Hard to Find

By annasteffey

[FREE Novel with PAID bonus content] After an awful night out, social worker-Skylar Leighton-believes her lif... More

♡ Authors Note ♡
Epigraph
Chapter One - Blondie
Chapter Two - No Strings Attached
Chapter Three - Friends
Chapter Four - Realizations
Chapter Five - Groundhog Day
Chapter Six - Alone
Chapter Seven - One Shot too Many
Chapter Eight - She
Chapter Nine - Peace Offerings
Chapter Ten - True Colors
Chapter Eleven - Forgiving
Chapter Twelve - One Step at a Time
Chapter Thirteen - Deals
Chapter Fourteen - Tidal Wave
Chapter Fifteen - Business
Chapter Sixteen - Signs
Chapter Seventeen - Loveless
Chapter Eighteen - Hallucinate
Chapter Nineteen - Phone Calls
Chapter Twenty - Nobody Knows
Chapter Twenty One - Letters
Chapter Twenty Two- Hidden Objects
Chapter Twenty Three - We meet again
Chapter Twenty Four - Are you Ready
Chapter Twenty Five - Memories
Chapter Twenty Six - Lies
Chapter Twenty Eight - Just Breathe
Chapter Twenty Nine - Perspective
Chapter Thirty - Let Down
Chapter Thirty One - Silver Lining
Chapter Thirty Two - Listen To The One Who Loves You
Chapter Thirty Three - Beginning of the End
Chapter Thirty Four - The Parnell's
Chapter Thirty Five - Photos
Chapter Thirty Six - This Feeling
Chapter Thirty Seven - Bittersweet Silence
Chapter Thirty Eight - Hard To Find
Epilogue
♡Ending Authors Note♡
Bonus: The Engagement

Chapter Twenty Seven - Ms. Leighton

15K 956 55
By annasteffey

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t w e n t y s e v e n 

{Ms. Leighton}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

For some strange reason, my skin ripples with goosebumps as Jayden, Addy, Jasper, and I pull up to the restaurant Marlee chose for brunch. I keep telling myself that Addy, Jasper, and Dylan go way back, so this is not a formal introduction. However, this is the moment our two families are being brought together. No parents, just us. Because oddly enough, we have that in common.

Jayden involuntarily grabs my hand, comforting me, and guides us to the entrance. After giving our name to the hostess, she shows us where Marlee and Dylan are already seated.

Marlee doesn't hesitate to stand when she sees us. "I'm so glad you guys could come!" She hugs me first, then makes her way toward Addy. They instantly bond over their pregnancy and I feel at ease. I knew things would go well, but seeing it unfold in front of me is a distinct relief. We sit down, order drinks, and the conversation flows easily.

"You were so ornery, don't pretend you weren't." Dylan raises his eyebrows at Addy, which she replies with an overly exaggerated eye roll. Jayden nods his head in complete agreement.

"See Sky, I told you I wasn't the bad one."

"Oh yeah? Says the boys who peed in Mr. Jillian's bushes junior year."

"I knew you were bad." Marlee shakes her head in disappointment, and the boys immediately try to defend themselves. I can't stop the laughter from coming out.

Jayden's hand finds its way to my thigh, he squeezes gently. "She's a liar," he says. A grin dances around the corners of his mouth, and I lift his hand off my thigh and lock my fingers with his.

There is a light in his eyes today. Something that hasn't been there for a while. I don't know if it's because we're with family, but he seems at peace. And I have never wanted to kiss him more.

"Okay love birds," Someone speaks from across the table, snapping us out of our daze. Suddenly my hand grows cold and I realize Jayden isn't holding it anymore. He is fidgeting with his phone which isn't like him.

"I'm sorry, the office keeps calling. I was going to ignore it."

"You're okay," I reassure him with a smile. "Go take the call."

He excuses himself from the table, kissing my forehead on the way out.

Just as it always does, the food comes out right when he leaves. I tell everyone to eat because I know they'll wait for Jayden if I say nothing. Who knows how long his call will be, especially if it is business. We continue chatting, but I can't help but worry. A strange pit formed in my stomach when Jayden left the room.

A couple of minutes later, he re-enters the restaurant as if nothing happened. "Sorry about that." He takes his seat. "The food looks good, I'm glad you guys didn't wait to dig in." He smiles for everyone, but I notice his demeanor is off, and by the look on Addy's face, so does she.

He squeezes my hand under the table, but he won't look me in the eyes. Something is definitely wrong, but I don't ask.

The conversation continues as normal, and we talk about everything under the sun. Marlee and Addy show each other pictures of the nursery, they ask about due dates and their baby showers. I take the moment to lean over and ask Jayden what's wrong, but he beats me to it.

"The Leeman's are here."

My blood rushes cold. "Here? In New York?"

He nods, somehow keeping a smile on his face for everyone else. "They're looking for me."

"What for?"

"Who knows? I'm meeting them at the office after Addy and Jasper leave."

"I'm coming."

The exchange between us ends there. Only twenty minutes later are we saying goodbye. When we get back to Jayden's, Addy and Jasper announce they have to get going. Jayden offers to drive them to the airport, but Addy ignores him and orders an Uber instead. As I help Jasper load their bags into the car, I notice Addy whisper something to Jayden. They hug and then join us beside the car.

Addy opens her arms, inviting me to hug her. "Please come visit, we can ditch the dudes and have a girls' night."

"I would love that."

She leans in closer to my ear. "I wish you would have known me when I wasn't pregnant, I'm no fun right now. I'm just tired and hungry."

We burst out laughing. "Oh Addy, you are fun. Trust me."

