Strike At Midnight || Luka Co...

Par ChocAlaine

【Complete! Thank you to everyone who stayed till the end!】 Selene LeClaire- hardly fluent in French- moved to... Plus

Prologue
Meet the Bat Miraculous
Chapter 1 ❧ Forget
Chapter 2 ❧ Maintain Normalcy
Chapter 3 ❧ Baking Buddies
Chapter 4 ❧ Picture Perfect
Chapter 5 ❧ Anti-Hero Debut
Chapter 7 ❧ Newfound Camaraderie
Chapter 8 ❧ Calling A Truce
Chapter 9 ❧ Hero Crash Course
Chapter 10 ❧ Bittersweet Cookies
Chapter 11 ❧ Sly Fox
Chapter 12 ❧ Lousy Co-op
Chapter 13 ❧ Remember
Chapter 14 ❧ Meeting Master Shou
Chapter 15 ❧ Heart to Heart
Chapter 16 ❧ Midnight Incident
Special Merry Christmas
Chapter 17 ❧ Wipe Your Tears
Chapter 18 ❧ Ladybug's Identity
Chapter 19 ❧ Reflect
Chapter 20 ❧ Special Sweetheart
Chapter 21 ❧ A Grand Exit
Chapter 22 ❧ Blue-eyed Knight
Chapter 23 ❧ World Turns Upside Down
Chapter 24 ❧ Blind Spot
Chapter 25 ❧ Repent
Chapter 26 ❧ Finale: Heroes Assemble
Chapter 27 ❧ Finale: Last Battle
Chapter 28 ❧ Aftermath
Editing Update
Epilogue ❧ Years Later
QnA

Chapter 6 ❧ The Collector

4.3K 183 122
Par ChocAlaine

I have just realised it's spelled Emilie and not Emily. I'm sorry for my mistake.

Good news! Since my exams have ended, I can make more frequent updates! See you on Sunday :)

•●•●•●•●•

"Is it broken?"

"No," I answer, standing before him and keeping my eyes on the floor. "Not that I'm aware of. My miraculous doesn't have any abrasions or broken parts. Maybe it's because it was my first time using it."

Gabriel doesn't reply. Instead he remains seated on the sofa. His palm is on his mouth and his frown deepens. He sighs. "I'm disappointed in you, Selene."

"Forgive me, but this isn't what I had in mind when I said I would help you."

"And what did you have in mind?"

"A few errands here and there like I've been doing all this time. I thought I only had to attract people to an akuma. I didn't expect actually going into the field," I say honestly. I glance at Nathalie who stands by with an unreadable expression.

"I had assumed we both share a clear picture of our goal. It seems I've assumed wrong." Gabriel stands from his seat, putting his hands behind his back. "Let me clarify."

He walks up to me, making a show by dragging his feet. I stay rooted to my place, refusing to express my fear as he towers over me. He says, looking down at me. "We are doing what ever it takes to bring my wife back. Even if it means having to fight Ladybug and Chat Noir in the process."

"I'm not sure if this is the way-"

"You will do as you're told regardless of what you feel!" He says, making me wince. To my surprise, he bends down and places a hand on my shoulder. "Listen to me. I understand your doubts about our plan, but just remember. We are doing all this for Emilie. Remember her and how she treated you with love and compassion all these years. Wouldn't you wish to repay her?"

He said all that with a deep sorrow in his eyes that I know that he's being genuine. It made it harder to hate him for it.

"I-I know..." I say. I shake his hand away. "But this is insane." I turn away and make a swift exit. Gabriel didn't bother calling me back but Nathalie followed me out.

"Selene, just listen," Nathalie says from behind.

"What should I be doing?" I interrupt, stopping in my tracks but refusing to meet her gaze. Is this the right thing to do?

"I know looking at it right now, it seems despicable, but it's not," She says, approaching me. "We mean no harm to anyone because we only need the miraculous."

"As long as we do as we're told, we'll make things right again." She bends down like Gabriel did and looks at me in the eye. "If you're feeling worried just understand that it will be all over once we get the miraculous. We can put this all behind us once we're done."

"Can we really keep all this a secret behind Adrien's back?" I say in concern.

"He won't find out. Mr Agreste trusts you in this secret because he knows there are things only you can handle. So please, do everything in your power to help our cause- in this sense, you have the bat miraculous in your control."

