Nancy Drew: 1. The Old Clock...

By AuroraMandeville

Nancy Drew and Helen Corning check in on their friend Emily Crandall after she loses her mom, only to get cau... More

Checking In
The Hardy Boys
Running Lilac Inn
Emily's Mystery
Staying at the Inn
Making Calls
Secret of the Old Clock
Turn of Events
Stolen Items
Sunday Plans
A Surprise Clue
The Fourth Clock
Mini Golf
Yet Another Clue
Getting Some Help
The Radio Clue
Helping Hands
A Boat Ride
Heart of the Lion

A Breakthrough

516 22 14
By AuroraMandeville

Nancy stood there for a few minutes that seemed to last an eternity, shocked. What in the world was going on? What was going on at the lake? What else was Buddy not telling her? Why did he know her mother's name, and why was he swearing on her grave? He was trying to tell her something, wasn't he. Just, what exactly was he trying to say? Besides staying away from the lake and let him handle it. Could she trust him to handle it? As a matter of fact, handle what? Bringing the culprits to justice? When exactly would that happen? If she told him they had stolen several pieces of her mother's jewelry, would he try to handle it sooner? There were so many questions, and not enough answers. Would she be able to figure them all out anytime soon before the culprits tried to bail, or before Buddy tried to handle them? As a matter of fact . . .

"Hey Drew!" Nancy jumped, startled out of her musings. She turned, and groaned inwardly. Deirdre began laughing. "What's the matter Nancy? Is the ghost that haunts Lilac Inn actually your mother?" Nancy blinked. What kind of insult was that? "It's been six years! Time for you to get over it!"

Nancy sighed. "Deirdre, now's not the time . . ."

"Oh wait, you wouldn't, because I have my mother and you don't!"

Nancy balled her hands into fists. She just heard her mother's name spoken to her by a complete stranger, at least, she didn't know who he was and now Deirdre was pulling her usual torment. Nancy was done with it. "Well that's because your mom doesn't do anything!" she shouted back before walking briskly past a surprised Deirdre. Sure, she was done with this, but she was still angry and she needed to cool down. She practically stormed into the inn past Jane, dashed up the stairs, grabbed her purse, and dashed back down.

"Nancy, what's wrong?" asked Emily, worry spread on her face.

"I'm fine," she mumbled. She got to her car, got in, and drove off. She had no idea where she was going to go, only that she had to get away from Lilac Inn for a bit, just a few minutes. That was all she needed, a few minutes to calm down her fiery temper, and maybe the sound of a familiar voice could help with that. She didn't seem to pay much attention to where she was going, until she found herself in the parking lot of Ariel Park. She smiled ruefully, her mind was still on the mystery, even when she was technically emotionally compromised, she still thought about the mystery. She just had a thing for puzzles, just like her mother. And, just like her mother, she had a fiery temper. Apparently Scottish tempers were hard to get rid of. Speaking of her mother, she thought Deirdre was right about one thing, it had been six years. Why hadn't she let go yet? She placed her head on the steering wheel and let out a breath before lifting it up again. She saw the sign for the park and her previous thoughts about Ariel being a character in a Shakespeare play came back. Her lips curled slightly, guess it was time to call him after all. Kill two birds with one stone, right? She winced, though, as she reached into her purse and pulled out her phone. She liked Frank, she liked him a lot, but she felt like she was using him as a crutch to cope. She bit her lip as she pushed the dial button, maybe going out with Don a few times might not be such a bad idea, if just to give Frank a break. But right at this very moment, she needed to hear Frank's voice.

"Um, hello? Who is this?"

"Frank? Hi, it's Nancy."

"Nancy! Hi! Wow, you're, you're calling my cell! This is, this is . .. wow!"

Nancy chuckled. "Don't freak out on me, Hardy."

"What? Didn't Joe tell you? I don't freak out, I geek out!"

Nancy burst out laughing at that, the tears flowing freely now. "Thanks, I needed that."

"Oh, Deirdre again?"

