Community

By Ezra_Ann_

Levi Weaver is 17 years old and is Mennonite; living with his parents, his eleven brothers and sisters and tw... More

Introductions
Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Epilogue

Chapter 1

265 20 8
By Ezra_Ann_

"Children, time for breakfast!" mama calls from the door of our home.

All eleven of us children are outside doing our chores; even though there are twelve of us children little Rachel is only 2 years old and isn't old enough for chores yet. Allow me to introduce myself and my family.

I'm the oldest child, my name is Levi James Weaver, I'm 17 years and I will graduate this year and will take over da's furniture business when he is ready but I will work with him until then. Then there is my twin brother's Elijah and Ezekiel, who are 16 years old; then there is Noah and he is 13 years old. Isaiah is 12 years old, Samuel is 10 years old, then twins (yes, another set) Sarah and Seth, who are 9 years old. Rebecca is 8 years old, Hannah is 4 years old. Rachel is 2 years old and mama is pregnant with another girl, who will be named Leah.

Our parents are Levi and Abigail, both are 36 years old and have been married 9 months longer than I have been alive. Da's parents, David and Rebecca, live with us and ma's parents, Nathan and Mary Miller live next door to us. We are Mennonites; we live mainly in an all Mennonite Community but there are a few non-Mennonite members. The house on the left side of us is for sale and has been for a few months now.

"Levi, call papa and da," mama tells me as she places Rachel in her high chair.

"Yes mama," I turn to head outside to the workshop where both men are working.

"Papa, da, breakfast is ready," I tell them after softly knocking on the door.

Both men stop working on the chairs they are crafting to smile at me as da responds; "Thank you son; we'll be in a moment."

"Yes da," I reply before walking back to the house.

"They'll be here in a moment," I say to mama and ya-ya (our grandma, who lives with us) as I pick Hannah up to place her in her chair next to mine as mama and ya-ya place filled plates at the table for everyone.

"Thank you, son," mama responds with a smile.

Nodding at her as da and papa enter the house and mama and ya-ya place their plates in front of them as they sit at each end of the table at the heads.

"Levi, you'll drive everyone to school today; on your way home, I need you to stop at Mr. Youder's home to pick up the supplies for the workshop he has for me. Mr. Youder has already been paid," da informs me halfway through breakfast.

"Yes da," I quickly respond; normally the nine of us walk to and from school since it's only a mile away.

Once breakfast is finished, mama and ya-ya clean the table and kitchen, papa and da head back to the workshop as my brothers, sisters and I grab our school books that are held together by a belt and head to the wagon; we attend an all Mennonite school and the English attend another school.

"Everyone in the wagon, Ezekiel and Isaiah help the younger ones into the wagon as Noah, Samuel, Elijah and I hitch the horses to the wagon," I say as we set forth on our tasks.

Five minutes later, we're on our way to school; a small building with eleven rooms; eight for classrooms, one for us to have lunch in and the last one is for the headmaster and a secretary. The school houses kindergarten through the 12th grade; kindergarten has one whole room, 1st and 2nd in one room; 3rd and 4th in one, 5th and 6th in one, 7th and 8th in one, 9th and 10th in one and then 11th and 12th in the last room. In my grade, which is 12th, including myself, there are ten of us in total; six boys and four girls.

Having the two horses come to a stop, I tie them to one of the hitching posts before helping Sarah and Seth down from the wagon since Elijah, Ezekiel and Noah have already helped the other children down. Making sure everyone has their books, we head inside as Ezekiel, Elijah and I make sure our younger siblings arrive at their classrooms.

"Levi?" Rebecca softly asks as I hold her right hand in my left hand; while I walk her, Sarah and Seth to their classroom.

"Yes, Rebecca?" I respond as we reach the room and the three of them hang their coats on the hooks under their names.

"I love you," she mumbles; picking at the hem of her shirt sleeve.

"I love you, too," I respond; pecking her on the forehead under the rim of her black bonnet with a soft smile.

Rebecca is special, not that we all are not in our own way as God has made us that way; Rebecca is special in the sense that she is autistic. Of all of us children, Elijah, Samuel and I are her favorites and respond the best to the three of us; along with our parents and grandparents.

Turning my attention to my siblings, saying; "Have a good morning, I'll see you at lunch; I love you all."

"Love you, too," the respond; almost at the same time.

Elijah makes sure Samuel arrives at his room, while Ezekiel does the same with Noah and Isaiah before the three of us meet in our classroom. Arriving at my room, I find Elijah and Ezekiel already there talking to their friends so I find mine; Eli Zook, Daniel Youder and Amos Smoker.

"Levi, hello," Daniel greets when he notices my approach.

"Hello Daniel, Amos and Eli," I greet warmly back as I place my books on my desk.

"What are you doing after school?" Amos asks the three of us.

"I have to stop at Daniel's to pick supplies up for da," I say smiling. "How are you getting home, Daniel?"

