The Draykon Series (1-3)

By CharlotteEnglish

A sweeping epic fantasy series full of mystery and adventure, rare jewels and mythical creatures. Ancient le... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Draykon: Epilogue
Lokant: Chapter One
Lokant: Chapter Two
Lokant: Chapter Three
Lokant: Chapter Four
Lokant: Chapter Five
Lokant: Chapter Six
Lokant: Chapter Seven
Lokant: Chapter Eight
Lokant: Chapter Nine
Lokant: Chapter Ten
Lokant: Chapter Eleven
Lokant: Chapter Twelve
Lokant: Chapter Thirteen
Lokant: Chapter Fourteen
Lokant: Chapter Fifteen
Lokant: Chapter Sixteen
Lokant: Chapter Seventeen
Lokant: Chapter Eighteen
Lokant: Chapter Nineteen
Lokant: Chapter Twenty
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-One
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Two
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Three
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Four
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Five
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Six
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Lokant: Chapter Thirty
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-One
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Two
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Three
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Four
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Five
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Six
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Seven
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Eight
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Nine
Lokant: Chapter Forty
Lokant: Chapter Forty-One
Orlind: Chapter One
Orlind: Chapter Two
Orlind: Chapter Three
Orlind: Chapter Four
Orlind: Chapter Five
Orlind: Chapter Six
Orlind: Chapter Seven
Orlind: Chapter Eight
Orlind: Chapter Nine
Orlind: Chapter Ten
Orlind: Chapter Eleven
Orlind: Chapter Twelve
Orlind: Chapter Thirteen
Orlind: Chapter Fourteen
Orlind: Chapter Fifteen
Orlind: Chapter Sixteen
Orlind: Chapter Seventeen
Orlind: Chapter Eighteen
Orlind: Chapter Nineteen
Orlind: Chapter Twenty
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-One
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Two
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Three
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Four
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Five
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Six
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Seven
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Orlind: Chapter Thirty
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-One
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-Four

Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Seven

454 68 0
By CharlotteEnglish

Time passed strangely in this strangest of places. In point of fact, time didn't pass at all, or so Limbane claimed. Llandry didn't know how to believe or understand him on that point.

Nor, indeed, on any other topic on which he'd spoken since she had been brought here.

It didn't help that he frequently spoke in enigmatic riddles and refused to explain himself. Lady Glostrum was right: he was keeping a great deal of information from them, for reasons she did not know and did not trust.

But it didn't matter whether or not she trusted him, or the equally reticent Andraly. Her thorough exploration of the "Library" had merely revealed more of it; more and more and more rooms and halls and corridors and silent people intent on alarmingly big books, and never any hint of an exit.

She couldn't even tell where in the worlds this Library was. Neither could Pensould.

The four of them - Tren and Lady Glostrum as well - had taken to congregating in the chart room. It was a peculiar place, so packed with information that it made her dizzy just looking at it. But the group attempt to decipher the puzzle themselves, instead of waiting for Limbane to explain it, kept her occupied.

It kept her wayward mind from imagining red-scaled Isand descending on Glinnery with an army of draykons behind, intent on taking back Arvale.

All in good time, Miss Sanfaer. That was all Limbane had said when she had questioned him about it.

I need to go home! Glinnery must be warned!

All in good time, Miss Sanfaer.

So she waited, anxiously and with poor grace. She tried to slide between the worlds the way she did so easily in her draykon form, but on passing the walls that enclosed this strange place she encountered nothing.

Simply nothing, as if the place really did exist entirely in isolation from everything - even time.

That had shaken her badly.

How she wished to be on the wing in Iskyr again, strong and proud and sure of her place in the world. Too rapidly was she turning back into the person she'd been until only a moon ago: insecure, unsure, full of doubts and anxieties and prone to the distressing attacks of panic that she'd hoped never to feel again. Pensould's presence could not wholly soothe her, for he was as uncertain and confused as she; he had little calming influence to share. Only Sigwide could comfort her. Loyal as ever, her orting refused to be parted from her. The warmth of his small body and the softness of his fur under her hands kept her stable, more or less, his chattering distracting and amusing her.

Cold, he often said, and she would wrap him in her cloak and hold him close until he stopped shivering.

Food, he would say next, and she'd share the bowls of nuts she begged from the Library kitchen.

Thanks. She was trying to teach him manners, and some of it was finally starting to take. For a while she had waited for him to communicate in more detail, hoping that it was her lack of ability that kept his impressions brief and simple. But he stayed the same. Loyal though he was, perhaps intellect wasn't his strongest attribute.

It didn't matter. She loved him anyway.

She was sitting in the middle of the chart room one day - not that days could be counted anymore - when Tren approached. Pensould, against whom she was resting, tensed with the usual suspicion he felt whenever anybody approached Llandry - especially anybody male. Placing a hand on his arm to soothe him, she mustered a smile for Lady Eva's friend.

