Chasing the Pediatrician

By _leensky

Kaitlyn Reynolds is an ordinary girl, trying to pursue her career in the medical field. She was too focus on... More

Author's Note
Cast!
Chapter 1 - Call 911 Please!
Chapter 2 - Emergency Operation
Chapter 3 - Reunion
Chapter 5 - Baloo
Chapter 6 - Charity Gala
Chapter 7 - It's a Trap
Chapter 8 - The Ultimatum and The Preparation
Chapter 9 - Summer Camp Day 1
Chapter 10 - The Missing Boy
Chapter 11 - The Rescue
Chapter 12 - Someone from The Past
Chapter 13 - I Never Forget a Deal
Chapter 14 - Of Thoughts & Jealousy
Chapter 15 - Be Honest with Your Own Feelings
Chapter 16 - The Devil from the Past
Chapter 17 - Manipulative Witch

Chapter 4 - Red Dress

119 3 0
By _leensky

Natasha drove her car fast enough to get to her boutique in only fifteen minutes. Beth was never like the way Paxtons drive their car because it made her anxious. They drive their vehicle too fast.

"Ladies, welcome to my humble boutique."

Kate gasped at the store in front of her. She never stepped her feet to these kinds of store before. She knew she would never afford any of the clothes they offer, so why bother? Still, with an awe in her eyes, she entered the boutique. Beth glanced at Kate and smile a bit. It was really nice of Nat to allow them to get ready with her and give Kate a chance to get a makeover.

"Your boutique is beautiful..." Kate said in amusement.

"Why thank you dr. Reynolds. Please come." Natasha welcome them and led them to the back studio where her daughter is.

"Mommy, why you took so long?" a tiny voice called Natasha when they entered her studio.

"I'm sorry honey, but mommy is here." Natasha reached out for her daughter's hand and led her closer to her guests. "Sara, I want you to meet my friends; Kate and Beth." The little girl hid behind Natasha's legs.

"Hi there, I'm Kate." Kate was down on her knee to get closer to Sara and pulled out her hand while Beth waved. Sara's a shy girl, but she took Kate's hand and shook it.

"I'm Sara..." She said quietly. "Sara, it's a pretty name for a pretty girl." Kate smiled at Sara.

"Thanks." This put a smile on Natasha's face. Sara rarely gets along with new people easily. But with Kate, she willingly had a small conversation on their first meet.

Natasha let Kate and Beth chose their dress of liking and made them try it on. Natasha herself already has dress for tonight. She also called some of her favorite makeup artists and hairstylists to help her giving the two doctors a makeover.

Kate was looking through the dresses on the shelves, there are too many dresses it made her head hurts. She has never been the type of girl who got invited to many parties, let alone this kind of party. But then her eyes fixed on a strapless red dress. It caught her attention.

"Oh yes! Please try that one on!" Natasha saw Kate was looking at the dress in her hands.

"Oh no, I don't think this dress—um, I just adore the pretty dress. That's all." Kate said shyly and put it back on the shelf.

Natasha pushed Kate to the fitting room while holding the red dress, "nonsense! It will look good on you. Go on!" Nat cheered as Kate got into the fitting room. After a while, she stepped out and found Sara sat on the couch in front of her.

"Kate you look like a princess!" she exclaimed, it made Natasha and Beth looked at her direction in excitement.

"This is the dress for you!" Beth cheered. The color of the dress really compliments Kate's skin tone.

"I don't think—" her words cut by Natasha. "Kate, listen to me. I know this whole thing might overwhelm you, but the dress had made a choice. And it is you. Looking for a dress should be mutual from both sides; the dress and the person. Lucky for you, you just got a match! Now I don't want to hear any excuses, you look stunning in this dress Kate. Now since everyone has their dresses, it's time for makeup and hairdo. Let's go."

After all set, they all headed to the Paxtons Mansion. Kate couldn't believe her eyes when Natasha's car entered a huge and extravagant mansion. On the other hand, Beth was really nervous. It's been so long since she attends this kind of party and she's not sure how to handle all the talking, especially with her parents' colleagues. She knew her brother will be there, but the nervous still ruling her body.

"Kate! Beth! You made it! I am so happy to see you came!" Margaret was pushed on a wheelchair by a nurse welcomed the two doctors with a big hug.

"Come, let me show you around, dr. Reynolds. Beth, I'm sure you know your way around here, right? Do you mind if I steal your friend for a while?" Margaret pulled Kate closer and asked the nurse to pushed her away from Beth before she can answer. She just shrugged, 'the house still looks the same, it feels the same as well...' then she made eye contact with the pairs of blue eyes she's been avoiding this whole time. She broke the stares and quickly walked away, trying to find Noah.

