Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I could not believe I was swindled into staying here with them. I huffed as I washed the dishes in the kitchen. But I couldn’t help but smile. At least he knows now that I’m still pissed off, thanks to Rose. Just as that thought popped into my head. She came into the kitchen. She gave me her mega watt smile, “Cookie?”

I sigh, “Like father like daughter. Looking for what you can get from me, Huh princess.” I said laughing as I reached for the cookie sheet. She just giggled, not understanding a thing I meant. I served her a glass of milk and walked her to the living room. Where I had taken Joshua earlier. I placed the milk on the side table along with her cookie plate.

The cookies where still warm, since I had just removed them from the oven. I turned my head as I heard Joshua inhale “is that peanut butter cookies I smell?” I rolled my eyes at him and Rose giggled again.

Then I heard Joshua’s sigh. “I guess that means, your mommy is still making faces at me huh Rose? Guess there is no cookies for daddy?” He said trying to look pitiful. I was shocked at the blatant way he was trying to play me. He definitely is Rose’s father.

I sighed in defeat “how many would you like Mr. Miller?”

“Come now, my daughter is already calling you mommy. Least you can do, is call me by my first name.” He said in a teasing way. I shot him a glare.

“Oh, oh, no cookies for daddy.”  Rose said as she noticed me glaring at Joshua, which only made him laugh. It was a throaty, full belly laugh. To my horror, I found myself entranced with his smile. Since I met this exasperating man, I have never seen him so relaxed and free.

“Well then my little Rose seems you will have to share with daddy.” He tells her, but without saying a word. She shoves a whole cookie in her mouth. Palmed the last 3 on the plate and makes a mad dash to her room. Once the door slams closed, Joshua started to laugh all over again. “Damn, there goes my last hope for a cookie.” He said between chuckles.

“If you behave, I’ll get you the cookies.” I tell him as I go and get some for me and him. I placed his by him. Then felt myself blush as I place my hand over his. I had to guide his hand so he could feel, where the cookies and milk where. But the moment I removed my hand from his. He snaked his hand and captured mine in his.

“I meant it earlier. I really am sorry. Thank you for staying even though you are still mad at me.” Then he let go of my hand and I went to the other seat. I allowed myself the pleasure of looking at him as he dipped his cookie in the milk. Man he really is a good looking man. Even with all that stubble he looks good. Then those mmmm noises he started to make as he ate started to make my body tingle.

Not good, so not good. I thought as I popped a whole cookie in my mouth. But before he finished his cookie, the door opened. “Miranda you stayed, I’m so happy” said Randal as he walked towards me. “mmmm peanut butter” he said through a full mouth as he had snatched one of my cookies. I glared up at him.

“Is she giving you a dirty look dad?” Joshua asked laughing making me turn to him. “Hey where’s mom? I didn’t hear her follow you in?”

Randal took a swig of my milk and then turned to Joshua. “Mom got the beginning of pneumonia. The doctor is keeping her at the hospital for a couple of days.” All I kept thinking was holy crap. Get the hell out of here Miranda, before you get yourself in deeper here. This is not your problem. Let them deal with it.