"Walking home, why?" he responds curiously.

"Would you like a ride; I drove the wagon today?"

He smiles brightly at me as he sheepishly nods his head, he's very shy and soft spoken of the four of us; "Yes please, thank you, Levi."

"You're welcome, Daniel," I respond as Mrs. Sherk calls for us to sit in our seats; so she can start the lessons.

Three hours later, lunch finally arrives and I can feed the horses before having my own with my siblings and friends. Before exiting the school with a few others who have to do the same, Rebecca joins me to help.

"I feed Silver Blossom?" she asks as I grab the feed from the wagon where da placed it this morning.

"Yes, here you go," I tell her as I hand her a feed bag.

I'll have to help her but that's fine as she wants to help; "Levi, when will mama have Leah?"

"In two months, why?" I ask her as I finish with Walnut and help her.

"Just want to meet her is all," she responds with while she pets Silver Blossom.

Once the horses have finished, Rebecca and I head inside with our lunches we brought out us; sitting with our siblings and our friends, we eat our lunch. We have only two more hours of school left for the day; as our schooling is from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. daily; except for Saturday and Sunday.

I spend my weekends and after school time, doing chores and learning from da and papa about the family business; while Elijah and Ezekiel have become apprentices for Doctor Glick, to take over his practice since both of his children passed away in farming accidents. Everyone loads into the wagon with Elijah and Ezekiel sit in the wagon, allowing Daniel to sit with me on the bench; giving us time to talk privately.

"I'm thinking of courting Tabitha Lantz but I'm scared her parents won't approve of me," Daniel murmurs, his voice shaky.

"I'm sure they will, why wouldn't they? You're kind, caring, strong, you're taking over your family business along with a family farm," I say trying to reassure him.

"Thank you, Levi; has anyone caught your eye?" he asks as we arrive at his home.

"Sadly no, there isn't," I reply as I pull the reigns to stop the horses.

Turning my attention to my siblings while saying; "Elijah, Ezekiel and Noah, come help me, please; Isaiah watch the younger ones, please and stay in the wagon."

Hopping down with Daniel and my three brothers before hitching the horses in order to talk to Mr. Yoder and then load the wagon. Mr. Yoder comes from his barn, smiling in greeting when he notices us; "Hello children! I'm happy to see everyone; lets load the wagon. Some of the children will need to sit on the older ones laps."

"Of course, Mr. Yoder; nice to see you as well," I greet back while shaking his hand with my own smile.

Ten minutes later the wagon is loaded with lumber on one side as my siblings sit on the other side except for Rebecca and Samuel; who are sitting on the bench with me since Rebecca doesn't like to be touched often. Arriving home several minutes later, the wagon is unloaded and the placed away.

Quickly performing my chores, as are my siblings before we do our homework. By the time our chores, homework and dinner are completed, it's 8 p.m. and the entire family is spending time together before everyone takes their baths or showers and head to bed.

By Friday afternoon when we arrive home, there are people moving into the house that has been for sale next door to us; while performing my chores, I watch one man unloading boxes and taking them into the house. The guy looks to be my age; he is tall, very muscular with short black hair and naturally tan skin.

He's very attractive and this only confuses me more about myself - what my sexuality is; am I straight like I've always assumed I am or am I gay. In my religion, it isn't acceptable to be homosexual but I have heard of a few people who are Mennonites and that are gay and accepted by the community and church.

Perhaps tomorrow we can bring them a pie to welcome them to the community; even though they are not Mennonites, I'm not asking mama or day though, this is their decision. Finishing my chores along with my siblings, we do our homework before dinner and family time tonight. Tomorrow and Sunday, I'm working in the workshop with da and papa; Sunday is also our day of service, too.

Saturday morning, I'm working on my chores and then by 8 a.m., I'm in the workshop working with da and papa. About two hours later, there is a knock on the door; as I'm the closest to the door, I turn around thinking it is someone from my family. That is not the case though; it is the handsome man and his family standing outside the door.

Surprised, I raise an eyebrow at them, saying; "Hello, I'm Levi Weaver; can I help you?"

Placing my hand tool on top of the workbench, wipe my hands on my apron to remove the wood shavings from my hands; before extending my right hand to the older man, who takes it in his own with a firm grip and shake.

"Hello, my name is Aaron Morgan and I was wondering if your beautiful furniture is for sale?"

"Da, a gentleman is here; inquiring about purchasing furniture," I call out to him; as he and papa are in the back part of the workshop varnishing furniture.

Da arrives a moment later while wiping his hands free of stain on a rag; with a smile on his lips when he sees the family of five just outside the workshop door.

"Hello, I'm Levi Weaver; how can I help you?" he asks; shaking hands with Mr. Morgan. 

"Hello, Mr. Weaver; I'm Aaron Morgan and we were wondering if you're selling your furniture?"

Da nods; "Yes, what are you in need of? I can show you what we have and I can also make custom orders, too."

