Beyond the Sinister (COMPLETE)

By ariksbell

"𝐀𝐡, 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐬𝐮𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭, 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡, 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐚 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐲." The death of... More

I. the wake
II. the funeral
IV. unknown sender
V. the ball
VI. bloody hell
VII. the haunted manor
VIII. the sudden visit
IX. not how you impress a lady
X. Get out
XI. hardheaded man
XII. playing good boy
XIII. Christmas creeps
XIV. you cry, you lose
XV. playing nurse
XVI. spontaneous trip
XVII. disguise
XVIII. security
XIX. where were you
XX. where am I
XXI. escape
XXII. farewell
XXIII. knowing me, knowing you
XXIV. love over all
XXV. the scheme
XXVI. controlling the truth
XXVII. paradise
XXVIII. he changed
XXIX. no more, no less
XXX. the happily ever after
XXXI. pleasure
epilogue

III. unwanted letters

7.4K 317 88
By ariksbell

A few days had passed since Seraphina decided to sneak outside the Canning's manor in the middle of the night, all alone, dressed in all-black attire as usual.

Struggling to take her mind of the gigantic and silent manor near the boarding school. Not once did she see a living soul in that peculiar house. When she asked the Headmistress about it, she just simply shrugged, telling her not to dwell on pathetic topics.

It was almost morning when she managed to board the carriage onwards Bath and by the time she reached her destination, the Headmistress and a few girls were surprised to see her so early knowing that she announced her leave for a month.

Nevertheless, they still welcomed her with such a warm embrace. 'They' only refers to the Headmistress and the boarding school's staff since Seraphina doesn't really have friends.

It was already in the midst of the day the subsequent day when she received a letter from her aunt in which it expressed her aunt's exasperation to her sudden disappearance, in the end, stating her understanding on why Seraphina preferred not to stay in Avebury, her hometown for now.

However, just as she began folding the letter, ready to be tucked between the aging pages of her book, she noticed a different yet familiar handwriting on the back.

Her soft fingertips ran across the words. Despite the absence of a signatory, she knew who wrote it for she received countless letters with handwriting like this for God knows how many times.

"You broke my heart, Love," Seraphina read the message aloud but not too loud, her brows meeting in confusion.

What does he want this time? Letting out a frustrated groan, Seraphina was almost compelled to tear the letter into pieces or perhaps, hid it between the pages of her most loathed novel just like the ones she did with his numerous unwanted letters.

Rolling her eyes, she cannot help herself from grimacing at his corny endearment. Of all words, why does it have to be love? It seems like Zachary thought about this word for so, so, so long. Even Aristotle couldn't come up with that, that's for sure.

The truth is, Zachary had been writing to her a vast number of letters ever since she was admitted here in Bath's boarding school.

In fact, he was the one who wrote to her as soon as she got here, beating Dorian and her aunt.

Ever since his letters are always without a signature to the point at first, she thought it was a mere letter from Dorian and was just simply playing a prank on her or perhaps he was too lazy to write his name.

However, when she discussed the letters to her friend, he quickly shook his head, stating that he had only written her a single letter throughout the month and that with his name on it, of course.

"You know I am not really a fan of letters, it's too old-fashioned, I must say. It's already the 19th century, not 16th. We got carriages, Sep. I find visiting you and sneaking here and then more convenient," reasoned Dorian out, sitting in the corner of Seraphine's room, his hands folded behind his head, his foot on the stool like a barbarian.

She rolled her leafy eyes heavenwards but her companion just laughed out loud at her reaction.

"Zip that annoying mouth of yours, Dorian unless you ought to have your unwanted presence here be put into light," she quietly exclaimed as they continued their game of chess for the 5th time this day.

The whole time, Seraphina doesn't know whether to be happy or disappointed over such information. You see, she practically grew up with this fella and so, she cannot help herself from feeling something for him. The point is, she knew it was unrequited.

Happy that Dorian would not give her such creepy yet blush-worthy letters but at the same time, disappointed, of course.

Seraphina quickly shook her head, brushing this kind of thought away from her mind. Don't worry, dear readers, no sooner did our beautiful innocent heroine realize that her infatuation towards her friend is just a mere phase.

