We Are Just

By EiffelInLove

Two friends try to figure out what they really just are. (Park Chanyeol x Jung Eunji ff) More

00
01
02
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
000
Epilogue

03

145 15 7
By EiffelInLove

THE midterm exams were just around the corner and it seriously was taking its toll on Eunji. She had started studying for longer hours and as much as possible tried avoiding distractions like Chanyeol. who had persistently pestered her from time to time.

"Ji-ah! Ji-ah! Ji-ah!" Chanyeol squealed as he made his way to the waste segregation area where Eunji was doing some volunteer work.

He hastily grabbed the plastic garbage to help her do her task. "Wait. We're done with the service, right? Why are you still doing this?"

"It has become a habit." She explained. It was true that weeks had passed already since they finished serving their time to the waste segregation area but Eunji seemed to have developed a fascination towards separating waste materials so she would often volunteer to do the task. Apparently, the waste segregation area was one of the few places inside the campus that was quiet. She could contemplate better in this place.

"What do you need?" She asked finally, realizing that Chanyeol was actually there with her. The truth was she was very busy studying to actually pay attention to any of his shenanigans these days.

"We'll be playing at the club today. Wanna come?" Chanyeol invited. He dropped the plastic he finished segregating to the bin and fished the tickets from his pockets.

"I've got you two." He said showing her a V sign with his fingers. "The club has been stricter, they won't let you in without these..."

Eunji eyed him suspiciously. It's not everyday that Chanyeol would offer her free tickets to his gigs. "For free?"

"Whoaa." He rolled his eyes. "What do you take me for?"

"A stingy guitarist who doesn't give free tickets to his bestfriend." She said imperturbably before reaching the tickets. "Thanks though."

He placed a hand over his chest, "Ouch. That hurt my ego."

Eunji's narrowed her eyes at him, "Why would it hurt that? Your ego is inflated. My brutally honest words would just be bouncing at it."

"HAHAHAHAHA!" Chanyeol laughed. "You're so funny, Ji-ah!!!" He hastily placed his arm around Eunji's head and tucker her under. "My Ji-ah is so cute."

"PARK CHANYEOL!!!!" She screamed.

But Chanyeol did not stop ruffling her hair like she was a puppy. So ended up elbowing him by his ribcage which made him detach himself from her, still laughing uncontrollably. They started walking back to their rooms soon after.

"The tickets are numbered so you need to be on the table where they will usher you to." He mumbled as they quietly trod. "I saved you the best seat so I hope you would come. You haven't seen me played in a long while." He said smiling proudly, a hand at the back of his neck.

Eunji was always cold, but she was never dumb. She felt there was something odd at this whole inviting thing. "Is it really me that you wanted to see tonight?" She inquired, an eyebrow raising at Chanyeol.

"Woah." He scoffed. "W-Who else would it be then?" He sounded so defensive eyes looking straight ahead.

"Who else?" Eunji repeated. "Joohyun?" She asked randomly.

It was frustrating for Eunji to see how awkward Chanyeol was acting around Joohyun lately.He was like a completely different person around her. He was not loud and crazy like how he used to be. He always acted proper and well-behaved around Joohyun. He wasn't smiling with all his teeth out when he's with her. He was always smiling like there was a camera around him, flashing the dimples in his cheeks.

It was awful. For Eunji at least. It actually made her cringe. If he liked Joohyun like how Sohye insisted from the very first day in the cafeteria, why would he have to change himself?

The incident in the PE class the other day added fire to the flame. They were playing dodgeball and Joohyun was almost hit by the ball. But there went Chanyeol throwing himself to her to save her. It was like a dramatic scene in a manhwa where the lead guy saved the girl from grave danger. Because of their good looking faces, people started rumors about the possibility of these two beautiful people being a campus couple.

"Y-YAH! Why would you say that?" Chanyeol asked nervously. "Why would I want to see Joohyun there?" He turned his back on her.

She could see his ears turning red. "Are you having a crush now, Yeolie?" She probed while laughing.

"Stop it." He said covering his ears.

"AWWWW. Our Yeolie is a grown man now. He already has a crush." She teased.

"LALALALALALA!" Chanyeol sang so as not to hear her teasing. He acted like a child who was too embarrased to do anything.

Eunji grinned. But oddly, her smile did not reach her eyes.