Nancy nodded and sniffled as she wiped her eyes. "Yeah, except this time, I told her that the reason why she still has her mother was because her mother doesn't do anything."

Frank snorted. "Ooh, ouch. That was long overdue."

Nancy chuckled. "You think?"

Frank laughed. "The Scottish sass is strong today, I see. Finally got tired of Deirdre's taunts?"

Nancy let out a breath. "Well, that . . . that wasn't the only reason." She told him about her interrogation of Buddy Holmes and what he told her.

"He said what?" blurted Frank. "How in the world does he know your mom's name? Specifically her other name?"

"That's the thing, I don't know. He even knew her middle name, and there's only a few people who know that!"

"And there was no way they could find that out anywhere?"

Nancy nodded. "Positive, Mom and Dad always made sure that Catherine Keen Drew was the name used on every document, and that's the name on the, um, gravestone too."

"Hmm, could he be a fellow spy or something?"

Nancy huffed. "There's no way any of them would have known Mom's middle name, much less used it."

"You have a point there, but you never know. We don't know spy protocols."

Nancy sighed. "True that." She let out an exasperated huff.

"Hey, maybe your best bet would be finding out what's going on at the lake," said Frank. "Then you might find out exactly what's going on. Just be sure not to go alone. Who knows what those crooks could do to you."

Nancy nodded. "Got it!"

"Great . . . now was there another reason why you needed my assistance?"

Nancy glanced at the park sign. "Yes, there was one other thing. Was there a character named Ariel in any of Shakespeare novels?"

"Yeah, there was a sprite named Ariel in The Tempest. Why do you ask?"

"Because the park that's right next to Josiah's house is named Ariel Park, and we found a map to it."

"Oh, oh wow . . ."

"What?"

"Ariel means Lion of God."

Nancy's mouth dropped. "Say, say what?"

"Yeah! Ariel means Lion of God! Maybe Josiah meant the will is . . ."

"In the heart of the park!" Nancy blurted, glancing at the park in excitement. "Oh Frank, thank you so much for that information! Though, I have to wonder, how did you know that Ariel meant Lion of God?"

Frank chuckled nervously. "Well, when you have a male sprite and a female mermaid sharing the name, kinda made me curious to what it meant."

Nancy scoffed. "Really?"

"Hey, it's a pretty unique name! Practically those two are the most famous with that name, so, you know, I got curious and, well, looked it up. So what?"

"It's just not everyday Frank Hardy has exactly the information I need."

Frank chuckled. "Yeah, there is that." Something that sounded like a horn echoed on Frank line. Nancy's heart beat wildly, she had heard that particular horn sound somewhere, but it still worried her.

"Frank, what was that?"

"Oh, it's the train. Joe, Chet and I are at the train station. Dad had to come in on one due to his current case. And then he's going to head back out again, with Mom in tow."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, they have to pretend they're on their honeymoon or something for this to work out, though they just might turn it into their second honeymoon. It'll be all paid for, that's for sure."

Nancy chuckled. "Well, I'd better let you go meet your dad then."

"Yeah, thanks. Glad I could help, but I think you've got this now."

"Oh definitely, with your help. Thanks again."

"Glad to have been of service. Oh man, I definitely need to go."

"What's up?"

"Joe's waving at me, either Dad missed his train or there's something else . . . and now he got sidetracked by a pretty girl. Ugh, Joseph Fenton Hardy, what are we going to do with you? And you're going out with Iola!" There was a slight pause as Nancy's mouth dropped open. "Oh, sorry Nance."

"You know Joe's middle name," she whispered.

"Uh, well, yeah, with as often as our parents and Aunt Trudy use them whenever we get into trouble, kind of hard not to."

You know each other's middle names!"

"Uh, yeah, I just said that. Are you alright?"

"Oh how could I be so stupid!"

"Nance?"

"And Jane was . . ." Nancy's eyes widened. If Jane was in fact a part of this, she might have just made things even worse for Buddy. "Oh no, Frank I have to go."

"What's going on?"

