The Exile's Daughter

By SleepySindar

After surviving a terrible attack, Nesseldë finds herself alone in a world ensnared by an ever-growing darkne... More

A Flame in the Dark
New Beginnings
A Lucky Escape
Dark Tidings
Imladris
The Truth at Last
Small Comfort
The Long Fight Begins
The Growing Shadow
Final Preparations
To The North
Hope and Fear Come Hand in Hand
A Fair Stronghold
The Ceaseless Watch
In Memoriam
The Watchful Peace is Over
The Prancing Pony
The Battle of the Barrows
Dawning Realisations
A Welcome Respite
Strengthening Ties
Out in the Open
An Uneasy Parting
Worst Fears
Bubbling Over
The Risk
Adjusting
Hope and Old Woes
Growing Danger
The Consequence of Fear
Silver linings
No Way Out
The Search Begins
Breathless Wanderings
The Battle of the Northmen
The Fallout
Picking Through the Ashes
Frantic Efforts
Faint Hopes
The Bigger Picture
Unlooked For
The Beginning of the End
Before the Morning
To The Last
Beyond Hope
Healing
Everlasting
Beginning
Update -The Next Adventure

No Turning Aside

1.1K 36 4
By SleepySindar

I grew stronger as the months in Rivendell passed me by. My training had finally been built up to five full days a week, and even I had to admit that I was improving quicker with every session. Every bruise I gained was a lesson, every fall a manoeuvre I knew how to use with more skill and agility. Even my horseback fighting was improving, though I was nowhere near where I wanted to be.

Aragorn had also taught me a little about his life as a ranger. He'd shown me how to read a story from the ground, looking at the size and shape of tracks, from men, animals and wheels alike, as well as teaching me how to build a proper fire without causing smoke and how to conceal myself completely from unfriendly eyes. He even offered to teach me how to gather food fit for eating, but I did not need that instruction any more than he. My parents had taught me such things all my life.

It could not be denied that my knowledge was growing every day, and I was also physically stronger than I had ever been. There were faint tones of muscle on my stomach, arms and legs, and I could now more evenly match Aragorn and Legolas' strength in a spar, though they would always be far larger and endlessly encouraged me to use my small height to my advantage.

It was a sunny, apparently unremarkable, morning. I woke to the sound of crunching and saw Aragorn sitting cross-legged next to me, wolfing down an apple. Legolas threw one to me from where he sat as I rose groggily from the grass. We had eventually persuaded Lord Elrond to let us leave Rivendell for a few days so I could gain some practical experience living in the wild. It was the final day, and we would turn towards home for a much-deserved rest after a long and busy trip. I was already longing for the warm bed and food awaiting me, and I could see that the others were thinking the same.

"Well, I think you've done brilliantly." Aragorn smiled as I finished my apple, throwing the core into a gnarled old oak tree for the wildlife to enjoy.

"I suppose I've been useful" I mused. "It was good to track those strange footsteps for the Dúnedain." I frowned slightly, and Legolas seemed to know what I was thinking, as he nearly always did.

"You still think there's something suspicious about them".

The tracks we'd found had been numerous and churned up in the damp mud of the lightening world on that early March weekend, and even Aragorn had not been able to say for sure what they were. To me, they had looked like Warg prints, but there were also faint outlines of boots in the mess, far too big for orcs but not nearly big enough for trolls. It had been playing on my mind ever since we'd found one of Aragorn's people bending over them in equal confusion.

"I am suspicious." I said eventually to Legolas, watching the footsteps stretch out around us in my mind's eye. "I fear something worse is to come from those creatures, whatever they were".

"I'm sure it was nothing" Aragorn assured for the tenth time. "More than likely it was a company of men out hunting".

"Men never hunt in these perilous places" Legolas said, repeating his own point yet again. "They have not hunted here for years out of fear of what may come in the night". He, like me, could feel the sense of foreboding and danger brought by the mysterious tracks. Aragorn, however, could feel no such fear, being as he was impeded by his mortality. Elves could sense these things as men could not. I wished he would listen to us.

"Aragorn, you're not treating this with the -"

"Strider!" A shout interrupted me before I could finish my sentence, and I saw the same ranger who we had found inspecting the strange tracks running towards us as if the very legions of Morgoth were on his tail. He looked a little like Aragorn, as he was kin to his chieftain, but his nose was longer, and his eyes brighter. He ground to an unsteady halt in front of us, red faced and looking grim. Halbarad was his name; Aragorn's most trusted lieutenant. He was a quiet man, who said nothing not worth saying and acted with almost hilarious courtesy towards me. I had been a little nervous meeting another mortal man, since some of their kind had harmed me so, and he must have taken that rather to heart and treated me with as much respect as he could muster. It was rather sweet, I supposed, but I would still have preferred to be treated like an equal, as he treated Legolas. The three of us rose to our feet.

