The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

By The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... More

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 7: Allies?
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 11: Uncertainty
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters
Chapter 19: Watch Your Back
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers
Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom

699 33 3
By The3meraldQueen

Third Person P.O.V.

Arthur watches anxiously whilst Merlin works to stop Edythe's leg and shoulder from bleeding. His sister has begun to turn an unnatural pale blue. Merlin had been worried by Edythe's actions, choosing to run away with such wounds. It hadn't surprised the servant when she blacked out from blood loss.

Arthur had been a stricken mess ever since, praying for Edythe to pull through. He blamed himself for all that had occurred.

The knights have kept themselves busy, collecting firewood, attending to the horses and securing the perimeter. They try their hardest not to check up on Edythe too often, knowing Merlin needs to concentrate on the task at hand. Percival forced Gwaine off to collect water, the Knight being too concerned for Edythe, getting on everyone's nerves. Leon appears just as worried as Gwaine, doing a better job at containing his emotions. He silently checks in every so often.

It hadn't taken Arthur long into the journey before he told his closest knights the reason for Edythe's leaving. All were shocked, Arthur still coming to with the concept himself. The King made it clear why he had to find and bring her home, which the others easily understood. Elyan noted the specious resemblance that everyone noticed but chose to ignore.

The night prior made sense to Leon, Edythe's words are replaying in the knight's mind. No matter how many times he apologised to Arthur for letting her leave, and no matter how many times Arthur reassured him, Leon still felt guilty. Because of this, Leon was usually at the head of the group, determined to find Edythe and reassure Arthur.

No one could say why Edythe had chosen to leave. They had as many questions as Arthur, wanting to know why she had chosen against staying, to know her brother. There were many questions they asked Arthur, who couldn't say, as he would like answers himself.

Arthur has so many questions, even watching as life wisps away from her in front of him. The thought of losing someone he has barely got to know pains him beyond imagination. He wishes to have one last connection, any connection with his parents.

The King's eyes are drawn from Edythe as Merlin stands with a loud sigh. The servant looks tired and worn from worry.

"Is she going to be okay?" Arthur asks, his voice sounding out of place after the long silence.

"I...I don't know," Merlin answers in a low voice, shoulders slump. "I've done everything I can...but I'm not sure-" he cuts mid-sentence, the pained expression on Arthur's face speaking a thousand words. "I'm not sure she'll make it through the night...."

Arthur lets out a breath of air he didn't realise he had been holding, tears glistening his eyes. His eyes fall on Edythe, pale but sleeping soundly. Arthur grinds his teeth, feeling the emotions hit his heart hard. The image of his father dying in his arms crosses his mind. Merlin doesn't say a word, passing the King to refresh and find some herbs that might help. Might.

Gwaine enters the camp, catching sight of Arthur, who slowly falls to his knees by Edythe. Tears silently fall down his face as he takes his sister's hand in his own. The firewood falls to Gwaine's feet, catching everyone's attention. All eyes follow Gwaine's gaze, all feeling the pain reach out to their hearts.

Gwaine turns to venture back into the forest, overtaken with denial, refusing to accept what lies behind him. Anger pulses through him, causing the knight to kick away stone. Elyan quickly follows the Knight, hoping to calm him down.

Percival and Leon take a seat by the fire already started, heads hung low as the atmosphere takes over everyone's emotions and thoughts.

Amidst the grief, no one notices the figure creeping through the forest in a swift elegant motion. The figure almost seems a part of the forest itself. He enters the camp without a single word. His gaze falls on the pale woman whose life holds on by a thread. Glancing up, Percival notices the older man, jumping to his feet defensively, sword in hand. Leon follows in pursuit, the two alert of this new figure.

The older man raises his hands in peace, pulling the hood of his cloak from his head.

"You..." Leon whispers, his eyes wide at the familiar face he had seen only a year ago. A man whom he never thought he'd see again. The man he never got to thank for saving his life.

