The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

By The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... More

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 7: Allies?
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 11: Uncertainty
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters
Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers
Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 19: Watch Your Back

698 24 0
By The3meraldQueen

I make my way toward the eastern valley Allister was talking about. The air becomes colder; snow is scattered over the mountain as I grow closer. The trek is shorter than I thought when I looked from a distance. Now having put some distance between me and the city of Camelot, I feel much better. My mind has grown clearer, allowing me to act as if the past few days haven't happened.

The hut comes into view, hidden at the base of a mountain. I slip into the valley, making sure to hold onto my bag tightly. Dry, dead leaves lay across the valley's floor despite little trees around its edges. I can see the sky become darker as black clouds roll in, covering its ocean blue. I shiver as a light breeze kisses my skin, bringing a skip to my step.

I reach the wooden door, planting loud knocks on the wooden frame. I'm all too eager to escape the weather, even if it's for a short while. The door opens, revealing Allister, dressed in his same navy cloak as when I had met him just a week ago. He rubs his eyes, seemingly having only just woken from slumber. For a moment, he looks me up and down; his confused face morphs into that eerie smirk he had when I first met him.

"Edythe", Allister greets. "I knew you'd come."

I'm uneased by his words, but I stand my ground, knowing I need what this stone will provide. I depend on it. If all fails, I will be wanted for theft once again, and I'll have no way of escape. This is the only chance I have to change myself and the life I wish to live. I don't want to fall back into old habits. This is my last act. This is to be my salvation to move on.

"Did you bring it?"

I nod, reaching into my leather bag shuffling through all my belongings to find the emerald stone. The cold stone kisses my fingers as I retrieve it from the darkness of my bag. I forgot in the short time how beautiful the stone is. The green glow bounces off my pale skin and onto the wooden hut.

Allister's eyes widen as he sees the stone as if not expecting there to be a glow. I'm cautious of the admiring gaze that takes Allister's features. The look reminds me of evils that have been done with similar stones and the effects they've had on people. A shiver runs down my spine in memory of the blue hell stone. Every cell in my body tells me not to hand over the stone, but as Allister pulls a satchel full of coins from his cloak, I remind myself that this is for the better.

"I thank you dearly, Edythe", Allister praises, bowing. "You have no idea what kind of relief you have given me."

I frown at his words, not too sure what he means by that. I give a half-hearted nod, taking the pouch from the older man's hand. Allister watches on patiently as I open the leather pouch, counting through the coin. I nod as I count the money, realising that I have a little extra than I'm used to. This brings relief knowing that I'm set.

Satisfied with the amount given, I hand over the stone, continuing to remind myself that this is best. I've never felt guilty about delivering something I have stolen, but I feel like a horrible person this time. The image of a demon sitting on my shoulder whispering influences into my ear flashes through my mind. The thought is unsettling.

Allister admires the stone, glazing upon it as if it's a life source. I wonder again what the stone does, knowing it is magic, but its properties are unknown. For all I know, this stone is a life source.

Allister's eyes find me again. "Thank you, thank you", he praises, taking my hand in his. I pull my hand out of his defensively, not like the contact. "Would you like to come in? Have some hot brew?"

My eyes scan the weather outside, seeing the distant fall of rain closing in. As if on cue, my gut lets out a grumble, demanding that I fill my stomach with substance. I should be getting a move on, aiming to leave Arthur's kingdom as soon as possible and seek passage possibly out of the five kingdoms. My needs for warmth and food appear stronger.

"Yes, please, that would be kind of you."

Allister moves aside so I may enter the hut. I'm barely halfway through the door as he calls, "Gents! We have a guest!"

Time seemingly stands still as I place my bag by the hut door, Allister shutting it behind me. The man now moved aside to reveal three men. I've barely registered that Allister has spoken to more people as I see their faces. The three men look in my direction with greeting smiles, but they fade to shocked expressions. The colour drains from my face as I see the handsome pair of hazel eyes on me.

"Well, well. Long-time no see, princess," Aro calls, a wide grin spreading across his face.

I freeze, my eyes darting for the door where Allister still stands, contemplating the run. As if reading my mind, Aro quickly responds his eyes also on the door.

"Not so quick, doll. We won't hurt you," he reassures.

My heart pounds through my chest at his words, hating the way he looks at me as if I'm a prize to be won. Wade gives Aro a look of disgust at the promise, seeming as though he hoped for more fun.

