Anakin's Sister (Obi-Wan Keno...

By writer_rach

Alana Skywalker was once a Jedi, but left the Order long ago. When Qui-Gon Jinn arrives on Tatooine, searchin... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Tatooine
Chapter 2: The Fight
Chapter 3: Change
Chapter 4: Back to the Beginning
Chapter 5: The Council of Coruscant
Chapter 6: The Fight for Naboo
Chapter 7: A New Dawn
Chapter 8: Normalcy
Chapter 9: Trials
Chapter 10: A New Mission
Chapter 11: The Calling
Chapter 13: Protection
Chapter 14: The Chase
Chapter 15: Parting Ways
Chapter 16: The Search for Kamino
Chapter 17: Kamino
Chapter 18: Reuniting
Chapter 19: Geonosis
Chapter 20: The Beginning of the War
Chapter 21: The Clone Wars
Chapter 22: Forever
Chapter 23: Shipping Off
Chapter 24: A Memory
Chapter 25: Denial
Chapter 26: The First Battle of Mon Cala
Chapter 27: Return to Kamino
Chapter 28: A Separatist Plot
Chapter 29: Preparing for War
Chapter 30: The First Battle of Kamino
Chapter 31: Temporary Reassignment
Chapter 32: The Voyage
Chapter 33: Before the Battle
Announcement
Chapter 34: Crash Landing
Chapter 35: Division
Chapter 36: Waking Up
Chapter 37: The Newcomer
Black Lives Matter
Stolen Work
Chapter 38: Tension
Chapter 39: An Angry Discovery
Chapter 40: No Sleep
Chapter 41: Reunification
Chapter 42: Distraction

Chapter 12: Reunited

8.2K 199 84
By writer_rach

(AN: Peep approximately what Sylvan looks like above. Do you like her as a character? Let me know in the comments once you've read the chapter! -Rach)

The years flew by, with Sylvan growing exponentially under Alana's tutelage. Sylvan adored her master, trying her best to please her as much as she could.

It was one such day that showed Sylvan's newfound knowledge when they were doing fieldwork on the moon Alaris Prime. They had been deep in the forest for many days, seeking to find a group of Wookiees who had lost contact with the main camps on the moon for nearly two weeks.

Alana led the way, remaining on high alert as they made their way through the forest. Sylvan followed closely behind her. Sylvan could sense something following them in the forest line, and she whispered.

"There's something out there."

"Good, you sense it too," Alana said. "We must press on. It does not seem to be a danger to us yet," she said, looking over her shoulder at her Padawan, who wrinkled her cat-like nose slightly, her biological senses taking in the smells and her ears twitching at the sounds of the forest.

"I don't like it," Sylvan muttered. "What do you think it wants?"

"It's hunting us," Alana said matter-of-factly. "Do you remember what creatures hunt in the forest on Alaris Prime, my young Padawan?"

"Really, Master?" Sylvan asked, pausing for a second. "You're going to quiz me right now?"

Alana turned, an eyebrow raised at her apprentice, who bit her lip, realizing the way she had just spoken to her master.

"Keep moving," Alana said sternly, her voice reminding her of the way her old master would speak to her when she questioned him.

"I'm sorry, Master," Sylvan said. "They're gundarks."

"Correct," Alana said, pushing through the brush and branches. "And what can you tell me about them?"

"They're big, ugly, difficult to defeat, and not all that pleasant," Sylvan replied.

"You would be correct. But what is the one thing that they can't do?"

Sylvan thought for a moment as she jumped over a fallen tree. Her silence continued, clearly having forgotten her studies. Alana looked back and shook her head.

"Are you tired, my young Padawan?"

"No, no," Sylvan said, shaking her head. "I just- I suppose I didn't look at the information on gundarks as well as I thought I had."

"They can't climb," Alana said. "And based on the sounds that are approaching us, I think it's best we climb now."

Alana suddenly jumped up into the tree that she had paused below, and Sylvan followed suit, hopping up beside her master. The two of them climbed up a ways before finally stopped.  Sylvan looked down and clenched her jaw when she saw the creatures below them.

