Wolf

By notlittlebirdy

Lieutenant Amelia Irfan is best known as a combat sniper in a special operations unit called Wolf. They are a... More

Introduction - A Day at Work
Chapter 1 - Operation Bayan
Chapter 2 - Operation Belarus
Chapter 3 - Operation Cronos
Chapter 4 - Operation Titan
Chapter 5 - Operation Dawn
Chapter 6 - Operation Lazarus
Chapter 7 - Off Day!
Chapter 8 - Operation Adam
Chapter 9 - A Break After Death
Chapter 10 - Operation Welcome Home Party ( 1 Year Later)
Chapter 11 - Operation Lilith
Chapter 12 Part 1 - Operation Youth
Chapter 12 Part 2: Operation Save Me!
Chapter 13 - Operation Snow Highlands
Chapter 14 - Euphoria
Chapter 15: Batshit Crazy
Chapter 16: Home?
Chapter 17 - Sour Then Sweet
Chapter 18 - The Warring Groups
Chapter 19 - Dionysius
Chapter 20: Operation Die Hard 1
Chapter 20: Operation Die Hard II (Ishikawa Kirishima's POV)
Chapter 21 - Anpanman
Chapter 22 - Operation Newcomer
Chapter 23 - Operation Takeover
Chapter 25: War Hunting Season Part 1
Chapter 25: War Hunting Season Part 2
Chapter 26: Operation Easkerton Fortress
Chapter 27: Operation Salji Tebal
Chapter 28: Operation Yacht Date
Chapter 29 - Introducing Raikou Akihito
Chapter 30 - Operation: The Final Problem
Epilogue

Chapter 24 - Operation Kidnapped Businessman

95 6 0
By notlittlebirdy

A/N: Hello! This chapter is inspired by The Expandables 2. I hope you enjoy this!
_________________________________

As I entered the office after a round of sniper training, I came to hear the boys yelling. Their voices were so loud, I could hear them from outside and I was sure they were shouting at Gunner. With no Frank insight, they were unleashed wild beasts.

Gunner was standing on one side of the room while the rest of the boys were facing him. Wesley and Benjamin were down on the ground nursing their faces, Marcus and Quinn were checking on the two rookies while Lucas and Tom were shouting at Gunner – certain phrases caught my ear.

"... violent son-of-a bitch ..."

"If you want to teach them a lesson, this is not the way to do it!"

The trio were up at each other's faces, yelling profanities and sizing the other up – trying to drown the other's testosterone level perhaps. They were all riled up and any second, it might turn ugly. Witnessing this argument turn into a brawl was not in my to-do list but I did not want to enter at the wrong time and get punched in return.

Amidst the fiasco, I took out my mobile phone to record. We would need evidence in case it turns into an all-out brawl.

Gunner – being the taller and bigger version than the two – decided that it was time display his dominance by shoving Tom aside and grabbing Lucas by his lapels. Seeing that, the rest of the boys rose to defend him and to get him to release Lucas.

Sighing, I shouted at them to split before I came forward to hit his main part – the one part that will hurt and shatter his ego. As he fell to his knees and release Lucas, I stood towering before him.

"We are stuck with you here because there's nobody else who wants you in their team," I said severely. "If you want this job, either you shut the fuck up and listen to orders from your superiors like the soldier you are trained to be or join the motherfucking mercenaries. Hold on, why don't you do that instead and save everyone the agony, you truck-face idiot."

There was a stunned silence after I stopped talking.

"Be ready for a tribunal from HR, you two-celled bastard."

Gunner could not answer as he nursed his wounded ego.

Half an hour later, Frank came back from a meeting looking pissed, as I had sent the video to him in the group chat. He gathered everyone and gave us a round of scolding for fighting amongst teammates and once he was done, he told Gunner to be ready to be questioned by HR because his action simply cannot be overlooked.

.