Aro turns back to face Dolan and Wade, who whisper, still looking at me with death glares. Dolan has a nasty bruise over one side of his face, and he doesn't look happy about it. The three men begin to pack up the card game they were playing in the dimly lit hut.

Allister scurries over to the fire, gathering a bowl and spoon as he scoops some stew from a cauldron over the fire. My eyes fix on Aro and his men, wanting to get out of here as fast as possible. I watch anxiously as Aro brushes his hand over a few daggers on the table, my own that I stabbed him with amongst the various blades. He gives me a sideways smirk as if daring me to make a move. Wade has a confident smirk plastered across his face, suggesting I stay put.

I don't remove my gaze from Aro as Allister brings over my stew. I take it into my possession, eyes stern on the three ahead of me. Allister continues around the hut, readjusting things all over the place, fidgeting. This makes me feel more restless. Something is wrong.

There's a loud clang as Allister drops a pot. "Mr Crane", Aro sings, "I believe you owe me something."

Aro picks up a dagger, twirling it in his hand, his hazel eyes examining it. Wade and Dolan's eyes turn on Allister, sinister thoughts behind them. My stiff neck cranes toward Allister, his face pale as he stares hard at a bare wooden wall. His hand brushes over the emerald in his pocket. My eyes turn to the door for a second, locating the latch for when I run.

"I've been loyal, faithful", Allister croaks, his gaze remaining on the floor.

"You have."

Tears sting Allister's eyes. "Then can we not give the stone to Lady Morgana together?"

The breath hitches in my throat as I hear Morgana's name again. My eyes dart to Aro, remembering that he works for my half-sister. Dread fills the pit of my stomach as I realise what she sent them here for. Morgana wants the emerald, and I delivered it right to her. My gut sinks at this realisation, the bowl becoming loose in my grip.

"She promised I would be free", Allister adds, now fully turning to Aro as he gains some sort of courage.

"She did", Aro agrees, nodding, his eyes still on the dagger in his hand. "But you see, Allister. Freedom can mean many things. And my definition of freedom is different from Lady Morgana's."

"Then take the stone and be gone with it", Allister growls, finding some kind of strength. He rushes over to the table and slams the emerald on it.

I jump at the contact, taking a step back toward the door, completely forgetting about my bag.

"I don't think...you follow what I mean", Aro grins, his eyes turning to look at the glowing stone. I take another step back, placing the stew on a shelf quietly.

"I don't need anything. I just want to be left alone," Allister pleads, completely ignoring Aro's words.

Aro lets out a loud sigh.

His movements are so fast I barely see them, his dagger embedding into Allister's throat so fast blood splatters the wall. My legs pull me toward the door faster than my mind can comprehend what has happened. I unlatch the wooden door, throwing it aside as I bolt. I don't see when Aro stands, and I don't see when he throws the dagger, but I feel the force hit my shoulder. It hits so hard I nearly fall over out the door.

Fire burns through my shoulder, forcing a scream to erupt through my throat. My legs still carry me from the hut, hand cradling my left shoulder. I hear the cries of the men running through the hut. The sound of whizzing fills the air as Aro throws daggers toward me. I hear them hit the ground, but I never see them, and luckily, I reach the forest before he can hit me again.

My heavy breathing and bounding footprints echo through the forest. Any song that was sung has silenced with my arrival. I didn't notice the heavy rain beating down over the burning pain in my left shoulder. I can feel the blade still wedged in my flesh, but I can't stop; death soon to follow if I stop for even a breath. I pray that I don't leave too much trail behind. Hopefully, the rain will cover my tracks and offer safe passage.

I wander through the woods blind for what feels like hours, the pain in my shoulder growing to an unbearable pulse. My hair sticks to my face from both the rain and sweat. I don't even feel the cold wind that bites at my skin, the pain in my shoulder far more savage.

My legs grow tired, and I know I can no longer go on. I stumble, trying to find some cover, eventually falling under a short tree with thick leaves. It's not well covered but judging on the denseness of the forest; it's been a long time since someone has ventured this far in. I hope.

The second my body hits the ground, all my limbs go numb with aching. The tears well in my eyes as I try to reach the blade over my left shoulder. It's not hard, my right hand finding the knife's handle. I try to hold in my cries as I try to heave the blade from my shoulder. I let out long moans of pain as I grit my teeth and rip the dagger from my flesh.