The gundarks were circling the tree, clawing up at it, and whining and growling ferociously. Suddenly, one of them jumped and caught onto a branch, managing to stand firmly on it before looking up at the two Jedi who were perched in the tree.

"Uh, Master," Sylvan said. "I thought you said they couldn't climb."

"Well, Sylvan, it appears that I may have been wrong," Alana said, raising an eyebrow. "I suppose it's time to go, then," she said, standing up on her branch, balancing perfectly.

"Go where?" Sylvan asked, looking around them. The nearest tree was tiny and most likely wouldn't hold either of their weight.

"Down, of course," Alana said. "You know how to use a lightsaber, don't you? Or have I failed you in your training?"

Sylvan looked over at her master and sighed before moving out to the edge of her branch.

"You'll be right behind me?" She asked, looking down at the gundark in the tree and its two companions below before looking back over at Alana. Alana made a shooing motion with her hand.

"Right behind you," she replied.

Sylvan nodded and then dropped down to the ground, rolling away from the tree, behind one of the gundarks. She ignited her lightsaber and sliced off one of the gundarks' arms. It howled in pain, gaining the attention of the other two gundarks, who turned to Sylvan and growled.

"Uh, Master, a little help here?" She called up to Alana, who was still perched in the tree, watching the action below.

"You've got it!" Alana called as one of the gundarks attacked Sylvan.

The Cathar managed to slip out of the way, dodging the gundarks' attacks. She fought them off for a moment, before realizing that her master was no longer in the tree, but she also couldn't see Alana on the ground.

"Master?" Sylvan called before finally killing one of the gundarks.

Just as she had done so, the second gundark's attacks came even more ferociously than before. Sylvan could barely hold her ground against it. She felt herself losing ground, and she knew that if she didn't kill one of the gundarks soon, she would be pinned between them.

"Master!!" Sylvan called again, frustrated that Alana had just disappeared.

She managed to kick one of the gundarks back and sliced through it with her lightsaber, but she was clawed from behind, a slaw shredding her robes and taking some of her skin and fur too. Sylvan felt to the ground, with a cry of pain. Her lightsaber tumbled out of her hands and disappeared into the tall grasses. She looked up to see the last gundark leaning over her, its claws ready to shred her to pieces when suddenly, a green lightsaber cut through the gundark, making it fall to the ground.

As the gundark fell, behind it stood Alana, surrounded by a small group of Wookies. Sylvan's face went from one of fear to one of surprise to one of frustration.

"I thought you had it?" Alana said, placing her lightsaber back onto her belt.

Sylvan was smarting from the cuts on her back and from Alana's remark.

"I never said I had it, I asked you for help, Master," Sylvan said. "How did you find them?"

"The gundarks hadn't been the ones tracking us, Sylvan. The Wookies were," Alana said. "They didn't want to meet us because they thought the tracks belonged to the gundarks."

"Oh," Sylvan said. "Why didn't I sense that, then?"

"Because you weren't listening hard enough," Alana said. "But you did a good job with the gundarks, I might say," Alana looked around at the animals before turning to the Wookies. "We need to take you back to the main camp."

The Wookies roared at them and nodded. As they turned and made their way in the direction of the camp, Alana looked to see Sylvan looking for her lightsaber in the grass. After finding it, she placed it in her belt and looked over at her master.

"Once we get back, we should see to the cuts on your back," Alana said. "Here, let's wrap them quickly for now."

The two of them wrapped Sylvan's back up quickly before racing to catch up with the Wookies. They trudged along in silence for a while before Alana spoke, sensing her Padawan's confusion and frustration.

"You did well, Sylvan," Alana said, the teasing from earlier replaced with gentleness. "You held off the gundarks for quite some time while I went and found the Wookies. I would not have left you alone if I did not believe you could handle it."

"Thank you, Master," Sylvan replied, still frustrated with what had happened.

"What is bothering you, then?" Alana asked.

