The Royal Games

By AshlingWilliams

Just as I go to slip into my room, the mysterious stranger places a hand on my waist and leans over my should... More

The Royal Games
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37 - BONUS CHAPTER 1
Chapter 38 - BONUS CHAPTER 2
A/N - Goodbye and Vote
❗️NEW STORY❗️

Chapter 21

959 29 4
By AshlingWilliams

Recap:

I hang up a little while later, promising to call her again at the end of the week. I smile to myself - it was nice talking to her. I really do miss my family, but atleast I've got Lexi and Dylan. Well, and Stefan of course. For now...

A Perfect Moment

It's date day - it's only our second date - officially - although if you count all our stolen time together, it'd be much much higher. But I'm happy - I like these official dates because Stefan and I don't have to hide away. He can plan whatever he wants for us and it's a proper date. Today, Courtney and Lily have left me an outfit featuring trousers! I honestly was beginning to think they didn't exist in upper class Britain. But I can't say I'm not relieved; it's a nice change that's for sure! It does leave me wondering what today's date will bring...

Stefan takes me to one of the royal stables.

It's a surprisingly short walk from the palace - maybe 20 or so minutes? The stables are massive - there must be over 300 horses here, easily. It sits at the top of a large hill with open fields, lakes and forests rolling way into the distance below. Honestly, I'm in my element. I love horses; I used to ride regularly but as I got older I had less and less time. Thinking back, the last time I rode must have been on my 15th birthday... wow.

"Stefan!" I breathe, taking in the view. "it's amazing!"

He smiles proudly. "I'm glad you like it."

The stables are split into 4 main blocks: horses for the royal guard, race horses, eventing horses and yearlings in training. Stefan lets me wander through all the isles, greeting the horses as I go. The final block is the yearlings.

As we make our way past, one catches my eye. Moving a little closer, the label on the stall reads: Snow Storm, female. She's angrily stamping her hoof on the floor, shaking her head and letting out some aggressive snorts. Clearly she's not happy - mares can often be temperamental but this one seems... agitated?

She's absolutely gorgeous though, I can't help the sharp intake of breath that escapes. Her mane is black, and her coat is dapple grey. She's slender but I can see she has some decent muscles on her. There's something about her face though, her eyes.

Looking at the info sheet, it reads:
Name: Snow Storm
Age: 2
Sire: Night Storm
Dam: Snow Celeste
Current height: 15hh
Expected height: 16hh

"She's beautiful!" I breathe to Stefan.

"Beautiful? Yes. But boy has she got a temper. Father had high hopes for her, she was bred to perfection. Her sire is a legend in the equestrian world, placing first in the Olympics five times running. Earned his retirement that's for sure, father just keeps him as a stud now. Her dam, while not an Olympic winner, dominated the world's most prestigious races. Snow Storm here has amazing potential. But the trainers have had hardly any luck. She's broken, and when she behaves is beyond exceptional, but that only tends to last a few minutes before she's misbehaving again and not listening the rider. Honestly, we've spent so much money on her and various trainers - trying to fix her. Father is probably just going to sell her now... Not every horse makes it right?"

I frown at the end of his statement. She'll end up on a meat truck or something surely? I edge closer to her stall slowly, my hands clearly in view to show her I mean no harm.

"Careful - she bites." Stefan cautions.

"Hey girl." I murmur quietly. "I'm not going to hurt you." She stills at my voice, focused solely on me. She seems almost to cock her head to one side. Then, she takes a step and pushes her nose into my outstretched hand. I let out a little breathe of relief and smile. "Aren't you a beauty Storm." I smile.

"Amazing!" Stefan exclaims. "Usually she bites and kicks. Refuses to let anyone come near her. You're something else."

I smile and extend a handful of oats. I picked them up earlier and have been feeding them to random horses; Storm guzzles up the oats within no time before gently nudging me with her nose as if searching for more. "Sorry girl!" I hold my hands up. "I don't have anymore. But next time... I promise."

I place a little kiss on her nose before Stefan leads me to a tiny block of 4 stalls. "I thought we could go riding?"

"I'd love to." I smile. Stefan's horse is a stallion. Pure black, no other colour. Maximus is his name, and he stands at 18hh! I don't think I've ever seen such a large horse. Mine is a gelding called Chestnut, who's ironically fun rather than chestnut, at the slightly smaller height of 17hh. Still pretty tall for me though...

Stefan leads us on a beautiful route through the woods and several beautiful streams. Eventually, the path widens and so there's enough room for our horses to walk side by side. We walk in a comfortable silence for a while, enjoying the view and the fresh air. It's nice to be away from the palace, and the selection. I feel a little piece of the old me shining through all the changes; I'm in a new city, living a new life almost, with new people - yet here I am riding again like I did as a child. It makes me happy.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Stefan's voice brings me out of my own head.