The dagger falls from my hand into the dirt, my body hunching over in intense pain. I curl into a ball on the ground, whimpering from the torture I had to inflict on myself to stop the burning of metal in my flesh. I can tell blood is flooding from the wound, but I have no strength or the tools to tend to it.

The earth spins beneath me, the rain pelting down on the earth. Unable to sit up any longer, I fall to the damp forest floor, curling up into a fetus position. I become absent of thought and time as my body uncontrollably begins to shiver with the cold.

I'm unable to drift into sleep, the pain and cold too unbearable for me to sleep. The rain continues for hours, the sun peeking through the clouds a few times before disappearing again. For a moment, I think I hear distant cries of voices. Then my shivering takes over, and I'm unable to hear anything over the rain.

I don't even realise when the rain stops, still curled up, even when the sun comes out. I begin to wonder if I've gotten what I deserved in the depth of my despair. Has karma come for me? Has the devil come to collect his debt? Makes sense.

I remember thinking that this lifestyle would be the death of me, and look where I am, even after all I've tried to do. This still is my end.

Edythe...

My eyes crack open for a moment, trying to figure out if I had heard my name or if my mind is beginning to play tricks on me from the loss of blood.

Edythe, I hear you. You're in pain. Where are you?

Some strength returns to me as Iseldir's voice talks to me. Perhaps he is speaking to me. Although, I've heard of people hearing voices before death...oh god, am I dying? I've also heard that sometimes the mind has a will to do whatever to survive. Is this my mind conjuring something to keep me going?

"Edythe?" a voice calls distantly. My eyes snap open in horror. That voice wasn't in my head. That voice was very real.

The thought of Aro finding me gives me a sudden burst of adrenaline. I leap into a crouching position, the pain ceasing seemingly as I find a strength I didn't realise I had. I try to contain my breathing. The voice calls my name again, but it's closer and familiar this time. I frown, peering around the tree, not sure if I'm dreading to see who it is or wishing for him to be there.

Light catches his armour, flicking as he approaches the trees. He seems to be following a trail left behind in the mud. I curse under my breath, knowing it's my trail he follows. My heart pricks painfully seeing him, wanting to apologise, wanting to hug him. The pain in my shoulder forces the thoughts from my mind for a moment as I hiss.

"Edythe?" Leon calls once more, pausing to look around one more time, making sure he's on the trail.

I don't allow my mind even to process who stands only a few feet away, pulling my screaming limbs to run out of the thickness of the tree. I hear his calls, trying my hardest to channel them out as I focus on the road ahead—the wound on my shoulder protests in a fire of hell fury. Soon more voices join in union with Leon's, everyone's voice bringing their names to my mind. I try to focus on anything but...

Just run.

Keep running.

Don't look back.

The voices and footsteps become distant as I venture further into the forest, its clutches almost becoming too intense for any human to hike. Soon my open breathing is all I can hear in the dense wet forest. I cradle my shoulder, feeling a new wet layer of blood spilling over the stained fabrics.

I'm so focused on my pain-stricken shoulder that the sharp pain shooting through my leg comes without warning. It sends me tumbling over like stone to gravity. Mud sprays everywhere as I hit the ground with a loud thud, crying out in agony. The pain is indescribable, piercing through my flesh like scorched wire. I reach down toward the pain, feeling liquid pour from where a sharp object sits within my flesh. I glance down with gritted teeth, a familiar dagger embedded in my right thigh, only the handle visible as the blade is long lost in my flesh.

My dagger.

Hands clap beside me, my head shooting toward the sound in panic—my sight spots with black dots from the overwhelming torture. I shriek in horror as I see Aro approaching with a wide grin, twirling another dagger in hand. I try to pull myself across the ground, mud filling under my nails as I claw at the ground. My shoulder and thigh scream against me, tearing a cry from my throat.

"You messed with the wrong man, missy", Aro mocks with arrogant pride. "Should have thought twice before stabbing me, huh?" he adds, his grin becoming wider if that were possible. "Though I suppose I should thank you. Made my life a lot easier by bringin' that stone."

He kneels beside me, grabbing onto my chin, causing me to jerk away ."Don't worry. I brought friends this time", he states. He shuffles to the side, revealing a group of 20 or so men, all dressed in similar attire.

Bandits.

"No escaping this time", Aro sings, his hand wrapping around the hilt of the dagger, harshly yanking it up.

