In All Her Glory

By jedidiah17

After one full year of abuse from her stepdad, Sharon decides she's had enough. On a tragic day, she runs awa... More

•PREFACE•
•01. In Constraint•
•02. In Flight Mode•
•03. In-dependence•
•04. In Prescott•
•05. In-composure•
•06. In the Pridelands•
•07. In Distress•
•08. In Awe•
•09: In Tension•
•10: In His Presence•
•12: In Equilibrium•
•13: In-Sane•
•14: In Love•
•15: In Perfection•
•16: In Enchantment•

•11: In Tune•

861 138 17
By jedidiah17

This chapter is dedicated to AishaOAdamu for the lovely cover at the top.

Before you read, I want to take a minute to say that I really appreciate you. I wouldn't really be doing this if you weren't there to read it. Knowing that there are people interested in my work so much that they would wait to read a new chapter, especially when I wasn't so competent with releasing new ones, is really humbling and special to my heart. I sincerely, truly love you. Thank you for being part of my world.

•••
|Chapter Eleven|

Sharon's POV

With the sweetest smile I could muster, I cast a smile in Mrs Olaniyan's direction.

"Thank you so much, Mummy," I spoke sincerely.

The love in her eyes floored me as she smiled back and reached out to rub my arm. For the past one week, I had taken to calling her Mummy. From the way she always smiled, I knew she loved it. In truth, Dami's mum was like my own mum. She truly cared, and whenever there was something wrong that she noticed, she always ensured her availability for me. If only my birth mother...

Ah, ah, I berated myself. Forget, remember? Old things are passed away.

After church, I had waited to see the pastor. When I asked him to, he prayed with me, asking God to receive me once again as His daughter, and that my life be rededicated back to Him. He led me to talk to God, and I confessed to God that I had returned to sin and that I needed Him to fill me and make me whole again. He spoke to me about letting go of the past and embracing God's gift of a new dawn, because my life had become just that.

A new dawn. A new horizon.

I smiled even wider as I turned back to my meal.

Feeling eyes on me, I didn't look up. I knew he was smiling, too. He had been smiling since he squished me in his arms in church earlier in the afternoon.

The chatter of the family around me filled me with a feeling of happiness and nostalgia all at once. I couldn't deny that I missed my family. I silently prayed to God that I'd be able to forget Dad's death and the disunity that ensued after.

I gulped down some orange juice.

"Sharon," Dami called me. She was sitting opposite me.

I watched her expectantly as she chewed and swallowed.

"I'll be going to Queen's place later in the evening. You want to come?"

"Not interested," I muttered, trying to stop myself from frowning.

I had thought she noticed my silent rumination, but, of course, Dami was thinking of same old Queen.

Don't be jealous.

"Whatever," I whispered, quickly piling some rice and vegetable stew in my mouth when Dami stared at me.

"You didn't answer me, na."

She didn't hear? "I have stuff to do. Can't go with you, sorry."

"Ah," For some reason, she sounded unhappy. "SOJ is going to be there. He wanted to see you."

Now, the frown came. I didn't stop it.

"Since when did you become a fan of that guy?"

Dami shrugged, her eyes flicking to where her parents were talking to each other with smiles that looked like something secret.

"Don't talk like that. He just asked after you and I thought you'd want to come and, maybe, hang out with him."

"And us, too," she added.

I could only stare at her. To think I thought Dami knew me.

"Too bad," I started to talk, then my gaze was drawn to Sam's. He shook his head disapprovingly. I could see beyond his careful face. Sam was irritated. His brows were drawn together and his eyes were not so calm.

"Too bad, what?" Dami spoke up.

"Nothing." I ended the silly conversation and faced my half empty plate of food.

•••

The knock on the front door as I pushed my Chemistry book into my backpack startled me. It was nine that same night. Dami had been gone since four and was going to sleep over at Queen's. I wondered who would knock at this time.

"Hi," Sam breathed and pushed his way in, shutting the door behind him as I stared motionlessly. Well, my eyelids were the exception.

He chuckled under his breath, the dimple winking at me from beneath his cheekbone.

"Sorry, I know this is not proper..." he trailed off, his eyes going behind me.

I could feel the muscles in my body stiffen. "What is it?" My voice was small.

"Uh-oh. Shar, I'm so sorry!" Now, Sam's eyes looked frantic.

What? Now, I just wanted to laugh. Never had I ever seen a guy who switched moods so quickly.

"What?"

"I gotta go," he rasped and turned around.

Understanding dawned on me as he touched the doorknob.

"Wait a minute, Samuel Adeniyi!"