Now aware of the man, Arthur draws his sword, standing protectively in front of Edythe.

"I am Iseldir", the man greets, bowing to the King. "It appears we meet again, Arthur Pendragon."

"Y-you're Iseldir?"

Arthur has met this man on a few occasions, never having caught his name. Edythe had told of the man who had raised her, Iseldir. Arthur did not imagine the druid to be the same person. The King is overcome with regret under some of the circumstances he had met this man and how he had treated him.

"Yes. And I mean no harm," Iseldir assures, taking a step toward Arthur, motioning to the Edythe behind him. "I am here for Edythe."

"How did you know where she'd be?"

"I've had my mind connected to hers from the moment she set foot in Camelot", Iseldir explains. "I felt her leave and knew I had to find her."

The druid nods toward Edythe once more, asking permission to pass Arthur. The King gives a gentle nod, knowing that Edythe trusts Iseldir, so he would be right to as well. Iseldir kneels beside the woman, placing his hand on her forehead. He whispers words under his breath. Despite knowing Iseldir will and can use magic, Arthur doesn't protest. Edythe has called him very powerful and kind.

"Life has almost left her", Iseldir whispers.

He quickly grabs Edythe's hands, pulling them into his own. The man begins to utter words from another language that Arthur doesn't know. His voice is firm as he digs deep inside his power for the strength to bring Edythe back. To heal her wounds.

Merlin enters the camp, herbs in hand as he catches sight of Iseldir. He joins Leon and Percival, watching in shock as the druid mutters words. Merlin listens carefully, never having heard such a spell in his life, confused by it.

Iseldir lets out one last roar of the unknown language, his eyes glowing bright gold. The forest falls silent. Arthur and everyone else hopefully looks on Edythe. Her skin begins to glow with a small light that sends sparks all through her veins. The light disappears under her clothes, toward her covered wounds. Where the light had been, Edythe now looks healthier, more alive in the path left behind.

Arthur lets out a breath of relief as Iseldir reaches across to her leg, pulling back the fabric to reveal nothing but a scab. A bruise is now in place of the stab wound. Even the Knights and Merlin watching, sigh.

"She will rest now", Iseldir assures.

"Thank you", Arthur offers, hand on Iseldir's shoulder.

"Of course", Iseldir offers ", Edythe is my family."

That sentence takes Arthur back. Arthur truly understands how different Edythe is to himself for the first time. This is what she meant when stating their opposite lives. Of course, he knew she came from an entirely different life, but he never considered what Edythe wanted. She has friends-family in the life she had before Camelot.

Arthur wonders if that's why she left. Was it because she didn't want to lose the family she already had? Was all her changing for people she wished to return to? Is he a wrinkle in the life she wishes for?

Iseldir notices the King's thought, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Do not worry, Arthur. I will talk with her. She will see sense. Edythe does want to live in Camelot, and she does want you as a brother. She just needs guidance from a familiar face from her old life. Reassurance that everything is real."

"How can you be so sure?" Arthur asks in a whisper, watching confused as Iseldir stands, walking over to the fire. Percival and Leon oversee the man as he takes a seat on a log seated by the fire. Arthur quickly follows.

Iseldir's stern gaze falls on the coals of the fire. "Because I have seen so."

"Seen?" Merlin repeats, taking a seat across from Iseldir on the other side of the fire.

Iseldir's eyes fall on Merlin, giving him a soft smile in recognition. The unspoken secret of Merlin lingers between them. "My powers are growing, and as it seems, I have developed the rare gift of sight...of course, nowhere near as powerful as those born with such power."

"For me, I only see small portions. Nothing truly makes sense, but some I can piece together", Iseldir explains. "As Edythe may have told you, I can reach out to others' minds. I can only see for those I am connected to."

"The connection between Edythe and I is very strong. Therefore, I have more vivid visions."

"You said you saw her in Camelot earlier", Arthur states, lost in thought, "do you still see her there?"

