currently shaving.  There were three men left in the room, wasn't horrible.

"Alright sir, you're done," Sweeney said wiping the excess shaving cream from his customers face with the towel he wore on his belt.

The man stood, paying Sweeney and leaving the shop.

——————————————————

Nellie yawned and looked around the room to find Sweeney gone.  Figuring she'd slept late she stood up and left the room confused by the dark house.  She entered the kitchen to see Sweeney sitting at the table.  He held his face in his hand and didn't hear her as she slowly walked towards him.  As she got closer she could her his heavy sobs. Surprised to see him crying she walked closer placing a hand on his shoulder.

Sweeney flinched looking up to see Nellie standing in front of him.  Standing he quickly wiped his face with his sleeve hoping to hide the fact he'd been crying.  For so long he'd been able to keep the vision of him being strong but everything was becoming to much.  Secrets were harder to keep, emotions harder to hide, darkness harder to destroy.  Nellie ran her hand down his arm comfortingly causing him to look at her, his eyes yet again filling with tears.

"Why Nellie? Why do I feel so much guilt? Why did you kick her out? Why is everything so hard? Why is my life so fucked up? Why am I so scared to raise a child? What's wrong with me?"

Nellie broke hearing his choked voice. She couldn't keep the secret anymore, it was tearing her apart.  He needed to know. She didn't know how he'd react but she couldn't watch him fight himself any longer. This wasn't his fault, it was hers.  He needed to know now, no matter what happened.

"Sweeney..." Nellie started, the fears of telling the truth darting into her mind, "I have something to say.  Something about the woman that I kicked out."

Sweeney looked into her eyes but Nellie turned her gaze to the ground not wanting to see his reaction.

"Three years ago, back in London ya asked me a question. Where is Lucy? I told ya she was dead, well I lied..." She looked to just slightly to see Sweeney narrowing his eyes, "Truth is she left, her memories with ya were too painful and she left London hoping they would go away. I never knew where she went, but now I do. I'll leave ya to figure it out..."

Nellie closed her eyes at the sound of the door opening and closing.  When she opened her eyes Sweeney was gone.

——————————————————

Sweeney rushed down the road ignoring the cold whipping his face.  It couldn't be true.  She wasn't Lucy.  She couldn't be.  The wind was harsh.  It howled loudly warning him to turn back but he refused.  He just needed to know, one look, just so he knew.

He broke into a sprint needing to know the truth. As he ran his breathing quickened.  Suddenly everything around him went silent. The wind stopped, nothing moved.  And then it started.  Soft crying. It started quietly but as Sweeney continued forward it grew louder.  It was the crying of a child.

Sweeney knew what lay beyond the shadows of the alleyway ahead of him.  He knew what he would see. He just didn't want to believe it.

No, she's not dead. She can't be. This isn't your fault, its Eleanore's.  You can't blame yourself for her mistakes.

He dared to look. Lucy. The child tight in her arms crying loudly.  He bent down next to her and placed a hand on her arm, it was ice cold.  Sure enough she was dead.

——————————————————

It was still dark when Nellie awoke again.  Soft singing sounded through the open door and she stood wanting to know who it was.  She followed the sound to an empty room.  She could see the outline of Sweeney standing in front of the window.  His singing was quiet but she remembered the song. Something he would hum to himself whenever he was stressed.

"There was a barber and his wife and she was beautiful. A foolish barber and his wife, she was his reason and his life and she was beautiful. And she was virtuous, and he was naïve."  Nellie was about to approach him but he turned, still not seeing her. She then saw he was holding a child.

"But then another woman came, and she was beautiful. A girl he treated like a slave. One that he kicked and pushed away. And she was beautiful. And now he's stuck inside his mind, wishing to leave everything behind."

——————————————————

"Sweeney!" Nellie cried out, only to be interrupted.

"No, Eleanore she's dead because of you. Maybe someday I can forgive you but right now I need space.  I need this. You want me to be a good man but keeping me trapped won't help. I love you but I just need time." Sweeney walked out the door but turned just to say one word, "Goodbye."

The door closed and Eleanore fell to the ground.  Tears flowed down her face.  He was gone, he'd actually left her.  The pain she felt was unbearable. Why did the lie to him? No. Its not your fault. He can't handle leaving you alone, he said it himself, he loves you.  He'll be back, won't he?

James sat in front of the fire taking a small sip of the gin he held. Just about to close his eyes and enjoy a small nap the sound of knocking echoed through the house.  He stood and walked over to the door dragging his feet tiredly.  Pulling open the door he was surprised to see Sweeney in front of him. He was even more surprised to see the child he held in his arms.