Stepping out into the fog and the humidity made me crinkle my nose in annoyance. I could feel the moisture in the air weighing heavily on my skin – making it crawl with discomfort. My boots squelched underneath the soggy earth and I gave a signal over my shoulder before I set off on a run up the foggy mountain.

The armoured vehicle – in groups of three – sped off into the distance. The roar of their engines disappeared soon enough the further I went and the sounds of the forest were all I could hear.

Today's mission involved three groups as we needed the extra manpower and firepower to storm through the enemy's base. Each team has their own part to take care of but ultimately, the mission was to save a kidnapped businessman who had contributed greatly to the country.

Two snipers were supposed to be in this mission but the others were on leave, have court orders or in the hospital. So, I was alone for this mission.

I reached Point 1 within the next few minutes and took position by the edge of the cliff – hunkered down on a flat piece of boulder. I had changed to a heavier sniper rifle – the type that had longer reach and boy, was it fucking heavy. I could feel my arms screaming at me to give them a chance for rest.

Through the scope, I could see the three armoured vehicle entering the base – bulldozing through the concrete blockades at the front gates as they stormed in. Flashes of fire and sparks filled my scope. They began to shoot down any enemy that fired back, taking out anything that seemed like a threat to their survival.

"I need eyes." The Captain of Cheetah Team, Captain Kenny Lee.

I swung to the three-storey concrete building with no other furnishing. The paint had yellowed with age and weather. It looked vile through my scope. The three teams had broken off in the middle – each team completing their own mission.

"It's sealed tight," I replied. "You're alone."

He sighed. "Roger that."

I watched as they stormed the building – in an attempt to flush out the enemies and find the target. From the intel we've received, he ought to be in the basement and there's no such thing as an opened window in basements. Followed closely behind was Wolf.

"Incoming chopper!"

The Cheetah's Team's remaining members engaged the chopper, but with no effect because the bullets weren't able to reach. Frowning, I took out the binoculars to check the distance and once confirmed, I radioed in.

"Take cover," I warned as I took a shot.

The incendiary round left the powerful gun with a loud ping – breaking the sound barrier. The recoil was tough as it pushed back against my shoulder, wincing. With a second shot, the chopper spiralled down, dipped and slammed to the ground, exploding with a shower of flames, piercing glass shards and screaming metal parts.

I could hear the soldiers whooping before they joined their team in the building. Seeing them gathering at the south end, I knew they had the target alive and well.

"Get to Point 2, we're leaving!"

"Roger that."

They were unable to leave via the armoured vehicles, they had decided to use the only other way out which was to use the zip line that stretches for miles till the opened river. There, they had prepared three boats and they lay in wait for their arrival.

I left Point 1 and raced up to Point 2 – climbing up even higher.

Since the forest was fogging up, it was getting difficult for me to see so I hastened my pace. I needed to reach Point 2 while they were on the zipline – as they were potential targets. I needed to be there quick.

Hearing a grunt as soon as I reached Point 2, I looked through the scope to see Frank being shot and Lucas shooting down the enemies. Part of the zipline snapped, sending them both to the ground while the rest moved.

The target is more important.

On the ground, Frank and Lucas was surrounded by the enemies in a tight circle. I waited for the wind to shift – eyeing them through the scope to see Frank raising a single finger to the sky. I rolled my eyes – he's being dramatic.

"Are you sure that's loaded?" asked Lucas, who was playing along with the boss.

Following a scene that he saw in a movie, Frank mimed the action of a handgun with his finger. I took a shot and he mimed along, shooting them one by one. He raised a finger to the sky as thanks. Telling me to head to the rendezvous point, we broke off.

Lucas and Frank went off to get the plane that was parked by the abandoned hangar a few miles away. While the rest were having a river chase being gunned down by the enemies, I crossed the mountains and down to the hangar, to meet up with Lucas and Frank, climbing into the plane.

"Let's go!"

It was a large military aircraft, meant to carry three teams. Large wingspan and an even larger body. We were using this as our ticket out of this place.