My hand unconsciously reaches out to my collar with the ribbon tied around it. Nathalie nods, saying, "Use it to your advantage."

I don't reply so she ended the conversation at that. When I turn away, I pull out my phone and call Juleka. She didn't answer after several rings. After trying a few more times, I eventually gave up.

•●•●•●•●•

"Is there something wrong?" Adrien asks, concern clear on his face.

"No, it's nothing," I say lamely. Staring at the moon through window. I came by Adrien's room, wanting to forget about today, but my foul mood only leaked into the atmosphere.

"Hey, would you like to play duet with me?" Adrien offers, sitting on the piano bench.

"Adrien," I say reproachfully. "I can't play the piano."

He chokes in surprise. "What? Really? I must have forgotten..."

I chuckle as he plays a piece for me instead. I close my eyes, basking into the soft melody for a small but valuable amount of time. They said that the music being played is a reflection of who ever plays it. I can't help but agree in this moment. The melody is slow-paced but it isn't sad. It's tune is gentle and easy- kind of like Adrien, himself.

"So what has been bothering you? You were all right just this morning. Is Juleka okay?"

"I don't know. Today has been hectic and I haven't heard from her at all. I'm worried sick," I say truthfully. Even though I saw her safely de-transform. I'm still concerned about how she's feeling. Guilt continued to gnaw on me.

"It's just like you to be worried all day about your friend. There's no one as kind as you are," he says. "Just give it some time. Maybe she needs rest after getting akumatized like that."

"I guess you're right," I reply and he nods. I stand up from the sofa and make my way out. I want to end this conversation before the truth comes bursting out of my lips. "I'm tired. Let's hit the sack."

At the corner of my eye, I spot a black smudge speed by, but when I look back, there's nothing there. Rubbing my dry eyes, I ask, "Did you see something?"

"Huh? I-I didn't see anything?"

I narrow my eyes at him, sensing a lie. My phone rang before I could step back inside. "Nevermind."

"Good night, Selene." I take one last glance of the gentle smile lighting up his face. My heart skips a beat but it instantly changes to a churning in my stomach from the guilt.

"Night, Adrien." I close the door behind me.

"I see you're still revolving around the same guy since I've last seen you," Grimm says exiting my pocket.

"Oh it's you," I deadpan. "You were so silent this whole time that I began to hope that you've become permanently mute."

I read the caller's ID and instantly answer the phone. "Thank God, Juleka. I'm so glad you're okay." A wave of relief immediately washes over me as I listen to her familiar voice.

•●•●•●•●•

A whole season later.

Ladybug and Chat Noir side by side, fight against the akumatized Gabriel Agreste. At first, I could hardly believe his plan to akumatize himself, but he hoped to throw off suspicion of him as being Hawkmoth.

I was supposed to help out but...

"Grimm, witching hour!" I exclaim for the hundredth time, but he doesn't even react. "What the heck is going on?"

"I told you. If requirements are not met, I can't transform you," he quips with the most irritating poker face.

"Dear God! You're just so...so." I groan in frustration. I run up the stairs, eyes trained to find Adrien in this huge mansion.

"Infuriating?" He offers.

"Annoying!" I exclaim. "What requirements? You're making things up just so you can defy me!"

"I'm being honest here. This is beyond my control. I'm not entirely sure what is happening."

I burst into Adrien's room, only to find it empty. I yell, "Adrien? Where are you Adrien?" I have to make sure he's fine. Not only would I die in worry, I'd also be in hot water when Gabriel returns back.

I'm about to turn back when I almost bump into the re-known superhero of Paris. "Ugh!"

"Selene?" Chat Noir says in surprise. My eyes dart back to Grimm but he has already disappeared out of sight.

"How do you know my name?" I question. I brush him away to check the other rooms, planning to leave him to his business. "Forget it."

"Woah. Are you in a hurry, fair lady?"

"I'm looking for my best friend, Adrien. I've searched everywhere for him!" I exclaim, throwing up my arms.

"Now, don't get your tail in a twist. Do you mean a blonde boy, green eyes, but not as good-looking as me?"

I stare at him, unimpressed. "I guess." But you're not nearly as attractive as he is.

"I saw him leave through the gates, so he's safe. You should go meet him there- get out before the Collector finds you."