"Oh yes," Iseldir agrees. "I have seen much of her in Camelot. Much of her fate lies with friends and family alike. She'll find more in Camelot than she knows. Some with whom she does not yet see in the light she will," Iseldir observes, his eyes falling on Leon for a moment. He quickly diverts his gaze with a warm smile on his face.

"How can I ensure she'll stay?"

"Learn about her, understand her", Iseldir lists ", trust in fate, all will fall into place."

The group falls silent as Gwaine and Elyan emerge from the now dark forest, the sun a distant memory. The two look around the group surrounding the fire, eyes in confusion. With no explanation, their gaze falls on Edythe, fearing the worst. They find her looking much more alive and sleeping peacefully.

Gwaine barely forms the words on his lips before Merlin answers, "This is Iseldir. He came to help Edythe. He's a friend."

Elyan and Gwaine share a glance, the two shrugging as if finding this kind of behaviour regular. "So...she's going to okay then?" Gwaine asks, voice low as the two take a seat.

"She'll wake soon, I imagine", Iseldir answers, giving the knight a reassuring nod.

"You raised Edythe", Arthur states, intrigued to find out more about Edythe now that he has the chance. "W-what was she like?"

"Stubborn", Iseldir groans, causing the group to chuckle. "But she always has been, and through it, she's taught me a great ordeal."

The men hang off Iseldir's every word, intrigued to learn of the woman they know very little of. Not to mention she is a lost princess, Arthur's sister.

"When we found her in the forest, no one was prepared to take her. The letter and circumstance seemed too suspicious. But I knew I could sense the rare magical gift she had. Long she has suppressed it because of the power it can create."

"No matter how much I taught her, she preferred adventure and sword fighting over such things. I taught her what little healing I know, and she seemed to take to that like a duck to water, among other things...."

"Yet, not all sorcerers believe in peace. Not all druid leaders believe in suppressing power. They wished to teach her to use the gifts...thought they could be used for...well, I'm unsure."

"I knew I didn't want that life for her. All kinds of witches and warlocks have been taken from their families to be trained, which isn't always bad. I just knew...that wasn't Edythe...."

"So I took her away. We wouldn't often stay with a group of druids for longer than necessary. Until we found a good group, who believe in a...great power." Iseldir's eyes avert to Merlin. "They believe in the new world you, Arthur Pendragon, will create."

"Edythe, however," Iseldir continues, rolling his eyes at the thought. "Simply didn't want to serve life waiting for a free world. Instead, she longed to be a part of it no matter what. I respected her wishes...even when Jackson...well, we won't talk of him...when she chooses to leave. I agreed. I thought that was best for her."

"Now I see it was", he finishes, turning to look at the peacefully sleeping woman.

"You say...she has great power?" Merlin questions.

"I wouldn't worry about it", Iseldir reassures. "She does not wish for it, and she will not try to look for it again...not until 'hell freezes over'" Iseldir quotes, chuckling, remembering Edythe's words.

Everyone's attention turns to Edythe as she stirs in her sleep. Iseldir turns to the group, standing. Arthur follows in pursuit. "I suggest you all stay here", Iseldir advises. "It'll make it easier if I talk to her before any of you."

Arthur nods understanding, wanting more than anything for Edythe to just come home. "Just don't let her run."

"You have my word."

Edythe's P.O.V.

The darkness morphs into several disturbing figures, leaving me in a restless slumber. The pain in my leg seems like a distant memory as I allow the darkness to consume me, my shoulder a distant warm fuss. Soon my whole body seems like a distant memory as I'm pulled ever further into the never-ending abyss. I don't fight against it as the cloud seems far easier to bear than what I have left in the world behind me.

But the abyss begins to fall away from me as if something or someone is pulling me back to the surface. I reluctantly give in to the powerful force, wanting to return to the easy, simpler world of darkness. My body begins to return to me, my leg and shoulder pulsing with an uncomfortable shiver.

