Habits

By jynxyouowemeyoursoul

Nellie Lovett has always been in love with Benjamin Barker. Though when he returned to Fleet Street after th... More

Silent Demons
Justice
Regrets
Deadly Love
Questions
Really Living
Return
Truth
News
No More Hiding
Mistakes
The Cry Of Demons
Giving Up
The Plan
A Life Together My Pet
Blackpool
Monster
Does It Ever Get Better?
Secrets That Can't Be Told
Free From Fear
Reunited With The Past
Promises
Moving Backwards
Haunted
Dangerous Secrets
Leaving It All Behind
Living Life Apart
Changes
Return
Disappearance
Beautiful
The Sea

Not While I'm Around

294 9 8
By jynxyouowemeyoursoul

"You ready to go?" Sweeney called out.

He was standing by the door waiting.  He and his father were going out to find Sweeney a job and he felt impatient.  Sweeney was getting tired of staying here and he wanted to leave with Nellie as soon as he could.

"I'll be there in a minute!" He heard the slightly muffled response from James.

Nellie walked up to the door and looked up into his eyes.  He could feel the fear radiating off of her body and wondered what was wrong.

"Sweeney, can I go with you and James? I figured we could stop at the market and I don't want to go alone."

Nellie felt Cornelius staring at her.  She didn't want to be alone with him again.  Collin was leaving Blackpool and Johanna and Toby had left to say goodbye, leaving Nellie with the man she now feared.  It was then Cornelius' voice interrupted her thoughts.

"Oh, well Eleanore I'll go to the market with you, I'm sure walking around around with my brother wouldn't be a lot of fun."

Sweeney nodded, still thinking.

"Cornelius is right, we'll be gone for a long time and you seem tired a lot.  You should get some extra rest, as a matter of fact I'll stop at the market on out way back.  What do you need?"

"Um..." Nellie hadn't actually needed anything, she'd just wanted to get away from Sweeney's brother, "We need gin, and I could use some new shoes."

James stumbled clumsily into the room, grabbing his hat from the coat rack.

"Alright let's go," he sighed, out of breath.

"Bye Nell," Sweeney said kissing the top of her head and grabbing the doorknob. "When I get back I'll have a job, I promise."

Nellie nodded.  The door clicked shut and she closed her eyes.  Slow, heavy footsteps.  A hand gripped her wrist.  Lips pressed against her neck.  A tear rolled down her cheek.

"How nice of Sweeney," the hot breath of Cornelius hissed, "We don't have to go to the market, we have more important things to attend to."

——————————————————

Johanna entered the house, holding Toby's hand.  She turned to see Nellie sitting on the ground her head in her hands, crying.

"Mrs. Lovett are you okay?" Johanna asked rushing to her side.

"I'm fine love..." She said, wiping her tears.

Johanna didnt believe her, and neither did Toby.

"Mum what 'appened?"

"Nothin' dear, just a little said today tis all."

"Are you hear alone?" Johanna asked holding her hand.

"No, Cornelius is in 'is room."

Johanna stood making her way down the hall and opening the door to Cornelius' room.  He turned, smiling when he saw Johanna.

"Hello, glad you got back safely, what can I help you with?"

"Mrs. Lovett, I don't know what to do but shes sobbing."

Cornelius forced a look of worry onto his face though he inwardly felt angry.  They could've pieced it together, Nellie almost revealed him.  He walked out of the room quickly heading towards her.  As he knelt next to her she leaned away from his touch.

"You all right Nell?" He asked.

She nodded but didn't say anything, she was too scared she would reveal everything.  Too scared Cornelius would make things worse for her.  Too scared no one would believe her.

——————————————————

Sweeney let a small smile appear on his face as he looked around the room.  It was old and dusty but it could easily be fixed.

"I'll take it," he said pulling out a small boy, "How much?"

"Fifty pound," the man said.

It was expensive, but worth it for being able to move when making enough money.  He had eyed the place as they walked, it was directly next to a two-story building he had also looked inside.  It would be a perfect house if he could get it soon enough.  He took out a fifty pound note and handed it to the man.

"Thank you sir,"

Sweeney looked at how much he had left.  Twenty pounds.  Hopefully enough to get the rest of the supplies he needed.  He left the shop and began walking back to the house.  His father ran after him breathing heavily.

As he opened the door he saw Johanna, Toby, and Cornelius huddled together.  He walked forwards to see Nellie crying.  Walking forward quickly he pushed Cornelius out of the way and threw his arms around her.

"What happened Nell?"

