The Draykon Series (1-3)

Bởi CharlotteEnglish

A sweeping epic fantasy series full of mystery and adventure, rare jewels and mythical creatures. Ancient le... Xem Thêm

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Draykon: Epilogue
Lokant: Chapter One
Lokant: Chapter Two
Lokant: Chapter Three
Lokant: Chapter Four
Lokant: Chapter Five
Lokant: Chapter Six
Lokant: Chapter Seven
Lokant: Chapter Eight
Lokant: Chapter Nine
Lokant: Chapter Ten
Lokant: Chapter Eleven
Lokant: Chapter Twelve
Lokant: Chapter Thirteen
Lokant: Chapter Fourteen
Lokant: Chapter Sixteen
Lokant: Chapter Seventeen
Lokant: Chapter Eighteen
Lokant: Chapter Nineteen
Lokant: Chapter Twenty
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-One
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Two
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Three
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Four
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Five
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Six
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Seven
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Lokant: Chapter Thirty
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-One
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Two
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Three
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Four
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Five
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Six
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Seven
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Eight
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Nine
Lokant: Chapter Forty
Lokant: Chapter Forty-One
Orlind: Chapter One
Orlind: Chapter Two
Orlind: Chapter Three
Orlind: Chapter Four
Orlind: Chapter Five
Orlind: Chapter Six
Orlind: Chapter Seven
Orlind: Chapter Eight
Orlind: Chapter Nine
Orlind: Chapter Ten
Orlind: Chapter Eleven
Orlind: Chapter Twelve
Orlind: Chapter Thirteen
Orlind: Chapter Fourteen
Orlind: Chapter Fifteen
Orlind: Chapter Sixteen
Orlind: Chapter Seventeen
Orlind: Chapter Eighteen
Orlind: Chapter Nineteen
Orlind: Chapter Twenty
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-One
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Two
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Three
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Four
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Five
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Six
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Seven
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Orlind: Chapter Thirty
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-One
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-Four

Lokant: Chapter Fifteen

492 71 1
Bởi CharlotteEnglish

Leaving the Geslin house early the next morning, Tren didn't proceed immediately with his plan to return to the Lowers. He had another errand to complete first.

He took a public carriage to the other side of the populous town of Westrarc. On the outskirts of the settlement was the premises of Lawch & Son, the light-globe manufactory that Mrs Geslin was now involved with. The establishment proved to be a large one, but it didn't take him long to find the information he needed. Stepping inside the office, he introduced himself to the dapper clerk as a representative of the Glostrum Estate.

The man's face lit up with instant recognition. 'Ah, marvellous! It's some time since we received word from her ladyship.'

'She has had much on her mind of late,' Tren replied. Glancing about the office, he saw several examples of the artistic light-globes that Eva used in her own house. How like her, he thought; if she admired a company's product she would simply buy the company.

'I have the regular reports,' the clerk offered. 'Perhaps you can deliver them directly, Mr Warvel?'

'Ah - no. I have some other business to perform for her ladyship before I am permitted to return to Glour City.'

The man nodded briskly. 'Please convey our continued regards. Her recent investment has allowed us to expand the business considerably. Please also inform her that the new style of globe she suggested has proved very popular. She'll be pleased to know it.'

The clerk's attitude was beginning to prove too oily for Tren's tastes, but he stood his ground. 'I will ensure that she knows. She particularly asked me to check on the progress of her share transfer. I believe Geslin was the name?'

The clerk donned a gleaming pair of spectacles and rustled papers for a few minutes. At length he looked up with a triumphant exclamation.

'Here it is. Geslin, 35th house Ruarch Street? Yes. Those shares were transferred successfully. We are delighted to have her ladyship's friends among our shareholders.'

Tren sighed inwardly, suffering some conflicted feelings. Part of him felt that it ought to have been his responsibility to care for the Geslins; he was practically a member of the family after all, and if he hadn't been able to save Ed, at least he could make up for it by taking over where he had left off.

But he knew that attitude was essentially selfish. Eva had found a simple and direct way of providing for them in the long-term, and she'd done it without mentioning a word to anyone. She had also found a way to protect Mrs Geslin's pride. It was a deeply decent thing to do and also a sensitive one, and he felt a brief pang in reflecting on it.

'Thank you,' he said to the clerk and rose to leave.

'Ah - a moment, Mr Warvel. It occurs to me that her ladyship might enjoy a sample of our newest product. Would you care to see it?'

'I - yes, all right, but I have a great deal more to do this morning.' Tren affected the harried and self-important air of a middle-rank official with surprising ease.