And privately she agreed with Pensould in wishing him away. He was a stranger and a confident, good-looking one at that. That combination was painful to her frayed nerves.

He had obviously taken her measure, for he approached her with a kind of gentle, essentially patronising carefulness that she often experienced from good-natured strangers.

'Miss Sanfaer,' he began.

'Llandry.'

'Llandry. I've found something that may interest you.'

She stood up with some reluctance and followed him, all the way across the vast chamber to a stretch of the wall that looked the same as any other. It had been Tren who had discovered how to activate the weird enchantments that operated the wall's writings. The text had been plain black when she had first entered this room, but now the walls glowed with colour. What the significance of the different shades was had not yet been determined.

Most of the writing on this part of the wall was blue, with splashes of purple.

Tren gestured to the nearest ladder. 'Up about halfway. Take some care, it's wobbly.'

Warily, she climbed. Pensould stood at the bottom holding the base of the ladder, though her diminutive, too-thin frame did little to affect its stability.

'That's about right,' said Tren after a while. 'Do you see it?'

'Do I see what?'

'Keep reading, right about eye level there.'

Llandry let her eyes run over the neatly-scribed names. None of it meant anything to her, and she turned to cast Tren a puzzled look.

'Keep reading,' he said, smiling encouragement.

She obeyed, having little else to do after all.

Ayla Sanfaer.

Sanfaer? She read on, faster now, her thoughts suddenly buzzing. Eron Sanfaer, Octovan Sanfaer, Liritia Sanfaer.

Ynara Sanfaer.

Llandry Sanfaer.

She blanched, staring at her own name on that impossible wall. Most of the Sanfaers' names were written in blue or purple, though predominantly blue. Hers shone blue, purple and gold by turns.

Bright, bright gold that dazzled her eyes.

'What does it mean?' she asked, her voice shaking.

'I don't know,' Tren admitted as she climbed slowly down. 'Have you seen any other names in gold?'

She shook her head.

'Eva said the same thing. It's something to consider, isn't it?'

He was too cheerful, given their predicament. It was impossible that he didn't chafe under the confinement as did she and Pensould. It was impossible that he didn't feel frustrated at the too-small nuggets of information that Limbane fed them, and the vast deal more that he withheld. But he was one of those people whose cheerfulness somehow never wavered.

She hated those people on principle. They made her feel wholly inadequate.

'Thank you for showing me,' she said with stiff politeness. He nodded, his eyes quizzical as she turned away from him.

It was Lady Glostrum who discovered the next gold-touched name, some immeasurable time later. In fact she found several in the same section of wall, though they were not linked by any obvious relationship to one another.

'There is some time scheme here, some kind of chronology,' she murmured, mostly to herself. 'But I cannot understand it.'

This new crop of gold names was situated a long way around the room from Llandry's own. Interestingly, none of them had family names. Further, in this part of the room many of the names remained plain black, displaying no colours at all.

Llandry studied them carefully, though without much effect. Each gold name was connected to a plain black name. Springing from these groups were more black names, and an occasional blue or purple one. As the chart progressed, the colours became more common and each name was in two parts: given name and family name.

Pensould, she said silently. Can you make anything of this?

Pensould had long given up on ladders. He spent a lot of time in his draykon form, the room being quite large enough to accommodate him. Now he flew to her side, hovering with a skill that impressed her.

I cannot read human letters. You must describe to me what you see.

She hadn't realised that before. Gracious, no wonder he was so bored.

Can't you learn, the same way you learned to speak my mother's language?

Perhaps, if you will teach me.

I think we have time, she replied with a little laugh. She relayed to him everything that she saw, watching as his keen eyes swept the wall where she pointed.

What is being displayed?

Family relationships. See, here is my name. My mother's name, and my father's. The names of their parents, and so on.

Is there a link between your name and the other gold names?

Llandry stared round the room, noting the distance between her own name and the section where Lady Glostrum still stood.

Pensould, it could take weeks to track backwards from my name, all the way around to here.

Well, we appear to have time. His tone was disgruntled, for which she didn't blame him. It didn't suit him at all to sit and wait.

True, she admitted. At least she could teach Pensould his letters while she worked.

Long before Llandry completed this lengthy task, she discovered something else.

Evastany Glostrum, marked on the wall in blue. But as Llandry watched, it melded into pale whitish-silver and back to blue.

Eva greeted the discovery with irritation. 'Gold names, silver names,' she muttered. 'What is this, some kind of test?'

Her ladyship's composure was crumbling further as time passed. Llandry found it unnerving to watch the woman's unflappable demeanour steadily erode away. She could see that it affected Tren, too, for he moved towards her with the air of a person anxious to comfort. But she scowled at him so fiercely that he backed away.

