Unseen Love (Book 1 of the Lo...

By SleeplessInChicago

Joshua Miller had a very gifted life. So when his parents asked him to Marry Lillian. The daughter of a wealt... More

Unseen Love
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
chapter 15
Chapter 16

Chapter 11

21K 510 34
By SleeplessInChicago

Chapter 11

I could not believe I was swindled into staying here with them. I huffed as I washed the dishes in the kitchen. But I couldn’t help but smile. At least he knows now that I’m still pissed off, thanks to Rose. Just as that thought popped into my head. She came into the kitchen. She gave me her mega watt smile, “Cookie?”

I sigh, “Like father like daughter. Looking for what you can get from me, Huh princess.” I said laughing as I reached for the cookie sheet. She just giggled, not understanding a thing I meant. I served her a glass of milk and walked her to the living room. Where I had taken Joshua earlier. I placed the milk on the side table along with her cookie plate.

The cookies where still warm, since I had just removed them from the oven. I turned my head as I heard Joshua inhale “is that peanut butter cookies I smell?” I rolled my eyes at him and Rose giggled again.

Then I heard Joshua’s sigh. “I guess that means, your mommy is still making faces at me huh Rose? Guess there is no cookies for daddy?” He said trying to look pitiful. I was shocked at the blatant way he was trying to play me. He definitely is Rose’s father.

I sighed in defeat “how many would you like Mr. Miller?”

“Come now, my daughter is already calling you mommy. Least you can do, is call me by my first name.” He said in a teasing way. I shot him a glare.

“Oh, oh, no cookies for daddy.”  Rose said as she noticed me glaring at Joshua, which only made him laugh. It was a throaty, full belly laugh. To my horror, I found myself entranced with his smile. Since I met this exasperating man, I have never seen him so relaxed and free.

“Well then my little Rose seems you will have to share with daddy.” He tells her, but without saying a word. She shoves a whole cookie in her mouth. Palmed the last 3 on the plate and makes a mad dash to her room. Once the door slams closed, Joshua started to laugh all over again. “Damn, there goes my last hope for a cookie.” He said between chuckles.

“If you behave, I’ll get you the cookies.” I tell him as I go and get some for me and him. I placed his by him. Then felt myself blush as I place my hand over his. I had to guide his hand so he could feel, where the cookies and milk where. But the moment I removed my hand from his. He snaked his hand and captured mine in his.

“I meant it earlier. I really am sorry. Thank you for staying even though you are still mad at me.” Then he let go of my hand and I went to the other seat. I allowed myself the pleasure of looking at him as he dipped his cookie in the milk. Man he really is a good looking man. Even with all that stubble he looks good. Then those mmmm noises he started to make as he ate started to make my body tingle.

Not good, so not good. I thought as I popped a whole cookie in my mouth. But before he finished his cookie, the door opened. “Miranda you stayed, I’m so happy” said Randal as he walked towards me. “mmmm peanut butter” he said through a full mouth as he had snatched one of my cookies. I glared up at him.

“Is she giving you a dirty look dad?” Joshua asked laughing making me turn to him. “Hey where’s mom? I didn’t hear her follow you in?”

Randal took a swig of my milk and then turned to Joshua. “Mom got the beginning of pneumonia. The doctor is keeping her at the hospital for a couple of days.” All I kept thinking was holy crap. Get the hell out of here Miranda, before you get yourself in deeper here. This is not your problem. Let them deal with it.

I got up fast and went for my bag. “Well I’ll leave you guys to talk about your matters. I have to get back to work.”  I high tailed it out of there and didn’t wait for a response. By this time it was almost closing time. So I just went home. I had a lot to think over. I wasn’t sure how much emotionally invested I wanted to get with this family.

Before I made it home though, I took a detour and stopped off to see mom.  “So you deemed me worthy of a visit now?” She asked raising her brow.  I just shrugged, if she was mad. No amount of groveling would make her happy. She would just get over it in her own time. That’s how we are. We need to calm ourselves down.

“You still mad?”

She sighed, “I was never mad child. I love you and respect any decision you make. I raised you right and believe, you know what’s best for you. Can’t say I’m not hurt.” She shrugs “Been too many years harboring this anger. I can’t get rid of it over night.”

I wrap my arm around her shoulder and bring her close for a hug. “I get you mom. No pressure on my end. But I was wondering why you haven’t even called?” I ask still a little worried.