'Of course, of course,' the clerk replied. Moving with bustling speed, he unlocked a cabinet that stood behind his desk and took out a light globe. It was larger than any Tren had seen before, as large as the chandelier that graced Eva's drawing-room. It was encased in a gracefully wrought silver cage; Tren could see at a glance that the globe would throw light onto nearby surfaces in the pattern enforced by the metal.

'Remarkable,' he said honestly.

'That's not all, sir! When activated, this globe will change the colour of the light with every rotation.'

Tren blinked. 'Truly? May I try?'

'Please!' The clerk placed the globe gently on the desk. Tren summoned his sorcery and activated it; the ball rose gently into the air and began to slowly rotate, emitting a soft white light. After about a minute, the light changed to blue.

Tren had seen coloured globes before, but the colours were either embedded into the glass and therefore fixed, or they had to be changed manually by the sorcerer. A colour-changing globe was perfectly possible, as long as a sorcerer was prepared to stand by it and alter the hue of light every few minutes. This globe operated autonomously.

'How does it work? An embedded enchantment of some kind?' Tren made the suggestion knowing it didn't make sense. Embedding enchantments was, again, the province of the sorcerer; Lawch & Son couldn't advertise the properties of the product unless those properties were bound to the globe in some way.

'It's more a matter of science. We had an inventor come in from Ullarn - mighty difficult fellow and the consultancy fees were enormous, but he did a marvellous job, so I'm told. You couldn't ask me to say more than that. I'm an administrative man, not a scientist.'

'Of course,' murmured Tren. 'Fascinating. Has Lady Glostrum seen this yet?'

'Not to my knowledge. Do you think her ladyship would enjoy a sample? It's her money as made it possible, after all.'

'Oh, certainly. Do send one right away. A wedding gift, perhaps.' He paused. 'If you could note that you sent it on my recommendation, I'd be grateful.'

The clerk winked, entirely understanding the apparent attempts of a middle-grade lackey to get ahead. 'I'll do that, sir.'

Tren left the factory feeling thoughtful. He was surprised to hear of the involvement of an Ullarn inventor. It was not common to hear of the Darklands engineers hiring themselves out that way. He had no doubt that the consultancy fees were, indeed, enormous.

What puzzled him most was the mechanics of it. A new type of glass? How could that possibly work? The colour change reminded him of the way the light changed in the Lower Realm as the moons turned. Instinctively he would have said that this new technology owed something to the world of Ayrien, as he supposed he must now call it. But if there was a link, the probable nature of it escaped him entirely.

He dismissed the problem. He couldn't get side-tracked by new technologies, however interesting they might be; he had a more pressing task.

He was planning to journey south of Westrarc, close to the Ullarn border in fact. When he had travelled that way with Eva some weeks before, they had stepped through a rogue gate into the Lowers - a curious type of gate that remained stable unless it was deliberately closed. Even then, the gate would reopen itself in the same place sometime later.

He had a theory that the gate was not a rogue at all, but placed there and maintained by the sorcerer Griel. He hoped to find it still in place when he arrived, and if it was... going through it would return him to the same vicinity he'd visited with Eva.

In that area had been the tall and highly peculiar tower in which they had found Andraly Winnier's memoirs. They had lost the book, so instead he would go back to the book's source and try his luck there.

And if it got him out of Glour City before Eva wed herself irrevocably to a man she didn't love, all the better.

They had not been long in the air when a wave of excitement swamped Llandry's senses, emanating from Pensould. It was never easy to keep pace with a draykon so much bigger than she was, but by beating her sail-like wings at an unsustainable pace she was able to draw level with him. Glancing down, she saw nothing to explain his enthusiasm.

Pensould? What is it?

He banked abruptly and circled around, gradually descending towards the ground.

Another draykon grave, he replied. Open your mind, Minchu. You will feel it.

Open her mind? As instructions went, this was vague to say the least. Llandry wasted a few seconds feeling irritable, but with an inward sigh she put that aside.

She knew how the draykon bone felt. She had sensed it before, but then she had been in human form and on the ground. She had felt it pulse through the earth beneath her feet. Could she feel it from the air?

She cleared her mind with a deep breath and tentatively began to search. She promptly lost her concentration on her flight and descended with unseemly haste towards the ground. A flash of panic froze her body and she failed to right herself. The ground rushed towards her face...

With a grunt of irritation, Pensould darted beneath her and she landed on him instead. They both hit the ground with a sharp impact and she felt a stab of pain from him.

Sorry, sorry.

