Mismatched Compatibility (A a...

By fallenbabybubu

What if fate's playing a cruel joke on you because your soulmate annoys the heck out of you, despite sharing... More

Mismatched Compatibility
Mismatched Compatibility (1)
Mismatched Compatibility (2)
Mismatched Compatibility (3)
Mismatched Compatibility (4)
Mismatched Compatibility (5)
Mismatched Compatibility (6)
Mismatched Compatibility (7)
Mismatched Compatibility (8)
Mismatched Compatibility (9)
Mismatched Compatibility (10)
Mismatched Compatibility (11)
Mismatched Compatibility (12)
Mismatched Compatibility (13)
Mismatched Compatibility (14)
Mismatched Compatibility (15)
Mismatched Compatibility (16)
Mismatched Compatibility (17)
Mismatched Compatibility (18)
Mismatched Compatibility (19)
Mismatched Compatibility (20)
Mismatched Compatibility (21)
Mismatched Compatibility (22)
Mismatched Compatibility (23)
Mismatched Compatibility (24)
Mismatched Compatibility (25)
Mismatched Compatibility (26)
Mismatched Compatibility (27)
Mismatched Compatibility (29)
Special Chapter: Viria
Mismatched Compatibility (Epilogue)

Mismatched Compatibility (28)

111K 3.9K 512
By fallenbabybubu

Dana:

This baby was so adorable, I could honestly play with him forever.

“You're so cute,” I giggled, as I made funny faces at baby Lincoln.

His eyes twinkled as he laughed, only making me adore him more. He was a perfect mixture of Brian and Kim; her ash brown hair and his dark green eyes. Only five months old, and this baby got everyone all wrapped up with his little finger.

Brian and Kim were childhood best friends before they got together in their junior year in high school. They married in the middle of their college years, during which I met Luke and Alyson because this was quite a small world.

They reminded me of Aaron and Dakota back in New Jersey, who also started out as best friends before getting into a relationship. In turn, thinking of that couple made my mind drift of to Ethan.

My heart squeezed at the thought of him. I longed to see him again; to see those blue eyes twinkle in mischief; and to see them grow with intensity as he looked at me. However, I wasn't sure if that would happen in the near future.

This morning . . . was most probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I didn't want to leave his bed. I didn't want to get out of his possessive embrace.

I wanted to stay. Goodness, I wanted to stay.

But I thought to myself: how long would we keep doing that? How long until he grew tired of me? How long would it take us before one of us realized we were fate's mistake? I wasn't sure if I could take the heartbreak, especially when I've never been so in love with someone like I had with Ethan.

I remember sobbing as I quickly packed my bags in my guest room. I avoided running into anyone in the household as I left. I hailed a cab and called Dakota to inform her what I was doing. Someone should at least know before I fully disappeared from Mount Valley.

I closed my eyes and shook my head.

I've been depressed all day. Thankfully, this little toddler had been the perfect distraction. I smiled at him, brushing his thin hair. I buried my face in his chubby little stomach, causing him to laugh.

I was supposed to be mingling with the guests but I didn't want to. I didn't care if my father was looking at me strangely because I was usually the social butterfly. He wasn't used to seeing my stay in one place.

I've been playing with Lincoln for over an hour now. Honestly, I felt relaxed to be with my friends. I wanted to spend time with them, catch up with them.

“Do you think your mommy would let me steal you from her?” I teased lightly, glancing at Kim.

Kim gracefully laughed beside me. Her long brown hair was up in a bun, with loose curls framing her face. She had always been so elegant without her trying. She was born to be high-class.

“His daddy surely won't let you do that,” said Brian, with a crooked smile. His clean-cut black hair contrasted his fair skin and green eyes.

“Wait 'til he pulls your hair,” chuckled Karl. “If baby Lincoln wasn't so darn cute, he would've gotten told off by Todd for pulling Maxine's hair too much.”

