Habits

By jynxyouowemeyoursoul

Nellie Lovett has always been in love with Benjamin Barker. Though when he returned to Fleet Street after th... More

Silent Demons
Justice
Regrets
Deadly Love
Questions
Really Living
Return
Truth
News
No More Hiding
Mistakes
The Cry Of Demons
Giving Up
The Plan
A Life Together My Pet
Blackpool
Monster
Does It Ever Get Better?
Secrets That Can't Be Told
Not While I'm Around
Free From Fear
Reunited With The Past
Promises
Moving Backwards
Haunted
Leaving It All Behind
Living Life Apart
Changes
Return
Disappearance
Beautiful
The Sea

Dangerous Secrets

250 7 7
By jynxyouowemeyoursoul

"Good, now remember apply pressure but not to much," Sweeney instructed watching Toby's hand closely.

Toby smiled brightly as he barely scraped the razor against the customers beard.  The past month had been kind to him, despite the first stressful week of being watched by Nellie he could finally shave.  Not all that well but enough for Nellie to back off.  Sweeney had made up with Nellie, of course Toby wasn't quite sure how. 

"Careful, try a little less pressure once you get down to the neck."

Listening intently to Sweeney's instructions Toby found the shave over quite quickly.  He finally hadn't had the razor yanked from his hand, or been corrected.  It was all him.  The customer stood and thanked both Toby and Sweeney before handing Toby what he owed.

Just as the door closed Sweeney spoke up, "You keep practicing, you did great today. By next week I may be able to take more customers if your willing to start working."

"Do ya really mean it sir?" Toby asked excitedly.

"I do." Sweeney responded. "But just a warning son. Some of the men that come in can talk about so pretty awful stuff."

Toby nodded, "I know, remember I worked in a barber shop before. With Pirelli." He shivered even thinking about the Italian.

He still had faded scars on his fingers and arms from the man.  Toby flinched as he felt a hand grip his shoulder only to turn around and meet the gaze of Sweeney.

"I figure its time to see it dinners prepared. You go on flown and I'll meet you in a minute."

"Alright sir, you'll need my help tomorrow as well won't ya?"

"As always," Sweeney opened the door to the shop allowing Toby to exit with ease.

Sweeney shut the door and turned to a small closet that sat in the corner of the room.  He'd kept Toby far away from it, though the boy had no idea why.  As he slowly approached the don't he heard the muffled cries echoing throughout the room.  Sweeney grabbed the knob and pulled open the door.  The figure on the floor of the closet was bound and gagged and froze as light entered the small space.

"Stand up," Sweeney snapped looking down on the figure that stood slowly.

He was short. Young, but not a child.  Sweeney pulled out a pistol that he'd his in his trousers and held it to the mans head while removing the gag from his mouth.

"Sir, I promise, I've done nothing wrong!" He whimpered.

Sweeney scoffed, "I could never believe that. Now how many of you are there?"

"Please, let me go!"

"I asked you a question! Now answer with the truth or your death with me more painful than it has to be!"

"My mom, my two sisters and my younger brother!" The boy sobbed, his last moments alive were to be spent giving up his family's life.

"Good, then it won't take me long hunting them down and ending their lives." Sweeney growled placing his finger on the trigger.

"Don't hurt me..."

Sweeney pulled the trigger, ignoring the quiet pleading.  Blood flowed freely from the wound and Sweeney closed the door feeling content. Now for the others...

——————————————————

Nellie's smile widened as Sweeney entered the house with a proud grin on his face.  Toby had told her everything and she knew Sweeney was proud of him.  As she walked up to him he gave her a soft kiss on the cheek and smiled sweetly at her.

"Toby told me everythin'! Do ya really think he's ready to shave? I don't want 'im to hurt 'imself! Her smile was replaced with a look of worry.

"He's fine pet. But if you truly want to wait another week I'll do it for you."

Nellie thought quickly before looking over at a seemingly worried Toby, "It seems Toby wants me to give ya permission to start next week," she giggled hiding her worry.

"Oh please mum! Dad already promised me!"

Sweeney was taken aback are the word 'dad'. Both him and Nellie looked down at Toby who looked down at his feet.

"Sorry, Mr. Todd is what I mean to say."

"Its alright lad, just a little strange for me."

Toby nodded then looked to Nellie who was more than happy to see the two boys growing so close."

"Alright," Nellie sighed, "Next week it is, but be safe and I mean it!"

"Yes!" Toby cheered, "Thank ya mum!"

"Sweeney, if he hurts anyone of gets hurt its back down 'ere with me."

——————————————————

Sweeney was lost, deep in thought.  He'd disposed of the body yet again posing it as a suicide, but the fear of being caught still sat in the back of his mind.  This could be the one kill Nellie would understand but even trying to think like that he knew she wouldn't.  He didn't mind, he felt quite happy that the boy was dead, he deserved it.  Of course the others wouldn't come easy.

Toby was in the living room talking to Nellie while Sweeney laid in bed looking up at the ceiling.  He had to stop killing, get couldn't lose Nellie it would break him.  Insanity was always nipping at his head but what would happen if it related him?

Another rule broken.  But he had his reasons. He may be the only one who understood why he killed the boy but that's all he needed.  No one else had to know. No one else would know.  He would make sure of it.