"It's just," Sylvan began, trying to find the right words to describe how she felt. "We've been in the forest for days, and when the Wookies began to track us, I let my imagination run wild with what it could be. I became fearful of it."

"I see," Alana said, choosing her words carefully. "Fear is the path to the dark side, Sylvan. This is something you have been told since you were a Youngling, yes?"

Sylvan nodded.

"Do you trust me enough to trust in the skills I have taught you?"

Again, Sylvan nodded, shuffling her feet in the grass. She could not meet her Master's eyes.

"Then you have no reason to fear, Sylvan. And you have no reason to fear death either," Alana added. "I used to fear death, you know."

Sylvan looked to her master, her eyes wide. Alana rarely mentioned her faults to anyone, in particular, her own Padawan. Sylvan always revered her master, not used to thinking that Alana had once been a Padawan herself.

"I fled from it all the time, especially when I left the Order," Alana shook her head. "I lost my father at a young age and ever since then, the fear of death and fear of others dying plagued my every moment, waking or sleeping. Then, when a dear friend of mine, Master Qui-Gon Jinn passed, I realized that his passing was not the end. He is now more at peace than he ever was, for now, he is one with the Force."

"Death is not the end?" Sylvan asked.

"Of course not, Sylvan," Alana said. "Remember your teachings from when you were a Youngling. Do not have fear, let the ways of the Force be your guide."

"Yes, Master," Sylvan said, her mind and heart finally settling at her Master's words.

"Now, we have a few days journey ahead of us, Sylvan," Alana said. "Stay vigilant in your thoughts and they will guide us back to the camp."

And so they went on, with Sylvan thinking back on all her teachings, gaining back the confidence that she had had before their mission, and she let her mind seek out the Force and let it guide her back to the camp. 

After a few days, they finally reached the camp, and while Sylvan left to get her injuries looked at, Alana went to the Wookies communication tower to contact members of the Council.

The holographic image of her the Masters came upon her communication device and Alana bowed.

"Hello, Masters," she said. Master Windu, Master Plo, and Master Mundi nodded to her.

"Hello, Alana," Master Windu said. "Good to hear from you. How was your mission on Alaris Prime?"

"It was successful. My Padawan performed well under pressure during an attack by a group of gundarks," she said, eager to compliment Sylvan. "The Wookies have safely been returned to the base camp, and we are awaiting further instructions on our next assignment."

"Actually, Skywalker, the Council would like you to return to Coruscant for some time," Master Mundi said. "There has been a special request made of you, and we would like to discuss it in person."

"I see," Alana said. "My Padawan and I will return shortly."

"We will see you soon," Master Windu spoke before Alana bowed and watched as the holograph disappeared from her screen. She turned and spoke to the leader of the Wookie outpost before making her way down to the medical facility.

She entered and saw Sylvan standing from her bed, in a new set of robes. Alana smiled.

"Good to see you looking better," she said. "Are you well enough to leave?"

"Of course, Master," Sylvan said.

The High Council has called us back to Coruscant, so we must make haste," Alana said.

"What?" Sylvan asked, moving towards her Master. "Do you know why?"

"No, unfortunately, we are already late. He's summoned a handful of other Jedi as well, not exactly sure exactly who or why," she muttered. "We should get going soon. I am going to grab the rest of my things and clean up, then we'll rendezvous at the ship in twenty minutes."

"Yes, Master," Sylvan bowed as the two parted ways yet again. Sylvan went to the loading docks, checking over the plane while Alana went and washed up after their ten-day journey in the forests of Alaris Prime.

Once all was ready, the Wookies roared their thanks to the two Jedi before they boarded their ship, both eager to return to Coruscant. Alana allowed Sylvan to pilot their small ship away from the moon and into hyperspace. The two of them had very little need for talking, as they had shared much of their thoughts over the past few years and were happy to sit in comfortable silence together.

After a few hours in the ship, they finally came out of hyperspace and were cleared to descend to Coruscant, a bustling sight that Alana had grown quite fond of the more time she spent away from Coruscant.

