The Draykon Series (1-3)

By CharlotteEnglish

A sweeping epic fantasy series full of mystery and adventure, rare jewels and mythical creatures. Ancient le... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Draykon: Epilogue
Lokant: Chapter One
Lokant: Chapter Two
Lokant: Chapter Three
Lokant: Chapter Four
Lokant: Chapter Five
Lokant: Chapter Six
Lokant: Chapter Seven
Lokant: Chapter Eight
Lokant: Chapter Nine
Lokant: Chapter Eleven
Lokant: Chapter Twelve
Lokant: Chapter Thirteen
Lokant: Chapter Fourteen
Lokant: Chapter Fifteen
Lokant: Chapter Sixteen
Lokant: Chapter Seventeen
Lokant: Chapter Eighteen
Lokant: Chapter Nineteen
Lokant: Chapter Twenty
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-One
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Two
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Three
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Four
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Five
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Six
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Seven
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Lokant: Chapter Thirty
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-One
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Two
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Three
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Four
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Five
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Six
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Seven
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Eight
Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Nine
Lokant: Chapter Forty
Lokant: Chapter Forty-One
Orlind: Chapter One
Orlind: Chapter Two
Orlind: Chapter Three
Orlind: Chapter Four
Orlind: Chapter Five
Orlind: Chapter Six
Orlind: Chapter Seven
Orlind: Chapter Eight
Orlind: Chapter Nine
Orlind: Chapter Ten
Orlind: Chapter Eleven
Orlind: Chapter Twelve
Orlind: Chapter Thirteen
Orlind: Chapter Fourteen
Orlind: Chapter Fifteen
Orlind: Chapter Sixteen
Orlind: Chapter Seventeen
Orlind: Chapter Eighteen
Orlind: Chapter Nineteen
Orlind: Chapter Twenty
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-One
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Two
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Three
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Four
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Five
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Six
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Seven
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Orlind: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Orlind: Chapter Thirty
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-One
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Orlind: Chapter Thirty-Four

Lokant: Chapter Ten

539 80 0
By CharlotteEnglish

He passed many long hours at the city library, but Eva did not arrive. He found nothing relating to the mysterious Eterna Conflict, and nothing about Ayrien, but that was much as he expected. It was clear by now that this area of research was, for whatever reason, beyond the capacity of the city resources.

Sometime after moonset he abandoned his hope of seeing Eva and went home. There he found a note lying on the floor.

Mr Warvel,

I apologise for my failure to appear at the library today. Vale and I have decided to proceed at once with the wedding. It is another outstanding obligation that I am anxious to remove, that I may focus entirely on our joint venture. We both hope you will attend our modest ceremony at the City Hall on the 12th of this moon.

E. Glostrum.

For a moment he struggled to breath as a cold, sick feeling settled somewhere in the pit of his stomach. The twelfth was five days away. Five! And the coldness of the address hurt. She'd stopped calling him Mr Warvel some time ago; to resurrect it now placed him at an insurmountable distance from her.

He found a chair and sat down. For some minutes he merely sat and tried to breathe, reading the note over and over again. The twelfth. Five days.

Then, with shaky composure, he sat at his desk and wrote a reply to her ladyship. It was not a particularly long response, but it took him some time to form the words.

He posted the letter at the nearest post box. Lady Glostrum had dispatched hers by the expedited messenger service, but he was in no hurry for her to read his reply.

When he returned home, he drew his sturdy travelling bag out of the depths of his wardrobe and began to pack.

***

Carefully, experimentally, Devary Kant flexed his left arm. Most of the left side of his body had been badly injured during his fight with the white-haired sorcerer and his inexplicable escort of whurthag beasts, but now he was whole and hale; not even a scar remained as a souvenir of his ordeal. The muscles of his arm responded perfectly. Encouraged, he went through a few experimental blocks and strikes and stretches, slowly at first then with increasing speed as he pulled off each move perfectly.

His body, then, was fully recovered, even if his mind remained perturbed. His superiors obviously didn't trust him, as he had been locked into his recovery room ever since he had been deposited here. Presumably he was to be released and sent on his errand at their pleasure. He would rather do it at his own.

Llandry Sanfaer. He knew from Ynara that she had last been located in the Upper Realms. How long ago that had been he couldn't say; it had been impossible to measure the passage of time in this stark room where the light levels never varied and he never caught a glimpse of the sky. Llandry might be anywhere by now.

Nonetheless, he would follow the only clue that he had. And if he found her, well... he would handle that when it happened.

He collected the few possessions of his that remained in this room. His clothes had been taken shortly after he arrived, but to his relief they had reappeared, laundered and mended, sometime while he slept. His daggers were gone, of course, and that loss pained him, for they were expensive, perfectly balanced weapons that had been designed for him years ago. But no matter. He would acquire another pair.

The matter of escaping from this place would be no small feat. There were no doors or windows in the bare walls. The one time he had caught sight of his captor, the man had appeared apparently out of the air, as he had done at Ynara's house. Devary could not render himself insubstantial, but he was capable of another kind of translocation. Just barely.