"Sorry," James said, realizing Sweeney was wanting to enter the house, "Come on in."

His son hurried in and immediately turned to the living room hushing the child who was crying in his arms.

"May I ask what's going on?" James said following Sweeney.

"Lucy. She's dead. Its Eleanore's fault. I need to leave." Sweeney rushed his eyes full of panic.

"Calm down, tell me the full story."

"Eleanore lied, she told me Lucy was dead so I would move on. Now Lucy truly is dead because of that lie. All I have is my own fucked up mind. I don't know what to do, I need to leave. I want to start over. Maybe one day I'll return but it has to stop. I want to leave everything behind."

"What about the child," James asked, "Both children."

"I hope Eleanore can raise them herself but if I were to stay I'd fuck things up.  And this one? I need you to take him. I know you think you failed as a father since Cornelius' death but this is your chance. I love you father, someday I'll return."

——————————————————

"Goodbye Johanna!" Collin called out waving from the ship that slowly rocked in the waves.

Johanna waved back silently. She was sad to see him go again but the weekend had been fun.  Collin, Toby and Johanna had spent the last two days with each other so they could get as much time together as possible.  Unfortunately he had to leave again, after one week he was gone.

"Well I guess we should go home. I hope you don't get in trouble for missing work." Johanna said turning away from the water Toby at her side.

"I asked Mr. Todd if he was okay with it, I'll be fine."

After five minutes of walking they reached the house unknowing of what was going on inside.  Toby walked in heading straight for the kitchen humming a sailors tune Collin had taught him.  As he entered he immediately saw Nellie. She was sitting at the table sobbing quietly.  Toby rushed forward.

"Mum, what 'appened?" He questioned pulling her into a hug.

She didn't respond, instead looked at the floor holding back anymore tears. Johanna ran in after hearing Toby's worried call and calmly questioned Nellie, "I know you're sad, and I want to hello you but first I need you to tell me what happened."

Eleanore nodded trying her best to pull herself together, "I lied to Sweeney. Back in London I told him your mother was dead because I loved him.  I was so desperate for his love that I lied. Well I found Lucy but I was so afraid Sweeney would leave me I didn't tell him.  She was livin' on the streets and I ignored it but... Oh Johanna she's dead.  She's dead and its my fault. It my fault your father left. He's gone. Your fathers gone."

Johanna was shocked, no not shocked she was angry.  Her father had left a pregnant woman alone. How could he do such a thing? He may be a criminal, a murderer, an insane man but leaving a helpless woman alone crossed the line.

"Toby, you stay here with Eleanore, I'm going to find my father."

For the second time that day the sound of knocking reached James' ears.  He walked over to the door pulled it open and there on the doorstep was Johanna.

"Where's my father?" She snapped angrily, "We need to talk."

James was surprised by her anger.  She pushed past him starting to walk down the hall looking for Sweeney.

"Johan--" he started but was cut off.

"Where is he? He left Eleanore alone and I plan on giving him a piece of my mind."

"He's not here." He stated causing Johanna to turn around and look at him, "He left around twenty minutes ago."

"Well where did he go?" Johanna asked, annoyed with the little information she was getting.

"Took the most recent ship to London. Left a child with me as well, he's giving me a second chance. I'll miss the boy but he says someday he'll come back.  Just needs to clear his head."

"London?" That was all Johanna had heard. "Collin set off for London today. No."

——————————————————

Sweeney stared out into the mist. The ship swayed is the beautiful, deep later below.  The water spraying against his face calmed him as the sky grew darker.  He'd forgotten how beautiful the sea was at night.  The moon grew brighter and stars began to poke throw the dark night sky.  Thoughts of having left Nellie still haunted him but this was important.

There was no going back, not for a long time. Perhaps by the time he returned Eleanore would no longer need him.  He hoped it was true but deep down he knew it wasn't. Deep down get wanted to turn back but his dark mind prevailed.  There was no point.  The two people he loved were gone, out of reach.  Never again would he see Lucy's smile, he would never hear Eleanore's laugh.  The only thing left for him was the place he truly belonged.  Among all the other vermin in the world.

"There's no place like London."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 75 2
As days continue, Sweeney grows fond of Mrs. Lovett, yet not knowing he had killed Lucy. But by the time he learns the truth, his love for Lovett is...
1.2K 49 21
Here are some Sweenett one shots after Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett runaway from Fleet Street to live in the sea side. I'm not sure how far this will go...
3.3K 133 32
When his world crumbles down, Sweeney Todd is given a second chance. Will he be able to escape his destiny?
69 3 1
After the gruesome demise of the barber and the baker, the jaded partners are condemned to spend their afterlives together in the number 186 of Fleet...