Margaret was eager to introduce Kate to every guest she had and made the doctor a bit overwhelmed. Some guys couldn't keep their eyes off of her, who wouldn't? Her bright red dress surely made quite an entrance and stole the spotlight of the Gala. Not to mention her natural makeup and wavy long hair made her appearance look stunning. Some offered her a drink, some didn't give her enough personal space, and some just too eager to talk to her. She tried to politely decline it all, tried not too bothered about it, and followed Margaret. After several introductions with many people, Margaret finally having a serious conversation with a couple of persons. Kate took this opportunity and excuse herself, away from those people she never thought would ever talk to.

"Good evening miss." A tall guy with dark hair greeted her right after she escaped Margaret. 'Here we go again...' she thought.

"Good evening sir." She answered politely, giving him a small smile.

"It's Craig West from West Inc. You know, it's quite mesmerizing, your appearance and makes it hard for me not to keep looking at your direction." Kate had enough with the sweet-talking coming from guys. This man just wasting his time.

"Well, thank you, sir. I actually need to go to the loo, so if you will excuse me..." she left him without giving him a chance to reply. Craig took her attitude as a challenge and he's always up for a challenge. One way or another, he's pretty sure they will see each other again.

"Excuse me," Kate stopped one of the waiters. "Where is the restroom?" The waiter showed her the direction to the restroom and she thanked him.

She actually felt like an outcast, like she doesn't belong here. Not to mention all the attention men gave her tonight just giving her a headache. Everyone seems well-grounded and important, they wear their confidence and walked around like they own the place. She could never act like that. But to think about it, she still can't believe that she could attend this kind of party, in this kind of dress. Natasha's designs are brilliant and the dress she's wearing is really pretty. She does feel pretty tonight though.

She went outside the restroom and found herself in a different room than she remembered. She thinks she's in the main house instead of the Gala area and she has no idea how to get back there. The interior is beautiful, it has many pretty and rare collections of paintings. She managed to get outside of the mansion to find herself in the backyard of the house. It has a swimming pool, a water fountain, and a rose garden. The clear night sky really compliments the sight she's having.

"Good job Kate, now you're lost in this huge mansion." She sighed, but she enjoys the view so much. At least she was away from those guys trying to talk to her. She just didn't use to these kinds of affections.

"What is a pretty lady doing here alone, far from the crowd?" suddenly a deep voice came from behind her. She startled a bit and found the blue orbs were looking straight at her.

***

Josh just finished his third meeting for the day and he felt exhausted. He looked at his watch, it was 4 in the afternoon and suddenly his phone rang. It was Margaret.

"Good afternoon Grams." He greeted his grandmother.

"Joshua, you didn't forget about the Gala, right?" she asked him and he mentally slapped himself.

"Of course not, Grams. Tonight at 7, correct?"

"Correct. At Paxton Mansion. Don't be late dear."

"I won't. See you soon Grandma, love you."

"Alright, love you more, dear."

How could he forget about the Gala? He called Mrs. Black and checked his schedule one more time, the Gala wasn't on it. She told her to put it right away and cancel anything at the same time as the Gala. His grandmother and his parents would kill him if he didn't show up. He was keeping himself busy after his encounter with Beth earlier this week, that's probably why he forgot about it. Now to think about it, she could be there and his sister probably giving her best dress for her. He massaged his forehead a bit before he headed out to his car.

"Simon, to my place. And you are dismissed for the night. I'm going to go to my parents' house." Simon nodded at Josh's words.

"Of course, sir, thank you."

This annual Paxton Charity Gala was initiated by Margaret to help to raise money for the Paxton Foundation. After the death of his husband, Margaret wanted to make a good cause on behalf of his husband's hard work. The Foundation tackled the education field, orphanage, scholarship, and also environmental issues.

Josh was sat on one of the couches with a blonde chick he didn't even remember her name when he saw his sister and his niece entered the room. He smiled at Sara who looks like a Disney princess with a tiara on her head. Then he got distracted by the two women behind his sister; Beth in a sleeveless bodycon white dress with her signature bold red lipstick followed by Kate in a strapless red dress that really looks good on her. He noticed most of the males in the room turned their attention to both doctors. They surely know how to steal the spotlight.

Beth look smoking hot with her white bodycon dress and bold lipstick; he wouldn't lie she aged well. But at the same time, the lady in the red dress also looks stunning; her natural look combines with the sexy dress she wears makes her look sexy and innocent at the same time. He felt the sudden urged to protect her from the hungry stares of many predators. He shook his head lightly, what was he thinking?