I strapped myself in just as we got into the river, crossing to where the other two teams were busy being shot at.

"Hurry the fuck up!"

"Open up!"

Within minutes, the plane was filled with soldiers, ski jets and the target. They were all drenched and panting from exertion. As some strapped the target into a chair, the rest began to unload the ski jets out from the plane, to reduce the weight so the plane could climb.

There was a tall bridge in the distance that the plane needs to climb over, before it turns to the east to pick up the rest of the soldiers who were waiting at the second rendezvous point.

As soon as the last ski jet was gone from the belly of the plane, the boys strapped themselves in as we felt the plane gradually tilt upwards.

The turbulence, the unsteady shaking and the creaking of every bolt and nut turned even the strongest stomachs. I shut my eyes as I gripped the harness tightly – praying under my breath for the plane to gain enough kick to climb over the tall bridge.

"Climb, baby!"

The pilot this time was none other than my friend, Carol since she was the most adept in handling tough situations like this.

The plane tilted sideways, as the engine groaned in protest, I could feel myself following the plane's trajectory, my stomach turning with the gravity's pull. As we rose higher in latitude, the red alarm stopped bleeping and the plane finally levelled, the rest of the soldiers sighing collectively.

"Folks, we have finally left the dreadful nation and we'd be reaching home within four to six hours max," came the pilot's voice. "Sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of the ride."

I unbuckled the harness and sat comfortably. We had three teams with us today including ours, so the plane was full.

"Hey, you're one of Wolf right?" a random soldier tried to initiate conversation on my left. "Nice to meet you, my name's Ed."

"Oh hello, I'm Amelia," I introduced myself.

Eyeing his lapels, and epaulettes, I knew who he was. Sergeant Edward Connor from the Cheetah Team.

I fell silent and took out my book – intending to read a few pages before sleeping the rest of the journey home. He went on with his business, and soon, the plane went quiet as the rest of the soldiers went to sleep.

Rocked awake by the sudden shift of the plane's trajectory, the blaring of the alarm and Carol's insistent voice via the speaker, I gathered the harness and buckled up just in time when the plane started tilting upwards, spiralling, making our stomachs drop.

"... expecting a few stragglers ... shit they're very insistent! Activate ... release the missiles! Good ... good ... buckle up your seatbelt people we're going for a ride!"

We could not have time to let out a scream when the plane started dipping sharply, and spiralled into three-sixty degrees, holding us upside down for good few seconds before righting. I gripped onto the harness hard, keeping my head to the side as I swallowed the scream, my legs floating at every spin.

This is great, I thought in panic. This is great! I winced as the plane dipped again and I braced for the sudden turn, holding onto the harness as if my life depended on it. As soon as the plane levelled once again, I took deep shuddering breaths to calm down, my heart hammering right up to my throat.

"Mayday! Mayday! Requesting back-up!" Carol's voice appeared in the speaker. She sounded urgent. "Mayday! Mayday! We need air support stat! We're being pursued by two aircrafts fitted with weaponry my fucking plane can't counter!"

"You good, Ed?" the sergeant looked pale but he nodded firmly. I don't think I'd be able to withstand another sudden tumble roll.

This certainly was not how I imagined going home! I thought frantically, the whole plane creaking and groaning as it fought against turbulence, enemy plane fighters. Hearing nothing but the roar of the plane's engine, other soldier's frantic voices, and my own loud heartbeat.

A loud explosion erupted to our left, jarring our bones, causing the plane to start dipping down and trying to bank right. I knew that we had lost the left engine, and Carol was trying her hardest to keep the plane levelled as she brings it down.

We were nowhere near our home soil, but that thought was lost because staying alive and landing safely was the most important thing right now.

Shaken awake, I opened my eyes to a blurred and worried-looking Ed who was calling my name repeatedly, looked relieved before he helped unlock the harness. Cautioning me, he grabbed me from falling and it took me time to regain the strength in my legs.