"Buddy is undercover and I might have just blown his cover. Oh, me and my stupid . . ."

"Nancy, listen, if he blew his cover to protect you . . ."

"I won't be able to live with myself! I have to get to the lake!"

"If you absolutely have to, please have back-up. I don't care if it's Don, Richie, Emily, Helen, or all of them, just have backup, please."

"I will call them, I just have to call my Dad first and Chief McGinnis."

"Alright, I'll let you go. Please be careful."

"I will. Good luck to your parents on their honeymoon case."

"Thanks. Uh, bye."

"Bye." As soon as Nancy ended the call, she turned to dialing her father's number as she started up the car. "Come on Dad, please answer." But it went straight to voicemail. "Ugh! Dad, if you get this before Mrs. Farnham talks to you, please get out to Angus Lake near Lilac Inn. Buddy Holmes is undercover and I've put him in danger. I'm calling Chief McGinnis as soon as I finish talking to Mrs. Farnham. Love you, bye." She quickly hung up and began dialing her father's office. After a few minutes it went straight to the answering machine. "What?" She glanced at the clock in her car, it was nearing two o'clock, there was no way Mrs. Farnham was on her lunch. Did her father send her home early? "Dad, if you get this, please check your cell phone or at least call me back. This is urgent!" She hung up and quickly tried calling Richie Farnham. She was getting closer to Lilac Inn now.

"Hello?"

"Oh thank goodness, Richie!"

"Nance, what's wrong?"

"Is your mom at home?"

"You tried calling your dad's office, huh?"

"I tried his cell phone too. I need to get a hold of him. Can you run by his office?"

"Does this have to do with your mystery?" asked Richie. Nancy could hear him moving around, apparently hurrying to get ready to go.

"Oh big time. I left a message on my Dad's cell explaining it. Well, at least the major parts of it."

"Yeah, it's Nancy."

"Huh?"

"Oh, sorry, the guys are here. Don's asking if there's anything else you need."

Nancy squeezed her eyes tight for a second. She could do this. "Yes, I need you all to meet me at Angus Lake near Lilac Inn. If I'm not there, well, I've most likely been kidnapped and the crooks are trying to get away."

"Say what?"

"Listen, I'll have Emily, Helen, and Jenny with me. You guys just get there as fast as possible. We'll try to stay hidden as long as needed."

"ALright, but you be careful now, you hear?"

Nancy smiled. "I hear you. I'll talk to you later, I need to call Chief McGinnis."

"Right, see you soon." As soon as they hung up, Nancy called the police station.

"Lieutenant Brice speaking, how can I help you?"

"Lieutenant, I need to talk to Chief McGinnis right away. This is nancy Drew."

"Well hello Miss Drew. I'll get the Chief for you right away."

"Thank you." Nancy, who was almost at the Inn now, was watching it closely. She gasped when she saw first Jean and then Jane exit the inn by the kitchen door and make their way towards the surrounding woods. Nancy slowed down so as not to draw their attention to her.

"Hi Nancy, what's up?"

"Chief, I'm getting close to Lilac Inn, and I just saw Jane Willoughby and Jean Holmes exit the inn and go into the woods. I think they're going to the lake."

"Um, OK."

"I spoke to Buddy Holmes earlier. He told me not to go to the lake and then said that he had said too much."

"Holy . . . if you're going to follow them, stay at a safe distance and keep an eye on your surroundings. Be sure to have back-up. We'll be there in a few minutes."

"Thanks Chief," was she got to say before the Chief hung up. She was almost in the parking lot now as she quickly dialed Helen's number.

"Nancy! Where are you? Are you alright? I've been trying to call you, but your phone was busy!"

"Helen, I just saw Jane and Jean exit the inn and go into the woods. I need the three of you out here now."

"But Judy!"