My tone probably compelled him to obey.

"Don't tell me you're leaving because you think it's not proper," I said, arms akimbo. My eyes were twinkling.

"But it's the right thing..."

"Oh, keep quiet, and tell me why you so desperately needed to see my face this night."

Surprisingly, he didn't argue as I grabbed his hand and pulled him in behind me. He landed on the sofa and stared.

"Well?" I was struggling to keep in the laughter. Since returning to Christ, the serenity in me was a constant presence. How easily I could laugh was amazing.

A slow smile spread Sam's full lips. A look of near compassion lit up his eyes as he watched me. I realized then that we'd been staring at each other. Me smiling, Sam shocked.

"I can see Him in you, Shar." His voice broke and I knew that it wasn't compassion I was seeing. It was joy. A quiet joy.

I sat beside him without thought, my throat feeling clogged. When I spoke, it was with a husky voice. "I feel Him. It's so different."

Sam laughed softly, his eyes sliding shut in reverence. "Thank You," he whispered. "You answered so quickly, Jesus."

I was smiling when he turned intense, beautiful eyes to me. "You prayed for me?"

"It was the only way I knew to help. Truly help you, Shar."

With my eyes locked on his, I communicated my thanks. He stood, I with him. No words were said as we walked to the front door. The sweetest sensation burst in me when he slid his arms around me. I embraced him without the slightest hesitation. I closed my eyes, meditating and memorizing the feel of my best friend's strong arms.

God must really love me. The guy I was holding was proof of that.

•••

The bell rang, signalling the end of lessons for the day. I was the first one out the classroom, and so I could witness the sight of the junior students spilling out onto the hallways leading out of the building.

"What's making you smile?"

I barely resisted the jumpy feeling that came over me when I heard the voice of someone questioning me.

I turned, my tiny smile gone.

"Soji." It was a statement that held meaning.

His dark lips parted to expose straight, off-white teeth. My cringe was internal. I stepped back from him.

He stepped closer.

"You know, I hate that name, but for some sweet reason, I love it on your cute..."

"Hey! Was looking all over for you."

Never had I been so relieved to hear Sam's voice.

"Hi," I greeted. "Let's hurry."

SOJ's frown was like a quick lightning bolt before the coming thunder. His mud-coloured eyes stared into Sam's hazel ones.

"You."

Sam nodded at him. "See you tomorrow, bro."

And, off we went, laughing all the way to the large music room Prescott High boasted of. I felt SOJ's eyes on me till we turned the corner leading to our destination.

"What's his deal?" I muttered.

He finds you attractive.

"Well, it's irritating!" I blurted.

Sam laughed. "I know, right? That's what I thought, too!"

I froze for a split second and smiled up at him. God alone knew what he was talking about in that moment.

We stepped into the music room and it was a sight to behold.

Four senior girls in flared skirts were standing near the middle of the space, singing in a melodious harmony that blew me away. A guy playing a guitar and another playing the keyboard were all smiles, enjoying what they were doing.

Near the back, I could see Kimberly Nana, one of the judges at my audition who was also my classmate. She and her twin had earphones on, and from the sounds they were making and the way they were thrilling their lips, they were doing vocal exercises ahead of the rehearsal. Something from Cheryl Potter.

"Wow," I whispered when I heard how excellent and amazingly well the sound they produced was.

It was when Sam's hand connected with my elbow that I gained cognizance. We were still at the doorway. Or rather, Sam had gone to sit and came back to pull me along.

The strange feeling of embarrassment made me hot, Sam's amused gaze adding to the fire.

I went with him silently. We took seats at the right side of the room, opposite the left side of the room where the Nana twins were still warming up. The chairs were arranged in a way that left a large circular centre. The drums, keyboards, and other instruments were behind the chairs at the middle. The brights colours on the walls and the musical note paintings made it more lovely.

"I didn't ask you," I turned to Sam. "What song did you sing for your audition?"

His thick brows were elevated. "Well."

"Well?" I prompted.

His eyes were sparkling with mirth.

"Wanna guess?"

Liking a challenge, I grinned. "Let's see." Then I started to sing, "The wheels in the bus go round and round..."

My friend's laughter started from his eyes to his lips. "What?"

For a little moment, I stared, not speaking. His hazel eyes were only showing through narrow slits, his eyes almost crinkling in laughter. That combined with the dimple peeking at me, and the growing curls atop his head gave the most gorgeous spectacle.

"What?" He asked again, this time more serious.

"You had..." My eyes searched his face and hair. My hand reached out and pulled lightly on a strand of his coarse dark hair. "This."