"I found out... tracks" he panted. I reached down and tugged a full flask of water from my pack, handing it to Halbarad. He took a deep draught, and it seemed to calm his breathing and ease the redness in his grey-bearded face. "Thank you, my lady". He bowed, calmer, and turned back to Aragorn. "They are orcs and wargs, as the lady first thought."

"Surely the boots are far too big, not to mention how well-made the soles looked". I commented, concerned. Halbarad lowered his voice to almost a whisper and we leaned into him.

"At first, I thought the same. However, what I have just witnessed says otherwise. They're huge, Aragorn, the largest I have ever seen. Their boots, as your friend says, are well made, as are their clothes and, most alarmingly, their weapons."

"A new breed?" Legolas questioned.

"Perhaps" sighed the ranger. "Or maybe even a new race. Some look more like goblins than orcs. Some even look a little like men, though mutilated and inhuman. They are above man height, some of them. I daresay many could rip a man in half with a single stroke. Sorry", the ranger added quickly, casting half a glance towards me. I barely restrained from rolling my eyes.

"You do not need to shield me from your words. I know better than many what evil can do".

"Oh. Sorry", he muttered again, abashed.

"How many were there?" Aragorn questioned urgently, bringing Halbarad back to the matter in hand. "Where were they going?"

"Thousands" said a new voice. The four of us turned, startled, and saw the sons of Elrond standing behind us, their faces as grim as the mortal man they'd followed. "I think this may be the answer to our question of who has been killing the Dúnedain and their allies. We suspect they are dividing into legions and spreading throughout the west. Some are going towards your homelands."

"My sister is up there, my niece and nephews" Halbarad almost growled.

"We will not leave our people undefended." Aragorn muttered. 

"This proves the danger that has been growing in my mind. The Enemy's power grows almost by the day." I said to Aragorn. "Your people must defy him, or risk the utter ruin of the west lands."

"Indeed, but there are few of us left now." Aragorn bit his lip. I squeezed his shoulder. 

"One Dúnadan is worth ten lesser men. You will hold out, dear friend." 

Aragorn squared his shoulders and nodded determinedly at my words of comfort. "My father will want you home, Nesseldë", Elladan said quietly, inturrupting my growing sense of purpose.  I didn't answer him, looking for a moment upon the ranger I had come to see almost as family, and the kin he wished to protect. Aragorn's forehead creased almost imperceptibly. I wondered whether he knew what I was considering, but the small change of expression passed within a second, and he turned to speak a few rushed instructions to Halbarad

"Even if you're thinking of leaving Rivendell, there are things I know you will want to take", Elladan continued, reading into my silence after a moment.

"You could get hurt" Legolas said, seemingly unable to stop the worry on his face.

"I know" I muttered, but at that moment, Aragorn turned back to us.

"I have to go back now with all speed and collect my things" he told Legolas. "I cannot sit idly in peace while my people are in peril". Legolas nodded, his jaw tightening, and addressed the man gravely.

"I will go with you."

Aragorn spared me a glance at Legolas' declaration. "You are under no obligation. If there are other people who need you, I can manage alone."

"How did that go last time you tried it? Don't you remember me finding you in a ditch?"

"A ditch?" I questioned before I could stop myself. Aragorn's grey eyes met mine for a few seconds.

"I was out of my depth, took on too many enemies and got hurt. It happens even to the most experienced of warriors".

Elladan and Elrohir had horses with them and began to hand over their reigns so we could reach Rivendell quickly, but everybody looked around, distracted from their tasks, as I spoke up.

"That's a risk I'll have to take, then".

"What?" Aragorn asked incredulously, completely distracted.

"I will have to risk being out of my depth. I'm coming with you" I drew myself up and held my ground, keeping my resolve even as the others looked sceptically on. I must have looked a fool, so small and slender compared to them, but I moved not an inch, staring determinedly around each of them, even holding Halbarad's steady gaze for a few seconds.

"I know we won't be able to complete your training, but you're getting so good now" Aragorn said eventually, stepping forward and setting his hands on my shoulders. "Elrond and Glorfindel will help you."

"You know very well I am not talking about training" I insisted. "You know what my doom is as well as I. Perhaps you even share in it a little, given what you yourself are destined to become. Our paths converge, Aragorn, I am sure of it. You may not yet be able to take up your appointed place in this world, but it is time that I did. I am to aid men in what way I can. This is what I am supposed to do!"

"I cannot guarantee your safety" Aragorn said. His grey eyes, usually calm and stern, were full of trepidation. He fiddled restlessly with a frayed thread hanging from his worn brown coat. "We would miss you, you know that, but both of us would rather you be safe and well. If you come with us, you may never return."

