Truth

"Oh hello, do I know you?" Johanna asked not recognizing the woman who had once taken her in so graciously.

"No, I don't believe you would, I've known you since you were a baby but I suppose it makes sense you wouldnt remember me.

"I'm sorry, I don't have much time to chat, I went upstairs to look for a Sweeney Todd but he wasn't there, do you knke where he is?"

Nellie glanced at the living room and saw Sweeney.  His head was tipped back letting the last of the gin drip into his mouth.  Nellie shook her head at Johanna who sighed sadly.

"Do you mind if I stay here until he returns?"

"O' course love, when Toby gets back I'll fix ya up with a glass a gin."

"Toby?" Johanna asked remembering the name.

"Yes, my little boy, he went off to the market."

"Of course! I know him! He came to France with me and Anthony!"

"Oh now I remember, well he should be back soon."

Just as the words left her mouth the young boy burst through to door holding a few bags of gin, toffees, and flour.

"Johanna?!" The boy threw the bag on Mrs. Lovett's counter and ran up to Johanna giving her a tight hug.

"Well it looks like both of ya can catch up so I'll go and rest my legs for a tad."

Toby nodded not releasing Johanna and Nellie walked into her room.  Her sheets smelled like alcohol and Sweeney, she wanted him near her it felt so cold being alone but she knew when he was drunk he showed no care towards anyone.  What had happened earlier was only out of his drunken lust.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sweeney opened his eyes, he was lying on the settee in front of the crackling fire.  His head hurt severely and he looked down to see the empty bottle of gin.  Sighing he sat up trying to ignore his raging headache.

So he was drunk last night.  Standing up he carefully made his way to the kitchen.  Toby was asleep on a booth seat, strange to see as Mrs. Lovett's hated seeing him uncomfortable.  Nellie's door was open as well, seeing as it never was Sweeney assumed she was awake but when he walked into the room there was Eleanore.

As he stepped inside the floorboards creaked under his weight and Nellie opened her eyes tiredly.

"The boys asleep in the kitchen, your door was open and I was drunk, what the hell happened last night?"

Nellie sat up suddenly and pulled the sheets off of her.  She was still fully dressed as Sweeney noticed.

"You'll be 'apply to hear the news love," she said rushing out of the room.  Sweeney followed her his eyebrows furrowed.

"What are you talking about Eleanore?"

"She showed up last night, was confused and scared but she was lookin' for ya."

"Who pet," Sweeney asked firmly.

"Johanna..."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sweeney and Johanna had been talking for almost an hour, unfortunately she didn't yet know about her parents, but it wouldn't be long...

"Johanna?"

"Yes Mr. Todd?"

Sweeney cringed hearing his name spoken in such a way by his own daughter.  How he longed to be known as 'daddy' again.

"Ben!" Lucy yelled excitedly as Johanna looked up at her.

Benjamin ran into the room, seemingly worried.

"You called for me?"

"Yes now get over here," Lucy laughed at his fearful expression. "Everything's fine now hurry up!"

Ben calmed looking into his loving wife's eyes.

"Daddy!" Johanna giggled reaching up to hold his cheeks.  Ben's eyes widened hearing the words spoken by his daughter.

Lucy looked at him pride filling her gaze.

"Her first word..." Ben whispered. "Lucy... She... She spoke."

He was in shock, Lucy giggled seeing him so surprised and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.  He ran out of the room and down the stairs to the bakery underneath.

"Nellie!" He yelled running into the shop.

The young woman behind the counter looked up surprised by his sudden appearance in front of her.

"Yes love?"

"Johanna said her first word!"

"Mr. Todd?"

Sweeney snapped back into reality to see both Johanna and Nellie looking at him worriedly.

"Sorry, got lost in thought."

"No need to apologize, what did you need to tell me?"

He coughed awkwardly his eyes telling Nellie he wanted to be alone.

"Alright I'll leave you and Mista T alone, I need to pop down to the bakehouse."

"Okay goodbye Mrs. Lovett great to get to know you again."

Finally alone with his daughter Sweeney began to speak.

"I told you I knew your mother well..."

"Yes, I wish mother hadnt given me up I feel I would've loved growing up around someone like you."

Johanna had been told by the judge that her mother had given her up when she was little which made Sweeney furious.  He couldn't believe that Turpin would try to make him and Lucy seem like such horrible people.

"Well I know her better than you may think."

"How do you mean?"

"Well about 21 years ago I met your mother and we became good friends, that was when I started developing feelings for her.  So I asked her to dinner and after a year I proposed.  We were married for four years before a man, a man you know, Judge Turpin separated us and sent me to prison to take you both from me...  I was there for fifteen years, waiting and hoping to see you both soon and I was finally released.  That was when I met Anthony..."

Johanna looked down sadly which Sweeney noticed.

"When I got back, my Lucy was dead and Turpin had you... So Anthony and I planned a way to get you away from the judge." Johanna looked up at him close to tears.

"Dad?" She whispered as he pulled her close to his chest.

"Yes dear..." Sweeney for once allowed a tear to fall from his face. "Welcome home Johanna."

A/N: Is it normal for me to cry at my own chapter.  I highly doubt it but it doesn't matter.  I hope you liked this chapter, I tried to bring out the emotional side and Sweeney and I feel good about how this turned out.  I'll be updating soon!