Karl used to dye his hair flaming red during his teenage years, and then he would stick it up in a spike. It looked quite edgy, very far from his childish (and sometimes innocent) personality. Now, he got over that phase and let its natural brown color show. He wore it short, but still a little spiky.

I felt sad for him, really. Whenever I looked at him, I remember seeing the broken guy who lost his high school sweetheart years ago. I never really knew the whole story, just that she broke things off right before leaving for college. I think she was his 'one that got away.'

“Todd became very protective ever since Max got pregnant,” remarked Brian, shaking in silent laughter. “It's highly amusing,” he added, waving his hand.

I simply smiled.

I told them absolutely everything while we had lunch at Charmuel's Cuisine in Central Park. They were all very understanding that it made me feel selfish for keeping it from them. Then again, I've only started being part of this group a few years ago.

They all went through high school together. Perhaps I was insecure of the strong bond of their friendship that I wasn't fully confident. I found out that I was wrong. No one judged me here. I felt at ease now.

“Sorry we're late!” greeted Maxine cheerfully, waving at us as she and Todd approached our table.

“No, people are just arriving,” I assured her.

“What took you so long?” Kim asked Maxine.

“Were the boys out of control again?” groaned Karl, referring to High Jinks.

He was supposed to be seeing through their recording session today, but then I showed up and changed his plans. I insisted that he go back to Mantle Studios after lunch but Maxine said she'd do it. She composed the song they recorded today, anyway.

“No, they were perfect,” said Maxine, smiling at Karl. “We just ran into someone and had to help out.”

“A nuisance, more like,” added Todd, as he pulled out a chair for Maxine.

She sat and shook her head, as though she disagreed with his statement.

They say pregnancy makes women bloom. I most certainly think it's true, especially on Maxine's case. I've never seen her more beautiful. That's definitely saying something, considering she's an international artist.

Out of everyone in the gang, she was the only one who pursued a career in music. See, they formed a rock band when they were in high school.

However, staying in a band wasn't quite practical as a life-long career in our world. They had duties and responsibilities. The guys, particularly, needed to take over and run their family businesses.

Brian Wright (Luke's cousin) is in his second year taking up law in Columbia University, so that he could one day take over his father's law firm. Karl Andrews partnered with Josh Mantle (the heir of Mantle Studios) in producing music, now he manages the Manhattan branch here in the east coast.

“Did we miss anything?” asked Todd, taking a sip from his glass.

I heard from my father that Todd Samuels was considered a shark in Wall Street. He was so good in numbers that he could be a billionaire before he turned twenty-five, not including his wife and parents' fortune. Despite his intimidating reputation in the financial world, he sometimes wrote songs with the love of his life.

I loved hearing how he fell in love with Maxine. Since I was a hopeless romantic, I always thought of them when I was on the verge of losing hope in finding true love. The thought of them made me giddy and optimistic.

The story goes, Todd was quite coldblooded before Maxine came in the picture – not that he wasn't like that today. He didn't smile back then, and always made witty but snide remarks. She, on the other hand, was always sweet and kind. But she didn't back down from him even if she always ended up looking like an idiot. There wasn't a day that the two of them didn't bicker. Sooner of later, she got under his skin. Before they knew it, they were in love. The ice prince melted.

It was a long journey. But then again, they were only in high school when that happened. The fact that they lasted this long with their opposite personalities . . . It was very impressive.

“Not really,” shrugged Brian, answering Todd's question.

“You missed Brie making fun of you,” Karl told Todd, grinning.

“Dude!” said Brian indignantly. You could tell he didn't mind, though.

Karl laughed out loud.

My eyes wandered around the ballroom. Everybody was dazzling in their suits, jewelry, and cocktail dresses. The lights and champagne were sparkling. The people in the room carried an aura of superiority. This was normal for us. This was what I grew up in. I've always put on a perfect facade in the past that I forgot to enjoy this.

Now that I'm seeing it in a different light, it isn't that horrible. Being with friends who understood what it's like to be born in this world is enough. In a way, this felt like a reunion. Most of the people in here were my family. At least, I considered them family.