She sent me a dazzling smile. “I have landed a huge account. I am providing a large amount of flower arrangements for this corporation. I even had to hire another helper. So my little flower shop has grown by one.” She said all happy. “I am making so much more than I normally charge. They came at me with a bottom line that they would pay for my arrangements. When I tried to argue it was too much. I was told they would pay no more than their bottom line. It was already almost triple what I charge.”

I smiled happy for her, but my brain flashed an image of Lance. Damn old man, smooth move, but if I’m right and mom finds out. He will be dead where he stands, when she gets a hold of him. “So um mom, I have a slight problem.” I start to say.

“Is that family causing you problems already?” I went on to explain to her the new developments. She didn’t seem too thrilled. But she didn’t offer a solution either. Man I hate being trusted. I’d rather her just tell me what to do. After that I went home and cleaned the kitchen. It always helps me to think,when I clean.

Joshua’s POV

I heard the door close and I knew she had bailed. I don’t know why, but a part of me was mad, she just left me and my daughter. Yet she has no ties to us. She owes us nothing. Was I unfair to judge her by Lillian’s standards? Damn you Lillian for making my life such a mess. Who would have thought she would turn out to be, nothing more than a gold-digger. But for now, my priority is Rose.

“I am going to need to hire someone to be here for us.” I said as I scratched the stubble on my chin.

“Come on, let’s go soak up the sun outside while we talk. The doctor gave me these sunglasses for you and said we could take the bandages off. Has there been any change in that matter?”

“I did see color, well one color. But still darkness.” I said.

“Well come on” After unwrapping my eyes. He helped me outside and Rose had finished her cookies and decided to make, an reappearance. While she played at my feet, my father went over what a jerk I was again. How it wasn’t good to shut all my doors. How you never know when you will need someone, bla  bla bla bla bla. During that time it seemed like Rose would ask for Miranda every 6 minutes.

Ah, what a little traitor. I knew what I had to do. I wasn’t happy about it. But damn, it had to be done. Later that night, I got the courage and asked dad to dial up Miranda’s number. Each ring made my heart pound faster. I hate this feeling of having your fate in someone else’s hands. I’m talking literally, Rose would have no other.

Then finally I heard the soft “Hello.” I cleared my throat as my hand went up to smooth out my hair. I smiled, stupid move Joshua, like she can see you through the phone. Hell like if you can even see yourself for that matter. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard “Listen you perverted asshole, if you called just to breathe heavily.” She stopped when she heard my laugh.

“Miranda I’m sorry, this is Joshua.” I started to say.

“How the hell did you dial the phone if you can’t see?” she asked. I found myself rolling my eyes.

“Dad, dialed the phone, if you really must know. But I called for a reason. My Rose has been calling for you none stop since you left. I know we didn’t really get off on the right foot when we met. But um, I was wondering if you would consider listening to my job proposition.” I could hear nothing but silence on her end. I thought she might have hung up. “Are you still there Miranda?”

“Yes I’m here.” She said in a hushed voice.

Damn, I had fucked up more than I though. It was at that moment. I started to question myself. “I hope to have my sight back soon. I pray for it ever night, but regardless of that. My daughter means more to me than anything in this world. You seem to make her happy. You seem to be making such a difference in her life. You will not be helping because of me. Think of my daughter.”

Miranda’s POV

He went on almost begging me to help him and his daughter. Even went as far as to ask if I could live there during the week and I would have weekends off. That would be when Lance or Randal would take over helping him and Rose. They knew I had someone to help watch the daycare.  

He asked me to think of his daughter. How could I not think of Rose? That was what is stopping me. The thought of getting so caught up in her, then just walking away. Like another paid servant who has outlived the need they had at the moment. My heart would be broken with losing her.

Yet I found myself responding to his heart felt plea. I knew it must be killing him to ask for help.  Before I realized what I was doing I said yes. I hung up the phone. Then I put my head on my knees. “Miranda, what have you just agreed to?”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 104 37
Completed DISCLAIMER: This guide may end you in the following situations- falling in love, finding your long lost cousins, make new friends, make you...
13.4K 753 13
Angela Rose is eighteen years old. Brunette, lean, and tall. A curvy body, that many guys would want her to be their girlfriend. But they didn't like...
280 15 30
He has everything he wanted but love is something he thought he wasn't destined for not until he met Skylar Whitfield. This is a Lovestory of Vincen...
13.4K 266 52
Love...... The word tasted weird on my tongue Love makes a person stupid. Believe me when I say Love is blind, because I've been there before ***** "...