"Don't you think I know that?" I asked, my voice rising a little, then lowering to a hiss. "You saw what they did when you first found me. I know very well what the consequences of this venture may be. Probably far more than you realise." My would-be rapist flashed in front of my eyes. I knew that was what it was called now, what one of those accursed men had wanted to do. I had cried for an hour when I came across the term while reading, but I could not bear to tell a worried Legolas why I was so upset, preferring instead to sit in silence while he comforted me confusedly.

Rancid breath and cruel laughter.

The memory was as real as if I was back in those few desperate moments. The choice had been simple - a second to run, or hours of torment. I had never said more than a few words about that terrible night, not even to Legolas who I trusted above all others in Middle Earth. He did not know what had almost been done, and I doubted I would ever speak of it. Even thinking about it sent a surge of panic into my heart, but I forced the criminal out of my mind, focusing on the others.

"Let her come" I whipped around, surprised by Legolas' unexpected support. Aragorn wore a similar expression, and Legolas continued. "She's been saying ever since we found those footprints that something fell would come of them, and now she is proved right. She was also right in saying that they were made by orcs, and you know as well as I that she's about as prepared for battle as she will ever be without real experience of it. You and I cannot teach her of the fear of fighting an opponent that really will kill her if she makes a mistake. You need someone with her instincts. We cannot shield her forever, Aragorn."

Aragorn seemed to waver for a second, then sighed. "He is right, Nesseldë. I cannot pretend that you are not needed. You may come with us, but please, I know it is not always possible to do so, but for the love of the Valar, just be careful."

I walked up to my dearest friends and fluttered my fingers faintly against first Aragorn's cheek, then Legolas's. "I will". I said simply "I can hardly be of any use to men dead, now, can I?"

The two of them smiled grudgingly. I turned to Elladan and Elrohir, who had watched the exchange in silence. Elrohir sighed. "Persuading him is harder than taking on a troll with a teaspoon. Trust me, I speak from experience"

I knew exactly who he spoke of. "Lord Elrond cannot interfere with fate. I am my own person, free to come and go as I please."

"Then we will see you soon, little cousin". Elladan grinned a little sadly and ruffled my hair. I frowned at him grumpily and shook it back into place, but returned his heavy smile.

"Be careful." I told them quietly. Elrohir took my right hand in both of his and raised it to his lips. They both bowed solemnly then turned to stand beside Halbarad.

"We should get back", Legolas said, holding out his hand courteously to help me onto the closest horse. Aragorn mounted the other while Legolas settled himself behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist so I could control the horse. It seemed even this urgent moment was an opportunity to practice newly learned skills.

"Go on ahead", Aragorn was saying to Halbarad and the twins. "We will join you as soon as possible. In the meantime, muster everyone you can find. Any Dúnedain you see on your way North must come to us, and if you can, try and find Gandalf. If we are greatly outnumbered, I fear he may be our last hope."

"Indeed. Hopefully he is still in these parts, or perhaps he will hear of our plight somehow." Halbarad sighed. We turned away from the grim man and the dark-haired brothers beside him, but as Aragorn and I began to spur the horses on, there was a shout from behind us.

"Wait, my lady!"

I turned our horse so Halbarad could talk. "If I understand correctly, you offer to risk your life for my people." I nodded.

"It is my doom to aid men at this time of growing darkness. I am tasked with this grim fight even as you are".

"I don't even know your name", he frowned. I smiled slightly.

"Nesseldë."

To my surprise, Halbarad's eyes widened in recognition. "We have been searching for the men who hurt your family, my kin and I. I only wish we had something concrete to tell you, but so far there is nothing."

My stomach plummeted at the mention of the killing of my family, but I supressed my urge to lower my eyes away from Halbarad's, answering him steadily. "I am grateful for your help, more grateful than I can say. Now we must focus not on the dead, but the living who are at risk of joining them. Do you see, now, that I must fight alongside you? I must help stem the tide of enemies before more orphaned daughters join me in my grief."

"You will be more than welcome among my people, Lady Nesseldë", Halbarad smiled slightly, bowing his head. I half smiled back.

"Thank you. I only hope I can help them, before we are all overwhelmed." 

AM

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 444 21
*WARNING I WAS 12 WHEN I WROTE THIS AND IT IS TRASH. CHECK OUT MY NEW LEGOLAS FANFICTION FOR BETTER WRITING* Ginerva is a strong-willed, hot-haired...
204K 10.4K 54
***Book III of the 'To Live Again' Series*** It is the year 3441 of the Second Age of Arda, it has been seven years since the Siege began on Barad-Du...
5.5K 170 19
𝗔𝗿𝗮𝗴𝗼𝗿𝗻 𝘅 𝗟𝗲𝗴𝗼𝗹𝗮𝘀 "Blood and lives were getting lost but none lost their courage. Despite the violent atrocity that had unfolded month...
214K 6.2K 45
Sapphire is an orphan elleth whom was brought up by dwarves in the Mines of Moria. Now she wanders the wilderness of Middle-Earth as one of the most...