She shook her head, "Nothin' love, I'm fine."

Sweeney switched his gaze to the other three who still sat by Nellie, "All of you leave."

Johanna nodded and took Toby's hand, leading him out of the room, Cornelius following them close behind.  Sweeney turned back to Nellie and stroked her hair as she cried.

"Nell, I need you to tell me the truth." He said softly.

Nellie couldn't.  It wasn't just because she feared her own life, but she feared Sweeney's too.  Cornelius had promised her pain if she revealed what he'd been doing to her.  She wanted Sweeney to trust her, but she couldn't tell him the truth.  So she lied, something she was good at.  She was always quick to think of a lie, good ones as well.  Lies that made sense and fit naturally into things she could manage to do and feel.

"I don't want to be here, I just wanna go back to London.  I miss our old life, just me and you.  I just want it back."

Sweeney held her tighter, "I do too Nell, one day we'll go back.  I promise.  But we can't focus on the future.  Dont worry Nellie I'm here for you."

Nellie buried her face in his neck, continuing to cry.  Sweeney kissed her head, wanting to comfort her he sighed and softly sang to her.

"Nothings gonna harm you, not while I'm around.  Nothings gonna harm you no love not while I'm around."

Nellie hid a small smile hearing his low voice sing so sweetly.  She loved him and wished she could tell him the truth.  But she couldn't, not until she knew they were all safe.

——————————————————

Nearly a month.  Nellie had still stayed quiet.  She would flinch at any touch and she knew Sweeney was worried.  She'd never acted like this.  It was a change no one had understood, except Cornelius that is.  He seemed to laugh every time she cried, he terrified her.  Every night she cried, worried he would choose then to attack her again.

Sweeney on the other hand still believed she just wanted to leave.  He'd been working full days to earn more and had Johanna and Toby helping him as well, not knowing leaving Nellie alone with Cornelius made everything worse.  He'd made a lot and in just a few more short dates he'd be able to afford the building next door.  He hadn't told Nellie yet, just in case things didn't work.

The door opened and Sweeney looked up from the book he'd been reading.  It was Nellie, she seemed tired.  He noticed almost immediately the bruises on her wrists.  He continued to eye her only just noticing the quite obvious clues.  Tattered corset, bruised legs, tired eyes, slight limp, and as always, tear stained face.  His eyes widened as he pieced it together.  Someone had attacked her.  He stood and walked over to her lifting her head so she looked directly into his eyes.

"Who did this to you?" He questioned sternly.

Nellie's eyes flooded with fear.  He suspected, no he knew.  She couldn't tell him the truth, not yet.  She thought quickly before an idea snapped into place.

"A man mugged me on the way back from the market," she said letting her tears flow.

"Nell. The truth." He demanded in response. "This isn't a one time thing,"

"Sweeney I'm telling you the truth, please believe me."

Her voice was firm, trusting.  Sweeney was hesistant to give up.

"Well are you okay?" He asked, still worried about a man attacking her.

"I'm fine, he took what I had on me but I'm okay now."

She felt so guilty lying to him, but she was doing it to save them both.  Wasn't she?

——————————————————

Cornelius looked in the mirror, fixing his shirt that was untucked.  Sweeney had told him how close he was to buying the small house next to his new shop.  It didn't phase him at all.  He was aware of how happy Nellie was to get away from him.  She believed when she moved she would be safe.  But Cornelius had other plans.  He'd already gotten Nellie to break.  She didn't try calling for help as she now knew, no one could.  Her leaving didn't change the fact that he owned her, she wouldn't be able to simply leave him.  He wouldn't allow her such luxury.  He had her wrapped around his finger and he wasn't planning on releasing her anytime soon.

A/N: I'm sorry it took me so long to get this chapter out.  My weekend was so confusing and I found barely anytime today to work on this update.  Hope you liked it though.  I may start updating every other day so I can start writing longer chapters and it just won't be as stressful.  Anyway thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 390 44
Act 1 of 2 [Romantic Horror] After Mr Todd and Mrs Lovett form a much needed truce, Nellie has trouble sticking to their promise. Soon they appear to...
1.2K 49 21
Here are some Sweenett one shots after Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett runaway from Fleet Street to live in the sea side. I'm not sure how far this will go...
12.6K 556 21
All she wanted was to be loved and wanted by someone, After 21 years of a hate filled life she looks for a quick fix and an easy way out. But quick f...
503 49 5
What if Lucy suddenly returned to Fleet Street. Not as the beggar woman as the original states, but as her old beautiful self? However her loving hus...