Llandry sighed and turned her back on them. The atmosphere in this curious puzzle of a prison was deteriorating further the longer Limbane and Andraly absented themselves.

'The silver must denote Lokants,' Lady Glostrum said after a while, in a steadier manner. 'If we could find Ana or Griel, or Krays, we could confirm that theory.'

Llandry thought fast. 'If that's true, then perhaps - perhaps the gold means -'

'Allow me to assist,' came Limbane's voice. 'Not that you aren't doing splendidly on your own.' She whirled to find the white-haired old gentleman standing at Lady Glostrum's elbow. He smiled pleasantly and pointed up at the dome.

'My name is up there,' he said. 'Near the top. We coloured it in silver. Andraly's - also silver - is a little further down. Yours is a weaker hue, my dear, because while you have a great deal of Lokant in you, your unusual make-up consists of some other heritage as well. Notably draykon, and a little human.' He looked at Llandry. 'Gold, as I think you were about to infer, denotes draykoni. Miss Sanfaer, we estimate that you are approximately ninety percent draykoni, with only minimal human heritage. That has happened because most of your ancestors are descended directly from draykoni. You may imagine that this is a rare occurrence.'

Llandry found nothing to say.

Limbane pointed without hesitation to another part of the room. 'Mr Warvel's name you will discover over there. Perhaps seventy percent draykoni heritage. Mostly from the Everum tribes, which usually results in sorcerous talent. And with your strong heritage, Warvel, that means a lot of it.'

'Wait - what -'

Limbane ignored Tren's stuttering and turned on Pensould. 'Master Pensould is not on this chart, because his blood has never been mixed with another's and he has no descendants. Nor were his parents ever recorded on this chart, because he predates our system.'

Llandry felt Pensould's flash of pride at the idea.

'Have I now answered most of your questions?'

'No!' Eva said. She stood glaring at Limbane with her elegant hands clenched into fists and her mouth set. 'Questions and more questions you've raised and only partial answers offered. The most important question I wish to put to you is why are you keeping us here?'

Limbane patted her arm. 'You were supposed to be resting, your ladyship, that was the plan. Though I apologise if I have left you here for longer than I intended. I am used to the workings of the Library, I suppose, and that tends to eradicate any real sense of urgency after a while.'

'Resting?' Eva spat.

'Resting,' Limbane repeated, with offensive affability. 'There is much to be done and you will be needing your strength.'

'Ah - what, exactly, are we to be doing?' That was Tren, hands stuffed in his pockets as usual and watching Limbane with a befuddled air.

Limbane began to appear annoyed. 'That is not a constructive question, Mr Warvel. We have another Eterna Conflict brewing, thanks to the efforts of our draykon friends here; Krays is up to something and I usually dislike anything Krays is up to; and I fear he has altogether lost his grip on some of his trained partials, and that means rogue Lokants, and -'

'What,' said Eva with studied calm, 'is the Eterna Conflict?'

'That has been discussed,' replied Limbane, a dangerous edge to his tone.

'No. It hasn't. After you explain that, you might also be kind enough to inform me of who, or what, I am.'

'And me,' Tren put in.

'And how is it that I could be draykoni and never know it?' added Llandry.

Only Pensould had nothing to say, choosing only to bare his teeth at Limbane.

Limbane inhaled sharply, his expression turning testy. 'If I am to have to repeat myself every time I see you I imagine it would be more efficient to find assistance elsewhere.'

'Now, Limbane.' Andraly appeared beside him. 'You know how you forget things. I imagine you've left a few gaps in our new friends' knowledge.'

'I feel certain that we discussed the matter of Lokant heritage and the Eterna Conflict,' Limbane replied stubbornly.

Eva shook her head. 'You abandoned that story halfway through.'

'Very well,' he sighed. 'Conduct them to my room if you please, Andraly.' He vanished.

Andraly grinned at them. 'He's old,' she said. 'He gets forgetful. And crabby. Follow me, please.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

494 58 16
Prompt: "Fairytales are real" and there couldn't be anything worse." "Hi, my name is Rue, and my fairytale is worse than Cinderella's and Snow White'...
196K 15.2K 51
{COMPLETED} The stars disappeared seventeen years ago. A black night sky has mirrored a bleak existence for the people of Auros. The Gifted, humans w...
56K 5K 113
THE TAVERNER'S DAUGHTER - BOOK ONE FANTASY, MAGIC, DRAGONS, ROMANCE, WINGED WIZARDS. Please Note: The rest of this series will not be published u...
237 2 28
War is coming... yet no one knows. The Deplorable festers in his anger, his rage newly ignited as one of his own suddenly betrays him, rocking him t...