Pensould's voice in her mind was gruff with exasperation. You must stop trying to fly like a human. These things? These? He righted himself, flapping his wings ostentatiously. They are not arms! You fly as though you are trying to grab the air and pull yourself forward. You must let the currents do the work for you.

Um, right. Sorry. She stretched out her crumpled legs, mortified. Really, she made a liability of herself. Pensould would do better to leave her behind.

Now, Minchu. I love you still. Pensould nudged her with his nose, sending her a wave of affection that made her instantly feel better.

Until she remembered Sigwide. Oh no, Sig!

Pensould's nostrils twitched. If you will insist on bringing tiny passengers...

Frantic, she cast out with her summoner senses, looking for the imprint Sigwide's presence made on the world. She knew it better than she knew her own, but she couldn't sense him.

Sigwide! She roared the name with the full power of her will. To her surprise and alarm, the cry was amplified beyond all reason. She knew the limits of her own, untrained summoner abilities; she should not be able to reach so far, to quest so powerfully for her orting's presence. The depths of her own power frightened her.

A thin, answering cry came from somewhere above. She launched herself into the air, hurling herself in the direction of that call. She discovered Sigwide at last, sitting in the branches of one of the tall, red-leaved trees in this part of Iskyr. He was clinging desperately to the branch as it swayed in the wind, his short grey fur standing on end. His desperation was palpable as she neared him; he screamed again, and to her shock she understood him.

Help.

The word formed clearly in her mind, though she recognised it as an interpretation of his actual utterance. She read his speech in the same way that she understood Pensould when he spoke to her without words.

Help!

Tentatively, she sent a thought back to him. Coming!

Carefully, she descended until she hovered near Sigwide's branch. Reaching out with one alarmingly large leg, she delicately closed her claws around Sigwide and snatched him up. The orting screamed with fear and relief as he was borne back to the ground. She released him and immediately transformed back into her human shape so she could pick him up. He nuzzled her face, calming rapidly in her arms.

Siggy?

It was harder to do it outside of her draykon shape. She knew that from Pensould, though it was growing easier the more she practiced. Nonetheless, she caught Sigwide's brief reply.

Food?

She laughed. 'You foolish creature,' she muttered aloud. Try not to fall off again, Siggy.

Yes. No. Food?

If we are finished, perhaps we can proceed?

She was learning that Pensould could be a grouch.

Nearly, she returned. I don't understand, Pensould. How am I hearing Sigwide?

She felt his surprise. You could not before?

No, though I began to feel his emotions more clearly when I carried one of your bones. And now, when I am draykon-shaped.

Pensould sniffed disapprovingly at the mention of his bones. The connection ought to be obvious.

Oh. She thought furiously. Draykon bone amplifies human magic, doesn't it? That's why people were so interested in it. I was a better summoner than I've ever been when I wore a piece.

Human magic? There is no such thing. He was arrogantly condescending. It is draykon magic, pure and simple. As far as I can tell, what you grant the odd name of "summoning" is merely a diluted, weak form of draykon empathetics.

Llandry blinked. We've been working draykon magic?

It can barely be graced with that name in its current form, but yes. I sense nothing about it that is not perfectly compatible with what we are doing.

But we're human.

Are you? You yourself are only a small bit human. You are mostly draykon. Does it not follow that others are mostly human, with a small bit draykon?

You're saying that humans and draykons can breed? Her mind reeled at the thought that somewhere back in time, many generations ago, the draykon and human species had somehow, in some way, been combined, and the draykon traits had bred true ever since.

I cannot say that I have ever tried, he returned. When I was last awake, humans were magicless creatures and we never thought it worthwhile to try to look like one. But I have an idea. His mood flashed from pompously didactic to mischievous. We will both take our human shapes, and then we will mate. If we succeed in producing young, then we will consider the theory confirmed.

Llandry's face instantly heated, and she buried it in Sigwide's fur. Um, perhaps another time. Didn't you say something about a draykon grave?

Ah! Yes. Come. He soared overhead and she rushed to metamorphose. Sigwide was restored to his early travelling position and she felt him grip with his claws.

Good, she told him.

Food? He replied.

She began to think that improved communication with her trouble-seeking orting might have its downsides.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

153K 5.6K 13
Highest Rank #2 IN FANTASY! COMPLETED! (The last TEN chapters of this book have been taken down due to publishing. ORDER YOUR COPY NOW.) ORDER YOU...
2.2K 383 74
. : Book One : . Melody is a member of one of the five tribes of animal shapeshifters who live beyond the human domain. These people have the ability...
301K 29.1K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...