He looked at me like he didn't believe me. My movements had been fast.

"You've not answered my question, though."

"Something by Jonathan McReynolds."

"Oh."

Almost every chair was occupied as I turned away from his gaze. Mr Amaechi, the chief music staff, was at the centre space and he was smiling at students as they greeted him. His thumbs were up for everybody.

In minutes, he clapped his hands really loudly and firmly, and students sat down quietly. Never in my life had I heard a clap so authoritative.

"All right! Good afternoon, musicians of Prescott!" he bellowed.

"Good evening, boss!"

My eyes connected with Sam's for a jiffy.

"Right, it's evening," the tall, lean man spoke in what he must have thought was a mutter. Almost everyone chuckled at his expense. He only grinned rather boyishly.

I was a bit stunned, to be honest. Rarely had I ever met a teacher who wouldn't take that opportunity to show or prove some authority and scream at students for daring to laugh at them. This Mr Amaechi had to be amazing. And in the moments to come, I found that he truly was.

Cracking an occasional joke, he directed us to sit according to the polyphonic parts we each sang. I moved to sit with the alto singers. Sam stayed where he was because the tenor singers were to sit there. I watched everyone else. I only knew SS3 students, but most of the other musicians were junior students and seniors in SS1 and SS2. Majid, the cafeteria prefect, was also present. He sat with the soprano ladies, and I had to cover my mouth to hide my surprise.

"What month are we in?" Mr Amaechi asked rhetorically.

"October," a girl replied.

Mr Amaechi nodded absentmindedly. He beckoned on Kingsley who was standing with his twin near the music teacher. He spoke with them in a low voice.

"All right!" He clapped when the twins left the room to do whatever he had instructed. "For the sakes of those of us who are new, I'll explain about the upcoming Prescott High Christmas Carol in the early week of December.

"The term is going to end in December, and as a tradition, Prescott ensures that her students enjoy a spectacular event before the end of every term. Isn't that amazing?" He smiled alluringly. I had to agree, even though I didn't think events were that exciting. At least, not since childhood.

"So, to ensure that we present excellent music for our guests that day, we start rehearsing early. At least, a six weeks before. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Mr Amaechi!"

The lanky man smiled. One of his slender fingers brushed the little hair on his chin.

"Staylites? Let's teach them." He paused when Kimberly and Kingsley returned with a file folder. He nodded at them and they smiled identical smiles.

"Do you understand?" Mr Amaechi bellowed.

"Yes, boss!"

It was at that moment I realized that the term staylite was the opposite of a newbie. I let out a youthful giggle and sighed, relaxing in my chair. This was going to become the best part of being in Prescott High School.

Within thirty minutes, we were introduced to the first song we would be singing at the carol. Something quite solemn.

"All right, this song is going to be a duet. We will have the whole choir up there on the stage singing the chorus, but the verses will be taken by both lead singers."

His intense eyes looked all over the room at our young faces. Then he took in a deep breath.

"I need my lead singers. One dude, one lady. Volunteers? Anybody?"

In the recesses of my mind, I could see myself in the most lovely evening dress, singing a solemn song like this. Solemn songs made me remember my dad, and if he were here...

I put a cork over my thoughts.

I removed the cork.

Dad would want me to sing the duet. Dad wouldn't want me to hold back.

I knew that I would be honouring my dad and all he meant to me by volunteering.

"Who knows," I whispered for my ears alone. "I might not get chosen." And it was true. I'd come to love rap and RnB so much, it was mostly what I listened to.

"Oh, we have a lady!" Kimberly's happy voice alerted everyone. Everyone's eyes were on me. I smiled and rose when Mr Amaechi asked me to.

"Any other lady wanna try?"

Two others stood up. When Mr Amaechi turned to the tenor singers who were mostly guys, only one hand went up.

I looked up at the white ceiling while trying to hide my joy. If I get chosen, I think I'll enjoy it.

•••

A/N

Thank you for reading till the end of this chapter! Chapter 12 is coming in less than three days.

What do you expect in the next chapter?

Sayonara, lovelies.

Love,
Precious.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 61K 39
Millie Ripley has only ever known one player next door. Luke Dawson. But with only a couple months left before he graduates and a blackmailer on th...
96.3K 3K 30
[ONGOING 🔞] #8 insanity :- Wed, May 15, 2024. #2 yanderefanfic :- Sat, May 18, 2024. After y/n became an orphan, she had to do everything by herself...
205K 10K 56
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
460 62 10
❛❛𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒈𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒆𝒏𝒕; 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒔. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒔𝒄𝒂𝒓...