I now feel the bliss of peaceful sleep, aware of the world surrounding me, but less agonising as it was. I stay in this beautiful state for a while longer, consciousness soon returning to me.

The hum of voices reaches my ears, stirring me from sleep. The voices become silent, bringing me to crack my eyes open.

It's night, shadows bouncing off the forest with the flicker of flame. My eyes adjust some more, to which I notice the figure seated in front of me. For a moment, I'm in a daze, trying to focus on his face, feeling my eyes widen as I see my mentor's face. My father figure...

"Iseldir?" I question, pulling myself to sit.

My eyes find the others seated a few feet away around the fire, all eyes in my direction. I scan across the Knights of Camelot, the memories from earlier playing in my head. The feeling that I get makes me wish I was still asleep and that the void had taken me to whatever place it wanted.

"We have much to discuss", Iseldir states, hand placed on my shoulder to direct my gaze to him. Iseldir begins to stand. "Come."

As I stand, my body aches, leg tender as I put pressure on it. I look down, expecting to find a horrific sight. I don't. Instead, I find the bloody mess is no longer there, replaced with scabbing and bruising. My hand rushes toward my shoulder, seeing the tender flesh is also scabbed. There's no doubt Iseldir had used magic, thus the force that pulled me from the abyss. Iseldir must have saved my life.

As I turn to follow the druid, I give the watching group another glance. Arthur appears the most uneasy. His eyes still have the same pleading notion as they did before I fell unconscious. I turn to follow Iseldir, realising that my leg is still restricting movement and my shoulder.

I join Iseldir in a small open plain, the moonlight lighting up the small natural circle in a haunting blue. The distant murmur of voices and fire crackle make the atmosphere less daunting—calm washes over me.

"Arthur has been worried sick", Iseldir offers, gaze looking to the moon. My own eyes follow his to look up at the pale orb, its white light soothing. "The others as well. They feared you would not make it through the night."

"Would that be so bad?" I counter, a sigh escaping my lips, eyes falling to the ground in regret, "would save much trouble."

"Would it?" Iseldir rebuttals, now turning to face me, hands together in front of him. I always hated how natural he looked, no matter the situation. "And in the grief of what could have been, would that be good for Arthur? For Camelot? For Albion?"

I slump my shoulders, hating how easily Iseldir makes an argument, how all his points are always valid. Iseldir has always known how to guilt-trip me. "Perhaps not...but how will becoming Arthur's sister help any three of those points?"

"Edythe. Do you not remember what Ivo had told you? Do you not remember my message?"

I frown, thinking back to the horrid time of the stone and what Ivo had said.

"...The path that you lead after this is important to all who abide by the old religion...." Ivo's voice echoes in my mind, a distant memory, almost seems a dream of another time, another world.

Iseldir's words are next to cross my mind "Camelot is your destiny. There you will find what you seek...."

"Both you and Ivo told me Camelot is my destiny", I whisper, lost in thought. I didn't know what either meant at the time, but now it makes sense. Arthur has turned out to be my Brother, binding my life to Camelot. "You meant Arthur."

"Not exactly", Iseldir objects. "You see, Arthur is one of many obstacles in your path. Arthur's destiny is entwined with Albion's, and yours is connected to both. You do not yet see it, but one day you will."

"So, you still believe in Emrys?"

Iseldir smirks as if I had told him a funny joke. "He's closer than you think...Even now, Emrys is knitting destiny together."

I take in all Iseldir has said, my body too tired to even think about running. Every cell in my body yells that running is best if I want to help Camelot or Albion even. But Iseldir speaks the truth. He never lies about these kinds of matters. Iseldir has always been the logical of the two of us. I've always been driven by self-interest, whereas Iseldir always has thought of others. Somehow, he's always managed to convince me of such ways when necessary, but I return to old habits as soon as he is gone.

I know deep down that running will only make matters worse. Thinking back to Arthur's pleas in that valley...he'll never give up. I could run to the end of the earth, and he'd follow me. I know in my heart that I want to go to Camelot. Go home.