"Then two of you! Just get out here!" Nancy hung up. If they weren't outside in three minutes she would have to follow Jean and Jane alone. There wasn't much time left. She saw the truck when she pulled in and Gil waved to her as he brought in one of the boxes from the back of the truck. Nancy gave him a quick smile and a quick wave. So he at least wasn't in on it. Was it just Jean, Jane, and Mary with Buddy undercover, or were there more? If so, how many more? Helen and Jenny came rushing out of the inn.

"Nancy!" Helen wrapped Nancy in a bear hug.

"What in the world is going on?" asked Jenny.

"Follow me, we don't have much time. I can explain on the way. Just, be as quiet as you can be." The two girls nodded and followed her into the woods. Talking and walking quickly, Nancy explained everything that had happened since she left them.

"Wait, couldn't he have seen her grave, or something?" asked Jenny after Nancy finished Buddy's story.

"No, because the name on her grave is Catherine Keen Drew. Mom only used Grandma Penny's maiden name when she was on a mission. It was easier and safer that way."

"Then, how would he know it?"

"I have a hunch as to how, but I fear I've already put his mission in enough jeopardy as it is."

Helen gasped. "Oh, oh! I do hope nothing has happened to him!"

"Well, I don't think Jane heard much of what Buddy told me, much less what it actually meant." Nancy pursed her lips. "I do hope nothing has happened, but we're going to have to come up with a diversion of some kind to stall them until the police get here."

"For how long?" asked Helen.

"Well, getting from the station to Lilac Inn will take about twenty minutes, so . . ."

"About a half hour," whispered Helen with a soft sigh.

"That might be a problem," muttered Jenny.

"Why?"

Jenny pointed. "Look." There, docked on the bank of the lake, was a boat that was large enough to be a house. It even had part of a house on the deck. The lake in question wasn't exactly a lake, it was still part of the Angus River, just the largest part, so large the locals called it a lake, and it stuck. The girls immediately ducked behind some bushes. They peeked over the foliage before ducking back down. Nancy took a quick survey of their surroundings before looking back at the boat.

"Do you think they saw us?" asked Helen.

"If there's anyone even there. I didn't see anyone. Did you?"

Helen and Jenny answered in the negative. "Then where are they if they're not here?" asked Helen.

"You sure Jane and Jean even came this way?" asked Jenny.

"This is the way to the lake," said Nancy. "Buddy said to stay away, so here is where I figured the criminal activity would be taking place." Nancy peeked over the foliage again. "I'm going to take a closer look."

"What?"

"Sh!' said Jenny and Nancy at the same time.

"I'm just going to see if anyone is there. I'll come right back if I see they're in there and we'll come up with a plan to stall them. But if there's no one in there, I'll wave you over and we'll take a quick look around to see if this is even their hide-out," explained Nancy.

Helen huffed. "Fine, be quick and be careful."

"I will." Nancy tiptoed towards the river boat, keeping as low as she could to prevent detection. She was able to climb on board silently and tiptoed up to the little house. The door was slightly ajar and she peeked in. Her mouth dropped. Not only was Jane and Jean in the house, but so was Isabella Topham! Not only that but Jean's hair was coming off! It was nothing more than a wig! Nancy began to back away, but a strong pair of hands pushed her into the room. The three women stood up and sneered at her.

Jean, or whatever her real name was, bent down and smiled cruelly at Nancy. "Well well, it's about time. We've been expecting you, Nancy Drew." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Little ms FBI By Caillou🙈

Mystery / Thriller

28.6K 572 19
When 4 year old's, Angie, family is murdered brutally in front of her, she meets the FBI. Becoming close to SSA Jareau and SSA Greenaway. The team ha...
74K 2.3K 43
Stef Foster and her twelve year old daughter, Callie, must deal with a painful loss in their life. Can they put the pieces back together with the hel...
MARJORIE By morningsingreece

Mystery / Thriller

128 5 13
Marjorie Carter has a dark past. Her parents, Thomas and Ellie, suddenly disappeared when she was 10, leaving her and her sisters alone. Now at 22, t...
64K 3.7K 88
Laurel is lonely. Things haven't been easy since she was forced to swiftly change jobs and move to a whole new city and start her life over. She is s...