Spy School: Trust (Completed)

By PinkBooksMusic

Ben Ripley, Erica Hale and Mike Brezinski have all lost their friends. Whoever was closest to them no longer... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 2

2.5K 19 71
By PinkBooksMusic

Enjoy Chapter 2!

Ben's POV

"Why, Ben, you've changed," Joshua said, only his voice didn't sound menacing, evil, threatening, or anything else of that sort.

"Josh," was all that Erica got out of her mouth. She stared at him, wide eyed. She fell back onto the couch in shock.

"I'm alive and well, and I'm standing in front of you," Joshua said. "I'm surprised that the nickname is still stuck."

"What-" I started, but Joshua cut me off.

"Have a seat," he said, making himself comfortable on the couch as well. "I'll explain everything. Jess, can you get them something to drink?"

Jessica brought us some lemonade and she took a seat next to her brother as well. Joshua looked at us expectantly.

I noticed how he had changed. He had darker brown hair that fell into his face. His robotic arm and leg had been replaced with artificial limbs. He still had his eye patch, though-a recognizable trait.

"So, how's life?" Joshua finally asked.

"Get to the point," I said. "What did-"

Joshua laughed. It wasn't an evil laugh, though-just a normal laugh that you laughed when you heard a very funny joke. "I'll tell you everything."

Erica shook her head. "I don't get a thing."

"So the last time you saw me was about eleven and a half years ago, back when you took down SPYDER. In the end, I fell out of the tower bridge. I didn't die. Some very kind people who found me took me to the ER where I had to go through intense surgery. About seven months later, I had completely changed. I had gotten better limbs that are easier to use," Joshua explained.

"Do you know RATT?" Erica asked.

Joshua shook his head. "I've never heard of it. Anyways, I came here, then I bought a house with my sister and we've been living here ever since."

"Are you still evil?" I asked.

He laughed. "Oh, heck no. the only evil I've done in the past ten years is steal Jessica's sundress on her birthday as a prank."

Erica looked at me, not able to believe anything that he just said. I looked back at her with the same confused expression.

"So...why are we here?" Erica asked.

"I came to know about you not long ago," Joshua explained. "I wanted to meet you and tell you everything that happened."

I eyed him suspiciously, not wanting to believe him.

"You can trust me," he said. "I know you trusted me, Erica, and I betrayed you, and I defected to SPYDER, and I did evil, but all I'm asking for is a second chance."

"A second chance?" Erica and I repeated together.

"Yes," he said. "I want a second chance at friendship."

Erica shook her head. "After all you've done to me? After you betrayed me? How are we supposed to believe you?"

"Trust me, I've changed," he said. "I promise."

"Can we tell you later?" I asked.

Joshua sighed. "Alright."

We got up to leave. Joshua headed upstairs, and Jessica opened the door for us and waved goodbye.

"Did that just happen?" Erica asked.

I nodded. "I can't believe it either."

The rest of the ride we were in complete silence. Neither of us spoke a word.

"I'll go make something to eat," Erica said, disappearing into the kitchen as soon as we entered the house. I settled on the couch and scrolled through the texts on my phone, not really having anything to do.

A while later Erica came out with some sandwiches, juice and fruit on a plate. She set it down in front of me and grabbed one sandwich for herself before heading upstairs. "I'm going to get back to work, Ben."

I nodded and she disappeared into the room. I ate my food while scrolling through social media.

About ten minutes later my phone rang. It was Mike.

"Hey, Mike."

"Ben! Can I come over?" he asked.

"Yeah, sure."

"Okay. See ya."

Three minutes later Mike's SUV was in my driveway. He came in and settled on my couch. I filled him in about Joshua.

"No kidding," he said. "Seriously?"

"He wants a second chance," I said. Mike laughed.

"You never know when he can turn on you. He's Joshua Hallal."

"I guess," I said. "But he's changed."

"I sure hope Jenny comes back soon," Mike said. "It's pretty lonely at home."

I nodded. "Erica lives right with me and yet we never have time to spend together."