My shoulders sag in relief and I make my way downstairs. "Thank yo-" My feet come to a halt, as I comprehend his words to its entirety. I look back to him with a start. "You're lying! Where's Adrien?"

He flinches as he looks at me in surprise. Suddenly, I find his wild blonde locks of hair oddly familiar.

Crash!

"Chat Noir!" Ladybug yells from a hall away.

"There's no time, but I promise you he's safe." Chat says hastily, urgency laced in his voice that I couldn't discern whether or not it was a lie. "Get out now!"

•●•●•●•●•

I stumble out the gate, adrenaline rushing through my veins. My heart beats loud in my chest that it rings in my ears.

"Grimm, witching hour!" I say once again.

"How many times do I have to tell you! I can't!" Grimm reprimands but desperation now laced in his tone.

"I can't believe you! You never had a problem with my dad. Why is it,  suddenly, you're so against me that you refuse to ever listen that what I say!" I yell- all the bottled up frustration and anguish all erupting out like hot lava of a volcano.

"Well, it's probably because you locked me up in a drawer for eight damn years!" Grimm shouts back at me, snapping and losing his composure for the first time.

"You-"

"Excuse me." a third party clears his throat, making me jump in surprise.

"What do you want?" I demand, forgetting that my kwami is still hovering beside me.

"I'm sorry for interrupting your heated argument, but shouldn't you bring this somewhere more secluded?" It's that same blue-haired boy who I ran into after the whole incident with Reflekta- just recalling it makes me feel livid. He's still sporting the same blue jacket and white shirt.

"Mind your own business," I snap.

"We don't want you here," Grimm says.

He shrinks back. "But really now, isn't a kwami supposed to be kept a secret? You're having trouble transforming, right? Maybe you should improve your relationship as partners."

I turn to Grimm. "Do you know this guy?"

"I'm afraid not but he seems to know an awful lot about me."

I turn back to the boy. "Excuse me, but I'm not looking for advice from a stranger. Just be on your way- I have a whole predicament to solve."

"Miraculous Ladybug!" Ladybug's voice can be heard from all the way outside. My eyes widen as I whip my head back to the gates.

"They've defeated the Collector already?!" I blurt out.

"Seems like they solved it themselves," Grimm says. I groan silently- finally understanding how Hawkmoth feels after being defeated so quickly.

"Just consider it," The boy continues undaunted. "You could offer him a snack. He could be hungry and tired."

"Grimm is always tired and he never eats," I say, recalling all the times when my dad was still Chiroptera. Grimm would regularly sleep, hanging upside down, at times when he wasn't playing with 5-year-old me.

"Where's your off button?" Grimm says, looking annoyed as ever, but by now, has calmed down.

"Thanks but I hope I never have to see you again," I say to the boy before running back to the mansion. My displeasing attitude aside, if I do see him again, I wouldn't enjoy explaining myself and my bat kwami to a stranger.

I managed to find Adrien unharmed and Gabriel had returned back to normal. He ordered us back to our rooms before I could interrogate Adrien. I acquiesce- relieved I wasn't chided by Gabriel. Returning back to my room, I scratch my head, throwing furtive glances at Grimm.

"What?" He says, sensing my peculiar behaviour.

"I could order siomai," I say out of the blue. I faintly remember tiny dumplings being atleast edible to him.

"Thanks I love siomai," he says monotonously.

"Don't get ahead of yourself. I want to eat them too," I say, unsure why I'm being so snappy today.

There's a brief period of silence. Something peculiar is buzzing in the air when he says, "Order soy sauce too."

•●•●•●•●•

It feels weird typing shumai. Usually I write siomai or siew mai. And my friends say soya sauce instead of soy sauce ;^_^

Edit: I changed it to siomai cause I type it by default.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

1.5K 60 23
♡ | Wave, a fresh-faced homeschooled girl, is about to embark on an exciting new chapter in her life: relocating to the enchanting city of Paris with...
500K 14K 102
(Y/N) (L/N) flew all the way to Paris France, due to her familys business taking off and expanding. In an unexpected event at one of Jagged Stones co...
14.5K 222 10
(discontinued) Lila has won, she got Marinette's friends on her side, framing her for something she didn't do, even Adrien seems to believe Lila, the...
42.1K 680 17
"Marinette? She's just a friend." Adrien and Marinette were best friends since they were kids. Marinette had already fallen inlove with him but, Adri...