I still wasn't in the mood to mingle with them, though.

Maxine caught my eye. She was staring at me, smiling gleefully. I tilted my head in wonder. Before I could ask, Kim tapped my shoulder. I looked at her.

“Are you all right?” she whispered.

I nodded reassuringly at her – and lying smoothly, I hope.

She leaned closer, and lowered her voice as she said, “Peter has been watching you all evening.”

I tensed. Peter was watching me?

“I guessed as much,” said Kim, seeing my reaction. “My little Lincoln could be quite the distraction,” she cooed at the baby in my arms.

“We're bound to talk sooner or later,” I murmured.

“Yes. He's convinced . . .” she trailed off, shaking her head.

“What is it?”

“Well, he's convinced you – There he goes,” she said instead, her eyes on Peter as he stood up and walked over to our side of the table. I pretended not to notice. “I think he wants to talk to you now.”

“Dana, can we talk outside for a moment?” he asked me directly.

Kim shot me a knowing look, while he took baby Lincoln from my arms. He kicked and went willingly to his mother.

I looked at Peter's outstretched hand. Taking it, I said, “Of course.”

He led me to the bar, which was considerably quieter. He gently let go of my hand and leaned on the counter. He ordered a scotch, before looking at me.

Peter was one of those guys you called beautiful. He had been a ladies man for as long as I could remember. With those soft looking brown hair, gray eyes, and crooked smile, he could have you believing that you were the girl for him.

“I'm glad with what you did to the hotel,” I complimented him, as some sort of ice breaker. Goodness, this was awkward.

Peter Sullivan was an entrepreneur. He managed a lot of businesses. His family also had a part in international shipments. However, he solely owned the Olympus with the others (yes, the gang). They invested and built a five star hotel of their own.

Voila! Here it is.

“Thanks,” he replied with a crooked smile.

That smile used to be my undoing. Until of course I met a certified badass with a smirk so enchanting my knees turned wobbly.

I cleared my throat.

“What did you want to talk about?” I was curious and nervous, which was silly because what did I have to be nervous about?

Peter had always been there for me. He and Karl had. They were my childhood best friends. We were young, then. Very young. I didn't know until I went to boarding school that I was unhappy being forever perfect in front of other people. Little by little, I started discovering myself.

I entered college and I grew more confident. I became brave enough to flirt with Peter. He was my first love, first almost everything. But even so, he didn't see through me. He saw the girl I've always been. The prim and proper girl.

I don't hold it against him. It's partly my fault, as well.

I was closed, cautious. I couldn't help it. The only person who really knew me was Faith. That was because she had been with me as I found myself. She was the one who helped me understand that everyone had flaws. She helped me gain confidence.

However, it wasn't enough. There was still something missing.

Then last Thursday, I snapped and lost my composure. Within seconds, this particular bigger than life guy brought out the worst part of me. Besides the fact that he was the crudest person I've ever met, I think I was furious at him because he managed to break down my walls.

Ethan makes me open up so easily, which I haven't done with anyone else. He makes me forget. He makes me not care. He makes me want to live.

With only one look, he saw all of me.

Without even trying.

“Tell me more about this Ethan Tyler,” requested Peter, not even bothering to pretend like he didn't know Ethan's name. Unlike some people.

“What more is there to tell?” I sighed.

“I'm just worried.” He paused and frowned. “Don't ever go off with strangers like that. It's not safe.”

“Ethan's not a bad guy, despite what he let others think of him.”

“Good. You got lucky, then.” He brought the glass up to his lips and drank. He took a breath and returned his eyes on me. “Just please promise me you won't do something like that again.”

I looked away at the concern in his voice.

“I promise.”

Peter didn't say anything for a moment.

“Do you love him?”

The question caught me off guard, and I froze. When I gained my composure, I still refused to answer him. I focused my eyes on the people dancing afar instead.

From my peripheral vision, I saw him nod.