I sigh. "How do I fix things?"

"Arthur will forgive you. He already has. He needs...reassurance."

"Reassurance?"

"Talk with him. Everything will fall in place," Iseldir assures, strolling toward the dark forest.

I step forward in confusion. "Where are you going?"

"I am no longer needed here."

"But-" I start, rushing after him. "When will I see you again?" I ask, choosing not to fight with him, knowing he probably has other places to be: destiny to follow and all that stuff. I also understand that this is my mess, and I need to fix it.

Iseldir pauses to face me, a kind smile on his aged face. "When you need me most."

This saddens me, this being the first time I've seen Iseldir in years, and I haven't even got to talk to him properly. There's so much I want to tell him, to hear what he's been doing, catch up. I've been learning about the significance of people in my life recently, and I now see that family does mean a lot. Even if I didn't realise I had one until now. I now know that Iseldir was my family. For that, I'm thankful, now understanding all he has told and taught me, wishing I hadn't taken it all for granted.

"I-I miss you", I croak, feeling the tears welling up in my eyes.

Iseldir's face softens, taking a few more steps toward me, pulling me into a tight embrace. "I miss you too," he whispers into my hair as I return the tight hug. I close my eyes, enjoying the feeling I never realised I had missed for so long. "Don't forget to return that emerald in your pocket."

I chuckle, sniffing back tears. Iseldir releases me, pulling back from the hug. As I open my eyes, I find nothing but a dark forest. My eyes search for him, but I don't find Iseldir anywhere. This brings the tears.

"Goodbye, Iseldir", I sob, biting my lip. I turn in pursuit of the fire, patting my pants. I'm almost surprised to feel the hard-emerald stone still sitting in there despite the chaos.

I'm glad that the stone had found its way back to me, knowing that I'll be able to fix the wrong I have done. This way, I also know Arthur is safe, Morgana failing in whatever plan she had.

The fire comes into view—time to face the music.

I dawdle, not hoping to arrive at my destination too fast, knowing what I must do but dreading what may occur. I need to put my own needs aside for once, which I'm still learning to do. I'm still learning my own emotions, so it was only human to retreat to what I knew. In the end, though, I need to think of what Arthur wants and what I should do. Not just for myself and Arthur but also for the future.

I now know I'm a part of something bigger than myself, and I see that Arthur won't let this go either. He'll quite literally follow me anywhere if I keep running. And I know I can't run forever, especially with this leg being so tender. The best I can do now is to face him. To speak truthfully, even if I hurt and tarnish my pride along the way.

The men fall silent as I emerge from the forest, tears still evident in my eyes and dry on my cheeks. Arthur is the first to stand, the others following in union, looking to me silently. I stopped a few feet back from the group, scratching my arm awkwardly and avoiding anyone's eyes.

"Where's Iseldir?" Merlin asks, disrupting the silence.

I wipe my tears, sniffing. "He-uh...he left...said he wasn't needed here anymore...."

The group falls silent again, no one wanting to be the first to talk, or maybe none of us knows what to say. But I know for sure that I need to be the one to apologise, to make things right.

I finally gain the courage, looking to Arthur. "Can we...talk for a minute?" I ask, motioning toward the forest.

"Of course", Arthur nods, following as we both walk toward the forest.

The two of us are silent, both walking in union. I can feel the tension, the anticipation. My heart pounds through my chest, making me wish I could vanish into thin air. We come to a stop, the fire and knights still in sight. I can feel Arthur's eyes on me, making me more uncomfortable. I continue to fiddle with anything I can as I try to think of any words that can justify the horrible thing that I had done.

In truth, no matter what I said, I was clear that I was selfish and chose to do what was best for myself, not for anyone else. Myself.

"I don't want an apology", Arthur offers, speaking first. "I understand. The situation was daunting. In truth, we have that in common. I'd rather resolve my problems with a sword, and you'd rather avoid it. I understand."