The plane had landed sideways; the seats were at a steep angle.

Looking around, I saw the soldiers helping their neighbour get out from the harness, searching for their fallen comrade, and getting them back up. There was a low murmur. The plane was still intact somehow, but there was a huge hole on the back right of the plane, probably taking a huge number of soldiers with it.

Seeing the extent of wreak made my stomach jolt and sank down quickly. The situation turned dire. It was terrifying, monstrous. How many did we lose? Where are my team members? Trying not to think, I tried to look for the familiar faces.

"Ed, go find your members," I said urgently as I stepped amidst the wreckage with shaking legs, trying to search through the mess, to look for my missing comrades while Ed peeled off to the side in search for his own.

I lifted a metal piece of sheet, hearing it groan in protest. Where are they? I do not see anyone below; I set it back down and went forward. I helped carry those who were stuck in their seats, removing some obstructions.

Worry and dread filled my gut, increasing my fears while I helped.

"Amelia!"

"Amelia! Over here!"

Heart in throat, I whirled around to see Q waving furiously by the opposite side of the plane and one by one, I could see the boys appearing. They looked dishevelled but fine. They were alive. Relieved, I ran to them and threw myself at Q, hugging him tightly.

"We couldn't find you!"

"We were so worried!"

"Let's heads outside."

As we stepped out of the wreckage and onto foreign soil, the others had set up a makeshift area to treat those who were injured. We separated. No one said a word as they did their jobs, some were attempting to radio in to HQ, some were setting up makeshift tents, and some were gathering dry firewood, while others helped to search for food and water.

I saw Carol seated amidst the injured and went up to her. She looked ashen and shaken so I rested a hand on her shoulder. She was the best pilot that we have, we were lucky we survived. "You did well," I said quietly.

Her cold hand squeezed my own in return. We said nothing more and I left to help.

Stranded for three days, we amused ourselves with whatever item that we had with us while our government grappled with the country's government to get us out of there safely. While they were busy dealing with administration, we were busy soaking up the sun, playing songs on guitars, and barbecuing the food we caught in the desert. On the fourth day, the military sent a plane and an elite squadron to get us out of there.

It was the wee hours of the morning. The sentry woke us all up, claiming that they made contact and within a few hours, they'd arrived to rescue us so we needed to get ready.

Immediately, we set off to dismantle the makeshift tents, ensure the injured soldiers are flight ready and by the time we got everything packed, we could hear the planes coming.

We were giddy with relief when we boarded the plane and strapped on, ensuring the injured were comfortable. The remaining hours of flight were spent with sleep, too exhausted to stay awake. The excitement of finally heading home were lost in the air.

As soon as we landed, we did not pass through immigration but went to the military hospital instead. They wanted to ensure that we were all right. Four days missing, the military had to inform our family members because we could see them crowded in the lobby.

The emergency ward was filled with soldiers, the ones injured were whizzed inside first while we waited to be checked.

Upon getting service, my mobile began to ring and multiple messages were received. Telling Amalina that I was back home safe, she told me that Kirishima would be there to pick me up as they were at my place. I didn't question why they were there and told her I'll call him once I was done.

"I'm glad you're safe."

"I'll always come back to you."

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

971 95 15
Jackson 'Arctic' Fox, elite sniper within a FORCECON unit, specializing in black ops, comes to familiar territory to settle a debt with a large targe...
15.9K 691 16
"𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨 𝙖𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙝? 𝙄'𝙡𝙡 𝙜𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖 𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙮 𝙩𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙤𝙪𝙩." Only one of Gotham's vigilantes is a...
429 61 33
When the Vesperian Empire invaded Taurrika, Taurran patriot and sniper Ohlya Zivinyas answered the call. For four long years, she and her valiant cou...
318 7 9
Get up. Gear on. Load out. At this point in her life, Petty Officer Eden Castillo-Summers had it down to which boot she ties first. After 4 years of...