Mike opened his mouth to say something, but then shook his head and closed it. "Never mind."

"What?" I asked, curious.

"You're going to hate me for saying this," Mike said, "but I seriously think that you should just break it off with her. Maybe just for now, if not forever."

I stared at my best friend in shock. "Are you kidding me?"

Mike instantly grew serious. "Ben, think about it. You have a girlfriend whose job is so hectic that she barely ever has time to see you in the night, let alone in the morning. You don't see her for days in a row. She's known the secrets of your family, your life and your friends way before even you have. Yet whenever you asked her, she ignored you and never told you anything at all. She has kept secrets from you, she still keeps secrets from you and I'm pretty sure she will in the future."

"Nope." I shook my head.

"Yes," he said. "Relationships are supposed to be trustworthy and non-secretive, right? What if she goes for Joshua again? What if she-"

"She will never do that," I said, still unconvinced, but a doubt was starting to form in my head.

Mike sighed. "Ben, I know about love, romance and relationships way more than you do. I can tell when a relationship isn't stable."

Just then, Erica's phone buzzed. She left it downstairs. There were messages, so I unlocked her phone, knowing she wouldn't mind.

As soon as I opened up the messages, there was a conversation that Erica had with Joshua. My eyes widened in horror as I tapped on it. Mike leaned in closer to see. I scrolled to the very beginning, which was about a week ago.

Joshua: Hi.

Erica: Who is this?

Joshua: Joshua. We were on the phone yesterday, remember?

Erica: Oh yeah. This is your new number?

Joshua: Yeah. so, anyways, see you later.

Erica: 😊

I gasped. "What the-"

"I told you," Mike said. "Go on."

The next set of texts was only yesterday.

Joshua: Erica

Erica: Hey.

Joshua: We haven't been talking for five days.

Erica: Right.

Joshua: I need to see you 😊

Erica: what

Erica: what do you mean

Joshua: Come to my house

Erica: With Ben?

Joshua: yes. He needs to know I'm alive

Erica; yeah but

Joshua: but what

Erica: if he finds out that I'm keeping secrets from him...

Joshua: Nah. you'll be fine. Just act like you have absolutely no idea.

Erica: Yeah

Erica: cya then

Joshua: always waiting.

Erica: 😊

I was so shocked that I dropped the phone from my hand. It fell to the floor and the glass cracked.

"Ben? Are you okay?" Mike asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Ben?"

I was too shocked. I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. My mouth was dry.

Erica had betrayed me. She knew about Joshua all along. She knew everything. Yet she acted like she didn't know, and like a blind fool I had gone along with it. Tears stung the corners of my eyes as I struggled to believe what had just happened.

"Ben?" Mike asked one final time. "You good?"

I nodded, because that was all I could do.

He squeezed my hand. "Oh, Ben, I'm so sorry. I didn't know that she would-"

"I'll go talk to her," I said.

"Okay then," Mike said. "I'll go home now. You take care of what you need to take care of."

With that, Mike left, leaving me hanging. I decided that the first thing I needed to do was walk up to Erica.

I could hear her shut the laptop just as I stood outside her room. I turned the doorknob and opened the door with a heavy heart.

"Ben!" Erica exclaimed. "What's up?"

I looked at her and my heart shattered into a million pieces.

"I don't want to do this thing anymore."

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.8K 767 24
It was just a normal day at Spy School. It was supposed to be a routine extraction. Nothing too dangerous, and definitely nothing life threatening. T...
27.4K 372 15
Erica Hale gets recruited for a crucial mission at SPYDER, but something goes terribly wrong. Ben Ripley is shocked and a huge betrayal shakes Spy Sc...
47.4K 479 21
After Ben, Erica and the gang finally defeat SPYDER once and for all, a sudden unexpected shock wave hits their brains upon reaching spy school. This...
84.6K 694 30
"I sighed and put my head in my hands. I told her everything. I told her everything about my dream. I told her about how we had kissed there. I told...