His grandmother greeted her and locked Kate's hand with hers and show her around leaving Beth alone. She looks uncomfortable and then her eyes met his. It wasn't long until Beth broke the staring and went away. He excused himself from a blonde chick who sat with him, he has no interest in her, to be honest. He followed Beth from afar and saw her approached Noah in the bar. He leaned at the wall next to him and crossed his hands while watching her.

She looks different, her aura also told him that this woman is not the same woman he knew three years ago. Yes, he can definitely feel the gap she gave him. He himself still doesn't know how to talk nor act casually around her without feeling confused and pain. He took a sip of his drink before turned around to the couch.

Josh saw the other doctor was talking to one of the waiters and headed to the restroom. dr. Reynolds surely look stunning tonight. He admits Natasha really did a good job on Kate's appearance. A guy approached her and tried to talk to her but her body language showed that she was a bit uncomfortable, the guy stood really closed to her. He was about to save her from the weirdo when she said something to him before she walked away. This made him smile and he decided to follow her.

Josh leaned on the wall close to the restroom, waiting for Kate to come out. Instead of coming back to where the Gala is, Kate headed to the main house. He wasn't sure if she did it on purpose or she just gets lost in his house.

"What is a pretty lady doing here alone, far from the crowd?" Josh's words came out really smooth from his mouth, making her startled. "I'm sorry dr. Reynolds, did I surprise you?" he said while walking towards her.

"A bit," she murmured. Her voice came out shy and low. She felt her cheeks getting warmer by just starring at those pair of blue eyes. "Erm, I am kind of lost. I'm sorry for wandering around in your house unattended Mr. Paxton." She said again with a louder voice.

"Don't be, I know this house could be confusing sometimes, even more on the first visit." Now Josh was standing next to Kate. "Champagne, dr. Reynolds?" he had two drinks on his hands and offered her one. She nodded and took it from him before saying "thank you."

Kate knew she shouldn't drink too much alcohol but again, she just trying to be polite. Josh was standing close to her and she can smell his aftershave. His straight posture and deep blue eyes made him look more attractive than he already is.

"dr. Reynolds, you look absolutely stunning tonight." Josh said while kissed Kate's hands. This is the second time he gave her this kind of gesture. Kate wasn't ready for this. She was blushing like crazy and turned her head in another direction. Josh just smirked watching the lady in front of him blushed. He likes it when he watched dr. Reynolds blushed because of him. He never feels this way towards a woman before. What is wrong with him?

She mumbled 'thank you' and glanced at Josh before looking back to the backyard, made Josh turned his body towards the backyard as well. Somehow, he enjoys watching her blushed because of him. He rarely hangs around a shy woman since all the women he's been with are trying to get his attention. Who can blame them? He is irresistible.

"Your house is beautiful, sir." She said smiling. "Oh please, just call me Josh. You make me feel old. We're not that different in age, aren't we?" Kate took a glance at Josh and apologized.

"Of course, Josh, my apology. And it is Kate for me." He nodded.

"I never got to say this, but I am amazed, Kate."

"Pardon?" Kate turned her head toward Josh and raised one of her eyebrows. "dr. Clarke told us about what you did to my grandma. I must admit, after knowing it was you, I think it was kinda hot." What's wrong with her? This guy always successfully made her blushed and she was never prepared for it. Meanwhile, Josh smirked at himself; out of many guys who tried to get her attention, he surely could get it without trying.

"It was nothing, really, I was just—" before Kate could finish her sentence, she abruptly cut by someone.

"Kate? I've been looking for you." Beth was standing behind her with a look Kate couldn't understand.

"Beth! I am sorry, I was lost when I went to the restroom. Then Josh came—" again, she was cut by Beth.

"You're drinking?" she pointed at Kate's hands. "Oh, this? I didn't—it was—" Kate couldn't understand why she stuttered like she was caught red-handed for doing something bad.

"It was my fault. I gave it to her." Josh stepped in and defended Kate while turned his body towards Beth. "Oh well, you shouldn't be drinking anymore. Let's eat something." Beth ignored Josh's explanation and took Kate's hand, pulled her inside the mansion.

Josh looked at the two doctors getting far from him. He took another sip of his drink. 'What is wrong with Beth? Was she jealous?' this made him smirk. She could be jealous. 'After all this time, she finally couldn't lie about her feelings for me. This should be interesting.' Josh thought again before he entered the mansion with a smug smile. Now he has a plan.

