In All Her Glory

By jedidiah17

After one full year of abuse from her stepdad, Sharon decides she's had enough. On a tragic day, she runs awa... More

•PREFACE•
•01. In Constraint•
•02. In Flight Mode•
•03. In-dependence•
•04. In Prescott•
•05. In-composure•
•06. In the Pridelands•
•07. In Distress•
•08. In Awe•
•09: In Tension•
•10: In His Presence•
•11: In Tune•
•12: In Equilibrium•
•13: In-Sane•
•15: In Perfection•
•16: In Enchantment•

•14: In Love•

751 122 14
By jedidiah17

Long time, no see, eh?
Happy New Year, happy new chapters.

|Chapter Fourteen|

"Stop!" Miss Bukola's shrill voice effectively broke the tautness in the SS3 atmosphere.

All our pens dropped in alliance, a collective sigh of relief could be heard all over the classroom as the young spinster who taught us Economics moved around and collected our test scripts in an orderly fashion. The state of quietness everyone of us was exhibiting was proof of how much we were all thinking the same thing.

First term exams were drawing near. And with it came the nearness of national entrance exams for university screening.

Secondary school was almost over. Real life was beginning.

Well, maybe not for everyone.

I listened as some of the guys chattered at the back of the class.

"We have to go there tonight! It's Friday, guy!"

A/N: Saying 'Guy!' is a Nigerian way of saying, 'Dude!"

"We gonna paint that club red, man! Look, SOJ, Ridwan told me that there were fresh babes available..."

I tuned them out at this point. Such irritating, provocative human beings.

"Y'all are invited to Club Seventeen tonight!" Soji's boisterous voice rang so callously, I cringed. "Especially the ladies! Big Daddy promises treat you well!"

The sound of flesh being slapped and whooping followed the proclamation. I glanced at Dami and found that she was also listening to their nonsense. Her eyes met mine as she turned to me.

"Can we get out of here?" She asked, an eye roll accompanying her question.

I laughed and stood, gathering my writing materials and extending my hand. "Yes, please."

Smiling, she took my hand and we escaped the senselessness together.

"How was the entire test period for you, Sharie?" Dami asked as we walked serenely down the hallway. We knew where we were headed, even without any prior plans.

I glanced at my friend and wanted, for some reason, to weep. I blinked.

"Aww, Sharie, was it hard? Why didn't you tell me something?"

"Wow," I breathed.

"Is something wrong?" Dami's eyes were narrowed, her lips tipping down at both corners.

I released a sigh. We were strolling towards the bleachers on the football field. A lot of activity was going on. Students were done with tests and some were out on the field playing games in small groups. Thankfully, no one else was on the bleachers.

"Damilola, I need to tell you how I've been feeling about our friendship for sometime. I think it's been weeks that I've been burying my true feelings."

I paused. Dami was silent, her unusually coloured eyes glancing at me. She looked sincerely bemused.

"Let's sit first before we talk, okay?" I said.

She nodded, beaded braids flying around her head mildly.

We sat near the top of the bleachers, hoping to block out the cheers and excited chatter from the students on the large expanse of green grass below us.

"We're here," Dami spoke as soon as we sat on two of the seats closer to the left end of the bleachers. Her voice was calm, lacking worry. I almost smiled. I knew her beyond surface level. Damilola was very curious, very uncertain.

"I know, Dami," I smiled, hoping my smile showed the kindness in my heart. I was playing with her.

"You..." She stared at me a beat, then laughed. Her facial features eased.  "Be serious, Sharie."

"I am, Dami. I just don't want-- anyway, let's talk." I waited as I drew breath.

God, please, take control. Don't let this spiral into something more than I can handle.

"Dami," I took her hand with such gentility, I wondered what was going on with me. I wouldn't do that on a normal note. If we ever held hands, it was because she took mine, not because I took hers. And then I knew, God was already taking control.

"Hmm?" Eyes a bit wide, Dami glanced down at our joined hands and up at me. My actions shocked her, too.

Thank You, Jesus.