I scream out in pain as the dagger rips through my flesh, blood sprouting across my thigh. I reach for the wound, applying as much pressure I can, fire burning through my leg like hell fury. My head pounds with the over-stimulation of pain. Tears boil in my eyes, my already blurred vision making it near to impossible to see. I try to hold back the uncontrollable cries of pain, but my body forces them from my throat.

"So, where were we?" Aro smirks, pushing me onto my back.

I let out a scream of agony as soil and sticks embed into my shoulder. I fight against Aro's grip as he climbs on top of me. I scream in both protest and pain, "Get off of me, you disgusting pig!" I scream, the pain turning into panic. Aro simply chuckles at the statement, his foul breath on my face, his hand beginning to roam my body.

"Hey!" a familiar voice yells in pour anger, causing Aro and myself to freeze.

Emerging from the forest is Arthur, the knights of Camelot following like one unit, swords drawn. "The woman said get off", Arthur sneers, his face stern and red with anger. "I suggest you listen."

Aro climbs to his feet elegantly, drawing his sword. All the men Aro brought mimicked their boss's actions. "I suggest you-" Aro retaliates, pointing his sword at the knights "-move along!"

"Sorry, mate. Can't do that," Gwaine snickers, charging toward Aro with his sword raised high.

In a blink of an eye, the knights of Camelot clash into Aro's small army, swords striking metal. With Aro's weight now off me, I take in a deep breath I didn't realise I needed, curling on my side moaning out in pain. With blurred vision, I watch on in horror, hoping for my friends not to be hurt. I get emerged in the fighting, watching as Arthur and his knights fight on despite the odds looking far against them.

That's when my sight catches the glowing green light beside me. The emerald stone lays on the ground beside me inside a small satchel. Shrieking in pain, I grab for the jewel, pulling it tightly to my body as if it will help me. I get a sense of comfort once I've grabbed it as if everything I've done wasn't entirely for nothing.

I close my eyes, rolling onto my back, body becoming weak as I lay there, praying for the pain to stop. I beg for a release, clutching onto the stone as if it is a way of releasing the pain.

I jump in fright, even letting out a shriek as Merlin appears by my side. "It's okay, Edythe, it's just me!"

The pain somehow manages to worsen as I catch sight of the blood on my thigh, shoulder biting back in furious retaliation. Merlin looks over the wounds, bringing a roan of pain from me as he touches the tender flesh.

As if being reminded by Merlin's touch, I remember what's happening. All my hard work to run away is falling apart before my very eyes. My mind floods with only one horror, the idea of having to face the truth, to have to face my brother. To face the mess I've left behind.

Run is the only word that fills my mind in the chaos.

Pushing any emotion or rational thought aside, I protest Merlin's assistance. The servant becomes confused, fighting against my squirming. He repeatedly tells me to calm down, trying to hold me to the ground as I pull myself to my feet. Merlin rises with me, a firm grip on my forearm but not strong enough to stop me. Tears sting my eyes as I fight against his attempts to help. I cry out in pain as I push to move my leg, my shoulder not helping.

Merlin's attention is caught by a bandit rushing toward us, sword raised. Merlin grabs a sword from the ground turning to the bandit. I only hear the blades strike one another as I limp away. My desire to get away is more furious than the pain shooting through my leg.

The fighting becomes distant whilst I force my leg to work, letting out cries of pain with every stride I take. I stumble around in a mixed jog and limp. Blood pours from both my wounds, but my leg is worse. My consciousness becomes distant, fading away, making me sway in my movement.

One last battle cry echos in the distance, the forest falling silent. Soon the forest is filled with the shouts of my friends, their desperate pleas only forcing me to cry more. I try my hardest to run as fast as I can, but the pain begins to take over my body and mind, screaming for release.

My surroundings become a blur as I slow to a limp, crying hard from frustration, pain and the knowledge of Arthur following. I turn into what I think is a valley, the pain blinding any rational thinking. I come to a stop as I see the towering dirt wall, the height daunting. Still, the pain burns my leg and shoulder over my entire body like a forest fire, bringing a whimper to my lips.

I hear the approaching footsteps, swords returning to their belts. "Edythe?" Arthur's voice calls, his tone low.

I turn, my right leg becoming limp as I'm unable to put pressure on it. My eyes meet his, tears drying as I try to put on the usual emotionless mask I've hidden behind for most of my life. The mask falls easily despite the ache, my body shaking violently the only sign that I'm in pain. I swallow back the groans of pain.