Closing his eyes, he reached for the boundary between the worlds. It always took him some time to find the divide, for he was a sorcerer of no particular talent. He was prepared for that, but today the endeavour took still longer than it should have. He searched diligently, visualising the pathways in his mind, but he found nothing.

Puzzled, he took a few slow breaths and then began again. True, he did not absolutely know whether he currently stood in the Daylands or the Darklands or somewhere in the Seven Realms in between. He kept his mind open, casting for any hint of a route into either the Uppers or the Lower Realms. Still, nothing emerged. The spaces between the worlds yawned before his anxious mind, empty and silent.

This he had not anticipated. True, it was a risky prospect to escape through one of the Off-Worlds. Both were perilous, and without his daggers he would be placing himself at risk. But he trusted his erstwhile employers still less than they apparently trusted him, and he found this desperate option preferable to that of awaiting their next appearance.

If it was denied him, he had nothing; no alternative but to sit and wait and hope that they had no worse plans for him than they had already expressed. But how could it fail? Had he somehow lost even his limited sensitivity to the boundaries while he lay ill?

He took a breath to calm himself and began again. This time, he searched not for the familiar shades of possibility that usually hovered just within reach, but for anything that beckoned, however distantly. And at length, he found something.

It was almost nothing at all; merely the barest whisper of a way. It appeared hazy in his mind's eye, as if muffled or shrouded behind something else. Straining, he sought to grasp it before it vanished, but his mind encountered an obstruction.

It felt like he came up against a wall of gauze, fine but infinitely layered. He could sense, increasingly clearly, the opening that lay behind it, but he couldn't reach it. He beat at the bindings in frustration, but only succeeded in giving himself a headache.

He withdrew, and sat upon his narrow bed to think. He could not force his way through, that was clear enough. But if he could make only the smallest hole in its surface, perhaps he could widen that gap until it was possible for him to slip through.

He tried this. It took all of his power of concentration, and at length it was indeed only the very smallest of gaps he created, but it was enough; the boundary was breached. Sweating and gritting his teeth with the effort, he pulled and worried at that gap until he had worked his way through all the layers, and a hole opened wide enough for him to pass through. Then he paused, gasping for air as he explored the possibilities revealed.

Beyond it stretched not just one pathway, but many.

Staggered, he reeled under the onslaught of so many rends in the boundaries of the worlds. They crowded together, kept apart only by some force of energy that Devary couldn't understand. He felt that, without it, they would merge together into an impossible chaos. For a moment he panicked; how could he determine where to go?

But he swiftly found that it was simple. A glance through each gate sent his vision soaring into the world that lay beyond. Some of the paths led into the Seven Realms: he saw a sun-drenched Glinnery landscape and wondered briefly whether it lay near to the city of Waeverleyne. Ynara would have been left without any knowledge of where (or indeed how) he had gone; for a moment he was sorely tempted to go to her and explain. But he pushed the thought aside. Llandry's need was more immediate.

Another gate offered him passage into the Lower Realms, or so it appeared, and he pressed on feeling encouraged, for there must also be a gate into the Uppers.

At last he found just such a gate. He tensed, ready to hurl himself through it, but for an instant he paused. This collection of gates was remarkable; he had neither seen nor heard of anything like it across the Seven. So where was he? He would have dearly liked to remain and explore in the hopes of answering that question; but once again concern for Llandry spurred him onward.

He clutched at the gate and pulled, dragging himself through the hole he had made in the curious shroud. Gritting his teeth against the nausea that such a gate always generated, he stepped through.

The pain hit him halfway. He resisted the temptation to stop, suspended as he was somewhere between wherever he had come from and wherever he was going to. The not knowing added to his sense of disorientation and he had to force his way out of the gate. He fell through at last and dropped to the ground, his body a mass of pain as if the two worlds between them sought to tear him apart.

As soon as he could breathe again, he staggered upright and wrenched the gate closed. Almost immediately the pain receded and the nausea ebbed away.

He stood in a sea of moss, soft and thick and mottled in shades of yellow and green. An enormous sun shone powerfully overhead and he soon began to sweat. A glance at his surroundings revealed nothing on the horizons but empty sky above and hills covered in moss below. There was nothing to suggest a starting point, nowhere he could begin in his search.

Still, at least he had escaped into the Upper Realm. Stretching out the limbs so recently creased with pain, he lifted his chin and set off in pursuit of Ynara's daughter.

Llandry was learning that when two stubborn old men were placed into the same room together, their individual stubbornness not only doubled but increased tenfold. On the topic of any degree of reconciliation, they were both wholly intractable. At last, dejected, Llandry fled their mutual chill of manner and took refuge in the garden behind Rheas's house.

Inevitably, Pensould followed her.

'You see, Minchu,' he said, sitting on the grass at her feet, 'where one has been wronged, one cannot forgive. Your father understands this. Where one has wronged, one cannot likewise forgive. Your grandfather understands this also. Only you and the Mags expect differently.'

'Mags, Pensould, not the Mags. If we think it possible, why shouldn't they?'

'It is because you are female.'

Llandry bristled. 'Don't tell me it is because women are stupid, or inferior, or some such nonsense.'