Beth took Kate to grab something to eat. She couldn't believe it when she found Kate was alone with Josh. What was he doing? Flirted with Kate at the hospital was acceptable, but if his plan was to messing around with her best friend, she will not let it happen.

"Kate, you should watch out what you consume. You've been pretty busy these days and your blood sugar went down a few times." Beth called out on Kate.

"I'll be fine, I didn't drink that much. It was just a polite manner. Don't worry." Kate reassured and Beth nodded. "Good evening ladies." Noah came and greeted the two doctors.

"Good evening Noah. It's good to see you." Kate greeted him back with a smile.

"Likewise, Ms. Reynolds. You look hot by the way." He said with a wink and made Beth rolled her eyes. "Stop hitting on my friend! You are unbelievable Noah." Noah and Kate chuckled at Beth's comment.

Suddenly soft music played in the background, many people came down to the dance floor and started to slow dance. Noah looked at Kate and about to asked her to dance with him when suddenly Josh came behind him. "Care to have this dance with me, Kaitlyn?"

Kate had a hard time to swallow her cake because she was nervous about what just happened, why Josh gave her all the attention he did? She gulped, "Uhm, sure, but I can't dance."

"Don't worry about that." He gave her a reassuring smile and offered her his hand. She looked hesitant but took it eventually.

"My, my, my Paxton. I was about to ask Ms. Reynolds to dance with me." Noah announced but Josh just chuckled, "you better move faster Graham."

Beth was slightly annoyed and worried with what just happened. She didn't want Josh to take advantage of her Kate. She was already hurt by men; she doesn't need another testosterone to broke her.

Josh led Kate to the dance floor and he put his hand on her waist while another one held her hands. She also rested one of her hands on his shoulder. He wasn't the type of slow dancer but if it what it takes to make Beth even jealous then be it. He stole a glance at the blonde girl, and she looked unpleasant with what just happened. He smirked and looked down at the woman in front of him. She was looking down at her feet even though there's a handsome man in front of her. He lifted her chin and made her look at him.

"Eyes up here, doc. Don't worry about it, you are doing great." He smiled at her. She gave him a soft chuckle and she blushed a bit, he wasn't sure though. The dim light made it hard for him to notice but he surely knows the woman in front of him looks dashing tonight. He knew his family and other guests are watching them. To be honest, he didn't mind at all. He heard many guys were saying the lady in red dress is the spotlight of the Gala tonight. To think about it, Kate does look amazing. The red dress made her look hot yet she has this pure and innocent look; what a deadly combination for the male species.

On the other hand, Kate was feeling a bit uncomfortable because she felt many eyes were looking at her. Maybe agreeing to dance with Josh is a bad decision after all. Some girls were looking at her in annoyance, but for a moment she saw Natasha smiled in their direction; the kind of smile that comfort her and made her uncomfortable at the same time.

The song ended and they broke their position. "You're not that bad of a dancer, doc." He grinned at her. "Why thank you, Mr. Paxton." She said before she bid her goodbye. She couldn't stand the attention; she needs to get away for a bit.

Joshua chuckled at the doctor's behavior. She looked contented but awkward at the same time. She could manage to control her emotion but her body language couldn't lie. His actions affected her so much and he likes to see her reactions. He took a glass of whiskey and took a sip while watching her walking farther from him. Josh didn't notice that Beth was walking towards him.

"Paxton, can we talk?" he was taken aback by this. He didn't know Beth would react so fast to his actions towards Kate but he's not complaining. "Sure Graham, it's been a while isn't it?" Beth rolled her eyes and walked past him. Josh followed her towards the side terrace of the mansion.

"Spill it." Beth commanded and Josh raised his eyebrows.

"What do you mean?"

"I want to know your plan towards my friend. I knew something was up and let me warned you, leave her alone." She threatened him and made Josh laughed.

"What are you talking about Bethany? I was just being friendly to your friend. Can't I be her friends too?" Josh was amused by her feisty attitude. God, he really missed her.

"I am not joking Paxton. If you ever do something to hurt her in any way, I will hunt you down to the deepest pit of the world." Oh this should be fun, he hasn't even started his plan, yet Beth already makes a move to him.

***

A few guys approached her and offered her drinks but she turned them down. With all the glares girls gave her, Kate felt she needed some fresh air, away from the crowd and judging stares. She really wanted to go home, it was a long day already and she wished she's in her bedroom reading her book. Kate managed to go outside, to the side garden, escaped from the crowd. She sat on one of the park benches and took a deep breath. 'What an experience!' she thought. The sky was clear and she could see some stars, it was beautiful. She took another deep breath and try to relax.