"Oh nothing really. Just thinking about how I used to ride when I was younger - thank you, by the way, Stefan. I love this. You've outdone yourself."

He grins proudly at me, sitting up a little straighter. "You're welcome here anytime. I'll advise the staff and manager and you'll be free to ride anytime."

"Oh! Thank you." I smile, reaching out and giving his hand a squeeze.

It's not long before our trail leads us to a clearing in some woods. Here, we decide to take a break. Dismounting, we tie the horses reigns to a tree and Stefan takes the saddle blanket from Maximus' back to lie on the floor for us to sit on.

Using Stefan as a pillow for my head, we lie looking through the dappled leaves into the blue sky. Stefan strokes my hair and I feel truly happy. Content. It's as if we're a normal couple, on a normal date. I let out a sad sigh.

"What is it?"

"Nothing." I don't want to ruin this almost perfect moment.

He pauses and I thought he'd let it go. That is until his next statement, answering my unvoiced thoughts. "I'm sorry Rose. I wish we could do things like this more often. You deserve better than creeping around in the shadows, you deserve someone who can show you off on his arm every day. There's nothing I wish more than to be that man for you."

"Thank you - you know, that means a lot to me."

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

The sky is grey today. The clouds furiously float about the sky, determined to keep the sun away. Somewhere in the distance, the rumble of thunder warns of storm about to roll in. Today, the heavens are not happy. And neither am I.

"She's what?"

Stefan runs a hand through his hair, clearly wanting nothing more than to escape this conversation. "She's coming here for a visit in 2 weeks." He sighs, repeating his earlier words to me.

I can't believe my ears. The King has agreed to host Princess Matilda here at the Palace, during the selection. He's parading the victor right under our noses, before our defeat is even announced. I grind my teeth together in anger. Now, not only do Stefan and I have to hide from his brother, parents and the other girls, but now we'll have to hide from Matilda also - all while I'll have to sit and watch as she stakes her claim on her future husband. I know he's not mine but the thought of seeing him with another woman...

"Rose? Please talk to me." We're lying on my bed, Stefan lying on his back, his left arm wrapped around my waist, as I lay curled up into his side with my head on his chest. Sighing, I sit up a little annoyed the moment's ruined. Sensing my shift in mood, Stefan follows suit and lifts himself so he's sat next to me.

"I know it's not your fault Stefan but it's just... it's so hard. Seeing you with the other girls is hard enough but now Matilda? Your fiancé." I emphasise the word. Looking down I bite my lip before voicing what's been pinging around my brain ever since he told me of his betrothal to Matilda. "Stefan... what are we doing?"

My voice comes out as a whisper, so quiet I don't even think he can hear. But out of the corner of my eye I see his body tense. "Rose please don't... we talked about this."

"No, I mean it. You're engaged Stefan. Your father has promised a marriage between you and Matilda. We both know you can't step down and let Damon rule England, and we both know you'll never defy your father. So what other choice is there? The longer we let this ... whatever this is ... carry on, the more it's going to hurt..."

"Rose I want you."

"Can't you see? You're hurting me." I snap as I sit up, my voice coming out more forcefully than I'd intended. And yet I make no mine to apologise or retract the statement because we both know it's true. There's no way for me to honestly take it back, and so I don't. "I just... I just think I need some space."

Before he can respond, I stand and exit the room. Shutting the door behind me, I sink to the floor with my back against the door. Resting my elbows on my bent knees I bury my head in my hands, finally allowing the tears to fall. The sobs rack my body as I let it all out. This is it, deep down I know it. Stefan and I have to grow up and face reality. And I have to let him go.

I don't know how long I sit there but that is how Dylan finds me. A sobbing mess in a broken bundle on the floor. "Rosie." His voice is soft and he bends down. "Come on darling." Gently wrapping an arm round my shoulder and placing a hand on my other arm, he lifts me to my feet and guides me away from my my room's door.

"It will be ok. You'll be ok."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1813

*sad face* - who else is as sad as me? I just want them to be together and living happily ever after already! But will they get their fairytale ending? What do you think - you shipping them as hard as I am?

Let me know your thoughts!
-ashling-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

241 25 18
Being a crown princess, with a selection of princes vying for your hand? What's the catch? Well, for one, love isn't the only thing that's on their m...
1.1K 51 16
Ariel Peters has always had a rich life. Her family were royals, therefore she was set to marry another royal. However, a new deal is made when the n...
3.3M 138K 40
Her presence was once one that enamoured the masses. A beautiful young princess whose destiny seemed to be set in a life of royal balls and princes. ...
17.2K 1K 43
Cinderella has found her prince and the Enchanted Kingdom is flourishing, but in a land far, far away...there's another kingdom that's seriously miss...