Their ship was cleared to land in the Jedi Temple hangars, and Sylvan brought the ship down very smoothly. It was clear that flying was something she excelled at, even if she had only been flying for a few years, being only sixteen years old. The two of them got out of the ship and left it to the droids for any fuel replenishing or repairs while they quickly made their way up towards the elevator.

Alana picked up her pace, her Padawan beginning to lag behind her. They made their way onto an elevator and towards the Senate, with Alana pacing slightly from wall to wall, sensing two faint but familiar presences on Coruscant. Sylvan stood close by the door, eager to get off, as turbolift and elevator rides were quickly becoming one of her least favorite activities.

"Master, what do you think is going on?" Sylvan finally asked, breaking their silence.

"Speculation leads to disappointment, Sylvan. We shall just have to find out once we arrive," she said just as the elevator arrived on the right level. "Remember-"

"Be patient," Sylvan repeated, trying desperately not to roll her eyes as they stepped off the elevator. That phrase was one that Alana managed to drill into her mind every second of every day, and it was not one that the teenage Cathar liked very much.

Just as they rounded the corner, Alana's eyes widened at the sight in front of her. It was none other than Obi-Wan Kenobi, who had recently been promoted to being a Jedi Master, and beside him was a young man, who Alana recognized as her brother.

They had not seen each other since the night Alana and Obi-Wan had agreed to part from each other, and that it was best if Anakin and Alana were split up.

"Anakin?" She asked, causing the two Jedi who were standing outside the Council chambers to look up.

"Alana!" Anakin exclaimed, making his way towards his sister. They embraced quickly, with Alana incredibly surprised at how different he looked. He had grown up.

"It has been far too long, Ani," she said, using her brother's nickname and making him smile. "You've changed a lot since the last time we saw each other."

"You've gotten wrinkles," Anakin mocked her, laughing at his own joke and causing Alana to roll her eyes.

"Anakin, you must respect your elders," Obi-Wan's voice came from behind him. "If not only for them but for your physical health too. She might smack you with her lightsaber for that," he joked.

"It's good to see you, Obi-Wan," Alana said, bowing to him just as he did. She stepped back to reveal Sylvan, who was watching on with amusement. "This is my Padawan, Sylvan Poreth, who has been with me for five years now."

"I have heard much about you, Anakin, and you, Master Kenobi," she said, bowing to them. "Master Alana speaks highly of you."

"I hope she does," Anakin replied.

Alana took a moment to really look at him. He still sported short hair, his Padawan Learner braid much longer than Alana had thought it would be. Happy to see that her brother seemed to be happy and healthy, her gaze then turned to Obi-Wan. He had aged slightly, but still as handsome as ever. His steel-blue eyes glistened in the light of the hallway, and Alana's heart fluttered slightly. She clenched her jaw, forcing herself to draw her attention away from his features.

"Were you both called to the Council?" Alana asked.

"Yes, we were, a sort of special assignment, per the request of the Chancellor," Obi-Wan said. "Not exactly sure what, they wanted to wait until we were in the Council room."

"Interesting, we were told the same thing," Alana said.

The group of four looked up when the door to the Council room opened. They were beckoned in and the four went to the center of the room, facing Grand Master Yoda. Alana noted that a handful of the Council members were being holographed into the meeting as they were absent on other missions.

"Thank you for joining us, Obi-Wan, Alana, young Padawans," Master Windu said. "Your missions on Ansion and Alaris Prime respectively were well done. Now you are being charged with a new task. The four of you must coordinate and provide security for Senator Amidala due to recent events. Her ship was recently attacked upon her arrival to discuss the arms bill in the senate. Chancellor Palpatine specifically requested Obi-Wan and Alana to oversee her safety until the bill has been decided."

"Yes, Master," Alana said, bowing. Obi-Wan and the two Padawans followed suit.

"May the Force be with you," Master Windu said, with some members of the Council echoing his sentiments as the four of them left the room. They made their way down the hall towards the elevator when Sylvan suddenly spoke.

"Four Jedi? Isn't that a bit-" she trailed off for a moment, trying to choose the best word. "Overkill?"