"Well, thank you." She smiles. "It was so nice to finally meet you. And trust me when I tell you that everything will work out between you and Jayden, no matter the obstacle thrown in your way. "

He must've told her what's going on. We hug once more, and then she and Jasper go their way.

"You ready?" Jayden slides his arm around my shoulders. I don't know how he is so calm about this, but I also don't know why I'm so freaked out. I've dealt with lawyers before, with uncooperative, stubborn parents... but the last time I was in the client's chair, I was legally being put into my sister's custody. Maybe that's why I feel this way, it's reopening old wounds.

But I pull myself together because I can do this for him.

We drive toward his office building. Jayden's lawyer is waiting inside for us with paperwork in hand. I'm hastily introduced to him, but they get straight to business. We're informed the Leeman's are on their way, coming with their lawyer to talk about a deal which we have no clue what about. I've never seen Jayden in full work mode. There is no doubt in my mind he will settle some things tonight.

Jayden's lawyer excuses himself, and Jayden turns toward me. "You alright?"

"Me? Alright?" I laugh, absurdly. "You're asking me if I'm okay? I should be asking if you are okay."

He chuckles, running his fingers through his hair. "I have a weird rush of adrenaline right now... I haven't seen them since I was a teenager. I feel like this is my moment to tell them how I feel. But I also have to keep my mouth shut because who knows what they could use against me in court."

I completely get where he's coming from. He's an adult now, with much more confidence and power than he ever had as an eighteen-year-old. All those pent-up feelings he's held in for years have the opportunity to come out. Sadly, he can't let them.

I lean closer, cupping his cheek. "I'm proud of you."

Before he can reply, Jayden's lawyer appears in the doorway. "They're here, you ready?"

Jayden's face tense. He adjusts his shirt and we both stand. I take a moment to slip my hands behind his neck, pull his face toward mine, and press my lips to his. He reciprocates, bringing his hands to the side of my face and holding me for as long as he can.

We pull away in silence and hand in hand, head to the conference room.

When we get there, the door is already open. The scent of rose oil permeates the room. In the leather seats are a man and a woman. Both in their early sixties. They don't look at us right away. The woman takes a moment to smooth her blonde hair behind her pierced ear and then, like a lion observing its prey, she puts her game face on.

Turning toward us, with a smile plastered on her face, she stands with her husband. "Jayden, it's very nice to see you."

I don't hear what Jayden says back, instead I stare at this woman with more distaste than I have ever stared at someone. I don't make it obvious, but female-to-female, I know she can feel it. Nobody stood up for Jayden, no female figure, and now he's a big boy who can stand up for himself, but that doesn't mean I still won't. The fact of the matter is, he has to maintain a professional character, but I don't have to. She doesn't have to like me. And I dislike her.

Suddenly, my ears perk when she faces me and asks, "And who's this?"

"You can call me Ms. Leighton," I remark and I see Jayden smile out of my peripheral.

I know I catch her off guard when her botox eyebrows twitch. Her husband introduces himself politely while we continue our stare-off. I see where Olivia got her looks from. But there is a distinction. Olivia's features were soft. Her mothers are rigid.

I cannot look at this woman and not imagine what she put Jayden and her daughter through when they were teenagers. It's one thing to physically abuse, but it's also another to emotionally. Although I haven't had a chance to fully get to know this woman in front of me, I know too much about her to even consider giving her a chance.

Ultimately, we take a seat, and the lawyers talk.

"My clients are willing to come to a consensus if your client is willing." We patiently wait to hear what the deal is. Their lawyer states that the Leeman's will pay a large sum of money for Jayden to drop the charges. 

It takes all of my might to keep my jaw from falling open. Jayden stays stoic, but I know he is screaming with frustration on the inside.

Did they truly think Jayden would take money over his child? I knew they were bad people, but this puts everything into perspective.

"No," Jayden states on his own, leaning back in his chair. "I will not accept, thank you for your time. See you in court in twenty days."

He stands hearing nothing else they have to say, grabs my hand, and we leave the Leeman's in there with no answers, just like they did to Jayden.

"Jayden, are you okay?" I question once more as he hangs his jacket up in his closet. I sit on the edge of the bed, waiting for his response. He booked it out of there as fast as he could. I know there was more we had to talk about, especially with his lawyer, but he did not care.

"Can you answer me?" I plead, and he finally stops pacing.

"You told them to call you... Ms. Leighton." He stares impassively, and then the room suddenly booms with laughter. I freeze, not knowing what on earth just happened. "And their faces!" He slaps his leg and continues howling.

I have never seen him laugh this hard. I can't tell if he is genuinely laughing, or if all of this has finally got to him.

"Jayden," I mumble, kneeling beside him. He is on the floor holding onto the door frame. He chokes out a couple more laughs, and then the room grows silent aside from the sound of our breathing.

His eyes, watery from laughing, stare at me like I hold the world's secrets. His fingers brush my cheek, rubbing ever so gently. I close my eyes.

"I love you, Sky."

My stomach tightens instantly and the breath I release in response sounds like a giggle. My eyes stay shut because if I open them, I'm afraid that this would have all been a dream. And I'll wake up beside him in bed.

Our noses touch and I feel his lips graze mine, but they don't kiss me. He continues his teasing, pulling his lips away each time I lean in for more.

"Jayden," I breathe against his mouth.

"Yes?"

"I love you too," I whisper.

And he finally kisses me. 

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading, xoxo Anna :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
65.9K 4.8K 27
Emily and River meet in Miami, where they have the time of their lives, but it isn't meant to be: the next morning, Emily leaves for San Francisco, l...
48.1K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
306K 247 36
Ellie Mattice is offered the opportunity of a lifetime when she gets accepted as an international student at a leading performing arts school in Lond...