The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

By The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... More

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 7: Allies?
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 11: Uncertainty
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 19: Watch Your Back
Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers
Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters

659 22 1
By The3meraldQueen

Third Person P.O.V.

Elyan's jaw hangs open in shock. "Edythe...is your sister?"

The men of Camelot venture into the forest, trying to follow the little tracks Edythe has left behind. No one had pressured Arthur to speak on what was happening, and no one needed to know. All they want is to get Edythe home safe and in one piece. Arthur didn't necessarily introduce the truth very well, the concept coming up in conversation. Arthur tried to avoid it once having said it.

"Twin Sister", Merlin corrects, having found out the night prior after Arthur had. Gaius could not keep anything, especially this important, away from Merlin.

"Why did she run then?" Percival asks, still looking worn from the night before. He seems even a little green from the rocking of riding a horse.

"I don't know", Arthur admits, the very same question having circled his thoughts all morning. But the answer doesn't matter to Arthur. All he wants is to have the chance to change her mind and a chance at possibly having a family.

"Is there anything else we should know about that Uther kept secret?" Gwaine asks, anger laced in the past King's name.

Despite being very happy for both Arthur and Edythe, knowing that this is a good thing, Gwaine feels anger toward the situation. Gwaine knows how hateful Edythe was when speaking about her parents. She never knew them, but she had resentment, that much he could tell. Gwaine had always sympathy for Arthur for having a father such as Uther. Even now, he finds himself feeling sorry for Edythe if she hadn't had the chance to meet her deranged Father.

Although no one else would admit it, all the men present feel the same.

"I couldn't tell you", Arthur clucks, his eyes fixed on the road ahead. He doesn't allow himself to think about it too much, not wanting to hate his father.

"It doesn't matter. None of it changes anything. Edythe is still our friend, and I see her no differently," Leon concludes, his voice catching everyone's attention. The knight has said very little the whole ride. "I think Edythe needs to hear us say those words, reassure her. I think she's just scared."

A few men nod in agreement. Arthur hears his friend's words, knowing that he is probably right, but still feels strange guilt. He knows there's more reason for Edythe's departure. He hopes he can reassure her, as Leon suggests.

With Arthur's lack of response, Merlin interjects, "It'll be okay, Arthur, she'll be okay. It wasn't by chance that we met her, and it wasn't by chance that Gaius found the letter. You'll see, everything will fall into place."

Arthur once again hears his friend's words. He doesn't find the strength to respond, lost in his thoughts– concerned for his sister.

A smile plays on Elyan's lips. "How do you stay so positive, Merlin?"

"How is it you don't?" Merlin throws back with a cheeky grin.

"I'll tell you what it is. It's all that destiny and fate crap that Gaius feeds him," Gwaine teases.

"Well, at least it's useful for something", Percival comments.

The men continue talking, the mood becoming much lighter. Although the men try their hardest, Arthur remains fixed on finding Edythe and nothing else. He is grateful his knights took the news so easily, much more than Edythe had done. But Arthur still has his doubts, wanting nothing more than to resolve this and learn more.

Edythe's P.O.V.

I'm drained, eyes hollow and cheeks stained with dried tears. My legs drag me on through the forest at an average pace, muscles beginning to hurt from the long journey through the night. I didn't rest. I haven't eaten. I haven't stopped. Even at daybreak, I didn't falter in my journey, headed in the direction of the White Mountains. It wasn't long after I had left Leon that all the emotion I had bottled up came rushing back to me. It forced a pool of tears to roll down my red cheeks.

My mind has been stuck back with Camelot and all the people who live there from the moment I left. But my body has pushed me forward, the little voice in the back of my head knowing what is best for me.

Despite my fluctuating emotions, I can say that it feels fantastic to be back out in the wilderness again. Although my body reminds me of how little activity I have been doing for the past month or so, I find myself enjoying the familiar emotion. Being back in the forest makes it appear as if my troubles are now behind me, though I imagine they're far from it.

I wonder if Arthur will come looking for me, if not Arthur perhaps the knights? Or have I made my stance clear about who I am and my ways after what I had done to Leon? I wince at the memory, regretful of the whole encounter. Agravaine indeed wouldn't permit it, even if Arthur had told him of the entire ordeal. Or perhaps Arthur will just completely forget it?

If that were so, it would be very convenient for me, and I could pursue the normal life I so desperately crave. But somehow, somewhere inside, I'm hurt by the idea of Arthur letting me go. Why should I think that when I'm the one who has run away?

I feel bad for leaving my friends who have been so welcoming to me. Especially Gwaine. I know we were becoming close, and he was opening to me as I was him. Gwaine has helped me through my 'rehabilitation', if not more so than Gwen. I regret leaving him without saying anything. And I regret having possible screwed up a friendship. Multiple friendships...I shake my head, pinching myself for allowing my thoughts to run.