"You're someone I cherish, Dami. A lot has happened to me and I..." I cleared my throat. I shrugged. "Frankly, I don't have friends. I mean, I didn't have friends until I came here and met you again."

"Sharon..." Her voice cracked on the word.

I gave her hand a squeeze and she went silent, allowing me to continue my speech.

"I thought I could no longer love anyone and I planned to create a future for myself here, uninterrupted by my past, and alone. Then, I met you." My laughter was a bit rueful. "I was so charmed that night! I followed you to that buka, and my plans for loneliness went down the drain. But, Dami, you've also hurt me."

Her hazel eyes were more of a brown today, and the look in them made me want to hug her. "Me? How? I'll never do anything to hurt you, you know that."

"But you have. You don't know it, and I might probably sound needy. I've gone through this in my mind severally, thinking of how it could be stemming from a place of want, still, I discovered that you are my friend, and it's alright if I talk with you."

Damilola was staring so intently at me, I thought her eyes would drop off their sockets soon.

I drew in a breath, my gaze moving from hers to the busy field below and back to her again. "Do you pity me, Damilola?"

"What?" She looked like I'd shocked her. "No! Of course. Not! Of course not!"

"I feel that way, though. I started to feel neglect from you. All those nights you'd go over to Queen's for sleepovers, hang out with her and some of the football guys who live near her place, and you'd send me pictures on WhatsApp of how you were riding bikes, playing games, and other stuff. How'd you expect me to feel? Happy?"

"Sharie! It's just sleepovers. Queen and I have been having sleepovers for years," she defended in a reasonable tone. Her hand was no longer tucked between mine at that point.

"I know that. I also know that she hosts all the sleepovers and you've never hosted one of your sleepovers." I said the word sleepover like it were something bitter in my mouth.

Help me, Lord. I prayed in my heart.

Dami went quiet as she heaved a sigh. I knew she was thinking about what I'd just said. "Sharie. I didn't mean to make you unhappy."

"I know. I know I'm a child of God, and I should be happy for others when they're enjoying themselves, and I've asked God to forgive my selfish heart, but I need you here at times, Dami." Tears sprang into my sight and my voice broke. "I want to tell you stuff about what is happening in my life, but you're so busy with other friends, you don't have time for me. Unless it's school work, you're never around me anymore."

"I'm sorry, Sharie."

"Just four days ago, someone broke into the house. My underwear was stolen when I was in the bathroom! I've wanted to tell you since, but I couldn't get the chance. I can't tell Sam. I can't tell someone else!"

"Oh, no!" Dami gasped, her palm against her mouth. "That's hideous!"

She stood, then sat again. "Who did it?! How dare they!"

Her reaction made my heart lighter. "Calm down, Dami!" I touched her knee.

She froze in her restlessness and pulled me into a hug. "Oh, Sharon! I'm so, so sorry, my sweet friend."

She sniffed and her slender hands tightened across my shoulders. "I'll never neglect you again. I can never pity you, you know? You're one of the most independent, strong, intelligent girls I know. I never even remember what you told Mum and I about you'd past, Sharie. I guess that made me view you as someone who needs me less. Queen, on the other hand..." She pulled back and held my hands. Her face held a sobriety and seriousness. "I'll always be here for you. More than anyone else. I promise."

I smiled. How special is this friend of mine.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't have other friends, Dami..."

"I understand you, Sharie. But I'll give you more of my time than..."

"Oh," I spoke as my eyes caught the small group of students looking our way. "The guys are here."

Dami turned and waved. Indy and Sam waved back, gesturing with their hands for us to come down.

The largest smiles took up our faces as Dami and I embraced.

"You're amazing, Dami." I told her as we descended the bleachers, thanking God as we moved. The conversation went better than well.

Dami grinned, a teeny-weeny dimple coming out to play. She rolled her eyes in classic Dami fashion. "Amazing is my middle name, you know."

We laughed and joined our friends. Indy, Sam, Queen, and Victor were walking to a spot to the side of the field and Dami and I followed naturally. Conversation flowed easily around me, and I smiled in sincere thanksgiving.