Arthur looks worn, dark circles under his eyes from lack of sleep, eyes pleading as I look back at him. The Knights all look on distantly, as though shocked by seeing me. My state is probably a horrific visual compared to when they last saw me at Percival's party.

My eyes fall on Leon, the large bruise standing out on his pale forehead. I let my gaze drop in remorse for the pain inflicted. I deserve the pain I feel right now for what I've caused to people I care about.

"Why?" Is all Arthur can manage, his voice hoarse. He steps out from the group, the others remaining behind, concern on all their faces.

"Because this is what I do, Arthur", I sneer, voice croaking from tears and pain I try to conceal behind gritted teeth. "I run when things get too hard. When things get too messy. When I get scared, I run."

"Did I do something wrong?" Arthur pleads. "D-did someone else? W-what can I do?" he searches, trying not to approach me slowly, fearful of me leaving.

Seeing Arthur like this breaks my heart, to know I did this to someone so caring, compassionate and understanding. After everything he's done for me, all I've done is cause him loss and pain. What does that say about me?

"You didn't do anything, Arthur. No one did anything. It's me," I hiss, feeling my head become faint. My legs wobble weakly beneath me. I have no strength left, shoulders becoming limb. "There are so many reasons why it's bad that I'm your sister...and they're all because of me."

"What do you mean?"

"You're a King, Arthur", I bellow. "Imagine what allowing a commoner-no-a thief! Imagine what allowing a thief into Camelot will do! It'll make you look bad. It'll make Camelot bad. Housing a criminal will put a target on your back. I'm not good. I mean, look at me! I get faced with the idea of normal and happy and instead run away from it because it's 'scary'."

"Let's not forget druids raised me. Wouldn't that fit well with the council!" I throw my arms up at the thought, stumbling back a few steps back. "Even my own people are disappointed in me!"

"Arthur, she needs those wounds tended to", Merlin hisses, taking a hesitant step forward.

"None of those things matter, Edythe", Arthur reassures, taking another step toward me, feeling panicked with Merlin's words. "You're of royal blood. It won't matter. And you are a good person. We've all seen it, every man here able to say we've seen the true you."

"Yeah? Would a good person stab an unarmed man?" I snicker, motioning toward Percival, the scar still visible on his shoulder.

"But you came back to heal him out of sympathy", Leon offers, my eyes falling on the Knight.

"I knocked you out and left you in the forest", I throwback with a snarl, trying my hardest to have to blame myself. It is something to give them a reason to leave me here to die and not sound logical and persuasive. "I could have killed you."

Leon takes a soft step toward me. "But you didn't. I wasn't even badly hurt."

"Stop defending me, Leon!" I yell, catching everyone off guard.

I see the pain come over Leon's face and immediately regret raising my voice. I begin sinking toward the ground, the earth swaying around me.

The tears form again in my eyes as the longing begins to set in. The longing to return to Camelot, to know Arthur. To be surrounded by friends and family. The life I would have never seen for myself. My legs begin to shake, my head blurred from the loss of blood. Words and thoughts are now too incoherent to make any sense.

"Edythe, please", Arthur pleads, now only an arm's length away. "You're-" he pauses, tears glistening his eyes ", you're the only real family I have left...."

I sob, feeling the pain in his voice, knowing that I'm the one to cause it. I'm worlds away now, unable to focus with my heart and mind fighting against one another for control. I try to protest some more, the fear of the unknown coming back as it had the other night, in a crashing wave, overwhelming me.

The wave of emotion is the last straw, sending my consciousness over the rails. A dark tunnel closes on my vision, and my legs buckle underneath me, the darkness taking over before I hit the ground.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.2K 757 15
Uther begins to fear Arthur's strength and power he holds over his knights and banishes him. Arthur must then begin to fight to become the king he is...
79K 3K 36
Sequel to 'Merlyn's Last Dream'. Based on Series 4 of Merlin. When ghosts plague the final moments of a doomed kingdom, cold will fracture the very h...
37.5K 1.4K 36
Destiny...Fate...Call it what you will, has everyone set on a certain path. Merlin's destiny is to protect Prince Arthur, to see him become King and...
82.5K 2.2K 22
My name is Prince Merlin Aragon Ambrosius, and I hate being a prince, so much that I ran away from home, to live in Camelot, a place where my kind ar...