"I should be the one comforting you, Arthur, not the other way around," I whisper, still unable to look him in the eye. "I did a shitty thing. A horrible thing. I left. Even after you made it clear you were accepting. Even after I saw the pain of realising how much your Father...our father...had hidden from you."

"I should have handled my emotions better, I should have faced the truth, rather than run from it...but that's what I do. I run. I ran from my upbringing. I ran from my wrongs, I ran from allowing myself to feel, and last, of all...I ran from allowing myself to be happy. To have someone...to have a family. And that is why I'm a horrible person. I don't think about anyone else but myself. I'm trying so hard to leave that person behind-"

"I don't want you to change", Arthur assures, his hands resting on my shoulders. I freeze, the air becomes heavy. "You have led a completely different life, and I understand that. I respect that. I don't want you to feel as though I'm going to make you change...I'm just happy to know you. To know I have family left, someone tied to my mother and father. Not brought to me by hatred or by loss. Just by fate."

"Good..." I smile softly, tears in my eyes. "I want to know you as well. To get to know you."

"I know that no amount of time can replace what we haven't had-"

"We'll make the most of what we have then."

"Agreed", Arthur smiles. This time, I'm the first to pull Arthur into a tight embrace, regretting that this wasn't how our reunion was the first time. It should have been this way.

"No celebration then?" I croak, trying to lighten the mood as tears threaten to escape us both.

Still holding me tight, Arthur offers, "Not unless you wish so."

"That's a no, then."

The two of us share a chuckle, pulling back from our embrace. Still holding hands as we begin to venture back to the group. I know it will take more than this to fix things, but at least for now, it will do. I'm unsure where the future will take me, but at least for now, I can try and strive for that future. For Arthur and myself. For the new friends, I have made.

"How did Agravaine react?" I ask, genuinely curious how my new uncle sees me. Only now remembering that Arthur isn't my only living relative.

"Uh-yeah. I haven't told him yet," Arthur answers in a low tone, teeth gritted as he's reminded of the task at hand.

I raise an eyebrow. "Well, that's going to be fun...oh, and uh-" I reach into my pocket, lifting the stone to Arthur ", I stole from the volts."

We pause our walk. Arthur is taken aback when he sees the green glow. The emerald causes us both to squint at the sudden light in the darkness of the night. Arthur reaches for the stone, taking it in hand and looking over it curiously. The stone seems to have the same effect on everyone who encounters it.

My heart pounds again, concerned if this minor detail will change the outcome of our conversation. The longer I wait for Arthur to respond, his thoughts firing as he looks at the stone, I feel the tiredness beginning to weave its way back. My body begins to ache once more, my shoulder and leg becoming numb in an uncomfortable way. It's a cruel way of reminding me that magic doesn't completely heal wounds.

"You never cease to amaze me, Edythe", Arthur observes, eyes coming off the stone to look at me. I expect to see a disapproving look on Arthur's face instead, finding a smirk and glint in his eye.

"How so?" I ask hesitantly.

"We never knew this was missing", He responds, amused "you do live up to that reputation I've heard of."

A smile grows on my face, cheeks heating up, relief taking over. "Well... I can't be accused of a crime if nobody knows of the crime."

"What crime?" Arthur questions, placing the stone into a small pouch of coins on his hip. The light completely disappears. I give Arthur a smirk, catching on to what he is doing.

He shrugs, "I don't know what crime you're referring to."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 191 15
The second book of Merlynn series sees our hero battle deadly assassins, magical monsters and ever more powerful sorcerers as she strives to fulfill...
20.3K 506 15
The mythical city of Camelot, in a time before history began. A fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious peoples. A dangerous worlds in w...
75.1K 1.1K 30
This is a bunch of BBC Merlin one shots because I love Merlin and all his people. I don't do Merthur sorry. I do take suggestions and propmts! I DON...
10.1K 224 11
Based in the BBC Merlin universe with one small twist based around the character of Gwaine