Queen, ever ready, had brought with her a transparent bag that held bunches of banana, and a cute-looking quilt which she wasted no time spreading over the green grass.

Green grass. Green snake under the green grass... I guess that describes some people perfectly.

The malicious thought popped in my mind, my eyes rather fixed on Queen's sweet smile as she waved Dami over to sit close to her.

But the fruit of the Spirit of God is love... Pastor Frank's voice echoed last Sunday's teaching in my heart.

"Come on," Indy beckoned on me as he folded his long legs beneath him. My eyes down, I hurried to his side. Victor whispered a hi to me from my other side. I only smiled abashedly back at his somewhat timid face.

The banana bunches were placed at the centre and the guys hurried to take some. Indy handed me three bananas with a sachet water. I smiled my thanks.

"Uh, can...?"

"Do we...?"

"So, let's start!" Queen jumped in before anyone could utter anything.

God, I'm sorry, but she's so forward! Help me to love her the way You love. It's not easy to, though.

"Sharon!" They all shouted in glee.

I lifted my eyes and glanced at their faces in confusion.

Man, I needed to stop with the absentmindedness. I had missed what they were saying.

Sam, who was seated between Indy and Dami, made eye contact with me. His eyes twinkled in mirth, and I tried not to stare, but focus on whatever made them call me.

It's the way he pays so much attention to me, God. I don't deserve that from someone so pure like him.

Queen was suddenly speaking, her fair hands rubbing together. "A truth and a lie, Lagos girl! Oh, I'm about to cast you!"

A/N: To 'cast' somebody, in Nigerian English, is to expose them or find out their secret.

Goosebumps rose on the skin covering my forearms for no reason.

"Bring it on, Sharon!" Indy laughed, his elbow meeting my side.

I pushed him playfully and said, "Okay, okay. Silence!"

Like true gossips, all five of my acquainted classmates fell silent.

"Well," I dragged out. "I love studying and I hate music."

Dami's playful scoff came first. "You have got to be kidding me, Sharie. Those are two lies!"

"Right?" Indy chipped in.

From my diaphragm, laughter bubbled up as an unexpected stillness filled my soul. I adjusted my school skirt around my thighs, feeling at ease.

"Let's do this, then."

I looked at each person's face. Sam's soft wink distracted me only for a second, same as Dami's wiggling brows. I shook my head playfully at them.

Thank You for the gift of friends.

"I don't like everyone here, and I love everyone here."

There was a pause. Like everyone was waiting on me to play the game. Only, I wasn't. The lie just wasn't forthcoming.

Then, we all laughed together at my expense, realizing the truth.

Even if we didn't find it easy to like one another sometimes, deep down, we loved one another.

"Someone needs to teach Sharon how to play this game," Victor mumbled.

"Exactly, babe." Queen chirped.

They moved on to their next victim.

"Ephraim!"

A/N:

I hope you were blessed by this chapter. I'm extra thankful for the ceaseless votes on chapters, even during the holidays. God bless y'all! See you soon!

And vote, okay?
Send me a message, too, if you want to.

L O V E,
Precious.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.1M 654K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
1.2M 38K 70
HIGHEST RANKINGS: #1 in teenagegirl #1 in overprotective #3 in anxiety Maddie Rossi is only 13, and has known nothing but pain and heartbreak her ent...
1.1K 300 10
It was Jumoke's 3rd year as a student at Hallmark University and Alex Matthew, the guy she had liked since her 1st year still doesn't seem to know sh...
97.1K 4.3K 37
ချစ်နေမိလို့ နာကျင်ခံစားရမှာစိုးလို့ လက်လွှတ်ပစ်မယ့်လူထဲမှာ ငါမပါဘူး ငါကချစ်မိတာနဲ့ အပိုင်ရဖို့ပဲကြိုးစားမှာ #ခွဲခြား သူကျွန်တော့ကို မချစ်ဘူး ဒီအတိုင...