"A kitchen table with a leaf, ten chairs and a bed frame," Mr. Morgan responds with a hopeful smile.

"Follow me, please and we can discuss your order."

Da and Mr. Morgan head to the back area to view the pieces that are there, leaving me with the rest of the Morgan family.

"How old are you and are you a junior?" sexy man asks.

Raising an eyebrow at hi as I respond; "I'm 17 years and what is a 'junior'?"

"A junior is someone who is named after a parent," he explains with a smirk; as if I am stupid.

"No, da and I share names since I'm the oldest son. What are your names?"

"Oh, where are our manners? I'm Ashley," Mrs. Morgan explains; embarrassed. "This is Axel, Adam and Ashlen," she continues; pointing to each of her children as she says their names. 

"Welcome to Traverse City," I say; knowing if I don't, mama will be upset with me for having lack of manners.

Thank you," Mrs. Morgan responds with a wide smile.

"Levi, Levi!" Rebecca hollers as she, Hannah and Rachel run into the workshop.

Giggling at them as I scoop Hannah and Rachel into my arms; giving them each a kiss on the cheek and then to Rebecca, too.

"Yes, Rebecca?" I ask her; noticing the Morgan's watching us from the corner of my eye.

"Mama says we can ride horses tonight after dinner if you take us," she responds; latching onto my legs when she notices the Morgan family.

"I will; are Seth, Sarah, Samuel, Isaiah, Noah, Ezekiel and Elijah coming, too?" I ask her; trying to keep her attention away from them, since she doesn't do well with strangers.

"Yes, mama and ya-ya say some of us have to ride together," Rebecca responds.

"Are you riding with me or Samuel?" I ask her.

"Mama said I ride with Samuel; Rachel rides with you, Hannah is with Elijah. Sarah rides with Noah, Seth with Isaiah and Ezekiel rides alone in case we pick fruits for desserts."

Nodding with a smile at three of my sisters; "Tell mama and ya-ya, that we will do this."

"Okay, Levi!" she excitedly responds as I place Hannah and Rachel on their feet for them to head back inside with Rebecca.

"Wow, how many siblings do you have? You're wonderful with the girls," Mrs. Morgan asks.

"I have six brothers and four soon to be five sisters; as mama is pregnant with another girl."

"Oh my," Mrs. Morgan breathes in surprise. "I always wanted a big family."

"I love having many siblings," I reply with a fond smile; the three Morgan children stare at me with wide eyes at this statement.

"Do you want a big family of your own one day?" Adam asks curiously.

"I want as many children as I possibly can."

"Do you have a girlfriend?" Ashlen asks; almost to excitedly.

"No, I do not," I reply; hoping she's not offering; one - she's too young for me and two - I'm by far more interested in her oldest brother.

Ashlen smirks at me as Ezekiel and Elijah enter the workshop; bringing me wood from Mr. Yoder's to finish the night stand I'm working on for Mrs. Hamish.

"Thank you, Elijah and Ezekiel," I comment as they place the wood on the worktable.

"You're welcome," they reply in-sync before turning around to leave.

"Ezekiel and Elijah, these are the Morgan's, from next door; Mrs. Morgan, Axel, Adam and Ashlen," I introduce.

"Hello," the Morgan family greets them.

"Are you two twins?" Axel asks, tilting his head staring between the two.

"Yes, we are; we're 16 years; how old are you three?" Elijah asks; as Ezekiel is shy.

"I'm 18 years old, Adam is 16 years old and Ashlen is 14 years old," Axel replies for the three of them.

"How old are the rest of your siblings?" Mrs. Morgan inquires.

"Noah is 13 years, Isaiah is 12 years, Samuel is 10 years, Sarah and Seth are 9 years; as they are fraternal twins. Rebecca is 8 years, Hannah is 4 years, Rachel is 2 years and Leah hasn't been born yet," I respond as Elijah and Ezekiel leave to unhook the wagon and place the horses in the pasture.

Just then Mr. Morgan, da and papa come from the back and the Morgan's head home after we say our goodbyes. Returning to my work, while da and papa head outside to do something. Humming to myself as I work; unable to stop myself from thinking about Axel Morgan and all of his handsomeness. A light smile playing on my lips as I work; finishing the night stand by the time dinner is ready. Papa will varnish it tomorrow and I'll deliver it Monday after school.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 220 1
After losing his parents and being abused, Thomas is learning how to enjoy his life again - something he thought was impossible for him, but then he...
415K 22K 70
Elliot ditched his jock reputation after high school. He happily traded his cleats and shoulder pads for college cafeteria food and seminars notes. N...
79.1K 3.7K 26
Sequel to More Than Just Roommates!! **Completed** It's been ten years since the four boys first got together, and a lot has changed. They've gotten...
70.2K 3.9K 16
[BXB] Two boys, an ice cream store and a summer to fall in love. ✩✩✩ Outgoing Tanner makes it a mission to befriend his reserved coworker Austin over...