It seems logical, come to think of it, everyone around her age, are having paramours of their own and yet here she is, just reached the age of ten-and-seven, and still, no experience of her own.

And it was after Seraphina went home back to Colchester, her hometown after a few months when she ascertained the identity of the man behind such nerve-wracking letters. The letters are so full of eerie poetry and constant nagging on how her day went.

It was in the midst of December, Seraphina just got back from her boarding school and now, she's here in the Canning manor with her aunt, paying everyone a visit, as usual.

Dorian was in the kitchen, fetching some apples for the horses in the stable when Seraphina decided to enter the drawing-room for a bit and there she saw Zachary completely engulfed in his writings to the point he didn't notice the sudden presence of his younger brother's friend behind him.

Curiosity ate Seraphine up and so, she decided to peek at what Zachary was working on and what she saw almost made her faint for he is writing such gruesome details on how to torture someone on their sleep without murdering the man.

He even had the guts to add some materials one might use. From pens, ropes, fork, and blanket to a knife.

What made it worse was that it was all written in Latin.

Seraphina studied Latin back in Bath. She is far from mastering it but she at least could comprehend enough.

Another thing is, she recognized that handwriting immediately for almost every other day, she'll receive another letter from the same handwriting with no signature.

She can feel the blood draining out of her body when Zachary looked behind him and caught her standing behind him with her mouth hanging.

Zachary promptly slammed his note closed, giving the girl such furious gawks.

It was the first time Seraphine saw Dorian's older brother like this. His eyes full of anger, his fists curled between him.

It was as if a part of him, a dark side of him, was laid open. Free for everyone to look upon.

Ready for a life-changing punch, Seraphina almost cried in relief when she heard Dorian's voice coming from the kitchen, singing one of his annoying songs with his toad-like voice but right at this moment, her friend sounded like an angel.

And with that, she is rescued by Dorian once again. Dorian then snaked his tanned arms around her as they were on their way to the stables, oblivious of what just occurred between his brother and his best friend.

However, Seraphina cannot focus much. Nodding to her dear friend was all she could ever do as she could feel the bullet-like stares of Zachary behind her.

After that, Zachary must've not figured out that she already figured out who was behind all the letters since when she came home from Christmas break, he still continued on sending her such creepy unwanted letters.

And so, that's when Seraphina decided to respond to a letter of his. At last.

Good day whoever the hell you are.

In case you haven't noticed, I haven't replied to a single letter of yours and so, I would highly appreciate it if you stop sending one.

I am growing tired of the various eerie so-called-heartfelt letters of yours, Mister.

Halt this foolishness this instant.

Sincerely not yours,

Seraphina Hearts

Is Seraphina's first and last letter to Zachary Canning back at age ten-and-seven.

The Seraphina in the present times let out a soft huff as she remembered those times and cannot help herself but to kick the bottom drawer of her nightstand containing some of his letters ever since she studied in the boarding school.

Seraphina continued her typical day in Bath. Studying in the day and sleeping or perhaps, reading a novel or writing a letter to Dorian and Aunt Veronica but the thing is, she no longer needs to write one for Dorian.

Seraphina glanced around her room. Despite residing in a boarding school, her aunt insisted on her having her own room in fear that other girls will find a flaw from her niece and tell the town all about it.

Seraphina did not object to her aunt's decision. If anything else, she completely supports her wholeheartedly. Imagine having a room all to yourself while the girls next door quarrel one another on who stole this and that.

As soon as the bell rang, signaling for all the girls to have their supper, Seraphina rose from her bed and proceeded to the dining room downstairs.

It was after a few minutes after supper that she decided to come upstairs and locked herself in her room instead of chit chatting with the girls.

And what she saw inside her room almost made her faint for sitting right in her bed is no other than the devil himself.

Without second thoughts, Seraphina grabbed the pillow on the couch beside her and threw it at Zachary.

"How endearing, I've always wanted to play pillow fight with someone," exclaimed Zachary, catching the white pillow in the air, not hitting him which made Seraphina frown and frustrated.

"What are you doing here, Mr. Canning? Your presence is unwelcome here," roared Seraphina back, her eyes scanning her surroundings on what she should throw next.

The kerosene lamp? Too dangerous.

The books on top of her desk? Too precious.