---

When she reached her classroom, Joohyun was seated in their desk already. The tickets were on her pockets. She contemplated whether to invite her or not. But she recalled how Chanyeol looked so happy at the mention of her name.

"Hey, Joohyun-ah."

The girl looked up from her book, "Oh, Eunji. Why?"

She dug her vest's pocket to get the tickets which Chanyeol handed earlier. "Chanyeol's band will be performing at the club tonight. He gave me two tickets but Sohye can't come.' She lied at that part because she did not offer Sohye the tickets first. "Would you like to come?" She asked as she placed them on the table.

"C-Chanyeol?" She muttered his name like it tasted honey on her lips. A smile was tampered on her pretty face. Her fingers traced delicately on the ticket. "Will you come too?"

"Of course." Eunji answered, nodding at her. Otherwise, Chanyeol won't be able to perform since I would be coming home early. She thought to herself.

"Then I'll come with you." She said sweetly.

---

After their classes, Chanyeol and Eunji went home to change clothes. Eunji bid their parents goodbye saying they would now head to the after school academy; they would be extending their time as the exam was approaching.

On the way to the club, inside the bus, Chanyeol was his usual blabber self.

"Aaahh. I'm so nervous." Chanyeol complained straightening the sleeves of his shirt.

"Why would you be nervous? It's just me." Eunji said rolling her eyes.

"What did you say?" Chanyeol inquired, his physique suddenly relaxed.

"I said... Don't be nervous, Chanyeolie. It's just me." She repeated confidently and turned to face Chanyeol. Too bad, it was late when she realized she was leaning very close to him. An inch or two was the space that separated them, Eunji batted her eyelashes at him to distract herself from staring at his chapped lips.

Chanyeol chuckled at her failed attempt at an aegyo. "AHHHHH!" He exclaimed as he pinched both of her cheeks. "You're so ugly!!!"

"AWWWW! THAT HURTS!" She cried slapping his hands. Chanyeol immediately removed his hands and Eunji slapped his back one more time before touching her cheeks. "You idiot." She scowled.

Chanyeol laughed and made fun of her tomato cheeks. His aura was not as tensed anymore. He kept being loud on the way to the club and Eunji wondered if Joohyun would ever had the chance to see this rowdy side of him.

---

When they reached the club, it had not opened yet. But Chanyeol had to go to the back stage to prepare for the performance. Eunji waited outside for it to open.

17:45 pm | 1 Message from Yeolmae

Yeolmae: They will open the doors by 6.

YeppoJi: Yeah, I'm not going anywhere.

Yeolmae: Are you still alone?

Yeolmae: Oops. Sorry.

Yeolmae: How rude of me to ask. You're forever alone.

YeppoJi: Shut the fuck up, Yeolmae.

Yeolmae: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Eunji turned off her phone. Replying to him once more would just result to endless picking on from him.

"Stupid Yeolmae," She cursed under her breath. Yeolmae, she recalled how she came to call him with such name. When Chanyeol started calling her Ji; she came back by calling him Yeolmae. He liked berries a lot as a child.

She wondered if they would remain the same as they grew older. They would be in college in a few months. She wanted to study Chemistry, Chanyeol mentioned about taking Music as his major. Maybe, she had to start talking to him about his plans for college. Which Universities he would like to apply for... Maybe she could apply in those as well.

Her train of thoughts stopped when she heard her name, "Eunji!"

She looked to her right and saw Baek Joohyun looking effortlessly pretty in a dress. Nobody in her right mind would wear a dress in this cold weather, Eunji thought. Maybe she wore one to impress Chanyeol? Does she like him that much?

Eunji slapped herself mentally and imagined ways to kill Sohye for polluting her mind with these thoughts. The latter kept insisting that Joohyun liked her best friend.

In all honesty, Eunji did not care about Joohyun falling head over heels to Chanyeol. She was used to girls having crush to him. There was one time she supported their cause for her benefit. She sold his photos on her phone to the younger grades. She earned few dollars from that. It only stopped when Sejoo stopped from using her phone to take his selfies because she refused to give him a share of her earnings.

She was not exactly the bright and friendly soul. Only few could tolerate her indifferent nature. Girls used to befriend her to get close to him. It was rude but she wondered if Joohyun would just be the same... If Sohye was right about her liking Chanyeol.

"Hi Joohyun." She waved back and smile. "You're quite early." She said as the new comer stood beside her.