Pensould bristled as well, in so like a manner that Llandry wondered if he was making fun of her. 'No draykon female is stupid or inferior. You are strong, but you see things differently. And I, too, am different.'

'Oh? In what way are you different? You're a male as well.'

'But I am no ordinary male. I am the special and magnificent type of male which you have never before seen. From me, you should expect marvels.' Pensould gave her a hopeful smile, in which he showed too much of his teeth.

Llandry couldn't help smiling back. 'Are you indeed? How fortunate that I should have met one of those by chance.'

'It is not chance,' said Pensould solemnly. 'It is fate. You are wrong to resist me.'

'Oh? You pursue me because I'm the only female draykon around.'

'Not so.' Pensould looked affronted.

Llandry stood up and flexed her wings. 'Well, anyway. I think it's time to take Papa home.'

Llandry waited with anxiety as Pensould helped Aysun to seat himself on Llandry's back. She had never carried a human before, and this was her father; what if she hurt him?

She hadn't chosen to use a gate because she didn't want to take him straight home, not right away. She'd come to realise how much her father had missed out on during his years of self-imposed exile from the Uppers. It was her home, now; she couldn't imagine leaving it, no matter how much she loved Glinnery and her parents. She wanted her father to see some of its beauty, to feel the magic of the place. She hoped he might then understand her choice.

Once in the air, she circled away from her grandfather's house and began a tour of some of her favourite places in the Uppers. It took some time, for she flew slowly to avoid hurting or losing Aysun. But it was worth it. As they flew over lakes and waterfalls, woods and valleys, mountains and wolds, she felt Aysun's tension relax and his suspicion and fear give way to wonder.

That was victory enough for today. Careful not to overdo it, she headed for home. It was an advantage that, for her, passage through the boundaries was virtually seamless, with none of the nausea and pain that marred the experience of traversing a sorcerer-wrought gate. Nonetheless, Aysun endured it as though it were an ordeal; Llandry could feel his tension return tenfold as he sat between her vast wings.

Ah, well. He would grow used to that soon enough as well.

When they arrived home, a small sea of reporters awaited them.

They were assembled just far enough from the Sanfaer home that Ynara herself probably couldn't see them from the window. Llandry guessed that she had thrown them out, but they, unbelievably, had outright disobeyed the order of an Elder and lingered anyway. As Llandry landed gracefully and let Aysun down from her back, the flashing lights of many image-capture machines went off around her.

And under the onslaught of their curiosity and their scrutiny, Llandry felt her old nerves crowding upon her for the first time since her transformation. She shifted back to her human form clumsily, too aware of the intrusive gaze of her audience. Pensould however strode up to them in his draykon form, flexing his wings and lifting his chin. He roared for their benefit, then slowly metamorphosed into his still-imperfect human shape, obviously relishing the attention. Grabbing his arm, Llandry dragged him away.

'You're such an exhibitionist,' she muttered as she pulled him towards the elevator.

'Are you displeased? But they are here for a show! I must not disappoint. Why are we walking?'

'Because you... oh.' Previously Pensould had been wingless, like her father, but now she noticed he had sprouted a pair of grey wings like her own.

'I forgot, before.'

'Well, my father must still walk.'

'He must grow some wings as well. I will tell him.' Pensould turned around to do just that, but Llandry grabbed his hand again and pulled him back.

'He can't, Pensould. For us, our human shapes are fixed.'

'Can't? Nonsense. For lesser humans, perhaps, but I can feel plenty of ability in him. Why, he is almost as much draykon as you or I, Minchu, and you too could change this shape of yours if you wished.'

Llandry stopped, electrified by this idea. 'I could?'

Pensould tsked. 'Your education has been lacking. For you, very little is fixed. You must learn this. If you can manipulate the world around you as you choose – and this I have seen you do – then why not yourself also?'

Llandry noticed abruptly that Pensould's colouring had improved immeasurably and his mannerisms were becoming steadily more passable as human. He was perfecting his image very quickly indeed. In fact he was even learning how to make himself quite handsome by human standards.

'That's a horrible idea,' Llandry said at last. 'Imagine if anybody could appear in any way that they liked, changing all the time. You'd never know who was who.'

'Of course you would. I know who you are because you feel like my Minchu. It has nothing to do with your face.'

Llandry had no time to reply, for they were at the door. Aysun had still said nothing at all, and when the door opened to reveal Ynara he merely embraced his wife and then disappeared inside. They heard the door to his study close – not loudly, but firmly – and then silence.

Ynara looked at Llandry. 'It didn't go well, I take it.'

'Not particularly well, no.' She paused. 'Although not for the reasons you might think.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 519 20
What are wings for if not for flying with dragons in the realm where islands float in the sky? The life of order and monotony is not enough for a win...
300K 29.1K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...
780K 27.4K 62
The Elder Dragons are an old race, as old as the magic that permeates this world. They are the oldest of races and in the times of fire and lava at t...
1.7K 202 47
❝ In a world tainted by decadent rulers, the Princess must step back to her kingdom for a revamp of the rules, claiming her rightful place on the thr...