Her mind traced back to Joshua Paxton and felt her cheek getting warm. What is wrong with her? She just saw him a few times yet he could affect her so much she can't control her body. She felt embarrassed, he might think she's some weird girl. Who knows he does all of that out of politeness and just wants to be a friend? Yet she still blushed so bad every time he did something towards her. Sure, he looked like those models with perfect jawline, clear blue eyes, straight posture and he definitely has some muscle underneath those suits, but still! This frustrates her.

Not long after she went outside, she saw Beth and Josh walked outside. This is the first time she saw them talking to each other. Beth had a serious expression on her face while Josh looked amused and chuckled a few times. Kate was wondering what they were talking about before she realized she was minding other's business. She shook her head and went back inside. She didn't want to seem like a creep.

She smiled politely to a few guests who made eye contact with her and she greeted by Irene. "Kaitlyn darling, I haven't got a chance to say hello. I must say you look absolutely amazing tonight. Natasha and her team did a good job."

"Mrs. Paxton, it was nice seeing you. Thank you for inviting me and yes, Natasha's dresses are beautiful. I couldn't thank her enough." Kate answered made Irene smiled.

Before Kate could say anything, she heard Natasha screamed, "Help! Anyone!" they both turned to her with Sara in her hands. Adam immediately dialed 911 while Natasha was crying and Sara was suffocated. Kate ran to them, "what happened?!"

"I don't know," Natasha sobbed, "She was having her dessert not long ago, and then she became like this." Kate was also having the cake earlier and remembered it has a peanut in it.

"Does she have any allergies? Peanut?"

"Not that I can recall. Please help her!" Natasha begged, still crying.

"Does anyone have an epinephrine injector?! Epipen? Benadryl maybe?! Anybody?!" Kate stand and shouted with a serious expression on her face.. Sara tried so hard to breathe and really looked in pain.

"Anyone?! Hurry!" Noah came and helped Kate. Making all the eyes turned at their direction.

Beth and Josh heard some noises from inside and rushed to the ballroom. They found Sara was looking really ill and Kate was shouting something about Epipen. It was an injector for a bad allergy reaction.

Someone raised his hands and gave it to Kate. She was glad the dose was mild, it's safe to give it to Sara. She injected the Epipen to Sara and she slowly breathing normally. But she looked exhausted. Kate ordered to clear the area and made a quick examination for Sara.

"I heard Adam called 911, she still needs to be taken care by professionals since I didn't bring my stuff. I suggest you still take her to the hospital." Kate informed Natasha and Adam. They nodded and thanked her again. Natasha and Adam took Sara outside when the ambulance arrived

"Kate, what happened?" Beth approached her with a concerned look. "I think Sara has an allergy for peanuts. She ate the dessert and her body reacted shortly. I'm going to come to the hospital with them."

"I'll drive you, dr. Reynolds." Josh stepped in. "There's no need Mr. Paxton. I'll be fine in the ambulance." Kate turned his offer down but Josh insisted.

"Nat and Adam probably going inside the ambulance too. And you're wearing this gown. I don't think it will be very comfortable for you. Please let me drive you. You saved two of my family members doc." Kate finally agreed and followed Josh to the garage where he parked his car.

"Noah, let's go to the hospital." Beth pulled her brother's hand. "Wait, why? Don't you think there are too many people coming to the hospital already?"

"I have bad feelings about letting Kate alone again with Josh. If you don't want to go then give me your key." Noah gave in, he and Beth followed Josh's car.

"So... is this means you're jealous of Kate and Josh, or..." Noah trailed and took a glance at his sister. She snorted, "me? Jealous about Josh? You know me better than that Noah." She looked at the road outside her window, "I just had this bad feeling about it, okay? I'm just worried Josh has other motives towards Kate and I don't want her to get hurt. We both know what kind of reputation Josh and you have with girls."

Double updates, yay! Tell me what you think about this chapter! I'd love to know your thoughts :D

Linski xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 681 23
Mallory finds herself brokenhearted when she loses the love of her life in a tragic accident. She's left to pick up the pieces of her life with the h...
4.4M 155K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...
148K 4.7K 63
"I thought it's not nice to judge people by their cover" He smirks "Let me get to know you then" ... Jessica Whitens is a 20-year-old self-made milli...
2.1K 75 25
Brianna kissed a stranger in front of his date and experienced her first kiss with him. They met again in a gala, she was with another man but they b...