Sweeney sighed, he felt trapped.  Standing he left the room only giving a small wave when he was greeted by Toby.  He grabbed his coat and left the house feeling comfort in the cold, empty streets.  It had been much too long since he'd stayed outside in the cool, crisp air. He hadn't realized he'd needed it so badly. The night was calm and quiet.  No fine but helpless drunks wandered the streets and Sweeney, being a strong, large man, kept them away.

"Sir?"

Sweeney looked down at a young woman, a child in her arms.  Her clothes were torn and she looked filthy.  Despite his strong outward appearance he felt sorry for the woman.  She obviously lived out on the streets and Sweeney seemed wealthy by the look of his clothes.

"Sorry to bother ya, but I was just wonderin'. Do ya have a place I could stay for the night? I know its a lot to ask but I'd be more than grateful.  I'd be out by mornin' if ya wish it, but its gettin' awfully cold."

Sweeney nodded, "Of course, if you wish you can stay in my shop for a night."

"Oh thank ya sir!" The woman said smiling.

Sweeney turned and the woman followed him back to the shop.

"Its not incredibly comfortable but there's a cot in the closet over there.  You're welcome to use it. I'll be back in a minutes with some warm clothes, its getting cold and those rags won't do anything for you."

The woman seemed taken aback by his warmth.  It wasn't everyday she met a rich man willing to house her for the night.  Most men thought of her as a prostitute, found her disgusting, but this was the first time she'd found kindness.  He was also quite handsome and oddly familiar.  The door opened again and Sweeney handed her a jacket and new clothes along with a few blankets he said she could keep.

"Cots in the closet. If you need a bathroom there's one in the back and the doors locked but if you need to leave, it unlocks from the inside."

"Thank ya again sir, your help is greatly appreciated."

"It would've made me a monster to have ignored a woman on the street, especially if that woman has a child."

——————————————————

"Sweeney what if she's a prostitute just lookin' for money!" Nellie rushed, worriedly.

"She has a child Nellie," Sweeney said trying to reason with her.

"Could be anyone's kid!"

"Nell! She's a kind mother and besides it only one night, if she was a prostitute believe me I'd be able to know."

"Because ya fucked a prostitute?" Nellie brought up, annoyed.

"Don't bring that up! You know I was drunk and it still haunts me that I did such a thing!"

"Why does everythin' seem to haunt ya?"

Sweeney rolled his eyes, "Dear god, fine! If you really want her out go kick her out but its all on you!"

Nellie huffed, standing and leaving the house, quickly heading to the shop.  As she grabbed the doorknob she paused at the sight of a young woman sitting in Sweeney's chair holding a child.  The woman seemed to be crying softly though Nellie could hear anything.  Nellie leaned closer to hear three simple words.  Three words that made her blood run cold.  Those words were, "I'm sorry Benjamin."

——————————————————

Sweeney looked up from the bottle of gin at the sound of the door opening.  In the short amount of time he had before Nellie walked in he managed to shove the bottle back in its cupboard.

"She's gone." Nellie breathed, sitting down in front of him.

Sweeney didn't respond.  The woman seemed so helpless and the fact that Nellie was being so insensitive bothered him.  He'd thought she would be happy that he was doing something good but no.  Being deep in thought he hadn't noticed Nellie was still talking until she said his name.

"Sweeney? Are ya listenin'?"

He shook his head while standing, "Even if you didn't trust her you could've tried to help the child." His voice was angry but it didn't faze Nellie.

Nellie couldn't have him figuring out who that woman really was.  He left the room without another word.

Why didn't she understand? The poor woman struggling to keep a child alive.  Had she any compassion? Sweeney slammed the door to an empty room in the house.  He'd been staying in the room a lot.  He like how empty it was, it helped him think.  His footsteps echoed through the room as he walked over to the window.  The moon was hidden behind the dark clouds bringing a storm to Blackpool.  The soft sound of rain began slowly before growing louder.  Sweeney looked outside at the buildings that were covered it shadows.  The silence was calming, and Sweeney closed his eyes ignoring all the anger he felt towards Nellie at the moment.

He knew he shouldn't be mad at her. She did nothing wrong, she was just worried about him.  Did he react badly? Maybe she was right. It hurt him to think such a thing about a seemingly innocent woman but maybe he was just being ignorant.  But she had a child! Would she prostitue herself for her child's sake? It could be her only way of making money.  He didn't want to think the woman would have to do such a disgusting thing but it was easier to remove his guilt.

——————————————————

It was finally time for Toby to start shaving but first Sweeney needed another chair and Toby was sent to find it.  As he walked around the market place he stopped, seeing the newspaper stand.  A crowd of people stood around it grabbing at the papers.

Might as well, Toby thought walking over to the stand.

Pushing through the crowd he somehow managed to hand the man a penny and a paper was shoved in his hands.  Returned to his search for a chair he didn't notice the headline on the paper.

"MISSING: 22 Year Old John Turpin"

A/N: Both Nellie and Sweeney are keeping secrets.  Hope you liked this update!  Feedback really helps, I'll update as soon as I can.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 61 26
He knows her from a friend, she knows him because he's popular, will the too love each other ? Even if there are struggles??
4.5K 318 51
Can Sweeney forgive Nellie and can Nellie continue to love Sweeney the way she did, after all they've been through can they fall in love with each ot...
11.1K 473 18
It's been 5 years since Sweeney left the pie shop behind and Mrs Lovett again for that matter. The Judge was dead, his revenge was now over. However...
14.9K 691 48
Instead of killing Mrs. Lovett at the end of the film sweeney relises his affection twords the baker but still hurts her but she lives. Can Mrs. Love...