“You do,” he stated, as though it was a fact.

I didn't confirm it, but I didn't deny it either.

It was slightly weird talking about this with him. I took pride in the fact that we managed to stay good friends despite us breaking up. However, this was an entirely different matter. One I wasn't quite ready to share openly with him yet.

“Why did you leave him, then?”

I realized Peter wouldn't let this go. I might as well face the music. Despite it being weird, it wasn't that awkward. Not really.

I faced him, looking him straight in the eye. “I had to get back to reality at some point,” I finally said.

“Why can't he be your reality?”

“Because in the future –” I stopped.

In the future . . .

My breathing hitched up at the realization. I clutched my chest and my forehead ceased. Why on earth was I thinking like that?! Didn't I already agree to myself that I would live my life with no regrets? What happened to living in the now?

I am such an idiot. Idiot idiot idiot!

I thought I changed. I strongly believed Ethan changed me. Dammit. I was just like Peter, who let fear of the future prevent him from finding happiness.

It shouldn't have mattered to me if it won't work out in the future. What matters is that I try. We try.

Ethan.

Oh, heavens.

What if he didn't care that I left? What if he already moved on? Maybe I should turn on phone and see if he tried to call me. What if he didn't, though? That would hurt.

No! I wouldn't think of it. I wouldn't let these doubts cloud my judgment. I was still invited to Aaron and Dakota's wedding. Yes, perfect. I'd see Ethan then.

“Right,” I decided, a little surprised at the determination in my voice.

“What?”

I turned to Peter. “I'm going back to Mount Valley this Friday.”

“New Jersey?”

“Yes.”

“To see Ethan.” It wasn't a question.

“Yes.” I answered, anyway.

“Why wait 'til then?”

If truth be told, I didn't want to wait. I wanted to jump in a cab and go there right now – or perhaps ask my father if I could borrow one of his helicopters. But . . .

“I just got back in the city. It wouldn't be fair if I left so soon again.”

I just had to believe that Ethan wouldn't move on to another girl so quickly in the next few days. If he did, kicking his manly parts wouldn't be the only thing he needed to be worry about. That, I could assure him.

Peter raised his glass. “Au contraire, all is fair in love and war.”

I rolled my eyes, but smiled nonetheless.

“Or perhaps you're waiting for your dark knight to come get you?”

I frowned. I didn't even consider that. Would he?

“Looks like you don't have to wait too long.”

I raised an eyebrow at Peter. He nodded towards the wide double doors, where a newcomer just made an entrance. I had to slightly squint my eyes so that I could see clearly this far.

I gasped.

No, it can't be.

My eyes widened, my jaw dropped, and my body stilled.

Oh, my. He was really here – in New York City – in the Upper East Side – looking like every woman's ideal mouthwatering groom. My eyes weren't playing tricks on me.

Ethan Tyler is here, wearing a tuxedo.

I feel like I died and gone to heaven.

_____________

Did the little intros to the new characters cleared up the confusion? :)

What do you think will happen in the next (might be final) chapter? ;) Dun dun dunnn.

Dedicated to nrahat because you hit Todd and Ethan's personalities spot on, hence they didn't get along. The comment goes, "Todd is cool and collected unlike Ethan who is emotional and acts out." I really love your observation! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

297K 6.3K 52
Ethan Lane was your typical player. He was smooth, handsome, manly, successful and a total chick magnet. Women loved him and men wanted to be him. He...
162K 1.9K 18
Ever wondered what it's like to be a boy? You're about to find out. Love isn't meant to be easy, everybody knows that, but is it meant to be this ha...
ACCEPTABLE By Temi

Teen Fiction

2.4K 475 56
Daniella Smith a 17years old high school students is in her final year in "Middle high school"she meets Max and a new world began from there. Daniell...
2.8M 101K 74
The People Choice Awards 2019 Winner for Best Diverse Books Never had Autumn thought that she would break up with her boyfriend, Tyler, until the day...