For now, I plan to make it to the White Mountains, dispose of this stone and get the money needed for me to disappear from the earth. Hopefully, I will find peace in a new life undisturbed. I hope this Allister is true to his word and pays a good deal. If not, I suppose I could take the stone and sell it elsewhere, but I already feel guilty about bringing it to Allister. I don't want to fall back into too many old habits.

"Well, looky what we have here, lads!" A high-pitched voice observes.

With the booming voice, I leap to my side, dazed as I was lost in my thoughts. My eyes scan through the forest, but I find no sign of a figure.

"Ow, well, you've got to be shittin' me!" Another voice, this one deep and rigid, exclaims.

I leap once more, the second voice booming from behind me. I hadn't noticed in my absence of mind that I had wandered off my trial. I'm now in a dense forest, the sunlight barely cracking through the forest's embrace. I'm in a low valley, the plain of it quite broad, the edges gradual, easy to run up if needed.

"Don't know if I'll be able to share, boys", a third elegant voice states. This time the owner of said voice emerges from the forest. He's tall, very muscular. Dark hair hangs over his sharp features, hazel eyes beading at me. He wears thick leather attire, many swords strapped to his back and hips. His skin is exceptionally tan and rough, suggesting this man has seen hard work in his day.

"Oh, come on, boss!" the deep voice groans, its owner now appearing to my right. "Let us have some fun for once!" This man is shorter than their 'leader' with a menacing appearance. His clothing is ragged, with all kinds of disturbing weapons attached.

"Shut it, Dolan! You always get all the fun!" the first voice interjects, appearing behind me. He is slimmer, with all bones and no muscle. His hair is short and dirty, face narrow and sluggish.

As my senses come back, I realise I'm surrounded. Every hair on my body stands as my instincts scream at the bad situation. In the past, I've found myself in worse off positions. This should be a simple walk in the park compared...but with that in mind, the taller guy, the leader, appears a threat, and it frightens me to think what he could do. I know I must protect myself and the stone in my bag. It'd be an awful shame to lose it after coming this far.

"Quiet! The both of you!" the leader hisses, glaring at his comrades. I chose to keep myself facing him as he appears my more significant threat, but I keep my eye on the other two much the same.

"Sorry, Aro," both men say in unison, heads hung low.

My sight remains on the man, Aro, as he slowly descends the valley, eyes locked on me with curiosity and wonder. I can feel the presence of the other two, making sure they don't get too close for comfort. My muscles tense in preparation for the fight.

"What would a pretty thing such as yourself be doing wandering the woods alone?" Aro pokes, giving a wide toothy grin. "There are bandits out here."

The other two men laugh in unison at their boss's observation. Their laughs are uncomforting as Aro continues his slow trek toward me. I don't respond, slowly backing away from the engaging leader. In the corner of my eye, I see the other men closing in, giving me nowhere to run. Despite my situation, I remain calm, confident these fools know nothing of smarts.

I glance toward the forest, observing what tools I have to work with. My hand edges toward one of my daggers on my hip, knuckles turning white as I cling onto the cold metal hilt. Up ahead, the valley gets narrower, making it hard for anyone slightly larger to slip through. With the amount of armour and weapons, this lot have, there's no way they'll fit. I presume they're thieves of some sort, common burglars on the road, terrorising anyone they come across. This means they won't have horses, which they'd steal and sell for money.

"Woman of few words then?" the whiney fellow notes, gaining a glare from me.

Dolan nudges his friend in amusement. "Don't think she likes you, Wade."

"I don't have any money", I offer, keeping my voice smooth, addressing this to Aro. "So I suggest you move along."

"Ow, a threat! I like the feisty ones," Wade shrieks in excitement "it keeps things interesting."

This amuses Aro, gaining a chuckle from the god-like figure. In other circumstances, a woman would call Aro an attractive being, but the dark, lustful look he keeps sending in my direction suggests his personality does not complement his looks. Despite my empty threat, he takes another step, now too close.

"So much as breathe on me, and you'll regret it, pig", I warn, pulling out my dagger as not to make it noticeable. This comment only seems to amuse him more, which pisses me off more. I wasn't expecting my empty threats to work. It pisses me off when people mock my attempts.

"Come on, boss, we ain't got time for small talk", Dolan groans, sounding as though bored from the lack of action. "I don't fancy getting turned into a toad!"

Wade nods in agreeance. "Yes, Lady Morgana did sound hasty."

With the mention of Morgana, I pause mid prep for fighting, looking over my shoulder at Wade. They're working for Morgana...

Immediately all I had learned last night roars down on me like a hurricane. My thoughts focus on the idea of my evil half-sister, whom I have never had the privilege of meeting. Not that I'd want to. I do know that she's had it in for Arthur for a while now, wanting Camelot for herself. She's the one who had Olaf possessed and the hell stone intended for Arthur. If she has men venturing into Camelot, I dare wonder what it is she's up to...