The jewelry she wore right now? Nah, they all came from Dorian.

The clothes draped along with the chair? That would be it.

And so, Seraphina quickly snatched it and was about to hurl the garment towards the unwanted visitor when she felt his warm hands around her waist. Completely invading her space.

Seraphina stood still, stunned at what just occurred.

It was only a few seconds after this unexpected embrace when Seraphina hit him in the arm, "Get your filthy hands off me, Mr. Canning. I asked you what you're doing here,"

However, Zachary just stood there, towering over her, his blond hair unruly, his tie loosened, his stares emotionless yet still intimidating, still wearing his signature black suits.

"If it's my brother, you'll act as if King George just arrived at your doorstep but if it's me, suddenly, you're looking at me like i'm going to kill you any minute now," uttered Zachary as he began walking around the room, his eyes wandering around the rose-colored walls. The wooden floors. The minimal desk and chair at the corner of the room, the boring brown couch beside the door, the white dresser and lastly, to the bed.

"It's because Dorian was my friend and you're...you're just his creepy older brother," Seraphina stuttered, her eyes staring back at his deep blue eyes.

His demonic chuckle can be heard in the four corners of the room, causing Seraphina's legs to turn jelly.

"And you are more than just a friend of my brother. Now, pray do tell me, scratch that, show me what he found so captivating about you," Zachary murmured, his dry and cracked lips near her earlobe, his breath in her neck, his calloused fingers trailing on her rosy shoulders.

With that, she looked up at him for a brief moment and covered her face with her delicate hands, "Please, Mr. Canning, get out," all this with her voice weak to the point she sounded as if she was pleading.

Seraphina can't deny it. She truly is on the verge of tears and is close to kneeling before her and begs him to just get out.

God must've heard her since, in just one blink, he is out of sight. Her eyes followed him, exiting out from the window in her bedroom.

Seraphina began walking around her room, biting her nails, unsure of what to do if ever that godforsaken man decided to sneak in again.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, she changed into her nightclothes and was about to head to bed and forget what just happened when an idea clicked her mind.

With that, she began to move her huge dresser right in the window. Forget fresh air, what she needs right now is to get away from that psycho.

She peeked from her window, her eyes scanning the whole surrounding, the moon illuminating above her, the cold breeze touching her cheeks, making her hair unruly and when her green eyes looked down, there she saw such a gruesome scene.

In an instant, screams enveloped the whole boarding school and in less than a tick of a minute, there stood the tall old woman behind her, holding a kerosene lamp, her wrinkles more evident.

"What was the commotion all about, Ms. Hearts?" exclaimed the Headmistress, still in her white frock and behind her stood dozens of girls who, like the Headmistress, all woke up from Seraphina's horrid scream.

Seraphina was glued to her spot, unable to speak and so, using her forefinger, she pointed at the scene below her window.

The Headmistress then strolled towards her, still gripping the kerosene lamp, and was on the verge of dropping it to the ground when she saw what her student just witnessed.

The Headmistress let out such a loud gasp and with that, the rest of the girls cannot manage their undying curiosity anymore, barging right into Seraphina's room to check what's so shocking about it. As soon as their eyes gawked at the bloodied scene, their faces mirrored Seraphina's and the Headmistress'.

Seraphine closed her eyes, praying that what was on her mind was all wrong. No way will he do such a thing.

Outside lies the boarding school's three gigantic guard dogs, their heads and feet chopped off from their bodies, swimming in the pool of their blood with an ax beside them.

What made it more atrocious was how all their eyes are picked out, their pale tongues sticking out from their mouth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 272 31
Y/n had been best friends with Michael since the age of eight years old, they grew up together developing a tight bond with each other knowing each o...
467K 18.7K 17
𝘏𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘬; #2 𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘳 - #1 - 𝘵𝘸𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘳𝘰𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦. After the tragic death of both parents, Sutton and Jaime are sent to l...
Gone By Rachel

Mystery / Thriller

66.1K 1.6K 18
New book out-> Confessions of A Dead Girl ------------------ Amelia was like any other girl; quiet, shy and not that interesting. And as life moved...
1.3M 24.1K 34
He watched her for months, craving every curve on her beautifully sculptured body. She was innocent and clueless of his intentions. He was going to d...