She nodded, "But you're early too." She smiled warmly again. Her smile drew people towards her. And it was not her fault if she owned a good set of teeth and a nice smile.

"Oh, I came with Chanyeol." Eunji said casually. "We always go together, you know, for safety reasons." She laughed. His parent would kill him if they would knew about this whole thing. The same had to go for Eunji.

"You two are really close huh?" Joohyun asked. Eunji immediately noticed how her bright aura dropped.

She hesitated to answer but did anyway. "Well, we've been together since middle school. So I guess that makes us... Pretty close." She explained, putting both hands in her coat's pocket. The air had suddenly become chilly. Then randomly, Joohyun turned to face Eunji.

"But what are you two exactly?" Her words added chill to Eunji's bones.

She frowned a little, showing her confusion. "What are we?"

"Are you going out?" She inquired dead seriously. Eunji could not recognize the bright Joohyun in front of many.

"No." She answered without hesitation.

Joohyun stared at her, "Do you like Chanyeol, Eunji-ah?"

"HELL NO." She snapped. The atmosphere was so awkward Eunji laughed nervously, "Hey. Why are you even asking those questions?"

Joohyun was not able to answer as the doors started to open.

"Come on, Eunji!" She said sweetly like the awkward interrogation did not happen at all. She even came close to Eunji to link her arm with hers. "Let's go."

"Oh, right." She answered absent-mindedly as Joohyun dragged her inside.

---

It was 7 in the evening when the band started playing. It was Friday so the huge number of viewers was understandable.

Chanyeol had kept his promise that their table would be in a good location. When the band came out, everyone cheered. Eunji regretted being seated in the middle of the noisy crowd. Joohyun seemed to not mind the noise, her eyes were focused on the stage.

The band had played several songs already and the chaos inside the club was just too much for Eunji. The kids tonight were extra hyperactive. She endured Chanyeol all her life and so she believed she could endure all of these tonight.

"Hey, Eunji. You okay?" Joohyun asked checking her from time to time.

She nodded, "Yeah. I'm fine. Don't mind me."

Joohyun smiled at her and went on admiring the band from below the stage. She was bored beyond measure. The bowl of fries in front of them was now empty and all that's left was the beer bucket served to them. Joohyun did not drink and so did Eunji. But her boredom got the better of her and by the next minute, she was drinking one bottle.

"This will be our last song." Chanyeol announced and the crowd expressed their disappointment through a collective aww that echoed inside the club. "Thank you so much for coming tonight." He started playing with his guitar a melancholy tune. Eunji remembered this so well. He also used this song to end his performance in the festival few weeks ago.

It was the same song Sohye kept on insisting that was about her. The song was composed by Chanyeol himself. It was titled Spring and about how he always longed for Spring to come because it was their season. Him and his imaginary girlfriend, Eunji concluded. She thought Chanyeol was delusional for writing such a corny song. He wrote it on the Summer before 11th Grade.

But tonight, as he played it again for the countless time, there was a mysterious glow around him. He was smiling from ear to ear like he had found the Spring he was waiting for. Eunji stared at him as he played his instrument. Suddenly, the weird feeling started to build up on her chest again. As the song came to end, Chanyeol looked up from his guitar strings and looked to the audience with a big smile that was too infectious Eunji found herself smiling.

But eventually she realized, that he wasn't just looking at the audience in general. It was her. She slowly turned her head to Joohyun who was also smiling sweetly from her seat, eyes fixed on Chanyeol standing on the stage sharing the gaze with her.

The feeling in her chest intensified. However, it was not like the heart fluttering feeling she had before. The feeling was sad this time, and a bit of painful. Eunji looked away and reached for her second bottle of beer.

Somehow, the idea of Chanyeol finding Spring at the end of Autumn did not seem appealing to her. The bitter taste of alcohol down her throat would have to agree.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 248 8
"I'm pulled by the scent of your lips, endorphins in my body explode. I don't care what it is, you and I, we're beautiful." Where 7 friends fell in l...
Puzzle By Anika

Fanfiction

857 91 5
In which Jongdae and Minseok build a puzzle with ten thousand pieces together and maybe end up finding their missing piece.
2.1K 185 10
Eunji had a pen pal whom she never known personally. Her pen pal knew a lot of things and secrets about Eunji which she never shared with anyone else...
468 11 3
When you meet your best friend after 2 years from being away, not talking to each other. It was your sister wedding. she married him, Junmyeon which...