"You're right", Aro acknowledges, a wicked grin plastered on his face. "I'm done talking."

Adrenaline rushes through me as Aro jerks forward, my hand also running forward to plant my dagger in the man's side. He lets out a groan in pain, already retaliating, his fist coming down at me. I'm quick to react, ducking under his punch, giving one good solid punch right into his rib cage. Aro tumbles forward, Wade and Dolan shrieking in surprise, advancing toward me.

I sprint toward the narrow valley's clutches, Dolan on my tail, his hand finding its way around my quiver, pulling back, the strap around my chest heaving me to a stop. Dolan is quick, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his chest. He throws me into the side of the west valley's side, causing me to groan in shocked pain. Wade and Aro are in the distance, Aro howling in pain as Wade rips my dagger from his side. I begin to panic, knowing I'll have no chance of escape if Wade or Aro or even both join Dolan.

Dolan's foul breath bushes my face as I struggle against him. His weight pushes up against me, the contact-making my skin crawl. He tries to reach for my shirt, but the foul man can't without blocking my retaliation with my protest. Seeing Wade and Aro regaining their feet, I bring my heel down onto Dolan's foot, causing him to take a step back. This gives me the opening to spit in his face.

He howls in anger, reaching up for his face, not reacting fast enough as I give a solid elbow to his nose. Dolan falls back to the ground, my feet carrying me away as the other two men advance after me.

The valley walls begin to close in on me, making it harder to sprint as I'm forced to shuffle along on my side. I hear the distant cries of the men as they become stuck behind me in the valley. Despite my plan working, I push on, not wanting to encounter that filth once more. Soon the valley becomes too hard to venture any further, so I do the only thing I can. Climb up.

The rocky walls dig into my hands as the dirt begins to fade away, harsh terrain taking its place. My foot slips, sending me back down the wall a few rocks before I regain my grip painfully. Stones cut into my flesh, drawing blood. The climb is cruel and torturous, but eventually, I heave myself to the top. Wet dirt clings to my form as light misty rain begins to fall on the forest floor.

The cries of the men become slight, reminding me of my threat. I leap to my feet, sprinting into the forest, which luckily appears to be thick and covered in much flora. The rain soon pelts down at me with no mercy, soaking down through my clothes like nothing.

My breathing becomes hitched and painful, darkness coming down over the forest as I don't stop to rest. I come across a thick tall tree, the base perfectly covered from the rain and sight out of luck. Cold and tired, I crawl under the tree, the branching acting as a perfect cover from the belting water.

I pull my cloak tightly around me, pulling my bag off my back to set it down as a pillow. I hadn't noticed when I lost my quiver and bow during the commotion, making me mad that I am now in a shortage of weapons. I only have a couple of daggers and my sword as protection as I journey the remaining forest to the White Mountains. I know I'm getting closer, but I need rest before figuring out how much further.

I curl up into a ball, shivering as I hear the rain increase, if that is possible, pounding the ground like boulders. I wish to light a fire but know I'll attract unwanted attention from the three men I had encountered—perhaps others. I shiver aggressively, but still, my body manages to rest, falling into a deep slumber...

...Edythe? A distant voice hums like an echo...Edythe, where are you? The voice questions...Edythe, I can hear you...where are you?

Edythe...

"Iseldir?" I whisper under my breath, eyes cracking open. Bright light floods my sight, the smell of wet pine and damp soil filling my nose. I glance around for a moment, still wrapped in sleep. Iseldir's voice becomes a distant memory as I pull myself up into a seated position.

A little brown bird watches me curiously from above, its nest hidden in the thick tree. I smile at the peacefulness, the magical world seemingly empty of anyone else. My body aches from the lack of rest, my hands bruised and scabbed from the valley. My clothes remain damp, but with the morning sun hitting the earth below, I'm no longer as cold as I was last night. I take in a deep breath, closing my eyes to enjoy the freshness of the forest after the rain.

Eventually, I drag myself from the clutches of the thick trees, wandering out into the dense wet forest. The sky is still dark with thick clouds, suggesting it will rain more later. I take note of this, deciding to get a move on in hopes I'll reach my destination before that happens. I reach into my bag to make sure the Emerald stone is still there, to which I'm relieved to find it is.

I reach a hill, the forest falling back to reveal the distant towering White Mountains. I feel my body relax at the view.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57K 2.3K 10
This is the story of two men, a prince and a loyal man-servant, trying to find acceptance and happiness whilst holding onto their love for each other...
40.6K 1.3K 17
Merlin is the prince of Crusia. Until his uncle attacked on night of him being crowned prince. He was taken from the battlefield and taken to Ealdor...
20.3K 506 15
The mythical city of Camelot, in a time before history began. A fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious peoples. A dangerous worlds in w...
37.6K 1.4K 36
Destiny...Fate...Call it what you will, has everyone set on a certain path. Merlin's destiny is to protect Prince Arthur, to see him become King and...