"Technically, the Chancellor asked for the two of us," Alana said. "And I suppose you and Anakin are simply going to tag along and learn how to do security for a politician. Unless you'd prefer to stay here and go back to the archives and reread through all the data entries on gundarks like I told you to before leaving for Alaris Prime?"

"No, Master," Sylvan said quickly and snapping her mouth shut. She looked over at Anakin, who had a smile on his face when he listened to his sister.

"She's changed," he whispered to Sylvan as the group got onto the elevator. "She used to do hand-to-hand fighting on Tatooine, you know. Bit of a badass," he said, hoping Alana wouldn't hear. She didn't. She and Obi-Wan were too busy discussing logistics for keeping the Senator safe. The group made their way out of the elevator and out to a shuttle that was headed for the Senate Building.

"You're kidding," Sylvan said. That was one thing Alana had never told her. "Now she makes me do all the fighting until the last minute."

"Trust me," Anakin said as the shuttle took off. "Just wait till you see her in action."

"What are you two going on about?" Obi-Wan's voice suddenly interrupted their conversation. "I should hope that you have been listening to us, but it does not seem that way."

"Oh hush, Obi-Wan," Alana said. "It's been nearly a year since Sylvan's seen another Jedi outside of me, so I shouldn't blame anyone but myself for their chatter."

Obi-Wan gave Alana a look before shaking his head, a smile forming on his face. It was very clear how the two of them had immediately rekindled their friendship after over seven years of not seeing each other.

As the four of them arrived at the Senate building, Alana and Obi-Wan got out of the shuttle, Anakin and Sylvan following suit, this time much quieter than before.

"When was the last time you saw the Senator?" Alana asked.

"Since the invasion of Naboo," Obi-Wan admitted. "What about you?"

"A few years ago, I went and helped to solve a mining dispute between the Naboo and the Gungans," Alana shook her head. "But it has been a while."

As they made their way into yet another elevator, Alana turned to the Padawans, who both seemed a bit antsy as they made their way up.

"Now why are you two on edge?" Alana asked.

"I dislike elevators," Sylvan said, fidgeting again with her robes. 

"I see," Alana said, shaking her head and raising an eyebrow at her brother. "And you?"

"I'm not on edge," Anakin replied.

"I haven't felt you this tense since-" Obi-Wan paused. "Well, since we fell into that nest of gundarks."

"Gundarks?" Alana asked. "We had an episode with those recently."

"No, Master," Sylvan said. "I had an episode with them recently. You vanished to find the Wookies."

"I helped," Alana said before turning to Anakin. "Tell me about this nest of gundarks."

"Well, Master," Anakin said, using Alana's formal title. "Master Obi-Wan fell into that nightmare, and I rescued him," he said before turning to Obi-Wan. "Remember?"

"Oh, yes," Obi-Wan said before chuckling at the memory and making Anakin shake his head in laughter too. He looked back at Anakin and raised an eyebrow. "You're sweating. Relax. Take a deep breath."

"I haven't seen her in ten years, Master," Anakin said.

Alana shook her head at how nervous her brother was to see Padme again. As the turbolift stopped, the doors opened to reveal none other than Jar-Jar Binks standing nearby.

"Obi? Lanie?" Jar-Jar cried, grabbing ahold of Obi-Wan's hand and shaking it viciously while Anakin stepped out of the elevator.

Alana took a deep breath before plastering on a smile and looking to Sylvan.

"Well, Sylvan," she said. "I think we're in for a very interesting time."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 85 16
Maxine has been on her own for the past three years. The transport shuttle taking her and her parents away from the violence plaguing the galaxy cra...
47.9K 1.2K 27
Obi-Wan Kenobi greatest Jedi of all time. Always followed the code and did what was best for the Jedi Order. But he had a secret. He fell in love...
29.1K 936 20
The chosen one, Anakin Skywalker, was found by the Sith before the Jedi. Now as war rages between the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Gala...
16.7K 546 27
COMPLETED, after elly was taken off of active duty, she grew used to her routine. training younglings and being the sole sentient carer of the medita...